HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This will NOT be the year of the Backup.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
This will NOT be the year of the Backup.

Or will it?

In an hypothetical 50 gm season... The assumption is teams will ride their #1's hard with games being of greater value than during an 82 game season...

The flip side is with a greater compression in the schedule, teams will be utilizing their backups more often in a more strategic manner so their #1s at least will still experience as close to a normal schedule as possible.

So... what do we see? Backups of the bonifide #1's getting 10 gms? 5 gms? less? more? Does Kipper play the whole season?

i.e. Do you see the ratio of games in which all backups play decrease or increase relative to normal yr?

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
I'd bet some will even start on back to back games. I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys play 40-45 out of 50 games.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
I'll send my resume to the Predators so I can backup Rinne, would be the easiest 500K I'd ever make.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Probably also depends heavily on how the schedule looks--I imagine the backups would be preferred for less meaningful games (inter-conference), but those games might also be the first to go in the shortened season.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
questhockey

I actually see this as the reverse of what will happen. I believe backups are going to be relied on more due to fact that there will be so many back to back games. Plus I see backups making or breaking the season for most teams.
Your backup plays 10 games in a 50 game season, he better be good.

Teams like St. Louis, LA, Vancouver (if Luongo can't be traded) will have a huge advantages over team with a clear #1, and mediocre backup.

Just my 2 cents, but I really think with a shortened season, there will be many more injuries to #1's (groin pulls, goalie interference) due to fact the p;layers will be playing with extra intensity, due to the fact that every second of every game will be crucial.

IMO, a shortened season may make this year one of the best season to watch in years.. High pace, tons of hits, just an all out fight for points.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
I actually see this as the reverse of what will happen. I believe backups are going to be relied on more due to fact that there will be so many back to back games. Plus I see backups making or breaking the season for most teams.
Your backup plays 10 games in a 50 game season, he better be good.

Teams like St. Louis, LA, Vancouver (if Luongo can't be traded) will have a huge advantages over team with a clear #1, and mediocre backup.

Just my 2 cents, but I really think with a shortened season, there will be many more injuries to #1's (groin pulls, goalie interference) due to fact the p;layers will be playing with extra intensity, due to the fact that every second of every game will be crucial.

IMO, a shortened season may make this year one of the best season to watch in years.. High pace, tons of hits, just an all out fight for points.

Or it make be the dullest with players so out of shape that they try to drag the game down to the lowest common denominator... just like how it worked out last shortened season... giving birth to the dead puck era.

But i'm more optimistic this go around.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote