HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chris Pronger moves back to STL, career probably over

Old
12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

I'd choose Lidstrom because he is easily the better player. More cups, more Norris Trophies, a Conn Smythe, etc.
What about Lidstrom's Hart trophy?

12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
jh477

It's sad whenever a guy's career ends because of injuries, even more so when it's a guy like Pronger. He was a true team leader on the blue line, the kind of guy that always brought his best to the playoffs. He's been involved in some questionable/dirty plays over the years, but what can't be denied is that he was a hugely important part of every team he's been on and a big reason they had the success that they did. He, along with Pisani and Roloson were the guys that brought Edmonton to the finals in 06. With the Ducks, he was the catalyst of his team physically dominating the Sens in the cup final. Chris Pronger was the complete package. Leadership, tremendous offensive skills and a tough-as-nails defender who could shut down the best forwards on the other team.

Some of you may hold a grudge because of his dirty plays, I don't blame you, but at least recognize the good side of his game. There's a reason he's been a captain so many times.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Might be done playing, but I highly doubt he retires before 2015.

Still has $17m+ remaining on the contract and the Flyers certainly don't want him to retire, even if he doesn't play again.
Agreed.

Marc Savard situation 2.0

I will miss Pronger, I own a Pronger jersey.

He was the biggest ******* in the league... and that's why I loved him

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What about Lidstrom's Hart trophy?
One Hart Trophy isn't all that significant. Jose Theodore also has one. Plus, many felt Jagr should have won it in 2000 including the players considering Jagr won the Pearson/Lindsay award.

NastiMarvasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

As with Pronger, he was taken to school by Patrick Kane in 2010. He's generally had a tougher time with the smaller, skilled players.
That's absolutely not true, Kane only scored one goal in the finals when Pronger was on the ice. Outside of game 5, Pronger was great that series.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Lidstrom>Pronger>>>>>>>>>>>>Niedermayer from last gen

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
...and was the ultimate playoff choker with those dominant Blues teams.
Quote:
Chris Pronger was the modern day Joe Thornton before Joe Thornton became known as the choke artist. His Blues teams were quite dominant during the regular season, some years on par with the Wings.

The quoted posts are complete BS. I witnessed every one of Pronger's playoff games with the Blues, he was an excellent player throughout. Even in 95-96 after a disappointing regular season(young player, new team), he completely redeemed himself in the playoffs. Chris Pronger has never been a playoff choker, that is lazy analysis.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Even as an Avs fan I had nothing against Niklas Lidstrom but he's starting to get me annoyed because every good dman thread turns into a debate about Lidstrom vs ....

Look on the History of Hockey forum, Lidstrom vs Bourque, Lidstrom vs MacInnis, it just goes on and on. He was one of the best dmen to play the game and so was Pronger within the past few decades, just leave it at that.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
XO

vCash: 50
epitome of a player that you hate but would love to have on your team.. sad his career had to end this way anyway. karma is a *****.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Hopefully he retires for the sake of his own health

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Nick Lidstrom says hello.
Nick Lidstrom stole the Norris from Pronger in 2007. Who was the most dominant player in the playoffs from 2006 to 2010? Pronger was and I think by a pretty comfortable margin to

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:01 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Really sad a great career had to come to an end like this...

Will always remember his time in Edmonton, the best defenseman I've personally got to watch wearing an Oilers jersey. He was a terrific player for them.

We all know who calls the shots in that relationship.
Cheap shots?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Great career.
Would be nice to see him play again, but it could be bad for his health.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Pronger was a real hockey player. At a time when the league is getting more and more wimpy Pronger was a breath of fresh air. Also comparing Lidstrom with Pronger is difficult-they both had completely different styles and were very successful.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Good riddance, Pronger is a dirty A-hole and maybe all his attempts to injure other players are coming back to bite him, I hate Pronger.
Nice avatar.

Scott Niedermayer disapproves of your post.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Descendent*

I respected how he controlled the play a lot of the times when he was on the ice. I really noticed this at games in person.

This just made me think of Al MacInnis. That guy was awesome.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Nick Lidstrom stole the Norris from Pronger in 2007. Who was the most dominant player in the playoffs from 2006 to 2010? Pronger was and I think by a pretty comfortable margin to
How could he steal the Norris from Pronger when Pronger wasn't even considered the best defenseman on his team? Are you forgetting that Niedermayer had significantly more Norris votes than Pronger? That was a two-horse race, and Pronger might have been a strong 3rd, but he was still a ways behind Niedermayer and Lidstrom.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:02 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
How could he steal the Norris from Pronger when Pronger wasn't even considered the best defenseman on his team? Are you forgetting that Niedermayer had significantly more Norris votes than Pronger? That was a two-horse race, and Pronger might have been a strong 3rd, but he was still a ways behind Niedermayer and Lidstrom.
It's easier to just spout nonsense as fact than to actually think about it.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Pronger missing 16 games cost him whatever chance at a Norris he may have had that year. If he played all 82 games he may have had a shot but ultimately I think it still goes to Lidstrom with Niedermayer/Pronger splitting votes and coming in second/third.

Last edited by Paul4587: 12-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Certainly one of the most dominating physical presences of the era, he cleared so much space in front of the net.

He also took 3 different teams to a Cup, which is pretty impressive considering the parity of the league since the lockout.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:39 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I like Niedermayer a lot more than Pronger. But make no mistake-Pronger WAS better than Niedermayer throughout their careers. 2007 was no different. it's because Pronger only played in 66 games.

Would you suggest that Patrice Bergeron was better than Crosby last year? After all he had more Hart votes than Crobsy did.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I like Niedermayer a lot more than Pronger. But make no mistake-Pronger WAS better than Niedermayer throughout their careers. 2007 was no different. it's because Pronger only played in 66 games.

Would you suggest that Patrice Bergeron was better than Crosby last year? After all he had more Hart votes than Crobsy did.
Bergeron was better than Crosby. Crosby played 22 games. Bergeron was second his team in points and won the Selke.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
The quoted posts are complete BS. I witnessed every one of Pronger's playoff games with the Blues, he was an excellent player throughout. Even in 95-96 after a disappointing regular season(young player, new team), he completely redeemed himself in the playoffs. Chris Pronger has never been a playoff choker, that is lazy analysis.
I wouldn't put much stock into what that guy says. Every person who has ever played for Philly is overrated and a playoff choker. I really don't think he watches games between his comments here and the baseball forum where he was made to look completely stupid with his Cliff Lee statements. Pronger is the complete opposite of a playoff choker. This isn't a thread about Henrik Lundqvuist who's gotten out of the 2nd round once in his entire career. Saying Kane owned Pronger in the Finals is complete BS that someone would say if they didn't even watch and saw the series ending goal.

Last edited by Clyde Donovan: 12-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

This sucks. He was one of my favorite non Avs of all time. Wish him the best.

Looks no more Selanne, now Pronger. Ducks were sure lucky to have those players.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Bergeron was better than Crosby. Crosby played 22 games. Bergeron was second his team in points and won the Selke.
you missed the point of him saying that

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote