HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Jordan Staal traded to Carolina for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, 8th overall

Old
06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I'm totally with you on that one.

Although I must admit: it is hilarious to see folks get excited about some minor moves each offseason.... yeah like trading a few players is going to somehow magically alter 20 years of bad decisions and MLB's total lack of parity. It's like shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

You got a big lol out of me, congrats.

Who's your next target for slander so we can prepare ourselves?

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Hah actually I was trying to get something set up where you could watch live thru my site.

And no, I am not affiliated with them anymore at all
That would be awesome, just as long as you don't draw too much attention to it and get it shut down

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That would be awesome, just as long as you don't draw too much attention to it and get it shut down
Haha, bookmark it. That's all I'm going to say about it

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Shady Machine

Random thought, but I really hope Staal tears it up in Carolina. I'd like to see the two Staal brothers form one of the more potent lines in the league. It would just be cool to see.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Random thought, but I really hope Staal tears it up in Carolina. I'd like to see the two Staal brothers form one of the more potent lines in the league. It would just be cool to see.
I think they'll expand it further than that, but I agree, and them on the same PP could be a real treat.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I still love this trade as a Penguins fan. Pouliot is a high risk pick (one I feel that will pan out) but looking back, I don't know if there was a much better option at 8.

Now that you've had a few months to have it settle in, and with the lockout going on with no end in sight (meaning Staal would've walked for absolutely nothing), does that change the opinion of anyone initially against this trade?

Also, I have AHL Live for the Houston Aeros and I haven't had a chance to look up how Dumoulin has looked on the Penguins (plus the box score isn't always the best indicator), what's the general consensus of his play?

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
I still love this trade as a Penguins fan. Pouliot is a high risk pick (one I feel that will pan out) but looking back, I don't know if there was a much better option at 8.

Now that you've had a few months to have it settle in, and with the lockout going on with no end in sight (meaning Staal would've walked for absolutely nothing), does that change the opinion of anyone initially against this trade?

Also, I have AHL Live for the Houston Aeros and I haven't had a chance to look up how Dumoulin has looked on the Penguins (plus the box score isn't always the best indicator), what's the general consensus of his play?
I loved the trade, it was evident Staal was going to be traded. I honestly gained an enormous amount of respect for Rutherford. He made a hockey deal even with the knowledge that Staal would walk straight into his organization during FA.

I won't lie, I was at my sisters wedding and came home to see the trade and was confused with the Pouliot pick. With that said, people forget that the 2012 draft was weak. Really weak IMO. The Pens got a potential #3 puck moving d-man and a Maatta to boot. If people ***** about that then...wow...

When I saw the trade I was hoping for Sutter+Faulk, but Dumoulin+DePo+Sutter seems about the same value. I'm a BC fan so I've seen a lot of Dumoulin. He will reach his potential of a 2nd pairing d-man. Bank that. And IMHO he's been the most consistent WBS Penguin D-man. The argument could be made for Reese too.

Overall, an amazing deal. Maintain the 3C model and added invaluable assets.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:31 PM
MonsterSurge

I like Sutter's game. I have his jersey shirt sitting next to me!

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Still happy with what he got for Staal. Still would have liked to see Trouba taken instead of Pouliot. A younger Orpik, with a veterna Orpik to mentor him? Yes, please.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

More than happy with it and was before. Now there's no question it was the right thing to do and even if Staal hadn't forced Shero's hand, you can bet the CBA thing figured into his calculus. He knew that this year more than others "keeping him for one last Cup run before he leaves" was a risky proposition that might provide no value at all. And it looks like that's exactly where we're headed. Meantime Dumoulin looking really good in WBS / like a very solid pick up that can pay immediate dividends for us if someone gets hurt or is moved / waived.

Trust the Ray.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Shady Machine

Loved the deal then, minus the Pouliot pick, love the deal now (down with Pouliot but just felt there were better players and impact fowards at that spot). That deal made me feel good about Ray's relationship with GM's and the respect they have for each other. Great hockey trade for both sides. I really think I'm going to love Dumoulin and Sutter is a really enjoyable player. I will miss Staal, but as a hockey fan, I'm excited to see him get more opportunity on another team.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

I'm still happy with the trade. I am glad that we didn't lose Staal for absolutely nothing like I thought we would. In fact, we got a good deal considering the circumstances. I know that I will love Sutter and Dumoulin (if he makes it).

With that being said, I wouldn't have taken Pouliot. Nothing against him but I really thought this was our time to restock our offensive cupboard and potentially get a star. I was wanted Grigorenko badly and at pick 8 (even despite his shortcomings) his talent was well worth the risk.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
I'm still happy with the trade. I am glad that we didn't lose Staal for absolutely nothing like I thought we would. In fact, we got a good deal considering the circumstances. I know that I will love Sutter and Dumoulin (if he makes it).

With that being said, I wouldn't have taken Pouliot. Nothing against him but I really thought this was our time to restock our offensive cupboard and potentially get a star. I was wanted Grigorenko badly and at pick 8 (even despite his shortcomings) his talent was well worth the risk.
Grigorenko is one of the forwards that I would've wanted. After the trade was announced, I kept thinking about everything that I read about Filip Forsberg before the draft and was elated, we didn't pick him. I admit that the Pouliot selection was sort of a reach, but it could end up being a great selection if his offensive game translates well in the NHL. I haven't been following his play on his junior team but when he was Morrow's defensive partner a few years ago, did those two have good enough chemistry that it makes this selection, an easier pill to swallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
More than happy with it and was before. Now there's no question it was the right thing to do and even if Staal hadn't forced Shero's hand, you can bet the CBA thing figured into his calculus. He knew that this year more than others "keeping him for one last Cup run before he leaves" was a risky proposition that might provide no value at all. And it looks like that's exactly where we're headed. Meantime Dumoulin looking really good in WBS / like a very solid pick up that can pay immediate dividends for us if someone gets hurt or is moved / waived.

Trust the Ray.
Good to hear about Dumoulin. I don't know a whole lot about him, is he a physical shut down defenseman?

if AHL Live wasn't so overpriced to watch all the teams, I would've ordered that and tried to watch some Penguins games by now.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Great trade, bad pick.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
I think I would have taken Trouba, not that Pouliot is a bad choice, but his size scares me a bit. He's putting on mass, though, which is a great sign.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Great trade, bad pick.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I don't always appreciate your tone in discussions (not that you need my approval), but this was a very amusing and appropriate response. Well done

Old
12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

For those who wanted Grigorenko, could you really see any future with the Pens for him? The guy is a pure center, and a pure Top-6 one at that. We are still set in that position for a long time with Sid and Geno, so there would literally be no room for him on the roster.

Now if you want to argue that he was BPA at that point, and that the Pens could've flipped him for a promising wing prospect to a team needing a center prospee, then I could see your point, but if you're not...

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't always appreciate your tone in discussions (not that you need my approval), but this was a very amusing and appropriate response. Well done
It's ok, you are forgiven.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:53 PM
gopens66

Quote:
He is Mr. Jiggyfly, and no, he doesn't need your approval. He is (in the world of HF) a constant, like the law of gravity (If you believe in gravity).

On the Penguins board he is the closest thing we have to the Alpha and Omega. You short timers need to know your place.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
For those who wanted Grigorenko, could you really see any future with the Pens for him? The guy is a pure center, and a pure Top-6 one at that. We are still set in that position for a long time with Sid and Geno, so there would literally be no room for him on the roster.

Now if you want to argue that he was BPA at that point, and that the Pens could've flipped him for a promising wing prospect to a team needing a center prospee, then I could see your point, but if you're not...
At the time, I did think Grigorenko was BPA and probably still do. Did I see any future with the Pens for him? Maybe. That's like asking if I see a future with Pouliot since we have all these defensemen in front of him. Who really knows what's going to happen? Grigorenko could bust. Malkin could leave for Detroit. Crosby could have a career-ending injury. I'm obviously exaggerating to make my point but since when is having too many quality centermen a problem? At worst, we flip one of them to feel another need when the time comes.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
penguins2946*

If we could redo that pick, I'd definitely pick either Forsberg or Trouba. The more and more the season goes on, the less and less I'm feeling good about Pouliot. I don't know how confident I am of defenders out of the WHL in a whole right now. Too offensive of a style in that league. That's why you see players that are undrafted scoring 2 points per game. That is why I love the OHL the best, it is the strongest league of the 3. In my opinion, Harrington and Maatta are better than Pouliot and Morrow.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

I think people are being way too hard on Pouliot and that's coming from someone who absolutely despised the pick at the time. He's not exactly underpeforming at over a PPG. Plus, I have heard from others that he's developing a more well-rounded game.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I don't know how confident I am of defenders out of the WHL in a whole right now. Too offensive of a style in that league.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
As in, I'd rather pick a defender out of the OHL than the WHL. Of what I've seen, most defenders in the WHL are farther behind defensively than the defenders of the OHL. Just my opinion though. There's a reason that most games have about 8 or 9 goals scored in the WHL while most OHL games don't go above 6 or 7.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote