HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That was my point. This team already had a hard enough time working the count. In certain cases a 9 pitch at-bat that results in an out is better than a first pitch single. The thing with relying on guys that don't walk but hit for a high average, is that if they aren't hitting, they are basically useless. A guy like Swisher, if he's not hitting is still useful because he can work a count and draw a walk.
And who's fault is that? Perhaps the "hitting guru" manager that has continually allowed Rollins to swing at the first pitch even though he's the leadoff hitter?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
And who's fault is that? Perhaps the "hitting guru" manager that has continually allowed Rollins to swing at the first pitch even though he's the leadoff hitter?
Oh, man... don't even get me started on Chollie. He got a life-long pass for going along for the ride with a great roster, but it has been obvious that the game had passed him by so long ago that he doesn't even know what to call it anymore.

Go trash your young players in the media and demand big FA/trade moves for vets some more to try to mask your obvious deficiencies in teaching anyone anything. And when you flub some more games by mismanaging to the point of ineptitude your bullpen and bench please remember that your replacement is sitting right next to you now, old man.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
BringBackStevens

Players are what they are, especially when they are 30+ years old. The manager isn't going to get them to change their approach

Old
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
CootaRoo

MLB Trade Rumors suggesting that the Phillies have interest in Scott Hairston (.750+ OPS in 5 of his last 6 seasons, average corner outfield defense) and are also suggesting he could be had for less than Johnny Gomes' 2 year/10M deal.

I'd give him 2 years and 8M to play 100 games a year as an insurance policy while Brown and Ruff develop and/or show whether they are going to sink or swim in the majors. That'd still give both of the kids 100+ games a piece (and 500ish ABs between PH'ing and starting) and would represent a big upgrade to the bench/PH rotation (as 1 of the 3 would always be sitting), too.

If you're playing Moneyball, he gave the Mets 2 WAR aggregate over the last 2 seasons in semi-limited action (79 games in '11 and 134 in '12) so that'd be a nice value bet by Ruben, imo - particuliarly in their current situation with regards to the corner OF position. I like it a whole lot more than overpaying Swisher to stunt one of Ruff/Brown's growth.

Last edited by CootaRoo: 12-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 11:36 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Contrary to what many think, working a count is a skill. Charlie can talk until he's blue in the face, but its hard to change someone's approach drastically when that's how they got to the big leagues. If anyone's to blame, its the organization. They continue to undervalue this skill, both at the upper and lower levels of the system.

And for all the flack Rollins gets, he actually has an above average walk rate.

EDIT: Looking at the 2008 lineup, they had 6 guys over a 9% walk rate: Burrell, Werth, Ruiz, Howard, Utley, and Rollins.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 12-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 12:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Players are what they are, especially when they are 30+ years old. The manager isn't going to get them to change their approach
Players are what they are because managers let them become what they are.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Broad Street Elite

Well, I guess RAJ isn't the only Free agent ninja:

Quote:
Angels, Josh Hamilton Nearing Deal
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 12:59pm CST]

The Angels are getting close to a deal with Josh Hamilton, Yahoo's Tim Brown reports (on Twitter). The deal with the Moye Sports Associates client is not quite done, Brown adds. Joe McDonnell of FoxSportsWest.com first reported that the Angels were involved in serious talks with Hamilton (Twitter link).

This would mark the second time in as many winters that Angels owner Arte Moreno and general manager Jerry Dipoto have signed an elite free agent unexpectedly. The Angels signed Albert Pujols to a ten-year deal at last year's Winter Meetings to the surprise of many.

If the Angels complete a deal with Hamilton, he'd join a lineup that already includes Pujols and Mike Trout. An agreement could put Peter Bourjos and/or Mark Trumbo on the trade block, however.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#yTgS61KKXexyVSIo.99

Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
CootaRoo

CJ Wilson and Josh Hamilton both going to the same direct divisional rival in less than a year would be tough for Rangers fans to take, I'd imagine.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Hmmm, giving out all these huge contracts does make it easier for the Phillies to potentially sign Michael Nelson Trout.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Angels To Sign Josh Hamilton
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 1:39pm CST]

1:39pm: It's a five-year, $125MM contract, ESPNDallas.com reports.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#CVHvj9VYwgA4yhYM.99
Terrible deal imo. Angels really trying to win over the next 2-3 seasons. After than, they'll have two dinosaurs at 25 million a year.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Hmmm, giving out all these huge contracts does make it easier for the Phillies to potentially sign Michael Nelson Trout.
Maybe they are waiting for next year and go after Giancarlo Stanton Anyone know what time today they are to officially introduce Ben?

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 12-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
I think if the Phils found a way to pry him from the Angels without dumping guys like Hamels/Ruf/Lee/Halladay there would be a collective need to change trousers.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So... who do we go for now? Soriano and Loshe?

Old
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Terrible deal imo. Angels really trying to win over the next 2-3 seasons. After than, they'll have two dinosaurs at 25 million a year.
You have to wonder what the Ranger's offer was? I am glad the Phils stuck to their guns and did not get caught up in a bidding war. 125 mil is a lot of coin and five years for a guy with a lot of baggage is a long time.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd prefer neither lol.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I think if the Phils found a way to pry him from the Angels without dumping guys like Hamels/Ruf/Lee/Halladay there would be a collective need to change trousers.
No pressure, kid.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Man I hope it is not Soriano. Unless the cubbies pay 99% of his salary.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Curtis Granderson? I know he's techincally a center fielder but I don't see why he couldn't play right

Old
12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I thought Bourn got picked up. Wow did I have a memory lapse.

Bourn, Diaz, Hairston, Ross, and Swisher should be the other ones to consider?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Maybe they are waiting for next year and go after Giancarlo Stanton Anyone know what time today they are to officially introduce Ben?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Im not talking about trading for him, I mean when he is a free agent in 4 or 5 years. They just keep on giving out massive contracts. The Phillies will have their TV deal by then and he grew up a Phillies fan. Just saying...

Old
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
You have to wonder what the Ranger's offer was? I am glad the Phils stuck to their guns and did not get caught up in a bidding war. 125 mil is a lot of coin and five years for a guy with a lot of baggage is a long time.
Apparently Hamilton never gave them an opportunity to match or improve their offer as he had agreed to do. Their best offer to date was 3 years, but they were under the impression that they would be able to negotiate based on another team's offer. That they believed that would happen makes them the fools.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Im not talking about trading for him, I mean when he is a free agent in 4 or 5 years. They just keep on giving out massive contracts. The Phillies will have their TV deal by then and he grew up a Phillies fan. Just saying...
I hear you. Is Stanton a FA next year?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Apparently Hamilton never gave them an opportunity to match or improve their offer as he had agreed to do. Their best offer to date was 3 years, but they were under the impression that they would be able to negotiate based on another team's offer. That they believed that would happen makes them the fools.
Ouch. The rangers are going to have to do something after losing three key players out of their line up and not getting anything back. They are in big trouble out west.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I hear you. Is Stanton a FA next year?
No

Quote:
Better hope his agent doesn't OK a team friendly extension.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Better hope his agent doesn't OK a team friendly extension.
Is he back home for the holidays? Maybe some of us can start "tampering" that way the Phils don't have to get they're hands dirty.

"C'mon man you know you wanna play here. You know they'll give you $100+ mil.."

Closed Thread