Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Racism in football

Old
10-18-2012, 01:58 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

vCash: 500
Reading striker Jason Roberts will not wear a 'Kick It Out' T-shirt in protest at what he perceives to be the campaign group's lack of action in combating racism in football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19994204

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Evilo

Lazio was fined for insults towards Spurs player in C3 action (it's worth noting that AVB denied any insult).

I'm not sure why people need to point towards eastern countries.
We've had insults like that in Spain, Italy, France over the years too. And I'm sure somewhere else.
Lazio fans are notorious for monkey chants, Eto'o suffered the same in Spain, and we've had our fair part of problems in France, especially in Corsica.
Just the other day, a Sochaux fan that was angry at his team called out Boudebouz and told him to "go back home".

Idiots are everywhere, and idiots love football.
They are quite often not rich enough to pay for an entry in western Europe, but the price is lower in eastern Europe so they do get into stadiums more easily. But yeah idiots are rampants around football stadiums, and xenophobic idiots even more.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:40 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Just because you can't hear it out loud, does not mean it doesn't happen in the UK. I've heard people shout racist things a few times.

Can't remember if it was 2 years ago but 3 or 4 Rangers fans racially abused their own player Maurice Edu

Sure it's ver small number of people but it still happens. Pretty sure Chelsea have/had well known racist fans who were part of BNP/EDL

Old
10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Rose booted the ball at the fans after the whistle had gone that certainly didn't help the situation and is why he got sent off
pretty tame response to being racially abused.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
pretty tame response to being racially abused.
No excuse for the racism but his action fuelled the fans anger even more

He should of stayed smart/cool and celebrated with his team mates or walk away

Old
10-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Terry's punishment was a travesty and Cameron is interfering with football when he's calling out for UEFA sanctions against Serbia.

It's also unfair to present that group of braindead morons as the real life presentation of entire Serbia.
Do you have sources that say Cameron is calling out for sanctions? The only person whose been on the news to call for action is the head of the FA.

Also. Today, or yesterday. Not sure when. Apparently the Serbian FA released a video saying Danny Rose lying to whom? It was a video of the game with no racism chants included. Apparently, it stops at the 75th minute of the game. Funny that. Stops before the racism starts. Not sure if that bit is true yet only been told about it.

Here it is;

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Not heard anything about action being brought against Serbia yet.

Also, Peter Herbert who is the head of the Society of Black Lawyers was the person who filed a prosecution towards Mark Clattenburg because he "might've used inappropriate language towards John Obi-Mikel". He's also saying that Tottenham fans should stop saying Yid, Yiddo and Yid Army as it's racist and if they don't he'll report them to the police.

Finally, this the best bit. He wants to set up a Black Players Association. Can't see anything wrong with that.......

Old
11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Of all European countries, I find it ironic that Germany seems to be getting the least publicity when it comes to racism in football.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

A friend of mine is doing a report/research on this topic (focusing in the UK) and there will be more incidents that have gone unreported

12 March 2012 Sky Sports cameras caught an Arsenal fan abusing Newcastle's Cheick Tiote.

20 March 2012 Crawley Town's Dean Howell was allegedly racially abused by a Gillingham supporter.

15 April 2012 A 55-year-old man racially abused Didier Drogba during the 2011-12 FA Cup semi-final.

6 October 2012 Marvin Sordell claimed he was racially abused by a Millwall fan whilst playing for Bolton Wanderers.

31 October 2012 A Chelsea fan was caught making a "monkey" gesture to Manchester United's Danny Welbeck.

10 November 2012 Six Millwall fans arrested after unfurling a racist banner aimed at Marvin Sordell.

A lot has been done to tackle the issue but no-one can deny it doesn't exist in the UK, it'll be much worse in grassroots too

Last edited by vsk92: 11-13-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 02:07 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Of all European countries, I find it ironic that Germany seems to be getting the least publicity when it comes to racism in football.
I'm pretty sure Hamburg and Hansa Rostock have the most known racist fans in Germany

Old
12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

UEFA showing how incompetent they are again.

Serbia fined 66k. Bendtner was fined 100k for showing paddy power pants.

Joke.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
UEFA showing how incompetent they are again.

Serbia fined 66k. Bendtner was fined 100k for showing paddy power pants.

Joke.
And an empty stadium match and a two year suspension for two serbian officials and a suspension up to 4 games for 4 serbian players and 2 english players.

Looks like you lost a lot in translation.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:43 PM
wej20

competitive under 21 match behind doors, pretty tame punishment.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Evilo

I don't call 2 year suspensions tame punishment.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I was more pointing out the fact that something like racism has earnt a smaller fine yet revealing a non-sponsors boxers is more. Just doesn't make sense.

Oh and those sentences for the Serbians:

Quote:
Serbia fitness coach Andreja Milunovic was suspended from all football-related activities for two years, the second of which is suspended for a probationary period of three years.
Serbia assistant coach Predrag Katic was suspended from all football-related activities for two years, the final six months of which are suspended for a probationary period of three years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2Exu9lup5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
It's really one year for one and 18 months for the other.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:18 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
I don't call 2 year suspensions tame punishment.
the overall punishment to the Serbian FA is tame though, a fine less than Bedtner's and 1 almost meaningless game behind closed doors.

Last edited by wej20: 12-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
the overall punishment to the Serbian FA is tame though, a fine less than Bedtner's and a 1 almost meaningless game behind closed doors.
The punishments to the officials are even more tame when you consider that for one of them the final year is probationary whilst the other the final six months are probationary.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Racism in English Football

This season alone:

October 6th, 2012 Millwall fans unfurled a racist banner aimed at Bolton's Marvin Sordell. Fines or suspensions by the FA: None as of today.

October 31st, 2012 - Chelsea fan was caught making a "monkey" gesture to Manchester United's Danny Welbeck. Not the first documented incident involving Chelsea fans and racism. Fines or suspensions by the FA: None as of today.

November 25th, 2012 - Visiting West Ham fans hurled anti-Semitic chants towards Tottenham fans at White Hart Lane. West Ham ultras have a significant history violence and racism. Fines or suspensions by the FA: None as of today.

December 8th, 2012 - Racial abuse directed at Norwich defender Sebastien Bassong was heard during the Swansea-Norwich match at Liberty Stadium. Fines or suspensions by the FA: None as of today.

December 9th, 2012 - Racial insults were heard in addition to coin throwing at Etihad stadium during the Manchester derby. Fines or suspensions by the FA: None as of today.

So why is the FA even more lenient on racism than UEFA?

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

You've conveniently left out the times they did hand out fines/suspensions, like the ridiculous John Terry one. I know that was last season but it's besides the point.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

There was a perfectly good thread just below..

Of those incidents two were on people "hearing" abuse. You can't prosecute someone on hearsay unless you know who it is. It's also not in the jurisdiction of the FA to ban the club or fine them, they pass it onto the police and let them go after the individual. They only go after the club if there's a group that cause offence.

Onto the incidents at hand:

Millwall fan banned for unfurling racist banner

Swansea fan arrested for racist chant

FA investigating West Ham chants

Haven't got a link but the fan was banned at Manchester City for throwing the coin and invading the pitch, not sure if it was the same person who was being racist.

The Police dropped charges against the Chelsea fan but he has been banned for a period of time I think.

One thing in common is that the majority of cases are looked at the by the police not the FA. If it involves players being racist then the FA get's involved as seen with the Suarez and Terry cases.

So, in short, they're doing a heck of a lot more than UEFA. Terry was fined 220k and banned for four games.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Hamburg and Hansa Rostock have the most known racist fans in Germany
What was once East Germany has become a hot-bed for extreme politics and as a result most East German clubs have factions of far-right ultra-nationalist fans prone to making racist gestures.

I remember a couple of years ago a Nigerian player in the lower divisions got into trouble after he responded to the racial abuse he was getting by giving the guilty fans a Nazi salute (which is against German law).

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I was more pointing out the fact that something like racism has earnt a smaller fine yet revealing a non-sponsors boxers is more. Just doesn't make sense.

Oh and those sentences for the Serbians:

It's really one year for one and 18 months for the other.
Bendtner is earning an awful lot of money form football activities. I don't mind him being fined.

OTOH, hitting the purse on these U21 coaches and players is ridiculous. Giving out suspensions makes much more sense.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Hansa may have a shout there as the most popular club in an area that has shown itself as a bit of a hotbed of extreme nationalism, but Hamburg is nonsense. Hamburg has *some* fans that might fit the bill but so does every club.

But I imagine that's the sort of crap Celtic fans love to believe on account of their little friendship with St.Pauli.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:35 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Hansa may have a shout there as the most popular club in an area that has shown itself as a bit of a hotbed of extreme nationalism, but Hamburg is nonsense. Hamburg has *some* fans that might fit the bill but so does every club.

But I imagine that's the sort of crap Celtic fans love to believe on account of their little friendship with St.Pauli.
Some people do, but I'm not really a Celtic fan and I couldn't even care about Sankt Pauli

but I'm just basing my statement on what 2 friends of mine (from Stuttgart ) say

Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Some people do, but I'm not really a Celtic fan and I couldn't even care about Sankt Pauli

but I'm just basing my statement on what 2 friends of mine (from Stuttgart ) say
Your friends are entitled to their opinion and there's obviously no objective ranking on this issue but it's far-fetched. A lot of clubs have had some white nationalists in their stands and especially the hooligan firms tend to attract them. No doubt HSV have had some of that. But the same is true of Werder Bremen or Kaiserslautern, Hertha Berlin or Eintracht Frankfurt and a number of other clubs. But in all those cases it's not really been a dominant element of the fan scene for 10+ years.

I don't think there is a club in the top leagues where it is a dominant element, but Energie Cottbus and Dynamo Dresden probably have bigger issues on that front than Hamburg today.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote