HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

New Team for 2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
  #26
IceCapsFanNL
Registered User
 
IceCapsFanNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Maybe I am missing something, but absent NHL expansion, hasn't the league said that they want 1 Ahl team for every 1 NHL team?

IceCapsFanNL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
  #27
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!
 
Flukeshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Milton, Ont
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but absent NHL expansion, hasn't the league said that they want 1 Ahl team for every 1 NHL team?
I believe the issue is that the Flyers have the Phantoms in Adirondack(Glen Falls) this year, they are moving to Lehigh Valley not next season but the one after. With the lease up in Glen Falls, the Phantoms need a spot to play for just one season.

However, Glen Falls has proven to be worthy of having an AHL team, so it's likely another franchise will move in.

Question is, where do the Phantoms play next season?

If it's not Glen Falls, does someone else step in right away?

Would the Phantoms play 1yr in the city that loses their team to Glen Falls?

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
  #28
will5059
Registered User
 
will5059's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison CT
Country: United States
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
How has glens falls "proven to be worthy of having an ahl team"? With all due respect there is only four teams in the league that draw less fans per game. I fail to see why the league has to treat them like they're the Cleveland Browns. I hate to see cities lose their teams, believe me but it was known from the start that this was a temporary deal.

will5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
  #29
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 9,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
How has glens falls "proven to be worthy of having an ahl team"? With all due respect there is only four teams in the league that draw less fans per game. I fail to see why the league has to treat them like they're the Cleveland Browns. I hate to see cities lose their teams, believe me but it was known from the start that this was a temporary deal.
Because a lot of fans won't commit to a team that's going to leave in a couple of years. I think if you ask a lot of longtime AHL fans, they praise Glens Falls as one of the good old barns in the league that lost their team originally back in '99 under bad circumstances.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:35 AM
  #30
mk80
Registered User
 
mk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Well it may be a stretch but the Phantoms could share the Wells Fargo Center next year. I mean the scheduling would be hard with the Flyers, and 76ers having priority. But they could pull it off for the year, after all lets not foget the Phantoms used to play in Philly, so there may be some former season ticket holders willing to jump on board for a year, plus with the size of the market other fans would support the team, and then of course the affiliation with the Flyers doesn't hurt. They could even take on the Leigh Valley name.

Its just the big hurdle of scheduling. With the Flyers, 76ers, Wings, and Soul already sharing the arena, and they all already have overlapping seasons. However the Phantoms did manage to play some playoff games and Calder Cup finals there in the past.


Last edited by mk80: 12-13-2012 at 12:46 AM.
mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:03 AM
  #31
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
They could do a version of what the Scranton Yankees baseball team did this past season - play a full schedule with no true home arena. 10-15 games at Atlantic City & Philly, maybe a few in Reading and / or Trenton, and play the rest as road games (they could conceivably play all games against the Bears & Pens at the other team's home arena, though listing half of them as Phantoms "home" games).

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
  #32
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
Well it may be a stretch but the Phantoms could share the Wells Fargo Center next year. I mean the scheduling would be hard with the Flyers, and 76ers having priority. But they could pull it off for the year, after all lets not foget the Phantoms used to play in Philly, so there may be some former season ticket holders willing to jump on board for a year, plus with the size of the market other fans would support the team, and then of course the affiliation with the Flyers doesn't hurt. They could even take on the Leigh Valley name.

Its just the big hurdle of scheduling. With the Flyers, 76ers, Wings, and Soul already sharing the arena, and they all already have overlapping seasons. However the Phantoms did manage to play some playoff games and Calder Cup finals there in the past.
Between the Flyers, Sixers, NCAA basketball, concerts, Soul and Wings there would be very few open weekend dates for an AHL hockey team.

I'm also not sure how much support they would get. Their attendance in their last couple of years in Philadelphia was mediocre at best.

There are enough vacant arenas out there that the Brooks shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 1 year home for the Phantoms.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.