HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  #476
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
NBA still has a massive problem, sorry AP, but your Lakers shouldn't have Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Gosal, etc. Same with Heat having Lebron, Bosh, Wade, or Celtics. The talent pool in the NBA is not very deep. The regular season isn't fun to watch at all, I mean hell, look at what the Spurs do. They tell their stars to go home and rest and basically give up a loss only to know they are going to make the playoffs, and the games don't matter much until you get to the playoffs!
Not sure what this has to do with the NHL Lockout. I'll just say that the way things "should be" is very subjective when talking about free agency. It's not my fault that there are players in all sports who demand to play for a very small handful of teams within their repective leagues.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
  #477
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Not sure what this has to do with the NHL Lockout. I'll just say that the way things "should be" is very subjective when talking about free agency. It's not my fault that there are players in all sports who demand to play for a very small handful of teams within their repective leagues.
What does your point about Mark Cuban's stance during the NBA lockout have anything to do with the NHL lockout?

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
  #478
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
Yeah it was random for him to say it but I thought the expletives were interesting.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
  #479
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
What does your point about Mark Cuban's stance during the NBA lockout have anything to do with the NHL lockout?
I was calling out Mark Cuban on his hypocrisy BS as it pertains to in his own words "listen to the other guy’s solutions" in CBA talk. Mark Cuban's ego is quite known to get to the best of him as demonstrated in the past during his ownership of the Mavs.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #480
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I was calling out Mark Cuban on his hypocrisy BS as it pertains to in his own words "listen to the other guy’s solutions" in CBA talk. Mark Cuban's ego is quite known to get to the best of him as demonstrated in the past during his ownership of the Mavs.
I'd prefer a Cuban over a Sarver as far as ownership of the Suns goes, someone that spends money and wants to win instead of saving money and doesn't give a **** about how the team does, only how big his wallet grows.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
  #481
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'd prefer a Cuban over a Sarver as far as ownership of the Suns goes, someone that spends money and wants to win instead of saving money and doesn't give a **** about how the team does, only how big his wallet grows.
I'm sure alot of people would but Mark Cuban has a major ego problem that does get him into trouble. Also it sounds like you are contradicting yourself some here as you want an onwer who wants to spend money to win but also brag that teams shouldn't be allowed have as deep of a talent pool like the Lakers and Heat have.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
  #482
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Whether you like Mark Cuban, his ego, or anything about him doesn't matter. What he said was absolutely true. It doesn't matter if he's a hypocrite, it's still true. If your opinions of him prevent you from comprehending what he said it's a real shame...and only leads to meaningless banter about him, instead of the real Issue which is each side refusing to listening to the other side.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
  #483
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
@DarrenDreger
Quote:
Doesn't sound like PA is willing to work with the NHL's 3 main issues. League responded by saying it won't budge. No progress. As you were.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
  #484
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
Here’s a CBA framework one NHL governor thinks could get a deal done

Quote:
-A nine-year CBA with a 7-year out for either side.
-A six-year contract limit with front-load/back-diving protection and 8-year limits for players who have been with a team for five years.
-Some simple buyout option as long as the buyouts were within the salary cap.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-a-deal-done/

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:27 PM
  #485
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Whether you like Mark Cuban, his ego, or anything about him doesn't matter. What he said was absolutely true. It doesn't matter if he's a hypocrite, it's still true. If your opinions of him prevent you from comprehending what he said it's a real shame...and only leads to meaningless banter about him, instead of the real Issue which is each side refusing to listening to the other side.
Expect he is making it sound like he would do things differently if he was an owner of an NHL team when the truth is he would be doing the same thing he is accusing both sides of doing here like he did as owner of the Mavs during the last CBA. If he is really telling the truth then instead of accusing both the players and the league for doing the same thing he has done, he would say "I agree with what the NHL is doing here and screw what the players want overall". Mark Cuban is no Mr. Goodie Two Shoes as he tried to make himself out to be with his thoughts about this mess.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  #486
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,051
vCash: 500
I like the idea of allowing the home team to offer the longest contract. Hockey players are all about extra years and security. It gives even small market teams a more realistic shot at keeping their stars. Of course, that means you have to draft well...

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
  #487
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Here’s a CBA framework one NHL governor thinks could get a deal done



http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-a-deal-done/
I'd say that would effectively smooth out those three hills for dying Bettman mentioned.

Also, I understand that the players actually proposed 8yr limits across the board, with some stupid loopholes. 6yrs might be too much in the NHL's direction, especially with the elimination of the stupid loopholes. Why not just call it seven across the board, in the simplest way possible. Nothing over seven, no nonsense.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
  #488
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I like the idea of allowing the home team to offer the longest contract. Hockey players are all about extra years and security. It gives even small market teams a more realistic shot at keeping their stars. Of course, that means you have to draft well...
I like that the sound of that as well. Though, when you're talking 7 years one more year doesn't really provide that much more security. Especially considering how much they make. Would be better if it was a 6 year limit and a 8 year home max. It doesn't really matter to me just get there ***** back on the ice.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
  #489
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Just cancel the damn season and be done with it already. A 47 game season would be a joke anyway.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
  #490
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Just cancel the damn season and be done with it already. A 47 game season would be a joke anyway.
If they can somehow squeeze 54 games in, I'd consider that at least somewhat credible in terms of a season. It's two thirds.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
  #491
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
Report: NHLPA allows players to vote on disclaimer of interest

Quote:
As reported by TSN.ca, the executive board of the players’ association voted Thursday to let members vote on whether to give the board authorization to file a disclaimer of interest.

If the union does ultimately dissolve (it’s possible this is just a bluff), the NHL has said it would likely lead to the end of the season (also possibly a bluff).
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...r-of-interest/

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:03 PM
  #492
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,877
vCash: 500
Haha. They can vote on dissolving the union but they aren't allowed to vote on the nhl proposal?

Idiots. They deserve what they get.

I now officially vote for replacement players. I wish it were legal to levy a lifetime ban on any player unwilling to sign today.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
  #493
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
It's idiotic but not surprising at all. The only ones concerned with 8+ year contracts, front-loading, back-fading & contract cap are big money players, who have a strong influence on negotiations. The majority of NHL players, guys who sign 3 year contracts at less than $ 3M per season, aren't going to be affected much by the new CBA and represent the vast majority of union members.

God forbid someone lets those guys make a living and try to make fans happy.

Nobody should be surprised at owner trying to get the best deal they can. It's the nature of the business. But for what - 50? 80? rich players to have a tantrum and require benefits that NO OTHER LEAGUE IN THE WORLD would give up and destroy all the credibility the league's built over the past 7 years is just disgusting.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
  #494
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
It's idiotic but not surprising at all. The only ones concerned with 8+ year contracts, front-loading, back-fading & contract cap are big money players, who have a strong influence on negotiations. The majority of NHL players, guys who sign 3 year contracts at less than $ 3M per season, aren't going to be affected much by the new CBA and represent the vast majority of union members.

God forbid someone lets those guys make a living and try to make fans happy.

Nobody should be surprised at owner trying to get the best deal they can. It's the nature of the business. But for what - 50? 80? rich players to have a tantrum and require benefits that NO OTHER LEAGUE IN THE WORLD would give up and destroy all the credibility the league's built over the past 7 years is just disgusting.
Pretty much. The league should table a new fifteen year CBA offer with the players only getting 40% HRR, 5yr max contracts with zero variance, no arbitration, five year ELCs and no UFA until age 29. Any player willing to start camp in one week can be grandfathered in with their current contracts unchanged, but any players unwilling to report will be banned from the NHL for life. Probably illegal, but pretty darn fair in my opinion.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
  #495
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 500
The NHL should just call the bluff on the decert. Even if the PA got past the initial hearings (and I don't think they would) they'd be tied up in court for the next two years. Are the players willing to sit out for two years just to see if maybe they can make their contracts enforceable again (if their contract lasts that long)? Then at the end of the day you have no guaranteed percentage of HHR. Zero. Zip. No guaranteed pensions, etc. No union to help you going forward. etc, et al.
Does anyone really believe this is anything other than a negotiating ploy?

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
  #496
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Haha. They can vote on dissolving the union but they aren't allowed to vote on the nhl proposal?

Idiots. They deserve what they get.
Remember the Alfredsson quote? He was terrified that past NHL proposals would come to a vote, as they were likely to garner a significant share of votes if not pass outright. But those proposals didn't jive with what a select portion of the union wanted, so they did everything to prevent a vote. Supposedly nothing can come to a vote unless the Fehrs allow it. There's no end-around for players that just want to get back on the ice. There's no mandatory process that forces the Fehrs to put a proposal to a vote.

*********.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
  #497
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,971
vCash: 500
I've given up. The hockey on the ice with a shortened season isn't going to be that good anyways, as I'm assuming it will be like the NBA did, and have to crunch games closer together?

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:07 PM
  #498
letbob
Registered User
 
letbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
This whole situation is such crap for the communities these NHL teams represent and the fans that still remain after all the bull s*** is over.

The US hockey market is, for the most part, not entrenched enough for this to happen as often as it does. It will have a very hard time tolerating the damage done by this carnival we have all been subjected to.

The Coyotes might win the "most screwed" award given the excitement that could have been generated this season from the playoff run last year and the fact that the Suns and Cardinals are nothing short of pathetic this winter.

letbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
  #499
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!
 
GiveAFlyingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gila River Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 555
I'm thinking that with a compressed schedule, injuries would become an even bigger factor. A team would need to get out of the gate fast, which we didn't do last season. After 50 games last year was right before the February winning streak and we were in 12th place I think.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:33 PM
  #500
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,063
vCash: 500
Everything now is in the hands of the courts and the NLRB.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

NHLPA response to filings by the NHL to the Federal court and NLRB.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.