GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Rask has a lot of upside. I wouldn't throw him under the bus yet.
ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is throwing Rask under the bus. Pointing out that what TIm Thomas did is unreasonable to expect of any goaltender, including Tim Thomas, does not involve calling Tuukka Rask anything other than a very good goaltender.

The issue here is that people aren't drawing a distinction. So here it is in plain English.

Tuukka Rask is a very good goaltender.

Tim Thomas, over the course of the 2011-2012 regular season and playoffs, went from "a very good goaltender" to a Hall of Fame caliber goaltender. The performance he put up in that year could put him in the Hall almost entirely on its own merits.

Do you know what the records he set mean? They mean that there has literally never been, in the 100+ years of professional hockey, a goaltender who EVER did all the things in one regular season and playoffs at the highest level of their sport that Tim Thomas has done in the 2010-2011 season. Not Brodeur, not Roy, not Hasek, not any of the modern greats, and probably not any of the old era greats.

Let me stress that. No one has ever risen to quite the level Tim Thomas did in the Cup year.

It need not be said, I think, that Tuukka Rask could continue to be a very good goaltender, might even win a Cup, while never having the kind of year Tim Thomas had in the Cup year. And the very legitimate concern is, without a goalie doing what Tim Thomas did, what are our real chances of actually winning another Cup?

Last edited by Dojji*: 12-11-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:34 AM
BklyNBruiN

You guys still talking about Tim Thomas. Forrrrwaaard Oorah!!

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is throwing Rask under the bus. Pointing out that what TIm Thomas did is unreasonable to expect of any goaltender, including Tim Thomas, does not involve calling Tuukka Rask anything other than a very good goaltender.

The issue here is that people aren't drawing a distinction. So here it is in plain English.

Tim Thomas, over the course of the 2011-2012 regular season and playoffs, went from "a very good goaltender" to a Hall of Fame caliber goaltender. The performance he put up in that year could put him in the Hall almost entirely on its own merits.

Do you know what the records he set mean? They mean that there has literally never been, in the 100+ years of professional hockey, a goaltender who EVER did all the things in one regular season and playoffs at the highest level of their sport that Tim Thomas has done in the 2010-2011 season. Not Brodeur, not Roy, not Hasek, not any of the modern greats, and probably not any of the old era greats.

Let me stress that. No one has ever risen to quite the level Tim Thomas did in the Cup year.

It need not be said, I think, that Tuukka Rask could continue to be a very good goaltender, might even win a Cup, while never having the kind of year Tim Thomas had in the Cup year. And the very legitimate concern is, without a goalie doing what Tim Thomas did, what are our real chances of actually winning another Cup?

Worst case Bergeron plays in net

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Ann couture is not welcome in my country
is she any relation to Haute?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:

Yes,you are right,TT's performance was otherworldly and not likely to be repeated anytime soon,but this B's team is solid and Rask is good enough to at the least give us a chance to compete for a Cup.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Timmy set that bar high, and even he, I suspect, could never reach that level again, problem now is, many will judge TR`s game based on Timmy`s out of this world performance during that memorable season, tough act to follow.

I`m a TR fan, and a huge "on ice" fan of Timmy, yet I still can`t shake my pessimism that he(Rask) can handle the #1 role, not just through the regular season, but more importantly, when it counts come playoff time. I`d love to have the chance to come on here and eat a pile of crow or have him increase my level of confidence in him with a great playoff performance whenever the circus starts again

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Timmy set that bar high, and even he, I suspect, could never reach that level again, problem now is, many will judge TR`s game based on Timmy`s out of this world performance during that memorable season, tough act to follow.

I`m a TR fan, and a huge "on ice" fan of Timmy, yet I still can`t shake my pessimism that he(Rask) can handle the #1 role, not just through the regular season, but more importantly, when it counts come playoff time. I`d love to have the chance to come on here and eat a pile of crow or have him increase my level of confidence in him with a great playoff performance whenever the circus starts again
While I know it was only one series, but Tuukka did outplay Ryan Miller in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I just thought I would throw out a little optimism about Rask amid the uncertainty.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
flannelman
Glen Metropolit!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
While I know it was only one series, but Tuukka did outplay Ryan Miller in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I just thought I would throw out a little optimism about Rask amid the uncertainty.
he has the ability, especially if the D are playing the way they're supposed to in the system. I think what made TT so great, was that when the D were lackadaisical in their own end and the neutral zone, he bailed them out and it wasn't just once or twice. There were many games that I can think of that it was TT who won the game.

I think Rask is very capable, but if he goes down with injury, that's when I get a bit nervous. I haven't watched Khudobin or Svedberg enough to know that they'll adequately fill the net.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Haha, he sure did, and although the disaster against the Flyers should be put on the entire team, and it was a few years ago when he was a younger, less mature player, I didn`t at all like signs of big time fatigue from Tuukka in that series as it dragged on.

It was his post to post movement, his struggles with regaining his net position after a shot etc....It`ll be interesting to see, in no way do I think he`ll be a huge concern in net, but I think if many of us go in with out of this world expectations forgetting that the kid has played no further than a 2nd round series, we may be disappointed if/when he let`s in a softie. You know what these boards can be like, and yes , I am a tough critic too, especially with our old buddy Krejci

Most don`t seem bothered by it, I worry about his health sustaining itself over a full season, hate to be a downer but.....

Old
12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
You guys still talking about Tim Thomas. Forrrrwaaard Oorah!!
Sorry, I didn't know Thomas had retired. WHen did that happen again?

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Regarding the moon landing...

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
he has the ability, especially if the D are playing the way they're supposed to in the system. I think what made TT so great, was that when the D were lackadaisical in their own end and the neutral zone, he bailed them out and it wasn't just once or twice. There were many games that I can think of that it was TT who won the game.

I think Rask is very capable, but if he goes down with injury, that's when I get a bit nervous. I haven't watched Khudobin or Svedberg enough to know that they'll adequately fill the net.
I love what I have seen from Khudobin and Svedberg so far, of course that is a grand total of 3 games. I saw Khudobin play once for Boston and once for Providence and Khudobin once for Providence. All 3 of those games they were very good, so while I am hoping they will turn out to be great back ups and even capable starters, I am not going to count on it.

I understand why some people are a little hesitant to put their faith in Rask right now, especially those who have been Bruins fans for a long time. I too remember the endless line of goaltenders who came through Boston and never got the job done. I can count on one hand the good goaltenders in between Thomas and Cheevers, well, it makes it tough to not worry about the goaltending.

I do have faith in Chiarelli and the Bruins went from having a bare goaltending cupboard to being stockd with young, talented prospects.

We do have a year of uncertainty coming up with the goaltending situation, but if I had to choose a young goaltender to give the starting position to that isn't already a #1 goaltender, Tuukka would be my #1 choice.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Haha, he sure did, and although the disaster against the Flyers should be put on the entire team, and it was a few years ago when he was a younger, less mature player, I didn`t at all like signs of big time fatigue from Tuukka in that series as it dragged on.

It was his post to post movement, his struggles with regaining his net position after a shot etc....It`ll be interesting to see, in no way do I think he`ll be a huge concern in net, but I think if many of us go in with out of this world expectations forgetting that the kid has played no further than a 2nd round series, we may be disappointed if/when he let`s in a softie. You know what these boards can be like, and yes , I am a tough critic too, especially with our old buddy Krejci

Most don`t seem bothered by it, I worry about his health sustaining itself over a full season, hate to be a downer but.....
I agree that I think Tuukka is going to have some people comparing him to 2011 Tim Thomas and that isn't fair to anyone. It would be like compairing Krejci to Gretzky because I really believe that what Thomas did in 2011 is equal to some of Gretzky's best years when he won every award. 2012 Tim Thomas was not as good as 2011 Tim Thomas, he was just a good #1 goaltender.

Tuukka may have to battle some unreal expectations but he may prove to be a great goaltender if his stats stay approximately what they have been over the last few years.

I like the way the Bruins have brought Rask along, only giving him the playing time he earned. We will see what happens, but I like the chances of Rask being one of the top 10 goaltenders in the league.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:

TT also had some hiccups in the post season before his legendary run. I am not suggesting Rask can duplicate TT's performance but Rask has shown me enough to be reasonably confident he has the potential to be a good playoff goalie.It didn't just happen for TT,Tim learned from his mistakes to become the goalie he became,let's hope Rask can do the same.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Jagged Ice

Khudobin is a great talent and a tandem with Rask is all you guys need. Thomas shot himself in the foot and the bum needs to go.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Thomas shot himself in the foot and the bum needs to go.
,said the guy bordering Colorado.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Jagged Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
,said the guy bordering Colorado.
Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Bodacious

The question Bruin's fans need to ask themselves is this:

Which goaltender is more likely to replicate the run that Thomas had 18 months ago:

- an almost 40 yr old Thomas in the twilight of his career

- his understudy who is approaching the peak years of his career.

Goalies tend to fall off rather dramatically as they approach 40, Roloson had an incredible run at 39 and was absolutely washed up at 40.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Regarding the moon landing...
**** was staged!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:28 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
The question Bruin's fans need to ask themselves is this:

Which goaltender is more likely to replicate the run that Thomas had 18 months ago:

- an almost 40 yr old Thomas in the twilight of his career

- his understudy who is approaching the peak years of his career.

Goalies tend to fall off rather dramatically as they approach 40, Roloson had an incredible run at 39 and was absolutely washed up at 40.
And then was one third period goal away from the Stanley Cup final at 41.

Whoops.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I agree that I think Tuukka is going to have some people comparing him to 2011 Tim Thomas and that isn't fair to anyone. It would be like compairing Krejci to Gretzky because I really believe that what Thomas did in 2011 is equal to some of Gretzky's best years when he won every award. 2012 Tim Thomas was not as good as 2011 Tim Thomas, he was just a good #1 goaltender.

Tuukka may have to battle some unreal expectations but he may prove to be a great goaltender if his stats stay approximately what they have been over the last few years.

I like the way the Bruins have brought Rask along, only giving him the playing time he earned. We will see what happens, but I like the chances of Rask being one of the top 10 goaltenders in the league.
Look at the chat here when Looch began year one, constant Neely references, twas crazy. I like the way they have brought him along too, my hope is he`s matured, and not just mentally, but physically as well is able to handle the grind of a long season and a march to the Cup

Of course, won`t be a "grind" this year if there is to be one

Old
12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
TT also had some hiccups in the post season before his legendary run. I am not suggesting Rask can duplicate TT's performance but Rask has shown me enough to be reasonably confident he has the potential to be a good playoff goalie.It didn't just happen for TT,Tim learned from his mistakes to become the goalie he became,let's hope Rask can do the same.
EVERY goalie let`s in softies, some of the concern I have with TR is that, in the past, he`s had a bit of a struggle to just shake that off whereas with Timmy, it appears like he had instant amnesia

Old
12-14-2012, 02:48 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
EVERY goalie let`s in softies, some of the concern I have with TR is that, in the past, he`s had a bit of a struggle to just shake that off whereas with Timmy, it appears like he had instant amnesia
Yes,you are correct.Tim was the most mentally tenacious goalie that I have ever seen and I certainly would feel much more confident if we had Tim on board but doesn't look like it will happen. Rask has certainly let in his share of softies but I think he does have the potential to be an elite goalie whether that potential is realized, who knows ???

Old
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
And then was one third period goal away from the Stanley Cup final at 41.

Whoops.
Yeah but he cheated so freaking much he would flick his mask off if Tampa's skaters were stuck in the zone and tired.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote