HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate II

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Looks like the Pirates played pretty well tonight, shutting out the Monarchs 4-0. Visentin took over in the 2nd and made 21 saves on 21 shots. Chad Johnson is hurt apparently? Maybe this will be a good time to get Mike Lee an AHL start? Gormley gets a point in 2 straight games, which is always encouraging.
I realize Edwards has a job to cling to, but Visentin should really be getting the bulk of the starts down there. That's the purpose of the farm team. It's not as if the Pirates are leading their conference or anything. So why not? And is Martinook playing on the 4th line? His stats seem to indicate as much. Not a good way to use him.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Rutkowski

Yeah, Johnson getting hurt is not something that I see as a detirement to the team.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Mike Lee has been recalled to Portland from the Gwinnett Gladiators.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Looks like the Pirates played pretty well tonight, shutting out the Monarchs 4-0. Visentin took over in the 2nd and made 21 saves on 21 shots. Chad Johnson is hurt apparently? Maybe this will be a good time to get Mike Lee an AHL start? Gormley gets a point in 2 straight games, which is always encouraging.
Lee seemed to have cooled off a bit - Domingue had put together a couple or three good starts.

Visentin prolly gets all the starts unless there are some more 3 in 3 nights before Johnson is back.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Mike Stapleton is now in need of a job. He was fired by an organization intelligent enough to hire Sheldon Keefe to replace him. Wonder if he'd he a good fit if Edwards gets axed.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/22...arged-with-DUI
Portland Pirates CEO/Owner arrested, charged with DUI

This kind of explains a lot

Old
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates owner arrested for OUI
By Chris Roy Published: 6th December 2012

Quote:
PORTLAND – Portland Pirates Managing Owner and CEO Brian Petrovek was arrested Wednesday morning and charged with operating under the influence near the Cumberland County Civic Center after his vehicle was spotted stuck on the median.
Link>>>>

Old
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Mike Stapleton is now in need of a job.
He was a very cerebral player. Haven't really followed his coaching.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:37 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Portland overpowered by streaking Binghamton
By Don Rieber Published: 8th December 2012

Quote:
BINGHAMTON, NY – The Portland Pirates, who were coming off an impressive 4-0 win over Manchester on Sunday, visited the red-hot Binghamton Senators Friday night and came out on the short end of a 6-1 score at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena.
Link>>>>

Old
12-08-2012, 07:18 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Apparently Miele just fought someone? Lol

Old
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Has anyone seen how Mike Lee has looked in relief today?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
PHX FireBirds18

First career goal for Martinook.

For someone who only has 2 points on the season being a -3 as a rookie in the AHL is pretty decent. Hopefully some relief will come from getting that first one.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:31 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates fight their way back to a victory
By Jason Iacona Published: 9th December 2012

Quote:
WILKES-BARRE, PA – A hockey game is sixty minutes. Not six minutes and ten seconds.

The Portland Pirates overcame from being down 3-0 Saturday night to earn a 4-3 shootout victory against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in front of 5,487 at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Link>>>>

Old
12-11-2012, 08:35 PM
hbk

Rundblad with another GWG in OT. Guy has a deadly shot. Nice block in 3rd as well.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Rundblad, Pirates tame Sound Tigers in OT
By Mark Edwards Published: 12th December 2012

Quote:
PORTLAND — Four months from now, players and coaches of American Hockey League teams that are on the cusp of a playoff berth will be thinking back to that one game that either nudged them into the postseason, or that postponed their Calder Cup dreams for one more year.

Link>>>>

Old
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
XX
... Waiting

Wildcat, do you know if Sean Burke has been in Portland working with the goalies? With Visentin not starting it'd be a great opportunity for him to put in more work in practice.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
mitch27

Wildcat, I sent you a tweet the other day and never got a reply so I figured I'd ask here. Mike Lee won his only start where as Visentin's numbers don't look all that great. Lee was already tearing up the E. Why wouldn't they leave Lee in the AHL and send Visentin down? I haven't seen either of them play this year so I'm just basing this off stats.

EDIT: I sent the tweet to Chris Roy. I just realized that might not be you

Old
12-13-2012, 07:53 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Wildcat, do you know if Sean Burke has been in Portland working with the goalies? With Visentin not starting it'd be a great opportunity for him to put in more work in practice.
Burke has been in town with Jim Playfair a couple of times since the start of the season. In fact, he was here just a couple weeks ago working with the goalies. Visentin is getting quite a bit of work in practice and Burke is working with him a lot when he's here. But, even when Burke is not here they are in still constant contact. They also have Mike Minard, who a pretty good goalie coach, working with Visentin. The Yotes are taking their time with him so I'm not entirely shocked at where he's at in his progression.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:17 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Wildcat, I sent you a tweet the other day and never got a reply so I figured I'd ask here. Mike Lee won his only start where as Visentin's numbers don't look all that great. Lee was already tearing up the E. Why wouldn't they leave Lee in the AHL and send Visentin down? I haven't seen either of them play this year so I'm just basing this off stats.

EDIT: I sent the tweet to Chris Roy. I just realized that might not be you
That's me... Sorry I never responded. I must have missed it and I've been covering HS hockey for the last couple of weeks so I apologize. I tend to believe it's because they don't want to let him out of their sight, sort of speak. While Visentin is in Portland, as I said in my previous post, he's got Burke, Minard, King and the rest of the Coyotes coaching staff working with him and that's more beneficial in their eyes compared to let him to go to Gwinnett. I'm not sure I agree with that because Burke has traveled to Georgia to work with Lee and Domingue. They are being very methodical in their development with Visentin right now. I suspect in the second half of the season we'll a little more of him, but I don't envision him getting more than 20-25 games this season at the pace he's going.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:40 AM
hbk

Chad Johnson has also been lights out at times for the team as well. He's been rock solid and I could see where the coaching staff has simply been riding the hot guy between the pipes. Visentin will get his shot.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Rundblad's stat line is certainly looking impressive these days. How about his all around game? Any progress? Baby steps?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Rundblad's stat line is certainly looking impressive these days. How about his all around game? Any progress? Baby steps?
He's never going to be confused for Lidstrom in his own zone but he's much more effective defensively in his own zone this year compared to what we saw last year when he didn't have the puck. Rub outs along the boards and last game he had a tremendous shot block that may have been the only reason the game went to OT. He's been good. He has a higher level yet but he's taken a large step forward. I'd rank him behind OEL and probably Stone (who's ready for prime time).

Old
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
mitch27

Thanks for the reply wildcat, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Chad Johnson has also been lights out at times for the team as well. He's been rock solid and I could see where the coaching staff has simply been riding the hot guy between the pipes. Visentin will get his shot.
I was more questioning why Lee shouldn't be given a bigger shot, not why Visentin shouldn't get more starts. I guess they feel Visentin has greater potential.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
He's never going to be confused for Lidstrom in his own zone but he's much more effective defensively in his own zone this year compared to what we saw last year when he didn't have the puck. Rub outs along the boards and last game he had a tremendous shot block that may have been the only reason the game went to OT. He's been good. He has a higher level yet but he's taken a large step forward. I'd rank him behind OEL and probably Stone (who's ready for prime time).
Ahead of Summers, huh? Wow. Good to hear.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Has he still consistently been paired with Summers? Has that maybe contributed to his improvement as well? Having a solid stay-at-home lefty to pair him with like Summers or Klesla while he gets comfortable on NA ice seems like the best bet.

Closed Thread