HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVIII: Don't worry about the lockout. Let me worry about blank.

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.
I do think there's some truth to Bettman negotiating for his job though...inasmuch as he promised another big win for the owners, and if he can't deliver then there might be **** to pay. Fehr might know that, and that's part of the reason he's willing to go to the deadline.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Yes. I got news this morning that I'm cancer free so now's the time for me to be happy. No more negativity for me.
Congrats!

Old
12-13-2012, 05:13 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I do think there's some truth to Bettman negotiating for his job though...inasmuch as he promised another big win for the owners, and if he can't deliver then there might be **** to pay. Fehr might know that, and that's part of the reason he's willing to go to the deadline.
I think your reaching. Bettman has more support from the owners then you might want to believe. The guy has been around for 20 yrs for a reason.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think Bettman would be so stupid to jeopardize his job. No season will be cancelled unless there are enough owners to agree to it. As long as there are enough owners to agree to it, then there are enough owners to protect him from losing his job.
I think that pretty soon the owners will take the decision out of Bettman's hands and tell him to get a deal done. Maybe that decision was made a long time ago and they are just seeing what they can get the players to move on. Fehr may irritate the hell out of them but in the end it's business. It makes business sense to get a deal done and the date for that having to happen is just about here.

Old
Iron Fist
#withus

I'm probably just drinking kool-aid but couldn' t the quiet "no progress" just be a front for some actual work? You know, for the "deal out of nowhere" approach?

Old
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
If Bettman loses his job he would probably be the happiest man alive. How many years has he signed for? And for $8 Million per? His severance would be off the hook crazy.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor living View Post
I'm probably just drinking kool-aid but couldn' t the quiet "no progress" just be a front for some actual work? You know, for the "deal out of nowhere" approach?
Sure. But don't get your hopes up with this league.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Here's my thinking about this stalemate.

The players - collectively - unarguably have more to lose at this point. However, Gary Bettman has more to lose - personally - than Donald Fehr does. At this point, Fehr is essentially putting Bettman to a simple test: is he [Bettman] willing to cancel a season over the outstanding issues? I will say this much: if Gary Bettman does cancel the season, he will lose the PR war and he will lose his job. No commissioner will get a pass for canceling a season (his second in 8 years) over contract lengths. Imagine Bettman trying to justify that in a press conference.

With that said, this tactic on behalf of Fehr requires a lot of cojones. If - for whatever reason - Bettman calls the bluff, then the players will lose a year of salary fighting for issues that are of very little consequence. As a fan, I am insulted by Fehr's tactics. With that said, at this juncture I feel like I have been abused by the league so many times that I'm "numbed"...the fact that the players are holding me hostage this time doesn't anger me as much as it might have in the past.

Frankly, at this juncture, I look forward to them getting the game back on the ice (an inevitability) so that I can watch the games, but I will derive a sick satisfaction from not renewing my Center Ice subscription, not buying merchandise and not going to games, but rather watching games on my computer (streaming on websites that shall not be named).

I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor living View Post
Wish I could agree but I really do believe the League has set their 3 main points that they won't move off of. I do believe the ball is in the players court now. How bad do they really want to play?

Old
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
I think Bettman is more likely to lose his job if the NHL caves than if he cancels the season. Bettman already looks bad because he has increased the last offer 2 or 3 times, if he caves now how can anyone see him as anything but weak? The owners want a tiger not a paper tiger.

The NHL has already offered a better deal than the NBA and NFL. They have already given too much.
You can't really compare the leagues. To start with the definition of revenue used by the NHL excludes many items, as I understand it.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Wiems35*

vCash: 50
I can't say I care about getting games in this season anymore. Only reason I want a CBA signed this year is so that we can see the fan backlash sooner.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:

Just to be fair, the last offers to be "upped" as you put it, had nothing to do with Bettman. Remember, he wasn't in the room, that was Daly and 4 owners w/ S. Fehr and a coalition of players.

Even when Donald went back in Bettman stayed out. The owners upped the offer because they wanted to up the offer.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You can't really compare the leagues. To start with the definition of revenue used by the NHL excludes many items, as I understand it.
So do the other leagues.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:

I disagree. As has been pointed out countless times, the owners have already "won" this negotiation. They got their 50/50, which - in reality - was their only significant goal of this lockout. They're also going to win some assortment of their secondary wants. If the lockout ended today with the ratificatoin of the NHLPA's proposal from last week (or something very close to it), Bettman would still have "won" this negotiation and he'd still have the support of the owners, IMO.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
MikeK

Quote:
I disagree. As has been pointed out countless times, the owners have already "won" this negotiation. They got their 50/50, which - in reality - was their only significant goal of this lockout. They're also going to win some assortment of their secondary wants. If the lockout ended today with the ratificatoin of the NHLPA's proposal from last week (or something very close to it), Bettman would still have "won" this negotiation and he'd still have the support of the owners, IMO.
Yeah. It's laughable to think Bettman could be in trouble. The guy has been around for 20yrs for a reason. Taken the game from a $400M industry to $3+Billion. He is the owners henchman. He'll go out on his own terms no question about it.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
vanwest

Quote:
You're probably right unfortunately as clearly the fans are not a priority for either side. On the bright side though if we get a 9 or 10 year CBA he will likely be gone the next time this rolls around. That's good enough for me!

Old
12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
My weekend won't be complete until I hear that SFehr and BDaly have touched base.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
You're probably right unfortunately as clearly the fans are not a priority for either side. On the bright side though if we get a 9 or 10 year CBA he will likely be gone the next time this rolls around. That's good enough for me!
I think that's one of the reasons he wants a 10 year CBA. So that Daly or Batterman can be groomed for the job over the next 5 years and he retires at 65. But then again, in the world of big business these guys sometimes stick around for ever. He could still be doing the job when he's 80 for all we know.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
*Ask for mediation*

*Mediators mediate*

*Refuse to budge on issues*

Don't understand.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
NFL just has a different way of accomplishing what NHL's exclusions to the HRR does. Not sure how the NBA treats it. But most exclusions from the HRR make complete sense.

The NHL has offered their players a more favourable CBA than both the NFL and NBA. NFL players will make less money as a % of revenue and have non-guaranteed contracts. NBA is more even with the NHL proposal, but players should still like the NHL one better. And this is despite the fact that NHL players bring their owners the least amount of revenue and profit of the 4 major sports.

And I'd even argue that the NHL proposed CBA is better for its membership as a whole than MLB's. MLB is better for the stars but not for all.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think that's one of the reasons he wants a 10 year CBA. So that Daly or Batterman can be groomed for the job over the next 5 years and he retires at 65. But then again, in the world of big business these guys sometimes stick around for ever. He could still be doing the job when he's 80 for all we know.
I would have liked to have seen the duties divided. Have Bettman concentrate on growing the business which appears to be his strength and have someone like Daly head the negotiations with Bettman being consulted but not in the meetings.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:54 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Bettman is in his first year of a 5 year deal that will pay him 40 million dollars.

His job is safe.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:55 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
NFL just has a different way of accomplishing what NHL's exclusions to the HRR does. Not sure how the NBA treats it. But most exclusions from the HRR make complete sense.

The NHL has offered their players a more favourable CBA than both the NFL and NBA. NFL players will make less money as a % of revenue and have non-guaranteed contracts. NBA is more even with the NHL proposal, but players should still like the NHL one better. And this is despite the fact that NHL players bring their owners the least amount of revenue and profit of the 4 major sports.

And I'd even argue that the NHL proposed CBA is better for its membership as a whole than MLB's. MLB is better for the stars but not for all.
I don't know about that. I just heard that Canadian Ryan Dempster is negotiating a 3 year $35 million deal with the Red Sox. I wouldn't call him a star. Baseball salaries are insane.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Bettman is in his first year of a 5 year deal that will pay him 40 million dollars.

His job is safe.
Or praying to be fired.

I know I would be with those numbers. I could find stuff to do for the 5 years...

Old
12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Bushay

If the season is cancelled....

Donald Fehr will go down as the greatest villain in the history of sports.

For all the good he did for MLB, it will all be forgotten and replaced by the actions of his ego in 2012.

Mark my words.

Closed Thread