HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 Canada 3.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 02:08 AM
  #726
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
After penciling him into their lineups, everyone just wants to see Dumba fail and they chose his skating as the thing to pick on. Not his defensive play or his lack of physicality in this tournament, nope we chose his skating because that's the easiest target.

Tiranis is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:09 AM
  #727
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Ok. Clearly everyone who watched the game today just imagined Dumba having huge issues skating backwards with any sort of decent speed. Or the fact that it took him about a minute to get up to his top speed skating backwards. Or the subpar pivots throughout the game or the mediocre lateral movement. Yep, all just a dream.
Oh, I see. Is this the first time youve seen Dumba? You and the others who make up "everyone"?

See its funny that the "backwards" comments come to the fore AFTER I pointed out an example of Dumba's speed IN TODAY'S GAME. Well of course, he was going forward in that example.

I know! Let's say he has trouble skating "backwards". Great idea! That will fool him.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:10 AM
  #728
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Oh, I see. Is this the first time youve seen Dumba? You and the others who make up "everyone"?

See its funny that the "backwards" comments come to the fore AFTER I pointed out an example of Dumba's speed IN TODAY'S GAME. Well of course, he was going forward in that example.

I know! Let's say he has trouble skating "backwards". Great idea! That will fool him.
Seriously? Those comments were made DURING the game. I posted like 15 quotes of people criticizing his backwards skating during the game. Again, this is from today, way before your post:

Quote:
Dumba is a slow skater if he wants to make this team he is going to have to move those feet. On numerous plays i saw the forward skate around him and he just couldn't keep up.
Quote:
THIS! I have been telling people this for years and no one has believed me
Quote:
He reminds me of Phaneuf so much. Big hitter, big shot, has a few brain cramps at times. And like you said slow skater.
Quote:
Dumba and Pelech....two of the slowest skaters lol
Just a few of the comments from today's game, as it happened.

Tiranis is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:10 AM
  #729
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sorry guys, but Im a season ticket holder in the same division as Dumba. Id wager Ive seen him play much more than both of you combined and especially live.

You can quote stuff youve read if you like, but if it says Dumba is a poor skater, whoever wrote it doesnt have a clue. Parroting it here doesnt change that, all it does is propagate ignorance.

If you know anything about the WHL, you will know that Rhett Rachinski can pick them up and put them down. Im wagering neither of you have seen him play either, although there is an outside chance you may have seen him at the memorial cup last year.

Today he had a clear breakaway, if you were watching and paying attention, and Dumba caught him from behind at the last second interfering with his stick and muffling a quality scoring chance, possibly saving a goal against.

Of all the other dmen in camp, I think only Morgan Rielly could have caught Rachinski from behind. Would you say Morgan Rielly is a poor skater? Because, sorry to say, that is pretty much what you are saying when you call Dumba a poor skater.

People reading that who watch the WHL and know what they are talking about are laughing at those statements right now. Im not kidding.
It's good to know that when he gets beaten wide because HE CAN'T SKATE BACKWARDS, he is fast enough SKATING FORWARD to catch his opponent, provided he has half a rink to chase him down.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:16 AM
  #730
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
It's good to know that when he gets beaten wide because HE CAN'T SKATE BACKWARDS, he is fast enough SKATING FORWARD to catch his opponent, provided he has half a rink to chase him down.
If you dont like Dumba's game or how he has played, I have no problem with that. Tbh, its hard to follow what is going on, on a 4" screen on a laptop, with red jerseys and black numbers that nobody can see, but please, make some sense in what you are criticizing him for. Because his skating is his best attribute. Its what he is best at. And he is pretty damn good at it. Better than most of the dmen trying out for the team in fact.

So if he cant skate, then oh boy are we in a lot of trouble against the Russians.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:19 AM
  #731
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If you dont like Dumba's game or how he has played, I have no problem with that. Tbh, its hard to follow what is going on, on a 4" screen on a laptop, with red jerseys and black numbers that nobody can see, but please, make some sense in what you are criticizing him for. Because his skating is his best attribute. Its what he is best at. And he is pretty damn good at it. Better than most of the dmen trying out for the team in fact.

So if he cant skate, then oh boy are we in a lot of trouble against the Russians.
Maybe you should watch the game next time instead of arguing with people that actually did. It's not as if it's just two of us that thought he was slow. There were posts constantly, both on the fasthockey chat and on here about his slowness. Both today and yesterday.


Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 12-13-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: edit
Tiranis is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
  #732
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If you dont like Dumba's game or how he has played, I have no problem with that. Tbh, its hard to follow what is going on, on a 4" screen on a laptop, with red jerseys and black numbers that nobody can see, but please, make some sense in what you are criticizing him for. Because his skating is his best attribute. Its what he is best at. And he is pretty damn good at it. Better than most of the dmen trying out for the team in fact.

So if he cant skate, then oh boy are we in a lot of trouble against the Russians.
You are aware that skating involves more than just flat out speed. It includes pivoting and lateral movement, in which he was exposed badly for two straight games.

And Dumba's made himself easy to spot out there, even on your 4" monitor. He's the one making mistakes.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
  #733
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Did you watch the games the past two days? What excuse do you have for him repeatedly being beaten wide?
Hard to say without specific context. Maybe the forward got the jump on him? Could be the forward was a really good skater himself?

It really doesnt matter much. Ive seen Morgan Rielly get beat wide. Paul Coffey lots of times. Are those guys bad skaters? Can they not skate backwards?

Sometimes good dmen get beat. Dumba isnt really elite at the defensive side of things anyway. Ive seen Reinhart get beat wide lots of times. Should we cut him too? Where are the pages of comments about his inability to skate backwards?

Im telling you that people who have watched Dumba multiple times over the last 2 and a half years know that skating is one of his strengths, not a weakness. They will and are laughing at this. Not even kidding.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:28 AM
  #734
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,712
vCash: 500
Not sure if I'm sold on cutting Dumba just yet, but he'll have to put on one hell of a show tomorrow to make a case to stay. He's been pretty terrible thus far.

TonsofPuppies* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:29 AM
  #735
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Maybe you should watch the game next time instead of arguing with people that actually did. It's not as if it's just two of us that thought he was slow. There were posts constantly, both on the fasthockey chat and on here about his slowness. Both today and yesterday.
Um, I gave you an example of Dumba catching a really fast skater from behind IN THE GAME TODAY? Hello?!? Are you paying attention?

Quote:
You're quite dense, aren't you? Posts from other members. Those aren't mine. I could quote another 10-15 easily. And that's not even mentioning the kind of crap he got for his skating on the fasthockey chat.
Fasthockey chat you say? Well, that changes everything doesnt it? Why didnt you say so in the first place? I mean, as a season ticket holder who goes to live games all the time, I thought I may bring something to bear, have some insight to add to the subject of poor club footed Matt Dumba, but I had no idea I would be challenged by posts from the experts at fasthockey chat.

I give. You win. Please, dont bring up quotes from tumblr or facebook. I dont think I can take the shame!

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:29 AM
  #736
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 50
Fast and slow is all relative to what you're comparing a person to.

I think Dumba has amazing forward speed but relatively his lateral and reverse mobility is not as fast.

Relative to most CHL players, he's very fast in all 4 ways.
Relative to his own forward speed, he's a tad slow laterally/reverse.
Relative to some of his blue line competition, he isn't as quick (as some) in reverse/lateral.

So really everyone could be right... in the right perspective.

garret9 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:31 AM
  #737
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hard to say without specific context. Maybe the forward got the jump on him? Could be the forward was a really good skater himself?

It really doesnt matter much. Ive seen Morgan Rielly get beat wide. Paul Coffey lots of times. Are those guys bad skaters? Can they not skate backwards?

Sometimes good dmen get beat. Dumba isnt really elite at the defensive side of things anyway. Ive seen Reinhart get beat wide lots of times. Should we cut him too? Where are the pages of comments about his inability to skate backwards?

Im telling you that people who have watched Dumba multiple times over the last 2 and a half years know that skating is one of his strengths, not a weakness. They will and are laughing at this. Not even kidding.
C'mon now...how could any forward get the jump on Dumba? You've already proven he is one of the top skaters on all of team Canada because he chased a guy down. No one is going to believe this excuse now. You've lawyered yourself.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:37 AM
  #738
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,653
vCash: 50
Knock off the bickering and personal accusations.

__________________
Uncle Jed, I decided I ain't gonna be a brain sturgeon.
Chairman Maouth is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:46 AM
  #739
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,668
vCash: 50
Corrado is going to make it tough for Spott to cut him, that's for sure.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 03:28 AM
  #740
deakka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
How Pouliot got cut instead of Dumba (and to a certain degree Murphy) is beyond me.

deakka is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 03:34 AM
  #741
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
How Pouliot got cut instead of Dumba (and to a certain degree Murphy) is beyond me.
Dumba has a better international resume, a wider range of skills than Pouliot (arguably) and has flat out just played better recently against the Russians.

Pouliot was gross in the Subway series. Good player though, and he has nothing to be ashamed about that's for sure.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:08 AM
  #742
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I'm a little surpised that Monahan was cut, no other surpised though..
i would have to say i am very surprised he was cut. That must mean that openings are coming for Mackinnon and maybe Drouin.Those two must be making it difficult for HC to cut them.

clarkebr is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:27 AM
  #743
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
mind as well re name this the Frankie Corrado and Matt Dumba thred.

Torts is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:37 AM
  #744
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
mind as well re name this the Frankie Corrado and Matt Dumba thred.
Or trashing Matt Dumba because Canuck fans want Frank Corrado to make the team. I'm willing to bet that if Corrado wasn't involved a lot of these posts about Dumba wouldn't be here,

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 06:21 AM
  #745
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Or trashing Matt Dumba because Canuck fans want Frank Corrado to make the team. I'm willing to bet that if Corrado wasn't involved a lot of these posts about Dumba wouldn't be here,
To be fair, I would rather HC had kept Pouliot over Dumba for the first round of cuts - that doesn't improve Corrado's chances. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Corrado make it, but I want Canada to win first and foremost, and I don't think Dumba's play thus far has warranted him making it past the first cuts.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
  #746
duul
Registered User
 
duul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,858
vCash: 50
What time is the game at today? Also anybody know what the lineup will look like?

duul is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 07:17 AM
  #747
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Haha, without sifting through alot of the junk in this thread can anyone sum it up and let me know who has been cut so far?

Gary83* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 07:39 AM
  #748
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Haha, without sifting through alot of the junk in this thread can anyone sum it up and let me know who has been cut so far?
Pelech, Graovac, Pouliot, Monahan, Beaulivier

WonderTwinsUnite is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 07:57 AM
  #749
c_robio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I think Drouin has done enough to get the 13th forward and MacKinnon has shown he should be in the top 6. That probably means Shinkaruk is the odd man out. I think 12 forwards are set with RNH, Scheifele, Huberdeau, Strome, MacKinnon, Ritchie, Jenner, Hudon, Rattie, Danault, MacNeill, and Drouin. They probably will want one more big bodied physical player. I'm guessing Camara, so my forward cuts are Lipon, Wilson, Cattenacci and Shinkaruk.

Top 4 are a given on D and Griffin and Frank should get the last two regular spots. Spott will take Murphy, so the cuts are Wootherspoon, Sproul and Dumba. Dumba is only still here based on his pedigree.

I'm not going to guess forward lines anymore because I have no idea what pairings or positions the coach will want to place these guys. I think MacKinnon would do better on left wing than right, but that's just my opinion. If Spott wants to keep Strome with his line mate Ritchie, that stretches the top 6 to a more balanced top 9. So many of these players can play up and down from first to third line, that anything could happen.
Well put , I have the same cuts with these lines

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie
Danault-Jenner-McNeill
Drouin-Mackinnon-Rattie
Camara

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Murphy
Corrado

Subban
Brossoit
Paterson

Drouin showed some good chemistry with Rattie so I'm hoping they consider a 3rd scoring line.

Shinkaruk played well but I think he and Drouin are after the same 4th LW/13th Forward spot.

Camara I like at 4th LW if they go with a traditional bottom 6, or with 3 scoring lines he'd be my 13th forward.

c_robio is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 08:20 AM
  #750
Lalonde
Registered User
 
Lalonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lalonde
My final cuts:

Binnington/

Sproul
Wotherspoon
Dumba/


Catenacci
Camara
Lipon
Drouin/




So, my prediction on the roster something like-----

Subban-Brossoit
(Paterson-third G)

----------------------

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart- Murphy
Corrado
------------------------

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Shinkaruk
McKinnon

Lalonde is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.