HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Oulette, Harrington, Hamilton and Rielly all have spots guaranteed on that roster. There isn't any surprise there. It's hard to tell who will get the last 3 spots, it will probably come down to Murphy, Pouliot, Reinhart and Dumba. Dumba will probably make it, since he is a rock. Reinhart is a better 2-way player than either Murphy or Pouliot, so he will probably make it. And Murphy will make it because his coach is picking the team. It's a shame, but all hockey is politics. I think the most likely person that Pouliot will have to beat out is Reinhart. If I got to chose, I'd make these the pairs:

Harrington-Hamilton
Rielly-Oulette
Dumba-Reinhart
Pouliot

That's what I'd do, but since Murphy's coach is the coach, he will make it.
Apparently Dumba has been crap, and Spott isn't a huge fan of him.

The bottom pairing is looking like,

Reinhart-Murphy
ex. Corrado

Though like I said, with the way Pouliot has been playing at camp, if Spott weren't Murphy's coach, I'd say it'd shake out like,

Reinhart-Corrado
ex. Pouliot.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's 29%. Yeah I am pleased with his point production. Unfortunately, I haven't actually caught much of his play.
ya thats good and its only his rookie season. i saw him play he has great vision..

Old
12-12-2012, 05:37 PM
deakka

Steady game by Pouliot. He could have been a little more involved offensively i thought. But at least he didnt hurt his chances like Dumba did.

And as others have said, i also think hes outplayed Murphy, neither have been creating a lot of offense but Murphy are looking really weak in the defensive end. Murphys coach picking the team makes it almost impossible for Pouliot to make it over Murphy

Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 PM
penguins2946*

1st round of cuts tonight. I think Pouliot played too well to be sent home already. I don't think he will be making it though, even though he should.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Never been a fan of Dumba. Every time I've seen him, he looks ... all over the place. I don't know. I question his overall hockey sense and awareness. He reminds me of Dion Phaneuf, but without Phaneuf's size.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
BHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Never been a fan of Dumba. Every time I've seen him, he looks ... all over the place. I don't know. I question his overall hockey sense and awareness. He reminds me of Dion Phaneuf, but without Phaneuf's size.
I've heard/read comparisons to Subban and Jack Johnson. Depending on who you talk to, those can either be compliments or criticisms - especially with the latter.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Get To Our Game

vCash: 884
Pouliot cut from WJC camp.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
penguins2946*

Pouliot cut. Kinda surprised it happened already. Monahan got cut also (36 points in 24 games in OHL). I see a rigged team

Old
12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part

Too bad about Pouliot, but he had an uphill battle this year with so many returning players/more highly-touted defensemen. He'll make it next year.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM

I almost want to say "good". Let him make it next year and continue up the prospect ladder a little at a time. He's having a great year in juniors on a stacked team. I'm happy with him doing well at that level right now.

I'm interested in seeing how he acts going back to juniors. We'll see if he's a moper and lets stupid things upset him.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Sivek

Some rare mid-week college action in December.

Yale beat UMass 4-2 and Agostino had 2 assists. 15 pts (6-9) through 12 games this year. Tied for team lead in scoring.

UMass-Lowell beat Harvard 5-0. Wilson scored a goal. He's been on a tear lately. Had 1 pt through 8 games but is now on a 6-game pt streak, with 11 pts during that span. Leads the team with 12 pts (3-9) through 14 games.

Most teams are entering an extended break so things are going to be quiet for the NCAA guys after this weekend, save for Bluegers at the WJC.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Dangles78

vCash: 814
Quote:
Pouliot cut. Kinda surprised it happened already. Monahan got cut also (36 points in 24 games in OHL). I see a rigged team
Rigged? One of Canada's strongest position is center....

Monahan is a great player and should make the team next year

Old
12-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Sucks about Pouliot, especially since it sounds like he had a pretty solid couple of games the past two days, while guys like Murphy and Dumba were pretty crappy.

I think this almost guarantees that Spott wants Murphy as the 7th defenseman, with the 6th spot (I'd say Reinhart's got the 5th) going to a more defensive minded guy.

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Oullet
Reinhart - ?
?

I wonder if Pouliot being LH also played a minor part. The team seems heavy on LH shots, with only Hamilton being a lock that shoots right.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:43 AM
deakka

It was mostly a numbers game/politics. Pouliot played better than some of the other guys for sure (Dumba and Murphy). But as i stated earlier, while he played a solid game, he didt stand out offensively. And the only chance he was making the team were as an offensive defenseman, not a quite 2-way typ, they have others who play that role better.

Dumba and Murphy probably gets to stay cause the coach have coached/seen them a lot more. So they get the benefit of the doubt threatment and get 1 last game to show they wants to be there. I bet they judge players on more than 2 scrimmage games

Old
12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

When are the final cuts made from the teams rosters?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Tonight apparently for Canada. No clue for Russia re: Zlobin.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
penguins2946*

Let's say the season gets canceled and the draft is decided by a lottery again, and the Pens win (I'd poop myself). Who would you pick with the 1st overall pick? The obvious choice would be MacKinnon, as long as he is comfortable playing wing. That also begs the other question, would you pick the BPA or pick based on needs? Just curious. Personally, I'd go with Barkov. The kid is big, and he has been playing pro hockey in Finland for 2 years. Oh yeah, he turned 17 like 2 months ago. There aren't many draft-eligible prospects playing in pro leagues, most are in junior leagues. He has an excellent 2-way game and is leading his team in scoring.

And who wouldn't love a guy with this helmet?

Last edited by penguins2946*: 12-13-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

You go BDA, obviously.

Bonus points if he happens to be American or plays for London or Portland.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Let's say the season gets canceled and the draft is decided by a lottery again, and the Pens win (I'd poop myself). Who would you pick with the 1st overall pick? The obvious choice would be MacKinnon, as long as he is comfortable playing wing. That also begs the other question, would you pick the BPA or pick based on needs? Just curious. Personally, I'd go with Barkov. The kid is big, and he has been playing pro hockey in Finland for 2 years. Oh yeah, he turned 17 like 2 months ago. There aren't many draft-eligible prospects playing in pro leagues, most are in junior leagues. He has an excellent 2-way game and is leading his team in scoring.
BPA, every single time without question.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
BPA, every single time without question.
This isn't football where you draft for immediate help. You draft in hockey based on potential. At least that is what I'd do. What if the best player available has already peaked? Obviously, there are some cases where BPA is the best choice, but not every time.

The good thing about Barkov is that he already is very good and has good potential. I really think he could go before Mac, he's that good.

Last edited by penguins2946*: 12-13-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

For the Pens -- Mackinnon could play wing though. Barkov is more of a pure center. He'd be a 3C and you'd trade Sutter or something for Top-6 wing help or move him to the wing. Mackinnon could Play Top-6 wing and then slot into center for Sid or Geno whenever need be. But it's not happening obviously.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
You go BDA, obviously.

Every variation of this joke still makes me laugh, but this one especially so.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
For the Pens -- Mackinnon could play wing though. Barkov is more of a pure center. He'd be a 3C and you'd trade Sutter or something for Top-6 wing help or move him to the wing. Mackinnon could Play Top-6 wing and then slot into center for Sid or Geno whenever need be. But it's not happening obviously.
I've heard comparisons to Datsyuk for Barkov. He won't be the 3C. I think I'd honestly take Mackinnon, Barkov seems to be the perfect mold for a center, but neither Malkin nor Sid would want to move to the wing. As you said, Mackinnon could play both, and if Crosby or Malkin get hurt for an extended period of time, Mac can easily slide into that line as a center. I wish they would have done that with Geno, but I am fine with him being the 2C (or 1C, whichever way you look at it).

And when you say "but that's not happening", that isn't true at all. We have a chance, just like every team. We have the same odds as any other teams that will only have 1 ball (or however they will do the lottery next time).

Old
12-13-2012, 06:00 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
You go BDA, obviously.

Especially if he is a puck moving D. Pens seem to love North American, puck-moving D that play for either the Knights or Winterhawks.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Every variation of this joke still makes me laugh, but this one especially so.
It's just "convenient" and "comfortable" that they happen to farm players from the same organizations that they've already drafted from. As is their proclivity for American skaters.

It isn't at all lazy or trying to be overly clever, of course. That's just the way things shake out. This club has a very strict "best player available" draft philosophy. We know this is true because they've said so.

Closed Thread