HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Germany

Old
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Maverick41

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenf View Post
The german Entry List on iihf.com ist online, very early for germany. The list looks better but is missing Klöpper.
I wonder why that is. Maybe Krefeld didn't release him? The kid has played 17 games this season in the DEL. Same with Kevin Orendorz who has played 16 games for Krefeld in the DEL.

But who knows maybe there is some reasoning from the coaches perspective that makes perfect sense (e.g. chemistry, etc.), but just based on their accomplishments I am a little disappointed with this preliminary roster. I wonder who will be the final cuts.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
Well looking at the iihf.com list, there are some hits to my predicted roster...

G- Marvin Cüpper (94)
G- Philip Lehr (93)

Haase(93)- Keller(93)
Kronthaler(93)- Faber(93)
Mebus(93)- Mierandres(93)
Bar(93)...Kindl(93) next in line

Since Kindl did not make this list, I will put Tim Bender next

These are not actual lines... just an idea of the order

Reider(93)- Draisaitl(95)- Pföderl(93)
Pauli (93)- Uvira(93)- Kahun(95)
Latta(93)- Kretschmann(93)- Kurth(94)
Fischbuch(93)-Grözinger(93)-Sekesi(93)
I would put Tiffels and Reimer in instead of the two absent players

ktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
Well looking at the iihf.com list, there are some hits to my predicted roster...

G- Marvin Cüpper (94)
G- Philip Lehr (93)

Haase(93)- Keller(93)
Kronthaler(93)- Faber(93)
Mebus(93)- Mierandres(93)
Bar(93)...Kindl(93) next in line

Since Kindl did not make this list, I will put Tim Bender next

These are not actual lines... just an idea of the order

Reider(93)- Draisaitl(95)- Pföderl(93)
Pauli (93)- Uvira(93)- Kahun(95)
Latta(93)- Kretschmann(93)- Kurth(94)
Fischbuch(93)-Grözinger(93)-Sekesi(93)
I would put Tiffels and Reimer in instead of the two absent players
Looking good to me, except that I would probably switch either Pföderl with Kahun and then have Kahun on center and Draisaitl on the wing, or I'd switch Draisaitl with Uvira and again put him on the wing and Kahun at center.
These two (Draisaitl and Kahun) have played together so well in German Juniors, that I don't want to see them split up.

Of course a lot could change if Rieder doesn't get healthy in time.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Garl

Oliver Mebus 6'9 240 lbs
Dennis Reimer 6'5 233 lbs

And there are some other 220 lbs kids.

What do they eat in Germany?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Oliver Mebus 6'9 240 lbs

Efficiency.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Oliver Mebus 6'9 240 lbs

Are either of these guys actually good players or are they just big? If either have a good showing at the WJC I'd be very shocked if teams didn't at least take a late round flier on one or both of them.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Bure80

Only can give the stats of these two.

Oliver Mebus
http://www.rodi-db.de/player.php?id=8189

Dennis Reimer
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43484

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Are either of these guys actually good players or are they just big? If either have a good showing at the WJC I'd be very shocked if teams didn't at least take a late round flier on one or both of them.
Hard to say. I have never seen Reimer play, so I can't comment there, and the last time I saw Mebus play is now almost 2 years ago. Back then his skating was problematic, which is not surprising for a guy his size. I also remember that he dindn't use his reach as effective as I would have liked, but he was not bad.
Back then he seemed very raw, and I doubted that he would ever become a legit NHL prospect, but I could see him turning into a solid DEL player and maybe make the national team some day. A bit like Dennis Reul.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Scouty
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In addition to the very likely Draisaitl, Rieder and Orendorz, who I think will all be there if healthy, I've bolded the names of players who - also if healthy - should at least be in Ufa with the team.

Some others who may have a decent shot are forwards Sven Ziegler (EBB), Denis Shevyrin (KEV), Eric Gollenbeck (MJA), and defenseman Dominik Tiffels (MJA).

Kaufbeuren's Markus Eisenschmid was thought of as a strong possibility heading into the season, but his start was modest (not bad) and now he's injured, I believe.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that Dman Tim Bender (MJA) is at least brought along for the ride as one of the 8 or 9 Dmen.

Unfortunately for Germany, Yasin Ehliz just barely misses the cut agewise. He's been very good taking a fairly regular shift in the DEL this season, well on his way to a 25 point season.
1993 Best German players

G Cüpper

D Kindl

F Rieder

Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
1993 Best German players

G Cüpper

D Kindl

F Rieder
Can you tell us a bit about Kindl?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
Only can give the stats of these two.

Oliver Mebus
http://www.rodi-db.de/player.php?id=8189

Dennis Reimer
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Hard to say. I have never seen Reimer play, so I can't comment there, and the last time I saw Mebus play is now almost 2 years ago. Back then his skating was problematic, which is not surprising for a guy his size. I also remember that he dindn't use his reach as effective as I would have liked, but he was not bad.
Back then he seemed very raw, and I doubted that he would ever become a legit NHL prospect, but I could see him turning into a solid DEL player and maybe make the national team some day. A bit like Dennis Reul.
Thanks, guys.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Snippit

Is Rieder good to go?

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Zerressen is too old. Born in 1992.
ah thanks!

12-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Scouty
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Can you tell us a bit about Kindl?
Kindl is a talented defenseman with few holes in his game. He already has good command in the defensive zone, and can contribute offensively with both good passing skills and a hard, accurate shot. More details contact Greg Thomson or Larry Mitchell.

Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
zambonidriver

Quote:
I don`t agree ( anymore ) with your opinion and he is nothing like Dennis Reul ....He plays not so physical but can play on PP pretty well ...Smart player ...BTW he got some college offers , too

zambonidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
zambonidriver

Quote:
I don`t agree ( anymore ) with your opinion and he is nothing like Dennis Reul ....He plays not so physical but can play on PP pretty well ...Smart player ...BTW he got some college offers , too

Old
12-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonidriver View Post
Thanks for the insight. Like I said my viewings of him were a long time ago and my assessment therefore outdated. Hopefully he can show his potential at the WJC.

BTW I didn't mean that he plays like Reul, but that he like Reul, might not have the skills to make it in the NHL (at least what it looked like 2 years ago), but could still turn out to become a very solid DEL player and a member of the national team.
I guess I should have made that a bit clearer.

But again thanks for the update on Mebus.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Oliver Mebus 6'9 240 lbs

I know man, German kids are huge. Five German exchange students (boys) at my Highschool, shortest is 6'3, tallest is 6'8, they're all either 15 or 16. I'm friends with one of them from Hamburg and he's 6'7. It's just ridiculous. All of them played on the football and basketball teams.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I know man, German kids are huge. Five German exchange students (boys) at my Highschool, shortest is 6'3, tallest is 6'8, they're all either 15 or 16. I'm friends with one of them from Hamburg and he's 6'7. It's just ridiculous. All of them played on the football and basketball teams.
Interesting stuff.

At the Div. IA WJC last winter at exactly this time, the German team was clearly the biggest and fittest of the participants. Lots of big boys and many looked a good bit older than just 18/19/20.

This said, I've always been surprised at the number of large defenseman around the hockey world who originally come from Slovakia. Man have they produced some real biggins over the years.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I wonder why that is. Maybe Krefeld didn't release him? The kid has played 17 games this season in the DEL. Same with Kevin Orendorz who has played 16 games for Krefeld in the DEL.

But who knows maybe there is some reasoning from the coaches perspective that makes perfect sense (e.g. chemistry, etc.), but just based on their accomplishments I am a little disappointed with this preliminary roster. I wonder who will be the final cuts.
I still have to think that Orendorz and Klöpper are or have been in the running.

Still, despite the number of DEL games they've suited up for this season, I've gotta think that the program - since the staff has relatively few on-ice sessions for the U20 team and its many candidates to really get to know the kids and who'd fit in best - do tend to place value on what type of ice time the boys are getting and what their roles are, regardless of the league.

That is, it shouldn't be surprising if a kid who gets top line minutes and regular PP time in the Oberliga, much less the 2nd Bundesliga, is taken ahead of a kid like Orendorz or Klöpper who might get 3-8 shifts a game at the DEL level and are not getting special team minutes, also missing out on valuable lower league ice time in the process. Also, as much as the DNL has improved in recent years, we shouldn't assume that 17 or 18 year olds who are currently scoring big there will have much less of a shot over others who are a tick older and playing regularly in pro ranks.

But we'll find out for sure soon enough.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Kindl is a talented defenseman with few holes in his game. He already has good command in the defensive zone, and can contribute offensively with both good passing skills and a hard, accurate shot. More details contact Greg Thomson or Larry Mitchell.
Thanks for the info.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes it.

Whereas Cüpper looks to be the man in goal and the coaching staff truly has a number of options up front, all things considered, the blueline seems to be the area with the most competition. I'd once again only go so far as to say that Haase, Keller, and Kronthaler are the locks and these three boys certainly aren't anything close to their counterparts playing for teams like Canada, Russia and the USA, although each can play physical.

I really don't know who else is going to make it.

I'm hoping Bender is one of the boys, but that's just because of his status as a draft hopeful in the upcoming draft. It's very possible that his DNL success still pales in comparison to the overall play offered by a few of the older players currently taking on minor to mid-sized roles in the 2nd league or an Oberliga team.

If Kindl is truly a good puckmover and can take solid and consistant one-timers, that is an element that Germany doesn't have in spades, so he'd have to have as good a shot at making it as anyone.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
ktf

I thought Kindl was in the battle to make the team, but he is not on the preliminary roster, so it looks like he is out.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Destroyer100

I have seen the Oshawa Generals a lot and i can tell you that Uvira is a workhorse and is very competitive. He will be a great player for you guys i can't wait to see him play for Germany. As a Canadian fan i wish the best and good luck to your team it looks solid to me. I know you have a good one in Uvira.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
ktf

So any word out of the German camp? I believe they were suppose to be opening camp on the 15th.
Based on their preliminary roster they only have to cut 1 goalie, 4 dmen, and 2 forwards.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:15 AM
zambonidriver

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Like I said my viewings of him were a long time ago and my assessment therefore outdated. Hopefully he can show his potential at the WJC.

BTW I didn't mean that he plays like Reul, but that he like Reul, might not have the skills to make it in the NHL (at least what it looked like 2 years ago), but could still turn out to become a very solid DEL player and a member of the national team.
I guess I should have made that a bit clearer.

But again thanks for the update on Mebus.
You are welcome :-)) NHL is not so easy ..but if Schubert made it ... :-)) Mebus has the right coach ;-)