HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Tournament Predictions

Old
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Nash

vCash: 500
Now that Canada has named the roster and the coach has seemingly gone far more in the direction of skill and speed over size and hitting, I think we will see 3 scoring lines instead of the traditional checking and energy line. This version of Team Canada is now my favorite to win the tournament. I had Russia first before, so it is still close, but these two teams should meet in the finals if they both play to their potential. It's too bad in a year where Finland and Czech are bringing better than usual rosters that the top two nations are extra stacked this year.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Now that Canada has named the roster and the coach has seemingly gone far more in the direction of skill and speed over size and hitting, I think we will see 3 scoring lines instead of the traditional checking and energy line. This version of Team Canada is now my favorite to win the tournament. I had Russia first before, so it is still close, but these two teams should meet in the finals if they both play to their potential. It's too bad in a year where Finland and Czech are bringing better than usual rosters that the top two nations are extra stacked this year.
I feel like with this roster Canada vs. Russia is going to be a 1980's style 9-7 game. Tons of skill up front with little consideration for defense in the team selections.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
I really like the Finish team.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I feel like with this roster Canada vs. Russia is going to be a 1980's style 9-7 game. Tons of skill up front with little consideration for defense in the team selections.
Almost every forward on Team Canada has great two way hockey. This isn't a team of skilled cherry pickers. They are less defensively focussed overall than usual, but I think that's a good thing. Don Hay forcing Connolly into fourth line checking role minutes sucked. I'd rather be on the offensive as much of the game as possible. Why a nation as deep on talent as Canada is decides to bring an over abundance of checkers each year baffles me. Other teams bring one dedicated checking line. They don't worry about the fourth line as much since they play limited minutes as the medal round comes into play.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Any word on who the Hockey News predicts will win?

I want to buy the WJR edition but everytime I do, after reading their whole 3 pages of coverage I think, "Did I just burn $10?"

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Simply said, you must have slept during the Super Series because you have no idea just how much emphasis Russia is putting on defensive systems since the new coaching. Not just Juniors, but all accross the board.

Not to mention, this years' Russian defenders are much better than last few years overall. Even the forwards are much more balanced with good KHL experience under their belt.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Simply said, you must have slept during the Super Series because you have no idea just how much emphasis Russia is putting on defensive systems since the new coaching. Not just Juniors, but all accross the board.

Not to mention, this years' Russian defenders are much better than last few years overall. Even the forwards are much more balanced with good KHL experience under their belt.
I was thinking the same thing. This isn't the 80's anymore, and nobody is going to blindly throw the puck into the slot and HOPE someone is there. These days you take it into the corner and cycle it for as long as you can. Both of these teams know how to defend and often, good skill on both sides cancels each other out. Not to mention the great goaltending that should be on either team.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

I want to buy the WJR edition but everytime I do, after reading their whole 3 pages of coverage I think, "Did I just burn $10?"

Their previews used to be epic. IMO The Hockey News jumped the shark when they went to the more constraining magazine format. It just gave them less room to work with.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Nothing goes as planned, a team will throw a wrench into the parade of the big 5.

Group A
1. Finland 3-1-0-0 |11 Points
2. Sweden 2-1-1-0 |9 Points
3. Czech Republic 1-0-2-1 |5 Points
4. Switzerland 0-2-0-2 |4 Points
5. Latvia 0-0-1-3 | 1 Point

I made that pretty confusing, but it means:
Quote:
Finland beat Sweden in overtime, and the onther teams in regulation.
Sweden beat Switzerland and Latvia in regulation, the Czech Repulbic in overtime, and lost to Finland in overtime.
Czechs beat Latvia in regulation, lost to Switzerland/Sweden in overtime, and Finland in regulation.
Switzerland beat Czechs and Latvians in overtime, but lost to Sweden and Finland in regulation.
Latvians lost to the Swiss in overtime, and to everyone else in regulation.
Group B
1. Canada 4-0-0-0 |12 Points
2. Russia 2-1-0-1 |8 Points
3. USA 0-2-1-1 |5 Points
4. Slovakia 1-0-1-2 |4 Points
5. Germany 0-0-1-3 |

This means:
Quote:
Canada beat all teams in regulation
Russia beat the US in ovetime, Slovakia and Germany in regulation and lost to Canada in regulation
USA beat Germany and Slovakia in overtime, lost to Russia in overtime, and lost to Canada in regulation
Slovakia beat Germany in regulation, lost to the USA in overtime, and lost to Canada and Russia in regulation
Germany lost to the USA in ovetime and everyone else in regulation
Playoff Round
A2 v B3
USA over Sweden 5-2

B2 v A3
Czech Republic over Russia 2-1

---

A1 v B3
Finland USA 3-2

B1 v A3
Canada over Czech Republic 7-0

---

Bronze Medal
Czech Republic over USA 3-2

Gold Medal
Canada over Finland 8-5

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Descendent*

Yakupov is going to dominate.. that's my prediction.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Garl

Quote:
Any team can beat any team if things just fall into place. Great goaltending alone can do it in a single game. Based on the rosters, I can honestly say that I'd take Russia 9 times out of 10 to beat USA. Can you say the same for the US, or are you predicting a huge upset. Calling a US win over Russia anything less than an upset is seriously poor evaluation of each squad.

As good as I think Canada will be in a lockout year, Russia is the favorite this year. They are more veteran, have 9 returning players from a team that lost the Gold medal in OT, have maybe the two best goalies in the tournament, Yakupov wasn't first overall for nothing and the tournament is on home, international sized ice.

So yes, I think it is bold to not only predict that USA will finish ahead of them, but that then they will also blow the QF in the same year.

The way I see it...

1A Russia
1B Canada

3A Sweden
3B Finland
5 USA
6 Czech
Funny how you're highlighting the fact that Russia has 9 returnees, yet ignoring the fact that Sweden has 6 and would have had 9 if not for the injuries and Ottawa.

Also, while it's 9 players from a team who lost the finals in OT, yet it's 9 players from the team who won 1/4 in OT by an ugly goal against Czechs aswell. They easily could have lost to Czech Republic, they were closer to that than to win the finals.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Funny how you're highlighting the fact that Russia has 9 returnees, yet ignoring the fact that Sweden has 6 and would have had 9 if not for the injuries and Ottawa.

Also, while it's 9 players from a team who lost the finals in OT, yet it's 9 players from the team who won 1/4 in OT by an ugly goal against Czechs aswell. They easily could have lost to Czech Republic, they were closer to that than to win the finals.
The fact that Sweden COULD have brought 9 is completely irrelevant and bringing up the quarterfinal is quite stupid considering its not how you get to the gold medal game, it's that you persevere and make it there. And did you forget that the Russian team went up 6 goals in the semis against a very strong Canadian team?

Bure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
And did you forget that the Russian team went up 6 goals in the semis against a very strong Canadian team?

Old
12-14-2012, 12:52 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Almost every forward on Team Canada has great two way hockey. This isn't a team of skilled cherry pickers. They are less defensively focussed overall than usual, but I think that's a good thing. Don Hay forcing Connolly into fourth line checking role minutes sucked. I'd rather be on the offensive as much of the game as possible. Why a nation as deep on talent as Canada is decides to bring an over abundance of checkers each year baffles me. Other teams bring one dedicated checking line. They don't worry about the fourth line as much since they play limited minutes as the medal round comes into play.
Gotta agree, especially with the Connolly comment, that was frustrating to watch. Sometimes Hockey Canada over thinks this tournament. The other thing is that they don't need to roll four lines at the end of the games that they need a goal, just go with two lines. All these players do it with their regular teams.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:54 AM
timekeep

Canada,
Russia,
Sweden or Finland

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Also, while it's 6 players from a team who won the finals in OT, yet it's 6 players from the team who won the 1/2 in a Shoot out against Finland aswell. They easily could have lost to Finland and possibly not medalled.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Dynamo81

For me it is
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Finland

Canada is heavy favorites however the 4 matches between Canada and Russia in the challenge in August (Which ended with 2 wins each) shows that the gap between the two is not that big. Finland has a fantastic team, dark horses and I as I have said previously they can spoil it for either Russia or Canada this year. I can see a lot of tightly contested matches this year.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Nothing goes as planned, a team will throw a wrench into the parade of the big 5.

Group A
1. Finland 3-1-0-0 |11 Points
2. Sweden 2-1-1-0 |9 Points
3. Czech Republic 1-0-2-1 |5 Points
4. Switzerland 0-2-0-2 |4 Points
5. Latvia 0-0-1-3 | 1 Point

I made that pretty confusing, but it means:

Group B
1. Canada 4-0-0-0 |12 Points
2. Russia 2-1-0-1 |8 Points
3. USA 0-2-1-1 |5 Points
4. Slovakia 1-0-1-2 |4 Points
5. Germany 0-0-1-3 |

This means:

Playoff Round
A2 v B3
USA over Sweden 5-2

B2 v A3
Czech Republic over Russia 2-1

---

A1 v B3
Finland USA 3-2

B1 v A3
Canada over Czech Republic 7-0

---

Bronze Medal
Czech Republic over USA 3-2

Gold Medal
Canada over Finland 8-5
If this happened the semis would be A1 v. A3, and B1 v. B3. The bracket is designed to make it A1 v. B2 so if A3 upsets B2, then it's A1 v. A3, and same for the other side

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Nash

Quote:

The 3 you are missing, especially the D are a huge loss. Of your returnees, how many are first line impact players? You have said in a previous post in this thread that some are returning depth players. Grigerenko and Yakupov alone are two hugely important impact returnees and are top ten forwards in this tournament.

I get it that you feel insulted that a defending gold medal country isn't a consensus top two favorite. But as this tournament has such a high turnover of players each year, past success isn't always a barometer. However, 9 of 22 roster players is pretty significant. It's almost half the roster, including probably the two best goalies last year. You are correct that Russia got outplayed last year, and could have lost to the Czechs as well. You have to realize that outside of the Latvia and Slovakia wins that Sweden won two shoot outs and two OT games. That isn't very dominant. Yes you out shot and had better possession in those games. Did all 3 teams in those 4 games just have the most amazing combination of goaltending ever seen against a single opponent or was Sweden shooting from everywhere and not too accurately to boot? It worked, you won gold. Be happy about it. I don't see a repeat though, but good luck.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
1. Sweden/Russia
2. ^
3. Finland

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

They probably have Switzerland finishing above Finland again.

Last edited by Muuri: 12-14-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:42 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I really like the Finish team.
I said it from of the end of last year, I think they make the final.

Its not just Barkov, Teuvu and Armia. There also is Granlund and Salomaki returning up front.
Returning on D they have Ristolainen, Maata, Pokka (who were all 17 last time around).

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:05 AM
Huffman

I see many are predicting a Finland win against Sweden. Keep in mind they have lost 21 straight games against our U20 team and not won since 2007. They have already lost 3 this year though a few of the best players from both teams were missing. Many of their core players were also on the U18-team from last season, they also failed to beat the Swedish team in 4 tries. Finland will have a very good team that could beat anyone but they seem to have big problems against Sweden just like Sweden have problems beating the US.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:26 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

wow, are people in this thread serious? Finland wont win against us, it will be something like 7-3 in favor of the swedes.

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
wow, are people in this thread serious? Finland wont win against us, it will be something like 7-3 in favor of the swedes.
I have Sweden ranked ahead of Finland, but could see an upset.

Why so incredulous? Maybe people remember 2 OT & 2 SO wins for Sweden last year. Finland was pretty young last year and should be better...I hope they have worked on not losing the puck on a shoot out attempt. Poor Granlund.