HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Crosby overrated?

Old
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
skywarp75

vCash: 500
Crosby is one of the best, and most complete players in history. Theres nothing he isnt good at. Speed, shot, vision. And on top of that, he has an intensity that some of the greats lacked. Im not a fan of his, especially what he's been saying during the lockout, but as an athlete, I think he is on a different level than almost anyone.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:46 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He's the most effective hockey player in the league. Best combination of skill and grit there is. Period.
Gritty is not what you use to describe Crosby. Does he get his nose dirty and absorb hits to maintain puck possession, sure but he's not gritty. This aspect of his game is no different than Malkin.

I truly think Malkin is being vastly underrated here to the point where people are willing to overlook the fact that he's won 2 Art Ross trophies now (only multiple winner for the award since Jagr) only to say Crosby is better than him.

I sure hope Malkin comes back and just blows the competition out of the water including Crosby just to prove to those claiming "Crosby is the best player in the game" that the best player does play for the Penguins but his name is Evgeni Malkin not Crosby.

Malkin is overall a more talented player than Crosby. He's a better stickhandler, a better skater, a better puck possession player, just as good for his two-way game and a better pure goal scorer. They are both equally great playmakers with the edge going to Crosby for vision and face-offs.

Last edited by livewell68: 12-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
livewell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Crosby is one of the best, and most complete players in history. Theres nothing he isnt good at. Speed, shot, vision. And on top of that, he has an intensity that some of the greats lacked. Im not a fan of his, especially what he's been saying during the lockout, but as an athlete, I think he is on a different level than almost anyone.
The bolded/underlined is what causes almost all of the overrated responses in the first place.
You can't even make a foolproof case for him being the best in the league over the last 7 seasons, let alone in history.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Howe, Lemieux, Orr, Jagr, Trottier, Lafleur, Coffey and some of the Russians from the Red Army teams of the 70's say hello.

What intensity do you speak of? When he dives and whines to the refs or when he hits a player's glove away with his stick on the ice?

When Ovechkin first broke into the league he was far more intense than Crosby. He was a more explosive skater and had a far better shot.

Crosby's shot btw is well above average but nothing about his shot makes someone say wow, what a sniper.

You would never confuse Crosby with Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Semin in terms of a pure sniper/ shooter.

Is Crosby effective as a player when he's actually playing and healthy, sure he is. Is he this "perfect, flawless player"? That, he's far from being.

His two-way game is overrated and his shot is still pretty close to what it was in 2005-06 when he was a rookie.

He scores 50 goals and suddenly he's this great goalscorer and sniper? If you actually watched most of his goals, you would know that they came from up close while he was getting his nose in the dirty areas. He wasn't scoring goals like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk have been scoring.

Years ago Tkatchuk scored 50 goals, did that make him a sniper and great shooter? Not really.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:56 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
The bolded/underlined is what causes almost all of the overrated responses in the first place.
You can't even make a foolproof case for him being the best in the league over the last 7 seasons, let alone in history.
Thank you for making my point clear.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:04 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Please re-read what I said and if this is still the first response that comes to mind then what we have is a failure to communicate.

You made a thread about a modern player you've never seen play once? You're missing out.

Is there one player that fits all of those criteria? If so, he needs a "Is [player] underrated" thread because I don't know who that is. An aside to the audience: I did, ahem, laugh out loud at the quoted.

Gretzky wasn't exactly a speed skating champ himself. I'm not sure how relevant that is given that it absolutely has not had a negative impact on him nor has it prevented him from being the best player in the game.

Uh huh...please, go on...really...

If you weren't interested in hearing about Sidney Crosby, then why did you make a thread about him?

I can respect that, very old school...listening to all the games on the radio like that.

You quoted it, but from where? A quote like that implies that it was said by someone, please direct me, and all of us, to that.

Let's pretend that that's totally and completely true. What percentage of these players take an apparent weakness and then become the best in the league at it? If I asked Joe Thornton to go lead the league in goals, would he? Who knows? I have a feeling you might though...

I don't even know where to begin. It's a shame your bias has become so apparent that clear logic cannot penetrate it. I mean, clearly you can't see that this guy has elite vision. So you clearly don't see the linemates Crosby has to work with (what do you think forced him into scoring goals? someone had to do it...). My gosh, I rarely say this, but what a terrible argument this is. You ought to take this nonsense to the main board, it doesn't belong here. This is elementary school reasoning.

I don't really disagree. I'm not sure why Crosby is being judged as a finished product. He's 25. The fact that he's even mentioned around these names - above or below - is a terrific compliment to what he's accomplished in such a limited amount of time.
or you could just come out and say what you're thinking: slights against a different player are being invented here as a pretext for coming to that player's defense.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Crosby's shot btw is well above average but nothing about his shot makes someone say wow, what a sniper.

You would never confuse Crosby with Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Semin in terms of a pure sniper/ shooter.

His two-way game is overrated and his shot is still pretty close to what it was in 2005-06 when he was a rookie.

He scores 50 goals and suddenly he's this great goalscorer and sniper? If you actually watched most of his goals, you would know that they came from up close while he was getting his nose in the dirty areas. He wasn't scoring goals like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk have been scoring.

Years ago Tkatchuk scored 50 goals, did that make him a sniper and great shooter? Not really.
So if you were a GM looking for a goalscorer, and you could pick a guy with a fast release, hard shot and a tendency to pick corners, who only scored 20 goals a year, you'd rather that than a guy who got 50 ugly goals through whatever means available?

Ultimately, the point of playing hockey is to score goals, prevent goals and win, and doing those things more often is a lot more valuable.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I bet this a dead horse and has been discussed many times on hfboards within various topics.

I want to know what people who have been watching hockey since the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's think of Crosby.

Some claim he has already surpassed Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg and even Jagr's career.

Do you believe this to be true?

I personally rank him among the top 50-60 greatest players of all time.

Please discuss.
No to Yzerman. Not even close. No to Sakic, not even close. Worlds away from equalling Jagr's career as well. Never hit Jagr's peak either yet in a full season. Forsberg is a trickier one because he too missed a lot of time, but at this moment he has not had a career that equalled Forsberg. Too much of a playoff prescence Forsberg was.

Is Crosby overrated? Well, let's say I expected him to have had a better career by now back in 2005. After his only Art Ross in 2007 I thought the sky was the limit for him. I really did. The Pens looked like a dynasty in the making. While I thought it might be tough to ever equal the career of Gretzky at that time, I seriously thought he had a good shot at being toe-to-toe with Mario career wise after his sophomore year. Then things changed. He got injured in 2008, he wasn't a lock as the best player in the game (Ovechkin) and even Malkin was closing in on his team. He was outscored by Malkin in 2009, lost the Smythe to the more impressive Malkin as well and got knocked out of Game 7 of the Cup final. My vision was to see Crosby being THE impactful player on the Penguins when they won the Cup. He was #2.

Then there were playoff disapointments in 2010, 2012 and injuries in 2011, 2012 and now probably missing all of 2012-'13. Losing out on the scoring race to Sedin in 2010 didn't help either. It would kind of be the equivalent of Lemieux or Gretzky losing to Peter Stastny in the 1980s (with no disrespect to Stastny). I don't know, let's look at one thing here and judge the first 8 years of his career (which is what 2013 would have been).

Lemieux 1984-'92 - 1014 points in 517 games with 1.96 PPG
Jagr 1990-'98 - 735 points in 581 games with 1.27 PPG
Crosby - 2005-'13 - 609 points in 435 games with 1.40 PPG

Lemieux 97 playoff points in 49 games, two Cups, two Conn Smythe trophies
Jagr 107 playoff points in 104 games, two Cups
Crosby 90 playoff points in 68 games, one Cup

Lemieux - Art Ross (3), Hart (1), All-Star (2 1st team, 3 2nd team), goals leader (2)
Jagr - Art Ross (2), All-Star (3 first team, 1 second team)
Crosby - Art Ross (1), Hart (1), All-Star (1 1st team, 1 2nd team), goals leader (1)

Scoring finishes:
Lemieux - 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4
Jagr - 1, 1, 2, 6, 9
Crosby - 1, 2, 3, 6

These are the first 8 seasons for each player. Forget the idea of Crosby ever becoming another Mario. That went out the window and is gone forever. He will never be Mario. I would say Jagr's first 8 years are better as well and we haven't even gotten into the other three Art Ross wins for him. I'll give him the advantage against Yzerman and Sakic for their first 8 seasons but definitely not over their careers. There is the very real possibility that either Malkin or Ovechkin could be considered to be better in that time frame. And by the way, the less we even bother comparing Crosby to Gretzky, the better.

Overall, I have wished he was better personally. I guess I bought into some of the hype. The sad thing is he's collecting dust in the prime of his career right now. He'll never be 25 years old in the NHL again. This is HIS time to shine and he's helping to continue a long stalemate.

Lastly, on the international scale, Crosby, Lemieux and Jagr all played a role in a victory of a prominent tournament. Crosby and Jagr played more or less similar in the 2010 and 1998 Olympics, respectively. Both did fine you'd think they could have played better. Mario simply blew the doors down in the 1987 Canada Cup.

So maybe if the lockout doesn't go on forever we can see Crosby play again. If he can return to a high level of play maybe he has a career similar to Jagr. Maybe. We'll see. But the longer things go the worse it gets, and with Malkin and Ovechkin similar to him in his generation and the fact that the more I watch Nathan MacKinnon the more I love him, I think it is becoming more and more like Crosby is just another great player and not another GREAT player.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:59 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Crosby really kind of blew up over the launch pad.

Art Ross, Hart as a 19 year old.. he was just so dominant...I really thought nothing was going to stop him.

Then he just took a step back and was surpassed by Ovechkin for at least 3 years... who to me has still had a better career.

He certainly has not lived up to the impossible Gretzky hype he was given coming into the league.

He still has plenty of time left... should get at least one more hart/art ross.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No to Yzerman. Not even close. No to Sakic, not even close. Worlds away from equalling Jagr's career as well. Never hit Jagr's peak either yet in a full season. Forsberg is a trickier one because he too missed a lot of time, but at this moment he has not had a career that equalled Forsberg. Too much of a playoff prescence Forsberg was.

Is Crosby overrated? Well, let's say I expected him to have had a better career by now back in 2005. After his only Art Ross in 2007 I thought the sky was the limit for him. I really did. The Pens looked like a dynasty in the making. While I thought it might be tough to ever equal the career of Gretzky at that time, I seriously thought he had a good shot at being toe-to-toe with Mario career wise after his sophomore year. Then things changed. He got injured in 2008, he wasn't a lock as the best player in the game (Ovechkin) and even Malkin was closing in on his team. He was outscored by Malkin in 2009, lost the Smythe to the more impressive Malkin as well and got knocked out of Game 7 of the Cup final. My vision was to see Crosby being THE impactful player on the Penguins when they won the Cup. He was #2.

Then there were playoff disapointments in 2010, 2012 and injuries in 2011, 2012 and now probably missing all of 2012-'13. Losing out on the scoring race to Sedin in 2010 didn't help either. It would kind of be the equivalent of Lemieux or Gretzky losing to Peter Stastny in the 1980s (with no disrespect to Stastny). I don't know, let's look at one thing here and judge the first 8 years of his career (which is what 2013 would have been).

Lemieux 1984-'92 - 1014 points in 517 games with 1.96 PPG
Jagr 1990-'98 - 735 points in 581 games with 1.27 PPG
Crosby - 2005-'13 - 609 points in 435 games with 1.40 PPG

Lemieux 97 playoff points in 49 games, two Cups, two Conn Smythe trophies
Jagr 107 playoff points in 104 games, two Cups
Crosby 90 playoff points in 68 games, one Cup

Lemieux - Art Ross (3), Hart (1), All-Star (2 1st team, 3 2nd team), goals leader (2)
Jagr - Art Ross (2), All-Star (3 first team, 1 second team)
Crosby - Art Ross (1), Hart (1), All-Star (1 1st team, 1 2nd team), goals leader (1)

Scoring finishes:
Lemieux - 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4
Jagr - 1, 1, 2, 6, 9
Crosby - 1, 2, 3, 6

These are the first 8 seasons for each player. Forget the idea of Crosby ever becoming another Mario. That went out the window and is gone forever. He will never be Mario. I would say Jagr's first 8 years are better as well and we haven't even gotten into the other three Art Ross wins for him. I'll give him the advantage against Yzerman and Sakic for their first 8 seasons but definitely not over their careers. There is the very real possibility that either Malkin or Ovechkin could be considered to be better in that time frame. And by the way, the less we even bother comparing Crosby to Gretzky, the better.

Overall, I have wished he was better personally. I guess I bought into some of the hype. The sad thing is he's collecting dust in the prime of his career right now. He'll never be 25 years old in the NHL again. This is HIS time to shine and he's helping to continue a long stalemate.

Lastly, on the international scale, Crosby, Lemieux and Jagr all played a role in a victory of a prominent tournament. Crosby and Jagr played more or less similar in the 2010 and 1998 Olympics, respectively. Both did fine you'd think they could have played better. Mario simply blew the doors down in the 1987 Canada Cup.

So maybe if the lockout doesn't go on forever we can see Crosby play again. If he can return to a high level of play maybe he has a career similar to Jagr. Maybe. We'll see. But the longer things go the worse it gets, and with Malkin and Ovechkin similar to him in his generation and the fact that the more I watch Nathan MacKinnon the more I love him, I think it is becoming more and more like Crosby is just another great player and not another GREAT player.
Fine post. However, I think it speaks to the uncertainty surrounding Crosby's health and his place in the game to this point, that in the same post you can say you "bought into the hype" and that eventually "maybe he has a career similar to Jagr." The continual hype since before he played in the NHL is one factor that possibly makes him overrated. Another factor is his injuries, and equating what he did in limited time to the value of most/all of a season. Jagr played at least 63 games total (NHL, playoffs, international leagues/tourneys) in every season from '89 to '12. That's 24 years straight, through seasons canceled and shortened by lockout, shortened foreign schedules, injuries, etc., and it looks like he is able to play that many games this season at age 40-41. Crosby has 69 games, including playoffs, in what's going on 3 seasons. For someone to compare to the careers of Sakic, Yzerman, etc., let alone Jagr, they have to be able to play at a high level for a long time. Part of that is staying healthy, as a player has no value when he's not playing. Crosby has played 524 games after Juniors, Jagr has played over 1,800 (NHL, playoffs, KHL, Czech), including over 1,600 in the NHL and international championships. It's especially disruptive if the player is hurt a lot (see the Pens' collapse last season upon his return).

Another factor is how good he was at such a young age. I think that's where the Gretzky/Lemieux comparisons started gaining credence with many. However, as we've seen with Ovechkin, it takes hard work and adjustment just to maintain an elite level in the NHL, nevermind hitting new levels.

Finally, the hype of his "overall game" and the title of "best player in the game" is a bit much at times. His overall game is strong, but it's not like he's Datsyuk or Clarke with better scoring. He is probably the best player when healthy, but that means very little when he isn't playing 2/3 of the time. He's got a lot of talent, and he works very hard. If he acted like a grown up on the ice, I could even be a fan one day. I think the "little 3" (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin) are all fine, talented players. However, I just thought the stars of the 90s inspired more fear in the opposition. Whether it was post-peak Lemieux and Gretzky... Jagr, Messier, Forsberg, Lindros, Fedorov, Sakic, Yzerman, Gilmour, etc. ... Hasek, Roy and Brodeur/Stevens... etc. Players like Bure and Selanne were especially feared on big ice, and no matter how much of an underdog, players like Jagr, Forsberg and Hasek (when he did play) commanded the attention and respect of their opponents in a way that I don't see with Crosby on the perennial favorite and all-star laden Canadian teams. There was a certain aura that surrounded most of those greats, knowing that if there was anything more than fumes left (and sometimes even then), the opposing team had its work cut out for it. It usually wasn't going to be easy, even if you had the better team. Opponents knew they could, and likely would, take over games and even series without a moment's notice. I don't so often see that level of intimidation with many of today's greats. Since the lockout, I saw it with players like Jagr and Forsberg, even in their 30s. I saw it with Pronger, even through the injuries and suspensions. Crosby seemed to have been hitting that stage a couple times, and subsequently been injured: in much of '07 & '08, and in much of '10 & '11. The challenge is to hit that level again, maintain it or something close to it, and stay healthy, all for more than a couple of consecutive seasons. I do think he will be as good as he ever will be in the next 2-3 seasons, if he can stay healthy. It's what he does after that, including his durability and staying power, that will most affect his career value. If he can play for a long time, I think he will be a good player well into his 30s.

Last edited by Czech Your Math: 12-13-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:07 AM
BraveCanadian

Probably the best player in the world right now when healthy.

And still overrated by many.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:27 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
He is the best player in the league today? I don't think that's really debatable, to be honest.
really?

based on WHAT????? speculation or actual number???

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:32 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Crosby really kind of blew up over the launch pad.

Art Ross, Hart as a 19 year old.. he was just so dominant...I really thought nothing was going to stop him.

Then he just took a step back and was surpassed by Ovechkin for at least 3 years... who to me has still had a better career.

He certainly has not lived up to the impossible Gretzky hype he was given coming into the league.

He still has plenty of time left... should get at least one more hart/art ross.
a fair assessment. as i said earlier, i blame the media/NHL for wanting him to be the next Gretzky or Lemieux. Gretzky and Lemieux dominated the NHL the second they came into the league. Crosby has not, hence "only" one scoring title. if i had to put money on who would win a scoring title in a full, 100% healthy season, i would flip a coin between Malkin and Crosby. there is no doubt he is ONE OF the best players today, but the way everyone coddles this guy is ridiculous. he is not anywhere near the same category as an Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, or even Jagr

Old
12-13-2012, 08:41 AM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
I think Crosby has this mystique that definetly is not backed up by his performance. A major contributor to this is the statistically anomalous 2005-2007~08 period of hockey. Also what does it say that, the one time the Pens win the cup, their other center is clearly the better player? How many times did the best player in the world end up not being the best player on his own team?
That ONE time Malkin was better than Crosby in the playoffs, Crosby was also Smythe worthy and led the league in goals. Hardly a big knock against him. He's obviously not Lemieux or Gretzky, far ahead of everyone else every year, but he IS the one guy that never stops producing. He has no poor playoffs and his PPG over 434 games has never dropped below a 100+ pace. Plus he's better than Malkin overall.

Last edited by revolverjgw: 12-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.
revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
That ONE time Malkin was better than Crosby in the playoffs, Crosby was also Smythe worthy and led the league in goals. Hardly a big knock against him. He's obviously not Lemieux or Gretzky, far ahead of everyone else every year, but he IS the one guy that never stops producing. He has no poor playoffs and his PPG over 434 games has never dropped below a 100+ pace. Plus he's better than Malkin overall.
I agree with your overall point, but Crosby did not play well in the 2010 playoffs against Montreal (but then neither did Malkin).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
sorry, but this is ridiculous.

speed? there are several players i would put ahead of him when it comes to speed/skating

shot? sure, its decent. but not even the best in todays game, let alone HISTORY (hence his one 50 goal season)

vision? he is a good passer with great vision, but so are guys like Thornton, and Sedin.

you said it yourself. "there is nothing he isnt GOOD at". but you know what? i cant think of one area he is really GREAT at. in every category of hockey skills, i can think or make an argument for another player. parody exists amongst players today, just like it does amongst teams.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:29 AM
mpp9

Sid isn't a great playmaker now? News to me. Last I remembered he was the best, and then he started shooting more.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
I prefer Malkin over Crosby but if I were to rank them Ill probably have them at the same spot. One thing Malkin has over Crosby tho, is health.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I agree with your overall point, but Crosby did not play well in the 2010 playoffs against Montreal (but then neither did Malkin).
Sure for one round but in the 1st round against Ottawa he really kicked ass and was by far the best player on his team in the playoffs.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
od71

I think that crowd somewhat is hypnotized by Crosby. When media repeats that someone has superskills, that he is successor of Gretzky and Lemieux, the crowd gradually starts to believe it, they start to see that "Crosby is one of the best, and most complete players in history. Theres nothing he isnt good at. Speed, shot, vision. And on top of that, he has an intensity that some of the greats lacked".
Yes, I agree, he is a great player, I enjoy him, but it's ridiculous to compare him with Gretzky, Lemieux. Even Jagr, Forsberg are better than Sid. Sid is not even the best player in the league.
There is definitely a hype about him. In medicine it's called "treatment by suggestion", some kind of brainwash. Last season, sitting in the pressbox, he was still main headliner in a media

Last edited by od71: 12-13-2012 at 09:46 AM.
od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mullet View Post
with great vision
i cant think of one area he is really GREAT at.
Sometimes you try so hard to discount someone and you only end up discounting yourself.

I don't understand why he has to be the best stickhandler with a sniper's shot to be considered awesome...where is this perfect hockey player that he's being compared to? I don't understand the exercise here. Gretzky was all these things? Lemieux?

Alexander Semin is a pretty good stickhandler and he has the league's best shot, maybe we need a poll...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
jigglysquishy

I think one thing we forget about Crosby is just how dominant he was as a teenager. I'm using all years as end of season age.

His rookie season (18) is probably the greatest 18-year old season ever played in the NHL. Lemieux and Gretzky's rookie season were 19.

His sophomore season (19) is one of the best ever and probably is the second best 19-year old season ever after Gretzky.

He came out of the gate so strong that many of us expected him to be a perennial Art Ross winner. If he simply maintained his 19-year old performance level he would have become a multiple Ross/Hart winner. But injuries (07-08, 10-11, 11-12) and "average" seasons (08-09, 09-10) means he hasn't lived up to his sophomore season heathily.

Maybe he'll walk away with the hardware in a shortened 12-13 season. Maybe he hits 140 points in a full 13-14 season. But as of now Crosby was a two year wonder and a bunch of what ifs.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
Sometimes you try so hard to discount someone and you only end up discounting yourself.

I don't understand why he has to be the best stickhandler with a sniper's shot to be considered awesome...where is this perfect hockey player that he's being compared to? I don't understand the exercise here. Gretzky was all these things? Lemieux?

Alexander Semin is a pretty good stickhandler and he has the league's best shot, maybe we need a poll...
no one ever said Gretzky or Lemieux were "all these things"

the point of this thread asked a simple question, is he overrated. to me, overrated means getting more attention or hype, then what you are actually producing.

based on what he has actually accomplished (one scoring title, one leauge MVP) in his 7 years in the NHL, then look at how much attention he gets, i would say yes.

this is not saying he is not ONE OF the top players in the game. i think the reality is, there isn't a "best player" anymore. there are several players on any given night who could be crowned king, hence the fact we have had 6 different Art Ross trophy winners post lockout, and 6 different Hart trophy winners post lockout.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Richard

As a pens fan, Malkin is going to put up many many many more points than Crosby. Crosby is a tremendous hockey player with an inability to tone it down and produce. His greatest strength (his temperment) is also his greatest weakness.

Malkin just takes a cheap shot and scores another point. Then at another time or another place he gets you back two fold. People are afraid to play against Geno. He can be extremely extremely dirty.

Crosby isn't and lets scrums, cheapshots and such get him off his game now.

It used to be the opposite. Crosby was calm and Geno was wild.

Such a weird turn around.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
I think that crowd somewhat is hypnotized by Crosby. When media repeats that someone has superskills, that he is successor of Gretzky and Lemieux, the crowd gradually starts to believe it, they start to see that "Crosby is one of the best, and most complete players in history. Theres nothing he isnt good at. Speed, shot, vision. And on top of that, he has an intensity that some of the greats lacked".
Yes, I agree, he is a great player, I enjoy him, but it's ridiculous to compare him with Gretzky, Lemieux. Even Jagr, Forsberg are better than Sid. Sid is not even the best player in the league.
There is definitely a hype about him. In medicine it's called "treatment by suggestion", some kind of brainwash. Last season, sitting in the pressbox, he was still main headliner in a media
Peter Forsberg was not better than Sid, Malkin or Ovechkin. Please, he is the most overrated player in NHL history

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote