HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

St. Louis vs NYR SCF matchup-who wins?

Old
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Another common response, and another flawed one.

My team was pretty successful against St. Louis last year, so no, that's not a valid argument here either.

A disgruntled Blackhawk fan because the Blues are now the best team in the division?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

vCash: 500
Is it not telling when all people can come up with are responses linked to "you're just jealous" or "you hate the team so you're just looking for further reasons to dislike them?"

It's so silly. Fans are utterly unable to consider altering viewpoints. Everything must be just as they say it is. A differing opinion can't possibly be motivated by anything other than jealousy

But no, as a Blackhawk fan I don't find myself particularly jealous of St. Louis as far as success is concerned. I think the reasons for that are fairly obvious, so let's not get into them. They are as irrelevant as the "you're just jealous" response is.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf9 View Post
No, but when someone discredits the opinions of others and outright tells them they're wrong, you can come off as a bit of a jerk. Honestly, you're acting as if your opinion somehow became fact when there's little to credit it.

So don't throw out the "it's just my opinion" card immediately after attacking others. There's a difference between attacking and disagreeing with someone.
Huh? When have I attacked anyone in this thread? All I have been doing is defending my point of view and stating why I find certain teams or their styles boring to watch.

I have made a distinct effort not to be antagonistic. I haven't attacked anybody nor have I outright said anybody was wrong. Did I not say multiple times "I can definitely understand your point of view," "some people certainly like different things than others," etc.?

EDIT: Perhaps you've misconstrued me refuting the suggestions of others (relating to why I find certain teams dull to watch) as somehow a kind of attack. If they suggest I don't like watching, for example, St. Louis because I'm jealous of their success, I'd say I'm entitled to being a little annoyed by it. For one, because that's ridiculous. But more importantly because it's irrelevant and completely avoiding the topic.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 12-13-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 02:46 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
St. Louis was top 10 in shots last year. They're a heavy forechecking team and not a sit back and trap team. You should know this though, because like you said, you watch enough of their games..
Yeah but look what happened vs the Kings.....stifled by defensive hockey because they don't really have any gamebreaking players besides Pietrangelo

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:48 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I don't know how anybody can call the Blues style boring. Aggressive forechecking, backchecking, relentless style is exciting as hell. They drop the gloves too. Backes, Oshie, Sobotka, Steen are relentless. Plus, the top 3 lines are full of 20+ goal scorers. Now add in Tarasenko and possibly Schwartz? The Blues are loaded up and down their entire lineup. And, how many teams in history sent their backup goalie to the ASG? lol.
I watched their playoff games last year and they were very boring and there isn't alot of fighting in the playoffs, 2 defensive teams just isn't fun to watch to a casual viewer

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:16 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Is it not telling when all people can come up with are responses linked to "you're just jealous" or "you hate the team so you're just looking for further reasons to dislike them?"

It's so silly. Fans are utterly unable to consider altering viewpoints. Everything must be just as they say it is. A differing opinion can't possibly be motivated by anything other than jealousy

But no, as a Blackhawk fan I don't find myself particularly jealous of St. Louis as far as success is concerned. I think the reasons for that are fairly obvious, so let's not get into them. They are as irrelevant as the "you're just jealous" response is.
so all this sheeps can't understand there are more open-minded, wise men with other opinions out there

Let's put your mind to the test,
Let's switch the whole franchises.
Your Chicago Blues don't have money but are close to be a real contender and your guys may not be skate and fight and hit like maniacs night in night out and play pretty good, successful hockey
Now you say its too boring, you don't watch em and their trap anymore? You wouldn't even follow em in the Stanleycup finals?

I tell you, you aren't jealous and you don't have to be, Hawks have a great team. You just don't like the Blues.

Last edited by spiny norman: 12-13-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: not needed
frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
UgotOSHIED

This series would be the definition of "trench warfare" and I'm salivating at the thought of it happening. A tight-checking, very physical matchup. No one is leaving this series without a few dozen black-and-blues. I am a Blues fan, but we have an epic history of early playoff exits, so I take Rangers in 6. Tarasenko is our offensive wild card, but he hasn't played in North America yet so I will reserve judgement on that.

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
UgotOSHIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I watched their playoff games last year and they were very boring and there isn't alot of fighting in the playoffs, 2 defensive teams just isn't fun to watch to a casual viewer
There were two quick KOs at the end of one of the Blues/Sharks games. Polak was trying to decapitate someone with those cinder blocks he calls hands, and Sobotka's little-man syndrome came to a head.

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
so all this sheeps can't understand there are more open-minded, wise men with other opinions out there

Let's put your mind to the test,
Let's switch the whole franchises.
Your Chicago Blues don't have money but are close to be a real contender and your guys may not be skate and fight and hit like maniacs night in night out and play pretty good, successful hockey
Now you say its too boring, you don't watch em and their trap anymore? You wouldn't even follow em in the Stanleycup finals?

I tell you, you aren't jealous and you don't have to be, Hawks have a great team. You just don't like the Blues.
You're ignoring something I've said multiple times already. I've acknowledged that of course people will not find their own team boring (especially when their team is winning, as both the Blues and Rangers are). So in your example, of course I'd watch this hypothetical favorite team of mine play. I'd tune in to every game just like I've done in the real world with my actual favorite team.

Does that somehow disqualify me from stating which other teams I like and don't like to watch? I don't understand what the point of your example was.
I have no reason to dislike the Blues. I became a Blackhawk and hockey fan after the heated rivalry between the two died down, and while it's recently gotten much testier, it's not back yet.
By your logic, I must hate the Rangers too. A team that's irrelevant as far as the Blackhawks are concerned, because they're in a different conference... no, I feel nothing negative toward NY, beyond my feeling that they're not particularly fun to watch. I feel the same way about New York as I do St. Louis. Not like I'm presenting a viewpoint relevant to this thread or anything like that.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 12-13-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: reword after mod edit
Old
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Chibi
Randomness

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread...I like it when two teams grind it out and play a hard-fought game that can go either way. As much as I love the Blues and think they are on their way to something great, I have to go with NYR to take the series in 6. The Rangers are my team in the East, and imo they just have that important edge in playoff experience/success over St. Louis. But who knows, it's hypothetical playoff hockey, anything can happen.

For me it would be a hell of a series to watch. But that's just the style of hockey that draws me in. I can see where it would be considered boring to people, it's what each person prefers.

Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Yeah but look what happened vs the Kings.....stifled by defensive hockey because they don't really have any gamebreaking players besides Pietrangelo
The Kings forecheck broke them and then the team defense helped keep the scoring opportunities down. I believe the Blues offense starts from guys like Pieterangelo and Shattenkirk, and those guys specifically were hammered down down low in their own zone and battered physically.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
Pitt would win that series. NYR is not good against them. You would know if you watched those games last season. As for Boston and Philly, if we played them I would get really mad if we did not win in less then 6.
Yeah, because regular season records are dispositive of playoff results. I'm sure LA's spectacular regular season record last year explains why they won the Cup.

/sarcasm

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
May be a boring series.

St. Louis probably doesn't have the offensive threats to tackle the Ranger's defensive system. New York probably opens up their offensive threats a bit more to take advantage of that disparity. Rangers win it in 6 or 7.

12-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
The Kings forecheck broke them and then the team defense helped keep the scoring opportunities down. I believe the Blues offense starts from guys like Pieterangelo and Shattenkirk, and those guys specifically were hammered down down low in their own zone and battered physically.
You could even say one was boarded from behind.

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
I will welcome our blue shirted overlords when the NHL returns.

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Freyj

Quote:
Kings sort of bulldozed through the entire 2012 SCP. Blues had a lot of issues after Petro was injured, defense broke down outside of Russell (played his heart out). Even when he came back he wasn't fully there. He needs a suitable pairing, can only hypothesize or hope Cole steps up at this point.

Tarasenko added for offense does nothing but great things for the Blues as well.

Freyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Rangers. More proven game breakers in their lineup to go with their defensive system/philosophy.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Rangers win vs the Blues because the StL goalies are overrated.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
A 1994 Stanley Cup ring?
No silly, a Wales Trophy in this case.

Quote:
Nonetheless, that doesn't refute what OS said.
Yes it does. I'm in the finals here. That refutes everything

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yes it does. I'm in the finals here. That refutes everything
Haha. Cheers.

Just wish we could have playoffs this year in the first place.
At least my whining would be relevant then. (Because while I do think it's a fair opinion to have, I definitely come off that way while talking about this topic).

Old
12-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Haha. Cheers.

Just wish we could have playoffs this year in the first place.
At least my whining would be relevant then. (Because while I do think it's a fair opinion to have, I definitely come off that way while talking about this topic).
Amen to that. It would be nice if all this debating could be answered on the ice

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I don't know how anybody can call the Blues style boring. Aggressive forechecking, backchecking, relentless style is exciting as hell. They drop the gloves too. Backes, Oshie, Sobotka, Steen are relentless. Plus, the top 3 lines are full of 20+ goal scorers. Now add in Tarasenko and possibly Schwartz? The Blues are loaded up and down their entire lineup. And, how many teams in history sent their backup goalie to the ASG? lol.
Epitome of overrated. I don't understand the love blues fans have for Oshie. Is it because he looks like he's 15?

Old
12-14-2012, 01:55 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Epitome of overrated. I don't understand the love blues fans have for Oshie. Is it because he looks like he's 15?
No. It's because he plays both ends of the rink and hits like a truck.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

I'd watch a NYR/STL final. Dunno why some of you wouldn't.

Better than seeing DET/PIT part 3.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
No. It's because he plays both ends of the rink and hits like a truck.
Like pretty much every player in the NHL does. I have seen plenty of Blues games and never saw Oshie stand out as anything other than average. His 54 points in 80 games last season were f***ing awesome. And that was his career high.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 12-14-2012 at 02:16 AM.