HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
There going for speed and skill this year and by looks of it will only have one checking line. In the past they have had 2 skill/fast lines and 2 checking lines and it clearly didn't work also with how deep canada is they can't afford to be have top 6, bottom 6 and i believe this is one of the better teams in the past years because we got rid of that top 6, bottom 6 model.
Common misconception that it didn't work. They've gone with two scoring lines, an energy line and a shutdown line (not so much last year) historically. When Canada didn't win gold it wasn't because they needed an extra scoring line. They were and will continue to score plenty of goals. They just couldn't keep them out. Malcolm Subban is going to have to be huge this year because there's not a lot of trust I have in this team to keep the puck out of their net.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
leafsfuture

Steve Spott deserves about as much praise as a coach can at this point for 3 reasons:

1. Cutting the BS morning wake-up calls -- he didnt like it, and he had the balls to go against the old "system"

2. Picking skill over brawn. Obviously we need guys to play the "plumber" roles but I hate it when guys get cut because of the "top 6 or nothing" attitude.

3. For not being affraid to voice (in advance) that most of the team was already picked

Old
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Lessy

The forwards on Team Canada are basically HF's wet dream. Basically the most skilled yet undersized players in the country while taking no consideration for defense or physicality. We will see if it pays off but one thing is for sure: they will be fun to watch.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
The forwards on Team Canada are basically HF's wet dream. Basically the most skilled yet undersized players in the country while taking no consideration for defense or physicality. We will see if it pays off but one thing is for sure: they will be fun to watch.
Oli Maata disagrees

Also, the last time HC sent a team with no forward taller than 6'1 was in 2009.... and I will stop there

Old
12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Steve Spott deserves about as much praise as a coach can at this point for 3 reasons:

1. Cutting the BS morning wake-up calls -- he didnt like it, and he had the balls to go against the old "system"

2. Picking skill over brawn. Obviously we need guys to play the "plumber" roles but I hate it when guys get cut because of the "top 6 or nothing" attitude.

3. For not being affraid to voice (in advance) that most of the team was already picked
People say this now but might not be saying it once we play USA/Russia. This is a great roster for people that want to paste Germany 18-0. I'm not convinced it's a roster capable of winning close games on a regular basis. Not nearly enough defensive responsibility for my liking and I feel like some of these "skilled" forwards are going to turn into tweeners very quickly.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Oli Maata disagrees
Jenner, Ritchie, Camara. Three guys that will throw the body on the regular. I've watched this tournament religiously since the late 90's and this is by far the softest group of forwards I have ever seen on a Team Canada. I won't dispute the skill level mind you.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Drouin made it too!!!!! Congratz to the Hali boys!!

Old
Lessy

Quote:
Oli Maata disagrees

Also, the last time HC sent a team with no forward taller than 6'1 was in 2009.... and I will stop there
Size isn't everything. Patrice Cormier is the most physically dominant player I have seen in this tournament in a very long time. SDR, Benn and Kane were also very physical and in-your-face. That blueline also had some guys who could crush opponents.

Old
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Does Lipon have any physicality to his game? I haven't seen him play much.
He was one of the key pieces to the Blazers comeback last year against the Winterhawks. There was one shift in particular i can remember he hit Rattie probably 5 or 6 times and the last one eventually knocked Rattie out of the game, and he ended up missing the next game as well

Old
12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
People say this now but might not be saying it once we play USA/Russia. This is a great roster for people that want to paste Germany 18-0. I'm not convinced it's a roster capable of winning close games on a regular basis. Not nearly enough defensive responsibility for my liking and I feel like some of these "skilled" forwards are going to turn into tweeners very quickly.
I dont know about you but all I remember was 2011 when Russia tied it at 3, they kept sending Tarasenko and Kuznetstov over the boards, and we didnt have near the speed or the raw skill to counter. Brayden Schenn was great that tourney, but he lacked the wheels and the pure hands to do what they did.

The guys on the team who do play bottom 6 roles: Jenner, Camara, Danault, Ritchie, Lipon, in addition to Schiefele and Huberdeau will be relied upon to keep the game clean

Quote:
Jenner, Ritchie, Camara. Three guys that will throw the body on the regular. I've watched this tournament religiously since the late 90's and this is by far the softest group of forwards I have ever seen on a Team Canada. I won't dispute the skill level mind you.
Maybe the softest group, but international ice means that if you are going to add some size and physicality, the guys have to be able to skate. Otherwise they end up looking like goofballs

Old
12-13-2012, 08:48 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
I agree with you on this. They will score 4 goals a game and let in 6.
Well this team is going to get hit into 4th place. No I don't know more than people at HC but I do know Russia is big so are the swedes and so are the USA. Well I hope that HC heads roll after this years wjc
And I will be back after the tournament to say I told you guys. Who the f is Lipton ? Why are they picking him over McNeil or Wilson. Get ready to get hit into forth place. You can rub it in my face if they finish better than fourth.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Maybe the softest group, but international ice means that if you are going to add some size and physicality, the guys have to be able to skate. Otherwise they end up looking like goofballs
Fair point but I just don't see a group of players here that I'm comfortable playing against the 2013 version of Tarasenko/Kuznetsov aka Nail Yakupov. Very limited shutdown ability on this team compared to years past. Hopefully Subban excels.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:49 PM
jigsaw99

Well its a good thing Wilson didn't make it. Speed is going to be key this tourney.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I agree with you on this. They will score 4 goals a game and let in 6.
Well this team is going to get hit into 4th place. No I don't know more than people at HC but I do know Russia is big so are the swedes and so are the USA. Well I hope that HC heads roll after this years wjc
And I will be back after the tournament to say I told you guys. Who the f is Lipton ? Why are they picking him over McNeil or Wilson. Get ready to get hit into forth place. You can rub it in my face if they finish better than fourth.
Oh I think they can and will still win. On paper Canada probably has 4 of the top 5 players in the whole tournament thanks to the lockout. I just think they completely butchered the depth players. Posters on this site are obsessed with raw skill and talent when reality is you need a productive 3rd and 4th line in this tournament. McNeill and Wilson would certainly help in terms of physicality and cycling. There are going to be some seriously high scoring games with this roster because Canada has no one capable of stopping Russia's top guys and no one in the tournament is going to be capable of stopping RNH/Huberdeau.

Old
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

The first one is probably the thing the players are most happy about. That had to piss off players the most.

The second shows the stark contrast between Don Hay and Steve Spott. If Hay was coaching this team, this is a group of players that either wouldn't make the team or would have came close to not making the team: Morgan Rielly, Ryan Murphy, JC Lipon, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Phillip Danault, Charles Hudon, Ty Rattie, maybe more.

Spott gets a lot of flak in Kitchener; esepcially with his drafting, DeBoer was an amazing drafter, Spott's 3 picks haven't performed to expectations (Marcantuoni, Pedersen, Schmaltz). However, he's done this team well, and it's the best picked team Canada since 2009.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
Yes, and I'm sure you could have told us that Corrado's jr team plays on Olympic size ice at home games.
You're mixing up Canucks prospects blendini....Gaunce and the Belleville Bulls play on big ice, not Sudbury.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
flamebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Drouin-Mackinnon-Rattie
Lipon

I had Mcneill over Lipon but Lipon really stepped up today

Danault is a great C but can play RW just fine and forms a great shutdown line with Jenner. This also keep Mackinnon in the lineup at C
Schiefle - RNH - Rattie
Drouin - Huberdeau - Mackinnon
Ritchie - Strome - Jenner
Lipon - Danault - Hudon
Camara

Had Wilson & McNeil over Lipon & Camara

Good scoring on the top 2 lines and a mixture of scoring and grit on the bottom 6

Old
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
puckfan13

Don't know where this lack of grit argument comes from.. Camara, Ritchie, Jenner, Danault, Lipon? MacKinnon is a beast on the forecheck and Schiefle isn't soft at all either. On D Wotherspoon and Hamilton both won't have a problem wiping you out. Harrington and Reinhart aren't going to give you an inch to breathe even if they aren't the most physical guys. This is where hockey is going... speed and skill. There is more than enough energy and physicality on this squad.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
to whom are you referring?

Old
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
The first one is probably the thing the players are most happy about. That had to piss off players the most.

The second shows the stark contrast between Don Hay and Steve Spott. If Hay was coaching this team, this is a group of players that either wouldn't make the team or would have came close to not making the team: Morgan Rielly, Ryan Murphy, JC Lipon, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Phillip Danault, Charles Hudon, Ty Rattie, maybe more.

Spott gets a lot of flak in Kitchener; esepcially with his drafting, DeBoer was an amazing drafter, Spott's 3 picks haven't performed to expectations (Marcantuoni, Pedersen, Schmaltz). However, he's done this team well, and it's the best picked team Canada since 2009.
Let's come back to the bolded players after the tournament - except for Danault who I think is a shoo in on any team. I feel like these are the types of players that are going to be exposed in this tournament and turn into useless tweeners. If there was ever a year to pick more rugged players with defensive acumen it is in a lockout year. No one is going to shutdown RNH/Huberdeau. Even the 06 team had such high scorers as Jeremy Colliton, Stephen Dixon and Colin Fraser.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
When has a team won a game 3 hits to 1 hit?

Those are 3 big boys that will throw the body, but Hudon, Lipon, Huberdeau all play tough, hell even Mackinnon rocks guys consistantly.

Hamilton, Harrington, Oullette, Wortherspoon, Reinhart are all big d men capable of crushing people.

This isnt the 80s anymore...

Old
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
to whom are you referring?
The vast majority of posters on here would take 3, if not 4 pure scoring lines when making this team. Many strongly dislike the historic 2 scoring lines, energy line, shutdown line makeup of Canada.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
puckfan13

Last year's team lacked high-end offense and players that could create dynamic moments/scoring chances out of thin air. This is fixed this year while you still have your grinders/worker bees. It's going to be one of the best entries ever.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
When has a team won a game 3 hits to 1 hit?

Those are 3 big boys that will throw the body, but Hudon, Lipon, Huberdeau all play tough, hell even Mackinnon rocks guys consistantly.

Hamilton, Harrington, Oullette, Wortherspoon, Reinhart are all big d men capable of crushing people.

This isnt the 80s anymore...
It's not just hitting - though make no mistake this team will not dominate physically. It's moreso the defensive shutdown ability and board play that Canada usually excels with that I'm concerned about. Danault and Jenner are reliable but they will likely both be centres. Not much as far as shutdown wingers go on this roster. Spott went with pure skill.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Let's come back to the bolded players after the tournament - except for Danault who I think is a shoo in on any team. I feel like these are the types of players that are going to be exposed in this tournament and turn into useless tweeners. If there was ever a year to pick more rugged players with defensive acumen it is in a lockout year. No one is going to shutdown RNH/Huberdeau. Even the 06 team had such high scorers as Jeremy Colliton, Stephen Dixon and Colin Fraser.
Taking defensive guys doesn't work, their defense doesn't end up meaning much but they hold the puck far less and have things like the Russian debacle happen.

Taking skilled guys who are a lot tougher than some people make them out to be, but who also hold the puck a lot wins tournments. Many (Including myself) called Hay a diaster-in-waiting before the tournement, and his style was. Spott knows how international tournements are won in todays game, not the game of 15 years ago like Hay did. Cameron of 2 years ago was similar but he made an effort to take more skilled guys, but ended up cutting the 2 top defensemen in camp (Murray and Murphy), while both of those guys were tearing up their leagues and were much more talented then guys he took.

Which reminds me of that 2011 world junior camp. It was before most people knew who Murphy was, no one around to say he was horrible defensively; at least no one that got taken seriously, and he as well as Murray were the two guys people really had a problem with them not taking. Not to mention many had them slotted together in the top 6, but many now despite Murphy being 10x the defender want him as the 7th.

Closed Thread