HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVIII: Don't worry about the lockout. Let me worry about blank.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
  #801
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.
I do think there's some truth to Bettman negotiating for his job though...inasmuch as he promised another big win for the owners, and if he can't deliver then there might be **** to pay. Fehr might know that, and that's part of the reason he's willing to go to the deadline.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
  #802
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Yes. I got news this morning that I'm cancer free so now's the time for me to be happy. No more negativity for me.
Congrats!

Ducks DVM is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:13 PM
  #803
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I do think there's some truth to Bettman negotiating for his job though...inasmuch as he promised another big win for the owners, and if he can't deliver then there might be **** to pay. Fehr might know that, and that's part of the reason he's willing to go to the deadline.
I think your reaching. Bettman has more support from the owners then you might want to believe. The guy has been around for 20 yrs for a reason.

MikeK is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
  #804
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.
I think that pretty soon the owners will take the decision out of Bettman's hands and tell him to get a deal done. Maybe that decision was made a long time ago and they are just seeing what they can get the players to move on. Fehr may irritate the hell out of them but in the end it's business. It makes business sense to get a deal done and the date for that having to happen is just about here.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
  #805
Iron Fist
#withus
 
Iron Fist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 500
I'm probably just drinking kool-aid but couldn' t the quiet "no progress" just be a front for some actual work? You know, for the "deal out of nowhere" approach?

Iron Fist is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
  #806
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I do think there's some truth to Bettman negotiating for his job though...inasmuch as he promised another big win for the owners, and if he can't deliver then there might be **** to pay. Fehr might know that, and that's part of the reason he's willing to go to the deadline.
If Bettman loses his job he would probably be the happiest man alive. How many years has he signed for? And for $8 Million per? His severance would be off the hook crazy.

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
  #807
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor living View Post
I'm probably just drinking kool-aid but couldn' t the quiet "no progress" just be a front for some actual work? You know, for the "deal out of nowhere" approach?
Sure. But don't get your hopes up with this league.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:17 PM
  #808
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Here's my thinking about this stalemate.

The players - collectively - unarguably have more to lose at this point. However, Gary Bettman has more to lose - personally - than Donald Fehr does. At this point, Fehr is essentially putting Bettman to a simple test: is he [Bettman] willing to cancel a season over the outstanding issues? I will say this much: if Gary Bettman does cancel the season, he will lose the PR war and he will lose his job. No commissioner will get a pass for canceling a season (his second in 8 years) over contract lengths. Imagine Bettman trying to justify that in a press conference.

With that said, this tactic on behalf of Fehr requires a lot of cojones. If - for whatever reason - Bettman calls the bluff, then the players will lose a year of salary fighting for issues that are of very little consequence. As a fan, I am insulted by Fehr's tactics. With that said, at this juncture I feel like I have been abused by the league so many times that I'm "numbed"...the fact that the players are holding me hostage this time doesn't anger me as much as it might have in the past.

Frankly, at this juncture, I look forward to them getting the game back on the ice (an inevitability) so that I can watch the games, but I will derive a sick satisfaction from not renewing my Center Ice subscription, not buying merchandise and not going to games, but rather watching games on my computer (streaming on websites that shall not be named).

I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.

Orrthebest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
  #809
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor living View Post
I'm probably just drinking kool-aid but couldn' t the quiet "no progress" just be a front for some actual work? You know, for the "deal out of nowhere" approach?
Wish I could agree but I really do believe the League has set their 3 main points that they won't move off of. I do believe the ball is in the players court now. How bad do they really want to play?

MikeK is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
  #810
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.
You can't really compare the leagues. To start with the definition of revenue used by the NHL excludes many items, as I understand it.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
  #811
Wiems35*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 50
I can't say I care about getting games in this season anymore. Only reason I want a CBA signed this year is so that we can see the fan backlash sooner.

Wiems35* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
  #812
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,988
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.
Just to be fair, the last offers to be "upped" as you put it, had nothing to do with Bettman. Remember, he wasn't in the room, that was Daly and 4 owners w/ S. Fehr and a coalition of players.

Even when Donald went back in Bettman stayed out. The owners upped the offer because they wanted to up the offer.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
  #813
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You can't really compare the leagues. To start with the definition of revenue used by the NHL excludes many items, as I understand it.
So do the other leagues.

Orrthebest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
  #814
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.
I disagree. As has been pointed out countless times, the owners have already "won" this negotiation. They got their 50/50, which - in reality - was their only significant goal of this lockout. They're also going to win some assortment of their secondary wants. If the lockout ended today with the ratificatoin of the NHLPA's proposal from last week (or something very close to it), Bettman would still have "won" this negotiation and he'd still have the support of the owners, IMO.

LetangInTheSO is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
  #815
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I disagree. As has been pointed out countless times, the owners have already "won" this negotiation. They got their 50/50, which - in reality - was their only significant goal of this lockout. They're also going to win some assortment of their secondary wants. If the lockout ended today with the ratificatoin of the NHLPA's proposal from last week (or something very close to it), Bettman would still have "won" this negotiation and he'd still have the support of the owners, IMO.
Yeah. It's laughable to think Bettman could be in trouble. The guy has been around for 20yrs for a reason. Taken the game from a $400M industry to $3+Billion. He is the owners henchman. He'll go out on his own terms no question about it.

MikeK is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
  #816
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I disagree. As has been pointed out countless times, the owners have already "won" this negotiation. They got their 50/50, which - in reality - was their only significant goal of this lockout. They're also going to win some assortment of their secondary wants. If the lockout ended today with the ratificatoin of the NHLPA's proposal from last week (or something very close to it), Bettman would still have "won" this negotiation and he'd still have the support of the owners, IMO.
You're probably right unfortunately as clearly the fans are not a priority for either side. On the bright side though if we get a 9 or 10 year CBA he will likely be gone the next time this rolls around. That's good enough for me!

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
  #817
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,671
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
My weekend won't be complete until I hear that SFehr and BDaly have touched base.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  #818
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You're probably right unfortunately as clearly the fans are not a priority for either side. On the bright side though if we get a 9 or 10 year CBA he will likely be gone the next time this rolls around. That's good enough for me!
I think that's one of the reasons he wants a 10 year CBA. So that Daly or Batterman can be groomed for the job over the next 5 years and he retires at 65. But then again, in the world of big business these guys sometimes stick around for ever. He could still be doing the job when he's 80 for all we know.

molsonmuscle360 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
  #819
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,671
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
*Ask for mediation*

*Mediators mediate*

*Refuse to budge on issues*

Don't understand.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
  #820
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You can't really compare the leagues. To start with the definition of revenue used by the NHL excludes many items, as I understand it.
NFL just has a different way of accomplishing what NHL's exclusions to the HRR does. Not sure how the NBA treats it. But most exclusions from the HRR make complete sense.

The NHL has offered their players a more favourable CBA than both the NFL and NBA. NFL players will make less money as a % of revenue and have non-guaranteed contracts. NBA is more even with the NHL proposal, but players should still like the NHL one better. And this is despite the fact that NHL players bring their owners the least amount of revenue and profit of the 4 major sports.

And I'd even argue that the NHL proposed CBA is better for its membership as a whole than MLB's. MLB is better for the stars but not for all.

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
  #821
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think that's one of the reasons he wants a 10 year CBA. So that Daly or Batterman can be groomed for the job over the next 5 years and he retires at 65. But then again, in the world of big business these guys sometimes stick around for ever. He could still be doing the job when he's 80 for all we know.
I would have liked to have seen the duties divided. Have Bettman concentrate on growing the business which appears to be his strength and have someone like Daly head the negotiations with Bettman being consulted but not in the meetings.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:54 PM
  #822
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,681
vCash: 500
Bettman is in his first year of a 5 year deal that will pay him 40 million dollars.

His job is safe.

FakeKidPoker* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:55 PM
  #823
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
NFL just has a different way of accomplishing what NHL's exclusions to the HRR does. Not sure how the NBA treats it. But most exclusions from the HRR make complete sense.

The NHL has offered their players a more favourable CBA than both the NFL and NBA. NFL players will make less money as a % of revenue and have non-guaranteed contracts. NBA is more even with the NHL proposal, but players should still like the NHL one better. And this is despite the fact that NHL players bring their owners the least amount of revenue and profit of the 4 major sports.

And I'd even argue that the NHL proposed CBA is better for its membership as a whole than MLB's. MLB is better for the stars but not for all.
I don't know about that. I just heard that Canadian Ryan Dempster is negotiating a 3 year $35 million deal with the Red Sox. I wouldn't call him a star. Baseball salaries are insane.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
  #824
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Bettman is in his first year of a 5 year deal that will pay him 40 million dollars.

His job is safe.
Or praying to be fired.

I know I would be with those numbers. I could find stuff to do for the 5 years...

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
  #825
Bushay
Registered User
 
Bushay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
If the season is cancelled....

Donald Fehr will go down as the greatest villain in the history of sports.

For all the good he did for MLB, it will all be forgotten and replaced by the actions of his ego in 2012.

Mark my words.

Bushay is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.