HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Seeing as we lost a year of Poni and Olli, do we for see true north resigning them for another go?
Well Olli is on a two year contract.

I'd like to see them resign Antro and Poni though yes.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:13 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

If the full season is lost TNSE will have to turn their focus to their prospects.

Scheifele, Klingberg, Telegin and Cormier will be knocking on the door next year. Antropov, Poni and Wellwood are all pending free agents.

Gotta figure who is brought back will largely be based on how those youngsters perform.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

I wouldn't want Antro back unless he takes a paycut. I'd take him on the third line, he's big and he knows how to create plays. He's also apparently the only person Burmistrov listens to so that's another reason to keep him around I guess.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I wouldn't want Antro back unless he takes a paycut. I'd take him on the third line, he's big and he knows how to create plays. He's also apparently the only person Burmistrov listens to so that's another reason to keep him around I guess.
I still think that is BS

Old
12-13-2012, 06:04 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

On the... tough call... you need the vets but you would have to make some room for some guys knocking on the door but also you want your youth to fight and earn their spots...

If it came down to Wellwood vs Ponikarovsky vs Antropov to not re-sign, it be a tough call...
I might choose Antropov... but not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I still think that is BS
Ya, too much love going for Burmi from IceCaps players...
Also, Burmi hanging out with Bogosian also makes me skeptical about that...

I agree... BS...

EDIT woah just noticed my first sentence is missing a bit

Last edited by garret9: 12-14-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 07:02 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
I'd resign both Antro and Poni - the deal that Poni is on this year seems like a reasonable number for either of them. As third line team mates, that could form the basis of a very effective "tough minutes" line that can also score.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:44 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Earlier we were all talking about goalies and regression/development earlier with Pavelec, Luongo and others.
On a related note, here's a neat study on goaltender development:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/10/ano...rrect-for-bias

Old
12-14-2012, 08:34 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Earlier we were all talking about goalies and regression/development earlier with Pavelec, Luongo and others.
On a related note, here's a neat study on goaltender development:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/10/ano...rrect-for-bias
Those numbers don't really support the "Pavelec is young" argument.

Hopefully he can buck this trend.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Honestly, I have no problem with Pavelec as a goalie, and as a guy who plays goal, I always like to cheer for and support the local goalie. Auld and Legace on the moose, Pavelec now. However, I'm not sold on him just yet. He needs to take another big step in his development in the next year or so in order to become a legit solid starter in the NHL. Otherwise, and as of right now, I wouldn't be too upset if we were to pursue other options or bring in other young competition such as Schneider or Bernier.

On another note... Assuming we keep all the roster/expiring contracts we have together for when play resumes, is there any Dmen out there we could add to our top four that wouldn't cost a lot of value (to bump Hainsey to the third pairing) that anyone would like to add?

Im thinking the Devils might offload Volchenkov or Tallinder for a midrange prospect/pick like Klingberg + a 4th.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
If the full season is lost TNSE will have to turn their focus to their prospects.

Scheifele, Klingberg, Telegin and Cormier will be knocking on the door next year. Antropov, Poni and Wellwood are all pending free agents.

Gotta figure who is brought back will largely be based on how those youngsters perform.
I'm actually looking forward to when the Jets upgrade the spots held by Antro and Wellwood, either via trade or FA. Basically, get a bit younger and faster.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Honestly, I have no problem with Pavelec as a goalie, and as a guy who plays goal, I always like to cheer for and support the local goalie. Auld and Legace on the moose, Pavelec now. However, I'm not sold on him just yet. He needs to take another big step in his development in the next year or so in order to become a legit solid starter in the NHL. Otherwise, and as of right now, I wouldn't be too upset if we were to pursue other options or bring in other young competition such as Schneider or Bernier.

On another note... Assuming we keep all the roster/expiring contracts we have together for when play resumes, is there any Dmen out there we could add to our top four that wouldn't cost a lot of value (to bump Hainsey to the third pairing) that anyone would like to add?

Im thinking the Devils might offload Volchenkov or Tallinder for a midrange prospect/pick like Klingberg + a 4th.
Tallinder is an upgrade in shutdown ability on Hainsey but is a bit older (slightly 33 to 31). Volchenkov is between the two in ability but the youngest of the 3 (30)

NameAgeRelQoCOZSRelCorsiPTS/60Salary
Hainsey310.55246.9-7.40.503.750mil
Tallidner330.70146.83.10.443.500mil
Volchenkov300.23847.61.00.584.250mil
Tanev220.37844.15.90.310.900mil

I have my heart set on Tanev... but the Canucks would never let him go...

Last edited by garret9: 12-16-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old
12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Daddy Longlegs

Anyone think that Bernier is acquirable with Hainsey + Postma + 2nd round pick? I think that's somewhat realistic/fair. I really like Pavelec and all, but we really have nothing else worthy in the cupboard. I suggest Hainsey and Postma as they are expendable to us, and the only weakish spot on L.A. Is their depth on defense. If the kings want a goalie in return, switch Postma with Pasquale.

Feel free to rip into me if I'm way off base.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Anyone think that Bernier is acquirable with Hainsey + Postma + 2nd round pick? I think that's somewhat realistic/fair. I really like Pavelec and all, but we really have nothing else worthy in the cupboard. I suggest Hainsey and Postma as they are expendable to us, and the only weakish spot on L.A. Is their depth on defense. If the kings want a goalie in return, switch Postma with Pasquale.

I love Bernier, but that is not our biggest need. Pavs will be fine and I think we need to improve the other areas first.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:

Just one Q: who do you see replacing Hainsey in the short term? I don't believe he's currently replacable with someone that's in the system.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Exact opposite actually...LA has much much too much depth on their blueline. They have 6 defensemen better than Hainsey (make no mistake, all 6 defenseman the Kings have are EASILY better than Hainsey). They also have a bigger meaner exact same version of Postma in Jake Muzzin. Also in the mix is Thomas Hickey, who has been the final cut in camp for each of the past 3 seasons, and will get his chance very soon. Both Hickey and Muzzin were waiver eligible this year, so it was theorized the Kings would part ways with decent #7 Drewiske to allow one of the prospects onto the roster, but the other would almost assuredly be claimed. Both are equal to Postma, so not only do they not have room for Hainsey AT ALL (pretty expensive #7), Postma would only create another player on the blueline who would be lost to waivers (if this went down Kings would have to put Postma, Muzzin and Hickey on waivers...all 3 would probably be claimed). Not to mention they have Andrew Bodnarchuk, Nick Deslauriers, David Kolomatis and Andrew Campell down in Manchester, all of whom could probably step in as depth options right now. Depth on the blueline is certainly not a problem.

A more realistic offer might be Spencer Machacek, Eddie Pasquale + 2nd + 3rd. Kings are lacking for picks and prospects in recent years due to trading away top picks for players, so adding this kind of depth to the prospect pool would be nice. Give Martin Jones some real competition in Manchester (he is struggling right now, being badly outplayed by former Jet goalie (of 20 mins) Peter Mannino) and eventually one of them can win the backup role to Quick in a year or two. Machacek would fit in nicely on the Kings bottom 6, would play the grinding dump and chase system PERFECTLY, that'd be an unreal fit for Machacek.

Would the Jets do that? IDK, that's a lot to give up for a team with their supposed "franchise" goalie already locked up. Not to mention Pavelec is notoriously fussy about getting what he wants (remember the hissy fit he threw when they sent him back to AHL a couple of years ago), and I don't think he would want a young potential star goalie right behind potentially taking away his spotlight. Honestly I would feel better with Bernier as the starter going forward, but it's not the right time to make that trade, IMO.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Assuming Vancouver doesn't pony up the dollars/can't afford the cap hit to re-sign Edler, there could be a very real possibility of a trade for Edler + Schneider package from the Canucks. It might be costly, but they need an RHD and could potentially use a guy like Buff. Something around expiring Edler + Schneider for Byfuglien+ maybe?

We would also have to probably offload Pavelec after that though too. A team like Columbus, possibly Detroit or Chicago might be interested.

Just got a trade idea...

WPG/VAN
Schneider + Edler for Byfuglien + Little

WPG/TOR
Pavelec for Grabovski

Schneider takes Pavelec's spot, Grabovski takes Little's spot and Edler fills Byfugliens. Also, each team gets an upgrade at a position of need...?

Last edited by Jets: 12-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Assuming Vancouver doesn't pony up the dollars/can't afford the cap hit to re-sign Edler, there could be a very real possibility of a trade for Edler + Schneider package from the Canucks. It might be costly, but they need an RHD and could potentially use a guy like Buff. Something around expiring Edler + Schneider for Byfuglien+ maybe?

We would also have to probably offload Pavelec after that though too. A team like Columbus, possibly Detroit or Chicago might be interested.

Just got a trade idea...

WPG/VAN
Schneider + Edler for Byfuglien + Little

WPG/TOR
Pavelec for Grabovski

Schneider takes Pavelec's spot, Grabovski takes Little's spot and Edler fills Byfugliens. Also, each team gets an upgrade at a position of need...?
No thanks. Edler is a soon to be a UFA, so essentially your trading buff and little for a Schneider and Edler's rights. Why not take a shot at him when FA hits?

Toronto would never go for that other deal. Pavelec is no way fixes their goalie situation, and ye difference between Pavelec and Reimer is not worth grabovski and ruining their centre depth.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:
No thanks. Edler is a soon to be a UFA, so essentially your trading buff and little for a Schneider and Edler's rights. Why not take a shot at him when FA hits?

Toronto would never go for that other deal. Pavelec is no way fixes their goalie situation, and ye difference between Pavelec and Reimer is not worth grabovski and ruining their centre depth.
I see what youre saying, what if it was simplified.

Schneider for Little+?

Old
12-17-2012, 12:09 AM
sully1410

Quote:
I see what youre saying, what if it was simplified.

Schneider for Little+?
Depending on what the + was I'd definitely do it. For sure. That kid will be a stud goalie in the league.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Depending on what the + was I'd definitely do it. For sure. That kid will be a stud goalie in the league.
That "kid" is older then pavs...isnt axhnieder 26 already?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:47 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
That "kid" is older then pavs...isnt axhnieder 26 already?
Yea...he's also leaps and bounds better then Pavs is.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:56 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
IMO Dubnyk would be a lateral move or possibly an upgrade. Dubnyk was more consistent than Pav last year. Sure, Pav has more upside, but I don't believe he will get there and I don't think he cares to try.
List of Issues to Fix on the Jets' Roster:
1C
1LW (Ladd belongs on the shutdown line, either 2nd or 3rd line depending on the system)
Lots more RWs. Outside of Wheeler the Jets are working with AHL caliber players.

Defensive corps looks solid. Although Jets could rob Peter to pay Paul and move Dustin Byfuglien back to a RW or LW role. Then find another option for 1RD.

Pavelec is the solution in net, the Jets just need better players in front of him. Defensively they are pretty solid (although Byfuglien is exploitable and better options exist for the defensive side of a 1D) and the Jets need a lot more depth among their forward corps.

Cut the dead weight in Antropov, Miettinen and Ponikarovsky ASAP.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Yea...he's also leaps and bounds better then Pavs is.
I don't disagree, but Schnieder often gets mentioned as if he's some spring chicken... historically and statistically, is right now not his window for his best play? i thought goalies peak was 25-28....

Old
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
1C
1LW (Ladd belongs on the shutdown line, either 2nd or 3rd line depending on the system)
Lots more RWs. Outside of Wheeler the Jets are working with AHL caliber players.

Defensive corps looks solid. Although Jets could rob Peter to pay Paul and move Dustin Byfuglien back to a RW or LW role. Then find another option for 1RD.

Pavelec is the solution in net, the Jets just need better players in front of him. Defensively they are pretty solid (although Byfuglien is exploitable and better options exist for the defensive side of a 1D) and the Jets need a lot more depth among their forward corps.

Cut the dead weight in Antropov, Miettinen and Ponikarovsky ASAP.
strongly disagree on most points.

1C) definitly agree here, though joki's good, and hopefully schief can become it.

1lw) whoa now? ladd put up 2 28+ goal seasons.... if he'd gotten two more goals he'd be regarded as a star.... this guy is criminally underrated. Ladd was 30th in lw scoring last year, and 91st in forward scoring, putting him just on the cusp of a first liner last year. the year before he was 15th and 48th, putting him firmly in the top line category. If ladds your third line winger, you best be bringing home the stanly cup or you need to readjust your depth.

rw's) no argument here

Defence) d core does look good, except for the lack of depth ld's.

Moving buff) I'll never get this fascination. Except for a 20 game stint in the playoffs buff was crap at forward. his best season was a 30 pt +7.. shockingly similar to "dead weight" antropov last year. If i were to move buff it would be for a young, top 4+ LHD.

Pavelec is the solution..... there's lots to suggest otherwise and not alot beyond "opinion" to suggest this is true. I like his athleticism, and i'd love for him to be the solution...but at this point it certainly doesn't look like it.

cut the dead weight.... Well for one, ponikarovsky hasn't played a single game so i don't know how you could assume he's dead weight. And if you can find 2 prospects in our system better then Antropov and Miettenen go for it, but those two are also criminally underrated.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
KrisowszyJetsPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
1C

ASAP.
1LW?? Whaaaaa'?
May I introduce You Mr. Bro'vander Kane our future 1LW.

Closed Thread