HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brendan Smith

Old
12-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Like I said, if this many people are whining about the Smith hype, they're really gonna hate Ouellet.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:17 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
He racked it up all in Colorado?

Hmm... Wonder why Detroit has 4 defenders with significant PP time in the playoffs then, including Quincey with 1:52.
The Wings all season had been using Hudler on the second pair on D. It really didn't work, and though Hudler was more effective than Stuart or Ericsson, he's much more productive up front (28 PP points in 2008-09). Babcock didn't seem to trust Kindl with, well, anything special teams related even though Kindl played well and showed significant offensive prowess. Smith likely would have played there had Holland put him on the roster. After the Quincey trade, Quincey played some PP and Hudler played up front, although Hudler sometimes still saw the point. In the playoffs, Quincey played the right point on the second unit while Hudler played with Filppula and a variable Franzen/Holmstrom up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Detroit has used forwards on the point in the past (though many sources say Zetterberg)
Whatever source you have that said this is completely erroneous and gets a -1 for credibility. Z does not and has never played the point for the Wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Hudler moved back to the point when Samuelsson left the first time. They have been the forward options. He also will play down low or as the person across from Datsyuk drifting to the middle, but he does not play the point. Eventually Jarnkrok will play that point role and we can all stop complaining about it because he is actually good at it.
Hudler also played the point in Grand Rapids and was completely dominant; that's why he was the "other" option. So slow down about Jarnkrok on the point.

You also forgot to mention Mr. Jason Williams. Harder shot than Sammy or Hudler, better skater than either... worst option of the three at the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
If smith was half as good as you all think - "not every prospect is D or Z lmfao" - they would have made room for him like LA did with Slava.
Because Detroit has a Jack Johnson to trade for a Jeff Carter? Who exactly? White? Quincey? Ericsson? Kindl? Are any of them as good or as young as Johnson? You forget that LA got a top-line two-way goal scoring center/winger for Johnson. They didn't "get rid of JMFJ" so much as "get Carter".

You don't just "get rid of" good young defensemen if you have another good young defenseman you want to play more. Not if it's a competition in the top four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
Detroit plays good enough team defense, roster is littered with two-way forwards, to let Smith go if it gets the Wings a forward like Bobby Ryan. Quite frankly, a player that the Red Wings need because Samuelsson is not the answer for a RH shot.

This misconception that Detroit's defense is going to be abysmal is for the birds. Not great yes, but it'll do the job. Losing Stuart hurt more than losing Lidstrom IMO.

I'd hate to see Tatar go, he's my favorite prospect, but I don't see why something couldn't be centered around Smith + Tatar + 1st for Bobby Ryan. Or Smith + Franzen + 1st.

Trade the surplus of forwards for draft picks.
Smith+Franzen+1st for Ryan? No. No no no. How about Detroit adds a second, and the 1st switches sides? That's more in line with reality.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Smith+Franzen+1st for Ryan? No. No no no. How about Detroit adds a second, and the 1st switches sides? That's more in line with reality.
Is this HTT3 on an alias? Smith/Franzen/1st for Ryan might be an overpayment, but what you're suggesting is just as bad.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:52 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Is this HTT3 on an alias? Smith/Franzen/1st for Ryan might be an overpayment, but what you're suggesting is just as bad.
Who is HTT3? I've been using this username on various Wings and hockey-related (and unrelated) websites since the mid 1990s.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
PavelBure10

Would Detroit do Edler, for Filpula and Smith?

PavelBure10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure10 View Post
Would Detroit do Edler, for Filpula and Smith?
Considering Edler is UFA at the end of the year, I think you'd find that Holland's not giving up his top prospect.

And I only omit mentioning Filppula because he's UFA at the end of the year as well.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Henkka

Swapping potential UFA's should be enough if both teams get their needs.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Swapping potential UFA's should be enough if both teams get their needs.
Really the only way I see Vancouver trading Edler is if they can't afford him.

And if they can't afford him, it's pretty unlikely they'll be able to afford Filppula.

Either way, that's a bad trade for Detroit unless Edler gets extended, and if he gets extended then it's a bad trade for Vancouver lol.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
It takes overpayment to get a need. Anaheim isn't going to just give away a 25 year old RH shot, who in all four of his full regular seasons, has 30+ goals.

Unless you think Samuelsson is going to pot 30+ goals which he's only done once. Hell, Franzen has only done it once, but he's lazy.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
It takes overpayment to get a need. Anaheim isn't going to just give away a 25 year old RH shot, who in all four of his full regular seasons, has 30+ goals.

Unless you think Samuelsson is going to pot 30+ goals which he's only done once. Hell, Franzen has only done it once, but he's lazy.
Ryan isn't a need. He's much more of a want. Our offense is fine.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Ryan isn't a need. He's much more of a want. Our offense is fine.
I don't see how a legitimate top six forward isn't a need for the Red Wings, it has been for the past couple years. See the 2011-2012 playoffs and Babcock asking for one every year they have been bounced out of the playoffs.

Unless you have Brunner penciled into the top six. While he's doing great in Europe with Zetterberg, and I'm excited to see what he can do here, I'm not going to hold my breath that he's going to come into the North American game and be a PPG player. He's not going to be able to cut to the middle like he can in Europe.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Jurky
Nightmare on Helm St

vCash: 77
Quote:
Unless you have Brunner penciled into the top six..
Babcock already said that Brunner is going to start the season in the Top-6

"Can he adjust and play the North American game? We’re going to give him every opportunity. He’ll be a top-six forward to start with us and see where he goes with us.''

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
I don't see how a legitimate top six forward isn't a need for the Red Wings, it has been for the past couple years. See the 2011-2012 playoffs and Babcock asking for one every year they have been bounced out of the playoffs.

Unless you have Brunner penciled into the top six. While he's doing great in Europe with Zetterberg, and I'm excited to see what he can do here, I'm not going to hold my breath that he's going to come into the North American game and be a PPG player. He's not going to be able to cut to the middle like he can in Europe.
It may be a need (Although I don't think it's nearly as dire as you do) but it's not nearly as necessary as a defensive boost right now.

We've got too many forwards as it is. Tatar should be in Detroit this year and wont be. If he gains a little weight, he could arguably be a top six guy.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Nyquist

Quote:

I don't think anyone expects Brunner to be a ppg player. If he puts up 50 or so points, I'll be happy. We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Filppula as the obvious top 6 six guys. Then there's Nyquist, Tatar, and Brunner who have all looked great. Bertuzzi can play top six if need be. Cleary needed surgery all of last year and now that he's had it he should bounce back. Samuelsson is averaging about .6 ppg so about 45-50 points which is fine for a second liner. I would love to have a goal scorer like Ryan with Datsyuk, but it's not an absolute need.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post

"Can he adjust and play the North American game? We’re going to give him every opportunity. He’ll be a top-six forward to start with us and see where he goes with us.''
Hopefully Nyquist will as well.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post

Quote:
Hopefully Nyquist will as well.
Top6 with Filppula injured:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Nyquist (at last season end, when Nyquist was on the roster, this was the most common combination that was used)

Cleary - Helm - Samuelsson
Miller/Mursak - Abdelkader - Tootoo
(Emmerton, Eaves)

When Filppula healthy then considering dropping Bertuzzi to lower lines.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
TatarTangle

The problem with Samuelsson, Cleary, and Bertuzzi is that they are too stale to be in the top six. Realistically the only one that should be on the team is Cleary and even he should be on his way out after his contract is up. Nyquist, Tatar, and Brunner do look good but none are at Bobby Ryan's level.

A trade like this isn't Ken Holland's MO so I guess it's all a moot point anyways

Old
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Wingsfan2965*

At this point if we even have a season Filppula should be ready by the time it starts. If he's not, it'll only be a week or two, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, a little too much faith in Cleary "Bouncing back". I can't remember a time when he was totally healthy. I wish they'd trade him and bring Tatar up, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
At this point if we even have a season Filppula should be ready by the time it starts. If he's not, it'll only be a week or two, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, a little too much faith in Cleary "Bouncing back". I can't remember a time when he was totally healthy. I wish they'd trade him and bring Tatar up, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.
It's fair to say he will do better than last year.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
It's fair to say he will do better than last year.
What's two steps up from crap?

Old
12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
What's two steps up from crap?
Better than what he was last year still.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Better than what he was last year still.
So he plays below average until he inevitably gets injured again, and then he's back to crap. Great.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
So he plays below average until he inevitably gets injured again, and then he's back to crap. Great.
He was averaging around 40 points even when missing 10 - 20 games. I wouldn't call that below average.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
He was averaging around 40 points even when missing 10 - 20 games. I wouldn't call that below average.
It is for a guy who's top five in ice time. It's also not worth letting Tatar sit in the minors for another year over.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
It is for a guy who's top five in ice time. It's also not worth letting Tatar sit in the minors for another year over.
Agreed on the Tatar part but you're acting like Cleary was terrible. He may have been fifth in ice time a couple years ago but he also had the second most goals and fourth most points. It's not like he underacchieved with his ice time.