HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I don't think scoring was ever going to be a problem with 4 of the top 5 players in the tournament in Canada's top six forwards. I respect the disciplined approach with the refs overseas hence leaving Wilson off. This is the type of team that will cause heart attacks trying to play with leads late in close games. Hopefully they have an ample lead built up before that time which is very possible with all this firepower.
That's why you bring as many skilled players. Try to build the lead and hold on lol It's also about time our goalies started showing up in these tournaments. Way too many flops lately. Roy was horrendous a few years back, Visentin..yikes. Wedgewood..

Old
12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Only us Canadians would debate a gold medal winning team..
Pretty much. I don't like the team but it's still easily the front runner for gold in my opinion, at least on paper. With Hamilton, Strome, RNH, Scheifele and Huberdeau Canada has 5 of the best 6 players in the entire tournament (Yakupov being the other one). They have the best top end talent and they always have the best depth. If they can come together as a team and avoid a goalie going absolute lights out they will win gold.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
I am the only person who is even close to being on your side in this discussion. Heatley was garbage for the vast majority of the tournament...
But he was one of the reasons the Russians did nothing in the semis

Old
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Nash

Wow. Some people on here are actually freaking out about a lack of grinders?!? We will probably have the best checking line in the tournament. As for the rest, we have many skilled guys who also cycle well, which is a strength we always want. Maybe we won't relentlessly pound teams and we might not be suited to spend two periods defending a one goal lead, but that's not the only way to play hockey. I know it's a foreign concept to some Hockey Canada minds, but when you have great offense and are playing well, the best defense is to keep your foot on the pedal.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Wow. Some people on here are actually freaking out about a lack of grinders?!? We will probably have the best checking line in the tournament. As for the rest, we have many skilled guys who also cycle well, which is a strength we always want. Maybe we won't relentlessly pound teams and we might not be suited to spend two periods defending a one goal lead, but that's not the only way to play hockey. I know it's a foreign concept to some Hockey Canada minds, but when you have great offense and are playing well, the best defense is to keep your foot on the pedal.
I'm not talking about Hanson brother hockey here. Who will be put in front of the net?? Drouin hudon lion ?? Who?? Who will go get the puck from the corner? mackinnon ?? Rnh ? This team is relying to much on rnh. Team Canada relied on lindros during the 1992 ANC and almost got relegated. Fooooolls at hockey Canada

Old
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 0
It didn't matter who Canada picked today people are going to complain regardless. I actually like the makeup of the team and like our chances for Gold.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Very nice team. Would have liked to see Shinker though.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Is it just me or on the "WJC: Deeply Disappointed" video on tsn.ca, Shinkaruk looks like Kessel..

Old
12-13-2012, 08:59 PM
tempest2i
Fitter Happier

I'm good with the cuts that were made. Better to have a defensive D when you have goaltending that isn't totally trustworthy.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Atomos2
Vezina Reimer

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I'm not talking about Hanson brother hockey here. Who will be put in front of the net?? Drouin hudon lion ?? Who?? Who will go get the puck from the corner? mackinnon ?? Rnh ? This team is relying to much on rnh. Team Canada relied on lindros during the 1992 ANC and almost got relegated. Fooooolls at hockey Canada
Umm...yeah Mackinnon. Haven't you been watching. Mackinnon has been one of the most aggressive forwards and has been relentless on the puck

Old
12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
The forwards on Team Canada are basically HF's wet dream. Basically the most skilled yet undersized players in the country while taking no consideration for defense or physicality. We will see if it pays off but one thing is for sure: they will be fun to watch.
i have been wanting this type of team and never thought in my wildest dream that they would drop the top 6/bottom 6.
I said earlier this was the year to do it. Lets see if it works.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
spfan

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Hudon-Scheifele-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Lipon

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Oullet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Binnington
Paterson

Old
12-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Stats01

Quote:
I don't think scoring was ever going to be a problem with 4 of the top 5 players in the tournament in Canada's top six forwards. I respect the disciplined approach with the refs overseas hence leaving Wilson off. This is the type of team that will cause heart attacks trying to play with leads late in close games. Hopefully they have an ample lead built up before that time which is very possible with all this firepower.
That's why you bring as many skilled players. Try to build the lead and hold on lol

Old
12-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
i have been wanting this type of team and never thought in my wildest dream that they would drop the top 6/bottom 6.
I said earlier this was the year to do it. Lets see if it works.
Exactly, the whole top 6/ bottom 6 philosophy is old. I'm not saying get rid of physicality all together but you need some freakin skill on all 4 lines now-a-days. I like the mix of this team, especially on the big ice surface. If this was played in Canada I'd probably want a bit more sandpaper..maybe..still this team kicks ass. Like I said earlier to someone, you have to go into each tournament differently

Old
12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Hudon-Scheifele-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Lipon

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Oullet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Binnington
Paterson
You truly believe Jenner will be on 4th line and 2 17 year olds on 2nd line?????
Wow and I bet you love this team???
Did mackinnon dominate at this years Ivan hlinka tournament except for that last game???

Old
12-13-2012, 09:17 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Hudon-Scheifele-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Lipon

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Oullet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Binnington
Paterson
I would think that Spott would put Ritchie and Strome together on a line. The reason being is that they already play together on Niagara and with such a short tournament, some comfort level is there. I relate it to what Team Canada did with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Already played on a line and kept them together throughout the Olympics.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:19 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Pretty much. I don't like the team but it's still easily the front runner for gold in my opinion, at least on paper. With Hamilton, Strome, RNH, Scheifele and Huberdeau Canada has 5 of the best 6 players in the entire tournament (Yakupov being the other one). They have the best top end talent and they always have the best depth. If they can come together as a team and avoid a goalie going absolute lights out they will win gold.
Galchenyuk?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
CrosKinnon

Quote:
You truly believe Jenner will be on 4th line and 2 17 year olds on 2nd line?????
Did mackinnon dominate at this years Ivan hlinka tournament except for that last game???
Ah yea? Didnt he put up the most points in the tournamnet?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
That's why you bring as many skilled players. Try to build the lead and hold on lol
What happened in the SSS ?? Quebec vs the Russians? High scoring games. You don't win wjc with high scoring but with great D !!!!! So they won 1 game.... Whoopsie doo. This is not the oilers of the 80s. Rnh is no Gretzky there is no messier on this team.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Atomos2
Vezina Reimer

vCash: 543
Quote:
Great logic. Did Dustin Brown dominate last year except for in the playoffs

Old
12-13-2012, 09:23 PM
spfan

Quote:
Well Jenner could be on the 3rd line, but so much competition.
MacKinnon would be useless in the bottom 6 so....

Old
12-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Novak Djokovic
#11 and counting...

Quote:
What happened in the SSS ?? Quebec vs the Russians? High scoring games. You don't win wjc with high scoring but with great D !!!!! So they won 1 game.... Whoopsie doo. This is not the oilers of the 80s. Rnh is no Gretzky there is no messier on this team.
Well, they did in 2009.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I would think that Spott would put Ritchie and Strome together on a line. The reason being is that they already play together on Niagara and with such a short tournament, some comfort level is there. I relate it to what Team Canada did with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Already played on a line and kept them together throughout the Olympics.
Hall didn't end up playing with Henrique and Nemisz at the end, if a better player than Ritchie finds chemistry with Strome off the bat I don't doubt they get split up. Ritchie can more than hold his own as a banger on another line and still be a contributor without Strome.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Only teams with more grit than Canada is probably the US and the Finns.

We'll be fine.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Nash

Quote:
In front of the net? Hmm...who is going to move Ritchie? Jenner? Even Strome and Scheifele aren't small. You mention MacKinnon and RNH and getting pucks out of the corners. Their board work is fantastic. Do you know anything about these players? This isn't a small roster:

Front
Anthony Camara 6'1 195
Phillip Danault 6'0 189
Jonathan Drouin 5'10 .5 185
Jonathan Huberdeau 6'1 176
Charles Hudon 5'11 171
Boone Jenner 6'2 205
JC Lipon 5'11 .5 180
Nathan MacKinnon 5'11 179
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6'0 185
Ty Rattie 6'0 176
Brett Ritchie 6'4 218
Mark Scheifele 6'3 187
Ryan Strome 6'1 192

Team Russia
Average height of forwards in camp is 6'1" and weight is 179 pounds.

Team USA
Average height of forwards in camp is 6' and weight is 193 pounds.
We certainly don't have anyone this small:
John Gaudreau 5'9" 150
Rocco Grimaldi 5'6" 165
They also have two defenseman that weight 167 and 168

Team Sweden
Average height of forwards in camp is 6'.5 and weight is 185 pounds.

So please tell me who exactly are we supposed to be intimidated by and overpowered by? Sure there are a few big guys out there like Biggs, but Canada is not a small team. Stop panicking.

Closed Thread