HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVIII: Don't worry about the lockout. Let me worry about blank.

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Ari91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Yes. I got news this morning that I'm cancer free so now's the time for me to be happy. No more negativity for me.
Congratulations! That's even better than a new CBA

Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The pure comedy is when a deal finally gets done, it's going to come out of nowhere. There'll be a few days of dead news, maybe even some more public bickering then whoa, look at what we have here! That is if we do have a deal and Fehr doesn't take this into court which I still fear might be his endgame.
Not only that but it will be the exact same deal that everyone on here predicted during the summer.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

My optimisim has hit an all-time low... I've become the laughing-stock around the office....and I'm beginning to pool my money into a "What Was I Thinking Betting All My Co-Workers Neither Side Is Going to Be Crazy Enough to Lose Another Season" fund.

Last edited by Astoria: 12-13-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Forgot a word...
Old
12-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm going to infract them.

I predict we have hockey by Christmas. This process HAS to be winding down. I should note that I'm only wrong when I'm not right.
Hockey by Christmas...you mean a new CBA right? Because games are cancelled through December 30.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:37 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Not only that but it will be the exact same deal that everyone on here predicted during the summer.
This is what really blows my mind. All this time and money just to end up with a deal that has already been offered or even worse. The PA has lost their minds

Old
12-13-2012, 04:37 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm going to infract them.

I predict we have hockey by Christmas. This process HAS to be winding down. I should note that I'm only wrong when I'm not right.
I agree with you 100%. Unless of course if you're wrong. In which case I never heard of you before and this post will automatically self destruct.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Hockey by Christmas...you mean a new CBA right? Because games are cancelled through December 30.
That is indeed what I mean. A CBA is hockey to me, at this point.

12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Well I don't know if we had contract limits as a big deal back then, I know I thought contract limits were just something the NHL was holding out to get 50-50 but it turned out to be a lot more important (apparently) to them than that.

But yeah they're going to take another month to get the deal everyone figured it would be in the middle of last week.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
This whole mediation crap was an epic waste of time by Fehr and he knew it. He has another month of posturing before he thinks about getting serious. And don't expect a vote by the PA. Fehr will do his best to avoid that instead he will waste another months worth of pay checks for the players while getting nothing in return.
Everyone knew that it was just a time wasting tactic by Fehr and the PA. That's why Bettman rebuffed it when asked during the player-owner meetings. He's just doing it to make it look good when he decides to decertify.

Every day that goes past I lose more optimism of seeing hockey this season.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
This is what really blows my mind. All this time and money just to end up with a deal that has already been offered or even worse. The PA has lost their minds
That's part of why I'm not yet convinced they'll come to their senses and deal now. I still think Fehr's planning on a court fight, he's more comfortable in a courtroom than negotiating anyway.

The less cynical viewpoint is I think he feels there'll be immense pressure on the league (especially Bettman) to do a deal the closer to the deadline it gets. They can talk tough but they have to know the damage they'd do by shutting down another year, and Bettman himself may be negotiating for his job.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I can't believe I am finally saying this but I just can't tolerate this back and forth BS anymore. Cancel the ****en season!!! I don't want to read, talk or hear about this anymore. They all deserve to have a miserable holiday, the players can take a stick up the ass and the owners can watch their industry crash and burn.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. And both of these sides think that they're the game of hockey.

You know who's the game of hockey? The people who pay to play the game because it's fun. Not selfish owners and selfish players who are fighting for dimes they don't deserve.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Krishna

Quote:
If a deal is struck soon, the season could start about then. Just because the games under the old schedule are cancelled through December 30th, that doesn't mean a new schedule can't start until then

Old
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Christmas shopping is hard, it's a full contact sport man, good thing I know how to use my elbows.
ahaha, i have no idea what that means

Old
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
LetangInTheSO

Here's my thinking about this stalemate.

The players - collectively - unarguably have more to lose at this point. However, Gary Bettman has more to lose - personally - than Donald Fehr does. At this point, Fehr is essentially putting Bettman to a simple test: is he [Bettman] willing to cancel a season over the outstanding issues? I will say this much: if Gary Bettman does cancel the season, he will lose the PR war and he will lose his job. No commissioner will get a pass for canceling a season (his second in 8 years) over contract lengths. Imagine Bettman trying to justify that in a press conference.

With that said, this tactic on behalf of Fehr requires a lot of cojones. If - for whatever reason - Bettman calls the bluff, then the players will lose a year of salary fighting for issues that are of very little consequence. As a fan, I am insulted by Fehr's tactics. With that said, at this juncture I feel like I have been abused by the league so many times that I'm "numbed"...the fact that the players are holding me hostage this time doesn't anger me as much as it might have in the past.

Frankly, at this juncture, I look forward to them getting the game back on the ice (an inevitability) so that I can watch the games, but I will derive a sick satisfaction from not renewing my Center Ice subscription, not buying merchandise and not going to games, but rather watching games on my computer (streaming on websites that shall not be named).

Old
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...60324455501824

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Players have executive board conference call this evening to update things

They sure have a lot of conference calls for a process that is constantly not progressing.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

They sure have a lot of conference calls for a process that is constantly not progressing.
They're probably organizing Secret Santa.

Old
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That's part of why I'm not yet convinced they'll come to their senses and deal now. I still think Fehr's planning on a court fight, he's more comfortable in a courtroom than negotiating anyway.

The less cynical viewpoint is I think he feels there'll be immense pressure on the league (especially Bettman) to do a deal the closer to the deadline it gets. They can talk tough but they have to know the damage they'd do by shutting down another year, and Bettman himself may be negotiating for his job.
I honestly don't see it going that far. I don't think the NHl players have an appetite for that. I see them all deciding to play rather then spend the next 6months to a year in court.

Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:

"We met with the mediators all day today. We just gossiped about how Daly is bald and Bettman is short. Good laughs were had. Oh, and for lunch we all had a club sandwich and fries at the hotel restaurant. It was good. Any questions?"

Old
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Teamwork

Maybe the deal is going to be signed when we least expect it

Old
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:

What are they going to say to update their players? We had a few meetings, or did we?. Nothing happened, enjoy your Christmas.

I'm just waiting for the first #lockout problem tweet.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Here's my thinking about this stalemate.

The players - collectively - unarguably have more to lose at this point. However, Gary Bettman has more to lose - personally - than Donald Fehr does. At this point, Fehr is essentially putting Bettman to a simple test: is he [Bettman] willing to cancel a season over the outstanding issues? I will say this much: if Gary Bettman does cancel the season, he will lose the PR war and he will lose his job. No commissioner will get a pass for canceling a season (his second in 8 years) over contract lengths. Imagine Bettman trying to justify that in a press conference.

With that said, this tactic on behalf of Fehr requires a lot of cojones. If - for whatever reason - Bettman calls the bluff, then the players will lose a year of salary fighting for issues that are of very little consequence. As a fan, I am insulted by Fehr's tactics. With that said, at this juncture I feel like I have been abused by the league so many times that I'm "numbed"...the fact that the players are holding me hostage this time doesn't anger me as much as it might have in the past.

Frankly, at this juncture, I look forward to them getting the game back on the ice (an inevitability) so that I can watch the games, but I will derive a sick satisfaction from not renewing my Center Ice subscription, not buying merchandise and not going to games, but rather watching games on my computer (streaming on websites that shall not be named).
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If a deal is struck soon, the season could start about then. Just because the games under the old schedule are cancelled through December 30th, that doesn't mean a new schedule can't start until then
Plus if a deal gets signed there'll be so much action in the week and a half before the season or however long it is. RFA's (and a handful of UFA's) have to be signed, trades have to be consummated...it'll be like one extended trade deadline day with all the movement.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.
Possible. It's also possible that the owners will give him the go ahead to cancel the season, regret that decision later on and make Bettman the fall man. Of course this is wild speculation. I guess I'm predicating my thinking on the thought of Gary Bettman holding a press conference where he is put on the spot to justify the cancelation of an entire season (his 2nd) based on holding out for 5-year contract limits. That thought is so absurd that I would see him being crucified by media and fans alike. I understand (as I hope is evident from my post history) that the players have not played nice in this negotiation, but ultimately the decision to cancel the season is the owners' decision alone. If they really do proceed and cancel the season over these outstanding issues, I see public opinion swingin wildly against them...

Old
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
What are they going to say to update their players? We had a few meetings, or did we?. Nothing happened, enjoy your Christmas.

I'm just waiting for the first #lockout problem tweet.
It's probably going to be the "OK Boys! We're going to make this situation even dumber and weirder and worse than anyone could possibly predict or imagine! See you in court Betts! Woo Hoo!"

And then we have the tweets.

Closed Thread