HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part VII : Tips and Tricks Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
1. Trade for Jack Campbell
2. Build from the net out
3. ????
4. Profit
Keeping Bob for now. He isn't the solution long term though. Unfortunately, Campbell takes a long time to develop in this game; I know I've looked at picking him up in other GMs I've done before. I really hate EAs ratings. I usually edit most of the league and important prospects myself, but it's too much work to do all of the leagues and when you don't it throws it out of whack because any prospect you miss develops totally differently than the ones you remember to work on.

I might try trading for PK Subban.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:06 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Keeping Bob for now. He isn't the solution long term though. Unfortunately, Campbell takes a long time to develop in this game; I know I've looked at picking him up in other GMs I've done before. I really hate EAs ratings. I usually edit most of the league and important prospects myself, but it's too much work to do all of the leagues and when you don't it throws it out of whack because any prospect you miss develops totally differently than the ones you remember to work on.

I might try trading for PK Subban.
I haven't played '13, and I guess I won't at this rate... But in '12 I used to draft only 20 and under teams and would always go with Campbell. But you're right, he does take a few years to really get going.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I haven't played '13, and I guess I won't at this rate... But in '12 I used to draft only 20 and under teams and would always go with Campbell. But you're right, he does take a few years to really get going.
I like accumulating a lot of young players on my team, but I don't do fantasy draft or anything like that and I try to keep it fairly realistic. Like, if I want a player from another team, I don't just offer up enough to get them, I try to take into consideration that team's real life needs and what they'd likely be asking for if they were making a deal. Sometimes it means I overpay, but I also try to accommodate for the fact that, in real life, if I wanted Subban for example, I'd have to overpay by a good amount. It's a weird way to play, but I like it. I'm liking the suggestion to go with Columbus too.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

This. Is. Awesome.

12-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
This. Is. Awesome.

I must do this

Old
12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I really don't understand how anyone can defend rap after watching this concert. Kanye has just ruined this concert. The music has no meaning and is utter trash.

Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Who, and then.... Kanye

This is disgusting music.

Thank God Billy Joel is coming on after this. Salvage the concert.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
This. Is. Awesome.

that was sick

Old
12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
I really don't understand how anyone can defend rap after watching this concert. Kanye has just ruined this concert. The music has no meaning and is utter trash.

Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Who, and then.... Kanye

This is disgusting music.

Thank God Billy Joel is coming on after this. Salvage the concert.
Kanye's the worst. Rap is terrible. Just saying.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Kanye's the worst. Rap is terrible. Just saying.
Popular rap is terrible these days. Have to look for good underground/less popular stuff. I think Childish Gambino is the best rapper I've ever heard.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Please don't be so narrow minded.

"Rap is the worst" is such a generalization that, for you to say it, you probably don't even realize how many VASTLY different artists and styles you're dismissing.

You don't have to like the sound of it, musically; that is perfectly fine and preference based and I can totally understand it, but there are some incredibly gifted, intelligent, forward thinking artists who are "rappers" and one of my biggest pet peeves is listening to people who have never heard of them nor given them the time of day dismiss them because of guys like lil Wayne. Some of the most progressive, intelligent protest music and 'change oriented', or 'activist' music of this generation is coming from bright young hip-hop artists. Please don't generalize or pigeon hole them because of some crappy mainstream rap you disliked.

Lupe Fiasco, just for example, because you've likely heard of him (and again, you don't have to like the sound) is a brilliant individual who literally makes every lyric count and is trying to change the very culture that poor black youths are exposed to. Every word he raps has a purpose and meaning and he is an activist in the truest sense of the word, not just in his music but in his actions. He's a conspiracy theorist, humanitarian, rebel who speaks out against mainstream hip-hop, misogyny, politics, violence, drugs and much more in virtually every single song he writes. It might be that you have to understand hip-hop, and Lupe's approach to changing it, in order to understand and appreciate the message and meaning in his music, and if you don't want to take the time to do that because it's just not your cup of tea, that's fine too, but don't sell him, or his numerous peers who are producing hip-hop of similar content and quality, short. Please.

Edit: just for the sake of conversation, yes, I clearly listen to hip-hop. Mostly I am very picky and selective, gearing my listening towards the kinds of artists that I just described, but as a side-effect of a.) becoming open-minded towards hip-hop in general and learning to appreciate different elements like the flow, word play, beat, etc. in the artists that I prefer, b.) having been a played college hockey and lived/traveled/roomed with teammates with all different kinds of musical tastes, including mainstream hip-hop, and c.) having a younger brother who, along with his friends and peers is a big fan of the most current and mainstream hip-hop, as well as some really good up-and-coming hip-hop, I have developed several guilty pleasures in the realm of mainstream hip-hop as well. Sue me. I know the artists are morons and I don't take them seriously or respect their artistry much, but I like what I like. However, I also am a massive fan of rock music, having played in a few bands as a teenager and grown up in a purely rock and roll household. From classic rock to alternative and with many stops in between, I have a diverse appreciation for rock. I play guitar, bass and a little piano. I also sang in a few bands. I have guilty pleasures in the old-school Taking Back Sunday/Thursday category and a deep, deep, deep love of Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Incubus, Interpol, Tool, Muse, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Dylan, the Doors, the Who, the Beatles and dozens upon dozens of other rock artists (and members of these groups in their various solo careers as well) all show up on my ipod and daily listening in ample quantity, as do guys like John Mayer and Pete Yorn. I am far from a one trick pony when it comes to music, but I will defend hip-hop all day long because it is as varied in content as in quality as rock and roll itself.

Last edited by SERE 24: 12-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I laugh at the generalizations of Rap music and especially of Kanye West. Don't get me wrong. He's a complete ****** but he writes some truly fantastic music.

12-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I laugh at the generalizations of Rap music and especially of Kanye West. Don't get me wrong. He's a complete ****** but he writes some truly fantastic music.

12-13-2012, 12:59 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I will say he HAS written some really good music. Lately I haven't felt his whole "my girlfriend of 10 years and I broke up and my mom tragically died so I'm going to make an R&B album and then transform into an alcoholic eccentric" vibe, but College Dropout, Late Reg and Graduation were all brilliant and he's had plenty of flashes of that old Kanyeezy since, but just hasn't hit the same level for me.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Kanye hasn't been good since Graduation dropped.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Cresto
Much .500

I'm not qualified to throw my opinion around much but it is true that I haven't heard anything good, music wise and opinion wise for a few years now.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Ih8theislanders

Old
12-13-2012, 06:50 AM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

Rap sucks. End of story. Heavy metal

Old
12-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Kreider
My name is Nils

I'll just point out that people who buy, and resell tickets for a charity concept are the scum of the earth.

12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I'll just point out that people who buy, and resell tickets for a charity concept are the scum of the earth.
Also companies like ticketmaster who sell tickets to their sister site that brokers tickets at a higher price are also scum

Old
12-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Cresto
Much .500

I LOST MY KEY. I think. MARMOAMRAMRMMGGGG.
I might have lost them, maybe not. I'm not sure. Either way, I am going to buy a lockable door knob for my room so that even if a thief gets in, they won't be able to get into my room. This will safe guard me against potential balcony climbers and wall scalers as well as key thieves and also door smashers. Also, future house mates and the landlords.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Cresto
Much .500

I don't believe we've met Krishna. I'm Jason, 20, poker player and enjoys conversations over coffee and Siberian Huskies.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Man, they really hyped that Nirvana Reunion last night before the show. Then they come out and play one track that isn't even a Nirvana song? Was awesome, but totally lame at the same time.

They should have brought Vedder back out to jam with Sir Paul and Nirvana. Was cool to see Pat Smear though!

Old
12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Eddie was too comfortably numb by then.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Anybody need a gorgeous Ralph Lauren wool pea coat that I only wore once in my life before outgrowing it in the gym the following summer? I bought this beautiful $495 pea coat two winters ago in like February, right before I stopped needing a winter jacket and then I blew up in the gym that summer and it no longer fits over my massive lats and chest

I was actually devastated that I couldn't wear it the next winter, so I offered it to my little brother, but he wouldn't wear it because it's "not his style". In other words, it's way too nice and he feels pretentious in it because it makes him look like ten million bucks and he's used to looking like a slacker every day. So it's been sitting in the closet and I actually forgot about until my dad bought me a pea coat last week for my birthday and I ended up hating it. It's so generic and lame compared to my beautiful Ralph Lauren jacket. It made me pull the old jacket out of the closet to compare and, man, it's still just gorgeous. So I started digging on ebay and found someone selling it in a larger size; needless to say, I bought it. It would be a shame to let the old one rot in my closet though, especially having only been worn the one time.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Deferred by New Hampshire and Vermont, and rejected by Northeastern. Argh.

Closed Thread