HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 3.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
  #701
Mtlmanhabs*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Oh ya? I remember Price choking in the shootout and Toews saving his ass.
What i dont remember is the leafs making the playoffs

Mtlmanhabs* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
  #702
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
really loving the way Corrado is playing - hope they don't put Dumba or Murphy ahead of him simply because of their pedigree. He's been great in these last few games and has had a solid season.
i agree. i would love to see a couple of big dumba hits but corrado is playing great. for a more defensive guy he seems to be pretty good offensively as well

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:12 AM
  #703
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
i agree. i would love to see a couple of big dumba hits but corrado is playing great. for a more defensive guy he seems to be pretty good offensively as well
He's definitely not comparatively an offensive defenceman compared to some of the players on likely to make the WJC roster, but he's no slouch in that regard - definitely above average offensively and can create some chances as has been shown (even if the one goal was lucky). I think the fact that he'll almost always make a safe smart play will make him an asset to a team with a few other pieces rearing to jump into the play at the first opportunity.

deckercky is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:27 AM
  #704
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
My new predictions:

Scheifele-RNH-Rattie - Top scoring line
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Drouin - Chemistry, elite skill
Ritchie-Strome-Jenner - Niagara chemistry, Jenner+Ritchie bring physicality
Hudon-Danault-McNeill - Checking line
Shinkaruk


Rielly-Hamilton - Top D Pair
Harrington-Ouellet - Shut down
Reinhart - Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Paterson
Great lineup, I might disagree with hunter but otherwise you mirror my thoughts exactly.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:37 AM
  #705
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Oh ya? I remember Price choking in the shootout and Toews saving his ass.
I remember being very happy that Price stopped Mueller on his third attempt using the exact same move...skating in from the left, faking a shot, cutting slightly right and quickly roofing it. He had already been beaten by Johnson twice using the exact same shot low blocker side. So I kind of have to agree that Price was not stellar in that shoot out. He was fortunate that Mueller apparently only had one move. But really, who cares? He made one more save than Frazee and he was stellar the rest of the actual games. Easily our best goalie over the last streak.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:38 AM
  #706
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's having a bad WHL season and he's doing badly at camp. What he did in the summer and last season is irrelevant now. This is a short tournament, they can't afford to be waiting around for him to find his game.
A bad season?

How many Red Deer Rebel games have you watched this year?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:46 AM
  #707
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,073
vCash: 50
Funny reading all these comments about how Subban is going to suck and that he a product of the media...from seeing him in Belleville the last two seasons about forty times..he's going to shut you all up.

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:50 AM
  #708
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
This is what I would like to see:


Schieffle RNH Rattie
Drouin Mackinnon Huberdeau (lethat in SSS)
Hudon Strome Ritchie (Niagara commection + Hudon played well with Strome this summer)
Danault Jenner Wilson
McNeil

Hamilton Rielly
Harrington Ouellet
Reinhart Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Brossoit
Binnington

hab 4ever is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:51 AM
  #709
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Canadians are a bit sensitive about their U20 goaltenders and reasonably so.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:53 AM
  #710
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
A bad season?

How many Red Deer Rebel games have you watched this year?
He is not playing well. And for a physical player, he isn't a physical specimen. Only Murphy is shorter and weighs less. He isn't punishing guys, he is making poor decisions and his skating is just poor compared to others. He is getting beaten wide and that does not bode well for when we play the Russians. Their East-West game will expose him.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:07 AM
  #711
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKnPRICE View Post
usually choking results to losing, but you're obviously here to troll so i'm just going to end this conversation right here. Just think about the fact that they won the game, the championship afterwards and you're ranting about how bad the MVP goalie was in a shootout that he still won regardless of what you say. Makes sense doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtlmanhabs View Post
What i dont remember is the leafs making the playoffs
This isn't about Leafs vs Habs and it's not trolling. It's about Price playing bad in the shootout. Fortunately for Canada, Frazee also played very bad. You're right, PKnPRICE, Canada still won regardless, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a poor shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I remember being very happy that Price stopped Mueller on his third attempt using the exact same move...skating in from the left, faking a shot, cutting slightly right and quickly roofing it. He had already been beaten by Johnson twice using the exact same shot low blocker side. So I kind of have to agree that Price was not stellar in that shoot out. He was fortunate that Mueller apparently only had one move. But really, who cares? He made one more save than Frazee and he was stellar the rest of the actual games. Easily our best goalie over the last streak.
Actually, on Muellers third attempt he didn't try and roof it glove side, he tried to go fivehole and shot it right at Price. Had he went to roof it again, he may have scored because it seemed Price was content in staying in the middle of the net. We'll never know because he didn't though.

stlblues9 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:13 AM
  #712
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Dang, 3/4.

Pouliot had a good camp, should have kept him for another game to be honest.
He was horrid in the Subway series.

That probably sealed his fate.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
  #713
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
-Malcom Subban played poorly today but his body of work far exceeds anyone elses
-Jake Paterson has played his way into the second spot in front of Broissoit
Come again?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:24 AM
  #714
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
I think Drouin should make the team. He is better than Hudon.

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:24 AM
  #715
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Two bad games now. But that's not the problem, it's how Dumba was exposed today. He was burnt to the outside several times and his back skating was downright brutal. He was also out of position most of the time and challenged forwards too aggressively when facing a rush. So it's not that he's having bad games, it's how bad his tools and toolbox look on big ice against this type of competition.
He also caught Rachinksi from behind on a breakaway.

I cant think of too many (or any) dmen that can do that.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 AM
  #716
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He is not playing well. And for a physical player, he isn't a physical specimen. Only Murphy is shorter and weighs less. He isn't punishing guys, he is making poor decisions and his skating is just poor compared to others. He is getting beaten wide and that does not bode well for when we play the Russians. Their East-West game will expose him.
His skating is poor?

You dont know what you are talking about.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its true.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:40 AM
  #717
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
His skating is poor?

You dont know what you are talking about.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its true.
You're the one that seems obsessed with Dumba and has no clue. Everyone that watched the game today saw Dumba skating backwards in quicksand. He was by far the slowest backwards skater on the ice and had horrible lateral movement. Every single poster here commented on it because it was so apparent. He got beat to the outside at least four or five times by players who weren't even that fast. It's pretty clear that you didn't actually watch the game and are just defending your favourite prospect.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:42 AM
  #718
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
This is just a sampling of comments about Dumba's skating:

Quote:
Dumba is a slow skater if he wants to make this team he is going to have to move those feet. On numerous plays i saw the forward skate around him and he just couldn't keep up.


THIS! I have been telling people this for years and no one has believed me


He reminds me of Phaneuf so much. Big hitter, big shot, has a few brain cramps at times. And like you said slow skater.


Dumba skates fairly well in one direction, but his backwards skating, lateral movement, etc. are all average or below average.


For me, Corrado or Dumba are that guy. Dynamic, able to play a shutdown game if needed, and also are able to contribute offensively if that is required of them as well.


Yeah... not like that for Dumba if he wants to make it. Not like that.


Dumba and Pelech....two of the slowest skaters lol


The only one I dont want to pick is dumba. I think hes the type of d-man that needs big minutes to play well. He has a below average IQ, so if his confidence takes a blow too due to low minutes he will probably be a train wreck for us.


Wow, Dumba is so not in this game. And his skating is getting exposed big time. Horrible.


Dumba looking slow


Corrado looks good to make the team right now, Dumba and some of the other defensemen have sucked.


Also looked like Dumbas lost out there from what I saw, does anyone actually think he makes this team?


Dumba will stay (for now at least) because Spott loves him, not based on his play so far.


Dumba has been downright brutal, constantly getting skated around when skating backwards — horrible mobility in this game.
Last-year pre-draft on a Flames blog:

Quote:
Dumba is a bad skater. Well, let me clarify. He has wheels in one direction, forwards. His agility is pretty terrible because he skates like a knock knee'd stork.
Wild blog post-draft:

Quote:
MINUS: Matt Dumba—After being drafted #7 overall by the Wild less than a month ago, Dumba stated that his goal was to make the Wild’s roster THIS season. Well, he definitely has a strong north-south game and can finish when trailing on the rush, but I’m afraid he will have to vastly improve is backward and lateral skating before playing in the NHL.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:44 AM
  #719
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
His skating is poor?

You dont know what you are talking about.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its true.
Must have been his twin brother Mitt that keeps getting beaten wide.

Maybe you are the liquor a little too much there Lahey because he is not deserving of a spot.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:54 AM
  #720
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Sorry guys, but Im a season ticket holder in the same division as Dumba. Id wager Ive seen him play much more than both of you combined and especially live.

You can quote stuff youve read if you like, but if it says Dumba is a poor skater, whoever wrote it doesnt have a clue. Parroting it here doesnt change that, all it does is propagate ignorance.

If you know anything about the WHL, you will know that Rhett Rachinski can pick them up and put them down. Im wagering neither of you have seen him play either, although there is an outside chance you may have seen him at the memorial cup last year.

Today he had a clear breakaway, if you were watching and paying attention, and Dumba caught him from behind at the last second interfering with his stick and muffling a quality scoring chance, possibly saving a goal against.

Of all the other dmen in camp, I think only Morgan Rielly could have caught Rachinski from behind. Would you say Morgan Rielly is a poor skater? Because, sorry to say, that is pretty much what you are saying when you call Dumba a poor skater.

People reading that who watch the WHL and know what they are talking about are laughing at those statements right now. Im not kidding.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
  #721
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sorry guys, but Im a season ticket holder in the same division as Dumba. Id wager Ive seen him play much more than both of you combined and especially live.

You can quote stuff youve read if you like, but if it says Dumba is a poor skater, whoever wrote it doesnt have a clue. Parroting it here doesnt change that, all it does is propagate ignorance.

If you know anything about the WHL, you will know that Rhett Rachinski can pick them up and put them down. Im wagering neither of you have seen him play either, although there is an outside chance you may have seen him at the memorial cup last year.

Today he had a clear breakaway, if you were watching and paying attention, and Dumba caught him from behind at the last second interfering with his stick and muffling a quality scoring chance, possibly saving a goal against.

Of all the other dmen in camp, I think only Morgan Rielly could have caught Rachinski from behind. Would you say Morgan Rielly is a poor skater? Because, sorry to say, that is pretty much what you are saying when you call Dumba a poor skater.

People reading that who watch the WHL and know what they are talking about are laughing at those statements right now. Im not kidding.
Skating forwards and skating backwards are two completely different things. I've seen Dumba play enough to know that he has never been a great backwards skater.

This is just like an argument on Canucks board recently about Keith Ballard's skating. Similar problem to Dumba, skates great forwards but backwards? Not a chance.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:01 AM
  #722
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Skating forwards and skating backwards are two completely different things. I've seen Dumba play enough to know that he has never been a great backwards skater.

This is just like an argument on Canucks board recently about Keith Ballard's skating. Similar problem to Dumba, skates great forwards but backwards? Not a chance.
The defensive part of his game is what is weak. That includes getting caught out of position, or not reading plays well, not having proper position or maintaining gap control etc.

Ive seen Nik Lidstrom get burned to the outside. Does that mean he is a poor backwards skater?

Keep it up if you want, but Im telling you right now, people are laughing at the "Dumba is a poor skater" comments.

And with good reason.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:03 AM
  #723
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The defensive part of his game is what is weak. That includes getting caught out of position, or not reading plays well, not having proper position or maintaining gap control etc.
Ok. Clearly everyone who watched the game today just imagined Dumba having huge issues skating backwards with any sort of decent speed. Or the fact that it took him about a minute to get up to his top speed skating backwards. Or the subpar pivots throughout the game or the mediocre lateral movement. Yep, all just a dream.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:04 AM
  #724
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
This isn't about Leafs vs Habs and it's not trolling. It's about Price playing bad in the shootout. Fortunately for Canada, Frazee also played very bad. You're right, PKnPRICE, Canada still won regardless, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a poor shootout.
As a goalie, your job is to let in less goal that the guy 200 feet away from you. Price outperformed the other goalie, thats ALL that matters. I could care less if he gave up 4 goals out of 7 shots or whatever it was as long as it was one less than Frazee.

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:06 AM
  #725
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The defensive part of his game is what is weak. That includes getting caught out of position, or not reading plays well, not having proper position or maintaining gap control etc.
If his back skating was as good as you are making it sound, then it should have more than compensated for all those other deficiencies you listed.

Hank4Hart is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.