HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Or they could just hold onto a unique talent like DP and let BB and Tangradi develop, instead of worrying about what certain crybaby fans who don't even watch these kids play, think.

Probably a good idea.
Derrick Pouliot is not unique. E basta.
But anyway, sure, that would seem the better solution now that we did draft him. We are just going to have to trade away better players to make room for him eventually.... and that can of course turn out to be OK as well.

Anyway... my only motivation was of course that I wanted to pull your chain a little .

Bygones

Last edited by Tender Rip: 12-13-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Derrick Pouliot is not unique. E basta.
But anyway, sure, that would seem the better solution now that we did draft him. We are just going to have to trade away better players to make room for him eventually.... and that can of course turn out to be OK as well.

Anyway... my only motivation was of course that I wanted to pull your chain a little .

Bygones
Ya no biggie, we like to go at it sometimes, makes it fun.

Anyway, I disagree, he is a unique talent. Not many kids I've watched at his age see the ice the way he does. He has some work to do in his own end, but that isn't unusual.

I am even more pleased now with him being a Pen, than I was in June. I'm also feeling better about the Maatta pick as well.

Tangradi and BB are doing well and people just need to enjoy that fact, instead of being upset their guy wasn't picked.

The farm is looking as promising as I can remember and that goes back to around '94. People just like to be negative I suppose.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Lets all have a breakdown, together.

Anyway, I am told we can always just trade Pouliot for Tarasenko v.2, so there's no trouble.
I don't know who "version 2" is, but if STL were dumb enough to do it I'd trade DP for Tarasenko in half a second. Unfortunately for us no team is near dumb enough to trade a F talent of that calibre, for DP. Not unless Mike Milbury makes a return to the GM seat somewhere and they have a can't miss F prospect.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
deakka

So. Pouliot will be the highest drafted payer from the 2012 draft who didnt make his national team if Dumba and Reinhartsticks(not counting the injured ones ofc).

Not calling the bust card yet, but having picked that high wich the pens havent done in years i would sure like to see them crack the team. And since he didnt make the team this year, he only have a slim chance of making the team next year as well since TC seems to give the returnees free cards for the next tournament as well

The best thing to hope for now is that he gets his act together and tears up the WHL when he gets back. If hes moping over not making the team itl be really bad

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
So. Pouliot will be the highest drafted payer from the 2012 draft who didnt make his national team if Dumba and Reinhartsticks(not counting the injured ones ofc).

Not calling the bust card yet, but having picked that high wich the pens havent done in years i would sure like to see them crack the team. And since he didnt make the team this year, he only have a slim chance of making the team next year as well since TC seems to give the returnees free cards for the next tournament as well

The best thing to hope for now is that he gets his act together and tears up the WHL when he gets back. If hes moping over not making the team itl be really bad
You shouldn't even be mentioning the word bust for another few years anyway. The fact he didn't make the team shouldn't surprise anyone. Look at who was drafted ahead of him. He is the 5th Canadian dman taken in the draft and even though Murray was injured, that makes 3 dman taken ahead of him likely to make the team. Add to that the returnees and there is no way to tie him not making the roster to him being a bust or drafted higher than he should have been. The two situations aren't related at all.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Indeed. Let's not get carried away here. Plus he has a very good shot at making the team next year. I don't think Dumba makes it this year. Reinhart will -- Rielly may stick with Toronto next season, which would make Pouliot the best left-handed OFD option for the team. There will be anywhere from 1-3 returnees next season. Not a big number.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Hottubber

Quote:

From what a lot of people who watched the games said, Dumba and murphy not pouliot should have been the ones cut. Murphy was a high 1st and hasn't been able to crack the team twice. Is he a bust?

It was an uphill battle for pouliot this year anyways. There were some returnees and a couple o-minded d men in front of him. It's generally been a 19 year old tourney in years past so there really isn't too much to get excited about

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Not calling the bust card, yet? Get his act together? Wtf?

He is second in scoring among W blueliners and has several more points than Rielly in less games played. Kid is avg a point a game in the W, from the blueline. Guys like Byfuglien, Weber, Phaneuf, and Green never avg more than a point a game in the W. In fact I believe Phaneuf was the only guy to have even one season where he avg a point a game. It's a tough ass league and people expecting more than a point a game avg are in fantasy land.

The Can blueline is stacked and I have yet to see how Rielly, Dumba, or Reinhart are superior prospects. I can pick apart all three of their games without much effort.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
deakka

Quote:
Not calling the bust card, yet? Get his act together? Wtf?

He is second in scoring among W blueliners and has several more points than Rielly in less games played. Kid is avg a point a game in the W, from the blueline. Guys like Byfuglien, Weber, Phaneuf, and Green never avg more than a point a game in the W. In fact I believe Phaneuf was the only guy to have even one season where he avg a point a game. It's a tough ass league and people expecting more than a point a game avg are in fantasy land.

The Can blueline is stacked and I have yet to see how Rielly, Dumba, or Reinhart are superior prospects. I can pick apart all three of their games without much effort.
Yeah hes ahead of Rielly in scoring. his team has alsko scored 140ish goals while Riellys team scored around 80..... If you play on a powerhouse team your points will go up.

Im thinking if the Pens wanted a boom or bust prospect they should have gone with Grigorenko imo. Still hoping Pouliot will pan out tho. Lets hope his confidence aint hurt and he keeps puting up points.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Yeah hes ahead of Rielly in scoring. his team has alsko scored 140ish goals while Riellys team scored around 80..... If you play on a powerhouse team your points will go up.

Im thinking if the Pens wanted a boom or bust prospect they should have gone with Grigorenko imo. Still hoping Pouliot will pan out tho. Lets hope his confidence aint hurt and he keeps puting up points.
Few would argue Green is the best offensive blueliner in the NHL and he didn't even avg a point a game his last season with the Blades, when they were the second highest scoring team in the W. Bouwmeester only avg a point a game the year he was hyped as the next big thing out of MH.

Asking a blueliner in the W to score at a clip of more than a point a game is completely unrealistic. DP is doing exactly what he is suppose to and putting up the kind of stats you would expect from a top ten pick.

Huge difference between keeping realistic expectations and thinking he should be Bobby Orr.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 12-13-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Valarukar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
From what a lot of people who watched the games said, Dumba and murphy not pouliot should have been the ones cut. Murphy was a high 1st and hasn't been able to crack the team twice. Is he a bust?

It was an uphill battle for pouliot this year anyways. There were some returnees and a couple o-minded d men in front of him. It's generally been a 19 year old tourney in years past so there really isn't too much to get excited about
Dumba was brutal in that last game

Valarukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
deakka

Quote:
Few would argue Green is the best offensive blueliner in the NHL and he didn't even avg a point a game his last season with the Blades, when they were the second highest scoring team in the W. Bouwmeester only avg a point a game the year he was hyped as the next big thing out of MH.

Asking a blueliner in the W to score at a clip of more than a point a game is completely unrealistic. DP is doing exactly what he is suppose to and putting up the kind of stats you would expect from a top ten pick.

Huge difference between keeping realistic expectations and thinking he should be Bobby Orr.
I was just pointing out the fact that Pouliot outscoring Rielly means nothing seeing they play on completely different teams. Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
I was just pointing out the fact that Pouliot outscoring Rielly means nothing seeing they play on completely different teams. Its like comparing apples to oranges.
While i agree that its tough to compare the 2 players and their teams, there is a difference to being just a decent player on a very good team and a very good player that makes a good team even better.

Pouliot is first pairing PP and usually first pairing PK. He has the luxury of being surrounded by a couple very good d-men and forwards but he is a major part of the sucess that starts from the d.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
It's like comparing a top pick offensive blueliner to a top pick offensive blueliner, who both play in the same league.

Most people who haved followed the W now and in the past know that top tier blueliners are doing well if they avg a point a game.

I can't think of any current top tier NHL blueliners who ate up the W like people want DP to do. This isn't the Q.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Jacob

Nobody expected Pouliot to make team Canada on draft day and that was when we thought there'd be an NHL season. I don't see this as much of a surprise.

I also don't see how his chances of making the team next season somehow becomes harder. Spots will be opened up by Harrington & Hamilton being too old, and Reilly might be with Toronto. it's no lock but his chances next year, if he continues to develop as he has, seem decent enough.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
deakka

Quote:
It's like comparing a top pick offensive blueliner to a top pick offensive blueliner, who both play in the same league.

Most people who haved followed the W now and in the past know that top tier blueliners are doing well if they avg a point a game.

I can't think of any current top tier NHL blueliners who ate up the W like people want DP to do. This isn't the Q.
So you mean its not harder for Rielly to produce points on a bad team than it is for Pouliot on a powerhouse team who has scored 60 more goals?

Old
12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
So you mean its not harder for Rielly to produce points on a bad team than it is for Pouliot on a powerhouse team who has scored 60 more goals?
No one is saying that. What they are saying is that his stats are still impressive, regardless of how much you want to discount them. Plus, it's not like he is freeloading off of the team. He is a first pairing all situations dman for them and is a huge part of their success. Do you discount Crosby or Malkin's points over Kopitar because the Pens score more goals?

Old
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I've seen plenty of good prospects put up big points on bad teams.

Go find a successful blueliner in today's NHL, that had avg more than a point a game in the W. Good luck with that. The most hyped blueliner in the last decade was Bouwmeester and he put up around 65 in 65 his last season.

Once again, unless people have Orr like expectations for DP, he is doing exactly what he should be this season. Acting as if he is playing like a bust or having a disappointing season is disingenuous at best.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
penguins2946*

I've already voiced my displeasure about the Pouliot pick, but there isn't a very high chance that he will be a bust. Yes, he will be a PP QB in the future, but honestly, that won't be here. Look at what the Pens did with Whitney. Look at what they did with Gogo. All I see in Pouliot is another Goligoski that will provide us a few productive years and then will be traded for someone we actually need. Yes, I fully believe he will be an top-4 offensive threat, but when you are behind people like Dumoulin, Harrington, Letang, Maatta and Despres, I don't think that will happen here. And that isn't even mentioning Morrow, who is on the hot seat in the AHL right now.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I've already voiced my displeasure about the Pouliot pick, but there isn't a very high chance that he will be a bust. Yes, he will be a PP QB in the future, but honestly, that won't be here. Look at what the Pens did with Whitney. Look at what they did with Gogo. All I see in Pouliot is another Goligoski that will provide us a few productive years and then will be traded for someone we actually need. Yes, I fully believe he will be an top-4 offensive threat, but when you are behind people like Dumoulin, Harrington, Letang, Maatta and Despres, I don't think that will happen here. And that isn't even mentioning Morrow, who is on the hot seat in the AHL right now.
None of us know what's going to happen. Pouliot might bust, he might be great. He might be a Penguin long term, he might not. The same thing can be said for nearly every other D prospect we have. I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
None of us know what's going to happen. Pouliot might bust, he might be great. He might be a Penguin long term, he might not. The same thing can be said for nearly every other D prospect we have. I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.
My point was that someone like Harrington will more likely have a spot here than someone like Pouliot. Then again, pretty much any of the D can be a bust, so I don't know. I meant that as if every one of the D reach their potential, I think Pouliot will be the 1st to go.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Dumoulin, Maata, Harrington and Despres are all good 2 way d-men with Harrington being the most defensive minded. Morrow is also another 2 way guy with a bullet that would be great on the PP. None of the d-men listed above have Pouliots high end offensive game IMO. I actually see Pouliot turning out to be more like Letang than any other d prospect in the system. Letang has gotten much more gritty and better in his own end the past several seasons. Hopefully in a couple seasons, DP will get better in his own end and become more physical aswell - both parts of his game he has mentioned he is working on

Old
12-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
If they trade him for full value, that's fine. That's always a possibility and often the best case scenario.

I wasn't please w/ the pick from the relative paucity of information I had prior to the draft. I'd still prefer they had gone in another direction. But Pouliot getting cut is neither a surprise nor a damning of his ability. This is a very good generation of young Canadian d-men. Pouliot is much more of a project than many of the other Canadian D. He was a long-shot and it would have been a big affirmation had he made the team.

And I wouldn't say Morrow's on the hot seat, just adjusting to pro hockey.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Dumoulin, Maata, Harrington and Despres are all good 2 way d-men with Harrington being the most defensive minded. Morrow is also another 2 way guy with a bullet that would be great on the PP. None of the d-men listed above have Pouliots high end offensive game IMO. I actually see Pouliot turning out to be more like Letang than any other d prospect in the system. Letang has gotten much more gritty and better in his own end the past several seasons. Hopefully in a couple seasons, DP will get better in his own end and become more physical aswell - both parts of his game he has mentioned he is working on
I wasn't comparing their offensive abilities, I was just saying he would be behind those ones. Pouliot is the most gifted offensively, by far. The issue is that he probably won't be NHL ready for about 2-4 years, and by then, most likely Harrington, Dumoulin, Despres and maybe Matta will be there already. I can see the Letang comparison, but I don't think he will become that good.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
If they trade him for full value, that's fine. That's always a possibility and often the best case scenario.

I wasn't please w/ the pick from the relative paucity of information I had prior to the draft. I'd still prefer they had gone in another direction. But Pouliot getting cut is neither a surprise nor a damning of his ability. This is a very good generation of young Canadian d-men. Pouliot is much more of a project than many of the other Canadian D. He was a long-shot and it would have been a big affirmation had he made the team.

And I wouldn't say Morrow's on the hot seat, just adjusting to pro hockey.
I saw a tweet that sums up my opinion really well on Morrow:

""Two months into his rookie season, and three days past his 20th birthday, it looks like it’s time for the training wheels to come off for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defenseman Joe Morrow."

He goes and posts a -4 rating that night. I may be underestimating how long it takes a defender to adjust to a new team, but last night was inexcusable.

And I'm not surprised he got cut on the 1st day. Didn't play his game last night. He tried to be something he wasn't.