HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers Avs

Old
12-13-2012, 03:25 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Oilers Avs

To Oilers
Steve Downie

To Avs
Ales Hemsky
2nd round pick

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:27 AM
oilerfan17

vCash: 500
I don't think the Oilers would trade Hemsky for a RW.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:56 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

I don't think the Avs would do this from a neutral fan base. Edmonton needs to develop some downies

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:19 AM
PAZ

Nope, given our injury past want nothing to do with Hemsky. Plus we're looking for a scoring winger, not a playmaker.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm pretty sure Hemsky is worth more than that.

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:34 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Edmonton is overpaying, but for once I actually like a proposal that Oilersfan is making. I'd love Downie on my team. He's got some offense upside and he's solid sandpaper. I've always been a big fan of him for a long time.

Wonder if we'd do Yakupov-Gagner-Downie after a trade like this for a 2nd line. That would be exciting to watch.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Eh... this is a tough one tbh. You'd have to overpay to get a guy like Downie IN-division. I simply would hate to play against him.

But I'm in the minority that thinks Hemsky still has some value in him, at least to the Avs whom look like they'd have the perfect center for him in Duchene. Hemsky's speed and hands I think compliment Duchy's style just right.

In the end I'd say no, given the injury risk and not wanting to play against Downie. But if we weren't in the same division I'd be mighty tempted.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:27 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Eh... this is a tough one tbh. You'd have to overpay to get a guy like Downie IN-division. I simply would hate to play against him.

But I'm in the minority that thinks Hemsky still has some value in him, at least to the Avs whom look like they'd have the perfect center for him in Duchene. Hemsky's speed and hands I think compliment Duchy's style just right.

In the end I'd say no, given the injury risk and not wanting to play against Downie. But if we weren't in the same division I'd be mighty tempted.
^that's because posters give up way too easily on players once they see a flaw or two....suddenly they have either a diminished value or no value at all. such is life on the HF Boards.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^that's because posters give up way too easily on players once they see a flaw or two....suddenly they have either a diminished value or no value at all. such is life on the HF Boards.
Has nothing to do with flaws, Ales Hemsky is a tremendous hockey player but you have to admit, he's been injured a lot the past 3 years or so.

I have to believe that's the only reason he's being offered to the Avs in a deal like this at all.

As others have mentioned, we traded for a guy like Downie because as a team we also needed what he brings to the table.

So kudos to the OP, I think the value is more than fair but the Avs would decline because as already mentioned, we'd have to play against Downie in the division*, Hemsky is double the money with more of an injury risk and we'd just be searching for another Downie type player again afterwards.

(*although re-alignment might eventually change this, who knows when they end up doing that...)

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Easy no from this Avs fan.

No way we trade downie after just 20 games last year, and 20 games in which he was playing over a ppg pace before separating his shoulder and playing injured down the stretch. At this point its possible Downie could be a 50-60 point guy next year, and with all the other stuff he brings, wouldnt trade him for Hemskey.

Also, I would say theres basically 0% chance the Avs trade Downie within the division, having to play him 6 times a year would just be terrible.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
No chance. Why would we trade someone like Downie in the division for someone who's slaughtered regularly by his own fanbase? (or is that Horcoff I'm thinking about)

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

@PinkEye....^deal...either Elliot or Shattenkirk will do!

Old
12-13-2012, 10:46 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
No chance. Why would we trade someone like Downie in the division for someone who's slaughtered regularly by his own fanbase? (or is that Horcoff I'm thinking about)
first off, Downie isn't that valuable to the Oilers because we already have Ben Eager.

secondly, both Hemsky and Horcoff are constantly ragged on by Oiler fans for different reasons....Hemsky because he's oft injured and Horcoff because he has never lived up to his rich contract, scoring wise.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

no from the oilers

not a fan of Downie, does too many stupid things for my liking

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Lacaar

Hemsky is in the unique position that he's too risky to trade for from another teams stance and he's too much of a pandora's box for Edmonton to let go of without a solid return.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Iceonfire

We drafted Moroz and Khaira this year to fill that need. It will take some time for them to develop, but at the same time we would not have to trade away assets. I say wait and see if Hemsky gets better.

Although I am a Downie fan, guy is a beast.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
first off, Downie isn't that valuable to the Oilers because we already have Ben Eager.

secondly, both Hemsky and Horcoff are constantly ragged on by Oiler fans for different reasons....Hemsky because he's oft injured and Horcoff because he has never lived up to his rich contract, scoring wise.
Downie is so much better than Eager that it's beyond ridiculous to even put the two of them in the same sentence. Eager is Edmonton's (slightly better) version of Cody McLeod.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
cgf

Downie's the winger I'd least want to trade away after Landeskog. I think at some point he'll make a great winger for Matt Duchene and in the mean time forms one hell of line with Lando and O'Reilly.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
The Red Line

Meh. Both teams keep what they have.

The Red Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Downie is so much better than Eager that it's beyond ridiculous to even put the two of them in the same sentence. Eager is Edmonton's (slightly better) version of Cody McLeod.
Downie is a better scorer, but we would be getting him more for his toughness....in that regard, he and Eager are both tough grinders who will drop the gloves. therefore for the Oilers needs, we already have what we need in Eager and simply don't need Downie.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Hard to decide, but I'll pass. Downie is good for the team.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Downie is a better scorer, but we would be getting him more for his toughness....in that regard, he and Eager are both tough grinders who will drop the gloves. therefore for the Oilers needs, we already have what we need in Eager and simply don't need Downie.
Downie actually has hockey skills. While I don't disagree that Eagar can fill the toughness role, I wouldn't call Downie a grinder.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^while not a true enforcer, Downie has had seasons of 208 and 171 PM...and he has a fair number of videos on HockeyFights.com

Old
12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Hemsky is in the unique position that he's too risky to trade for from another teams stance and he's too much of a pandora's box for Edmonton to let go of without a solid return.
Agreed. Plus, if we're trading him, I want him going out east. I want to play against him as little as possible

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
Downie's career high is 46 points. Eager's is 16. They're not really comparable as players.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote