HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

New Team for 2013

Old
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
Maybe I am missing something, but absent NHL expansion, hasn't the league said that they want 1 Ahl team for every 1 NHL team?

IceCapsFanNL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but absent NHL expansion, hasn't the league said that they want 1 Ahl team for every 1 NHL team?
I believe the issue is that the Flyers have the Phantoms in Adirondack(Glen Falls) this year, they are moving to Lehigh Valley not next season but the one after. With the lease up in Glen Falls, the Phantoms need a spot to play for just one season.

However, Glen Falls has proven to be worthy of having an AHL team, so it's likely another franchise will move in.

Question is, where do the Phantoms play next season?

If it's not Glen Falls, does someone else step in right away?

Would the Phantoms play 1yr in the city that loses their team to Glen Falls?

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
will5059

How has glens falls "proven to be worthy of having an ahl team"? With all due respect there is only four teams in the league that draw less fans per game. I fail to see why the league has to treat them like they're the Cleveland Browns. I hate to see cities lose their teams, believe me but it was known from the start that this was a temporary deal.

will5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
How has glens falls "proven to be worthy of having an ahl team"? With all due respect there is only four teams in the league that draw less fans per game. I fail to see why the league has to treat them like they're the Cleveland Browns. I hate to see cities lose their teams, believe me but it was known from the start that this was a temporary deal.
Because a lot of fans won't commit to a team that's going to leave in a couple of years. I think if you ask a lot of longtime AHL fans, they praise Glens Falls as one of the good old barns in the league that lost their team originally back in '99 under bad circumstances.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:35 AM
mk80

Well it may be a stretch but the Phantoms could share the Wells Fargo Center next year. I mean the scheduling would be hard with the Flyers, and 76ers having priority. But they could pull it off for the year, after all lets not foget the Phantoms used to play in Philly, so there may be some former season ticket holders willing to jump on board for a year, plus with the size of the market other fans would support the team, and then of course the affiliation with the Flyers doesn't hurt. They could even take on the Leigh Valley name.

Its just the big hurdle of scheduling. With the Flyers, 76ers, Wings, and Soul already sharing the arena, and they all already have overlapping seasons. However the Phantoms did manage to play some playoff games and Calder Cup finals there in the past.

Last edited by mk80: 12-13-2012 at 12:46 AM.
mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Rumblick

They could do a version of what the Scranton Yankees baseball team did this past season - play a full schedule with no true home arena. 10-15 games at Atlantic City & Philly, maybe a few in Reading and / or Trenton, and play the rest as road games (they could conceivably play all games against the Bears & Pens at the other team's home arena, though listing half of them as Phantoms "home" games).

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
Well it may be a stretch but the Phantoms could share the Wells Fargo Center next year. I mean the scheduling would be hard with the Flyers, and 76ers having priority. But they could pull it off for the year, after all lets not foget the Phantoms used to play in Philly, so there may be some former season ticket holders willing to jump on board for a year, plus with the size of the market other fans would support the team, and then of course the affiliation with the Flyers doesn't hurt. They could even take on the Leigh Valley name.

Its just the big hurdle of scheduling. With the Flyers, 76ers, Wings, and Soul already sharing the arena, and they all already have overlapping seasons. However the Phantoms did manage to play some playoff games and Calder Cup finals there in the past.
Between the Flyers, Sixers, NCAA basketball, concerts, Soul and Wings there would be very few open weekend dates for an AHL hockey team.

I'm also not sure how much support they would get. Their attendance in their last couple of years in Philadelphia was mediocre at best.

There are enough vacant arenas out there that the Brooks shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 1 year home for the Phantoms.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote