HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs 8th in Hockey's Future Team Prospect Rankings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  #76
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well it depends what you are looking for when making such a ranking. I'm pretty confident both Tinordi and LL will be NHLers, but I don't think it's very likely either will be high end; Personally I suspect Leblanc will be a 2nd/3rd line tweener, as in a great third liner or a second liner depending on how your team is balanced, but from what I see from him I don't see a guy who will light up the scoreboard. Tinordi has the potential to be a top pairing guy but I think his realistic upside is a high end 4th defender, like Leblanc the type of valuable player every team wants but not typically regarded as the difference maker.

Collberg and Beaulieu on the other hand have all-star potential, but also greater risks. I'm pretty confident Collberg will be an NHLer, but there's a chance he ends up nothing more than a one dimensional depth scorer; there's also a chance he ends up a first liner. Beaulieu is an even bigger risk but he has all the tools to at least be a mid pairing PP specialist and a ceiling comparable to Subban.

HF ranks LL a 7B, Tinordi a 7.5C, Beaulieu an 8C and Collberg an 8D. Gally is an 8.5C to them. I sort of agree with those, saying Collberg has a higher risk than Beaulieu makes sense if you consider only upside (Collberg is less likely to bust but also less likely to be elite IMO)

For me, because I value upside when you discuss high end prospects, the top 5 ranking is Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Collberg, Tinordi, Leblanc.
I really like Tinordi, brings great size, mean streak, and defensive play (still developing but he's making serious strides), plus he's not a black hole in the offensive zone and can make crisp passes and even skate the puck up some from his own end. I see him as a definite top 4 Dman, and possible great #2 to pair with Subban.

He reminds me of Pronger without the power play ability.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
  #77
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,711
vCash: 1707
i agree - and love - that tinordi has a mean streak, but pronger was infinitely meaner. mean like kim jong il (god bless the dear leader's soul)

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
  #78
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 50
Timmins,Bergevin,Dudley and the rest of the new scouting team will have their hands full trying to repeat last years draft haul.The Habs still need another lottery pick just to even things out for the lack of Elite type picks for 30 yrs.If the Habs get another 3rd overall placement in the draft(by way of a shortened season)and the Flames & Nashville fall to lottery picks then the 2013 draft could be monumental for the Habs future.Still if I was Bergevin missing the playoffs,I would load up on more draft choices for this year via trades.Preferably 1st,2nd,3rd round picks and maybe a half dozen 5th rounders for Timmins to really work his Mojo.As another poster wrote drafting Seth Jones would be superb,giving the Habs arguably the best defence & goalie in the NHL within 4-5 yrs. Having another couple of 1st rounders with 3-4 2nd round picks could build the Habs into a perennial Stanley Cup contender by 2015-2016.Trading players that can get a few more high draft choices,will make for a couple of tough seasons.In those years our prospects will mature and the draft picks can assure the Habs of a couple very good forwards that could make the jump right away.HF's job of picking the #1 team for prospects would be like taking candy from a baby.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:19 AM
  #79
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,523
vCash: 500
Woah. Hold on your horses. The 2012 draft went so we'll for us past Gally because a lot, lot of other teams went for Defensemen in the 1st round. We cannot expect repeating such a freak event.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:49 AM
  #80
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Woah. Hold on your horses. The 2012 draft went so we'll for us past Gally because a lot, lot of other teams went for Defensemen in the 1st round. We cannot expect repeating such a freak event.
Agreed. Even though we have more 2nd rounders in a deeper draft, I doubt we can get as lucky as we did this year. Not stealing TT's thunder but we got lucky on just about every pick IMO.

I think we'll make out very well regardless. I still say that if we're not in a position to get a real blue chip forward with size then we should definitely try and trade to get him. We'd truly be in business then.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:08 AM
  #81
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Will Tinordi be a good fighter?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
  #82
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Will Tinordi be a good fighter?
He'll be a good defenceman,if the Habs draft Samuel Morin from Rimouski then the Habs will have a Humongous Fighter/Defenceman LD,he may be available in the 3rd round and his skating is on par to Tinordi when he was drafted.The Habs need to have another big defender like Tinordi and I believe Morin can play a good shutdown game and have some offence as well.Actually the Habs are in great shape with Prust,Moen and Whitey at the moment,but when they make the push for the SC they will need more size.Both forwards and a big defenceman are needed,Gauthier,Mantha,Carrier,Morin and Samuel Henley could fill that need all in one draft with a pick left for a goalie.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:11 AM
  #83
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
He'll be a good defenceman,if the Habs draft Samuel Morin from Rimouski then the Habs will have a Humongous Fighter/Defenceman LD,he may be available in the 3rd round and his skating is on par to Tinordi when he was drafted.The Habs need to have another big defender like Tinordi and I believe Morin can play a good shutdown game and have some offence as well.Actually the Habs are in great shape with Prust,Moen and Whitey at the moment,but when they make the push for the SC they will need more size.Both forwards and a big defenceman are needed,Gauthier,Mantha,Carrier,Morin and Samuel Henley could fill that need all in one draft with a pick left for a goalie.
I thought Armstrong also wasn't bad in the fight department?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:16 AM
  #84
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I thought Armstrong also wasn't bad in the fight department?
Prust is 5'11", White is 6'0", Armstrong is 6'0", Moen is the closest thing we have to a heavyweight at 6'2".

With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:23 AM
  #85
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I thought Armstrong also wasn't bad in the fight department?
Armstrong is back from injuries,but he should avoid playing punching bag or he'll be back on the IR list.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:40 AM
  #86
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Prust is 5'11", White is 6'0", Armstrong is 6'0", Moen is the closest thing we have to a heavyweight at 6'2".

With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.
Prust is listed at 6' 192lbs
White 6' 193lbs
Armstrong 6'2" 195lbs
Moen 6'2" 213lbs

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
  #87
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Prust is listed at 6' 192lbs
White 6' 193lbs
Armstrong 6'2" 195lbs
Moen 6'2" 213lbs
With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:21 AM
  #88
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.
First Staubitz is 6'1

Two All those guy can actually play hockey

Third...


habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
  #89
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Agreed. Even though we have more 2nd rounders in a deeper draft, I doubt we can get as lucky as we did this year. Not stealing TT's thunder but we got lucky on just about every pick IMO.

I think we'll make out very well regardless. I still say that if we're not in a position to get a real blue chip forward with size then we should definitely try and trade to get him. We'd truly be in business then.
If there's a season though, our second rounders are from terrible teams (us, Nashville & Calgary) so they might be high seconds which means TT might not need much luck to get the prospects he wants.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
  #90
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.
NHL hockey is more about standing up for yourself and linemates than having monsters who win all their fights but can't play hockey.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:26 PM
  #91
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NHL hockey is more about standing up for yourself and linemates than having monsters who win all their fights but can't play hockey.
There is indeed more to the game than intimidation and standing up for yourself, but intimidation and standing up for yourself remain a part of the game.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:01 PM
  #92
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There is indeed more to the game than intimidation and standing up for yourself, but intimidation and standing up for yourself remain a part of the game.
And we got some good people who can do it, as well as playing.

Can hardly say the same for Staubitz. He had a big heart, but couldn't really chip in much for the real game.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
  #93
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There is indeed more to the game than intimidation and standing up for yourself, but intimidation and standing up for yourself remain a part of the game.
i also appreciate the deterrent of a heavyweight but we can't complain about the direction right now - with the grit by committee. moen, white and prust are a nice group by committee + two trolls in army and subban

would like to see a tough guy on D though

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:51 PM
  #94
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i also appreciate the deterrent of a heavyweight but we can't complain about the direction right now - with the grit by committee. moen, white and prust are a nice group by committee + two trolls in army and subban

would like to see a tough guy on D though
Honestly, I have not played hockey at a senior level, but it seems to me that the fact each team in our division can beat the **** out of our team bodes badly for the future. It can't possibly be a positive environment to play in.

People saying "just make up for it by beating them on the scoreboard" remind me of school principals who say "just ignore it" to kids being bullied and harassed. It's advice that is disconnected from reality.

We're actually weaker than last year. At least Hal Gill could neutralize opposing monsters by hugging them when he was on the ice. Bouillon won't be hugging anybody.

The lack of a senior enforcer is one of the major deficiencies in the team imo.

I hope we never see Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Bouillon and Weber on the ice at the same time.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:10 AM
  #95
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
With this fearsome boxing club our team should be able to handle Steve Ott.

We should have kept Brad Staubitz imo.
I sort of wish we kept him too. I think if we kept Staubitz along with the other additions than we'd be a fairly legit 'tough' team.

When you think of how much tougher we played as a team when we got Staubitz and Moen was never in the lineup when Staubitz played than I think we shouldn't be too bad in that department this year.

Prust is just as tough if not tougher than Staubitz. So he alone should have the same effect that Brad did. Then you add Moen, Armstrong and Boullion that's not too bad. Armstrong isn't the greatest fighter but he does play chippy and we'll throw down when need be. Frankie ain't going to scare anyone but still that's another guy who can throw down reasonably well.

They won't scare anyone but they shouldn't be pushovers.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:49 AM
  #96
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Honestly, I have not played hockey at a senior level, but it seems to me that the fact each team in our division can beat the **** out of our team bodes badly for the future. It can't possibly be a positive environment to play in.

People saying "just make up for it by beating them on the scoreboard" remind me of school principals who say "just ignore it" to kids being bullied and harassed. It's advice that is disconnected from reality.

We're actually weaker than last year. At least Hal Gill could neutralize opposing monsters by hugging them when he was on the ice. Bouillon won't be hugging anybody.

The lack of a senior enforcer is one of the major deficiencies in the team imo.

I hope we never see Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Bouillon and Weber on the ice at the same time.
The Sens?
Sabres?
Leafs?

Bruins I can see, but they are one of the toughest team in the league..

Also really Gill helps us more in the toughness department than Bouillon? Bouillon is probably one of the strongest/toughest pound for pound guys in the league.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
  #97
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i agree - and love - that tinordi has a mean streak, but pronger was infinitely meaner. mean like kim jong il (god bless the dear leader's soul)
Kim was a little girl. The guy you want is Joe Stalin. Now there was a brutal mother****er. No one ever killed more people in so little time, not even comparative wimp Adolf. Not even close. And our buddy T S Mao had years and years to do his work.

Nope. I go with Joe every time. No one ever did it better than Koba the Dread.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
  #98
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
The Sens?
Sabres?
Leafs?

Bruins I can see, but they are one of the toughest team in the league..

Also really Gill helps us more in the toughness department than Bouillon? Bouillon is probably one of the strongest/toughest pound for pound guys in the league
.
With the extra advantage we can AFFORD to send Bouillon in the penalty box..

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
  #99
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Kim was a little girl. The guy you want is Joe Stalin. Now there was a brutal mother****er. No one ever killed more people in so little time, not even comparative wimp Adolf. Not even close. And our buddy T S Mao had years and years to do his work.

Nope. I go with Joe every time. No one ever did it better than Koba the Dread.
Pol Pot - look it up, that guy was a wacko.

''The combined effects of forced labor, malnutrition, poor medical care, and executions resulted in the deaths of approximately 21 percent of the Cambodian population.[6] In all, an estimated 1 to 3 million people (out of a population of slightly over 8 million) died as a result of the policies of his three-year premiership.''

Sorry to be so off topic

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
  #100
JPB1112ERZN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mount Vernon, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I sort of wish we kept him too. I think if we kept Staubitz along with the other additions than we'd be a fairly legit 'tough' team.

When you think of how much tougher we played as a team when we got Staubitz and Moen was never in the lineup when Staubitz played than I think we shouldn't be too bad in that department this year.

Prust is just as tough if not tougher than Staubitz. So he alone should have the same effect that Brad did. Then you add Moen, Armstrong and Boullion that's not too bad. Armstrong isn't the greatest fighter but he does play chippy and we'll throw down when need be. Frankie ain't going to scare anyone but still that's another guy who can throw down reasonably well.

They won't scare anyone but they shouldn't be pushovers.
I agree with you in wanting to keep Staubitz. But while I love Prust, I don't think he's as tough (in the sense of being able to take on heavier guys) as Staubitz. Staubitz, while only 6'1 as stated previously, still weights 225 lbs. Plus, I don't think the Habs really want Prust engaging in 20+ fights, although that possibility is probably moot this year. Also, I'd just like to see White have a season without injury. While I don't think Staubitz would have needed to suit up for every game, I don't think it would be bad for him to take the brunt of the fighting, or at least the load off of other guys when facing more pugilistic teams. Staubitz has averaged 15 fights for at least the last two seasons, despite not playing a full 82 games. He would also be an insurance policy should Prust, White or Moen go down with injury, the latter two having missed a number of games last year. And yes, guys like Bouillon and Armstrong will stick up for their teammates, but while Bouillon socking Tucker made me smile, it was worrisome when he was the one to take on Orr.

Point is, I like Staubitz as insurance mainly, and to take the load off of other guys. I felt the team was tough in '07-'08 despite lacking a heavyweight because they stuck up for each other, which is likely what will be the dynamic this year. For example, Lats, Lapierre, Kostopoulos and Begin were a good dynamic, and I don't think they were intimidated against the Flyers that year. I guess after just years of seeing our guys get beaten up, having Staubitz around as insurance just makes me feel more secure.

JPB1112ERZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.