HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edler + Schneider

Old
12-13-2012, 07:27 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I know , but as an Oiler fan I hate the Canucks and can not bring myself to offer much . Also they are not going to get much for an unsigned Edler and i would not trade Yakupov for Schneider .
In all honesty, I highly doubt any trade involving Edler would happen without the team speaking to him first. Any time I see a Edler trade, I automatically would assume the trade would be contingent on the basis that the GM of said team would be able to speak and or negotiate with Edler before a trade would happen. Also the trade would have to happen way before free agency, so there is an advantage for the team dealing with Gillis to even make the trade and not just wait it out and sign him to free agency.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:37 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
how bout we don't trade Edler

ok? thanks!

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy
Ryder + Halak + 2nd?
Quote:
Is this a joke? Ryder and Halak don't play on the same team?

Are you 12?
Well played.

Mailbox Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
I lol'd

In this equation Elder is essentially a playoff rental, so no Canuck fans will like the return. What comparable dmen have gone as deadline rentals? However, when guys like quincey and gaustad go for 1sts you have to figure Edler would be more, even if a rental
Quincey was a RFA and I think most agree Nashville overpaid for Gaustad. But it was a special situation where they had to show Suter and Weber that the team was going for it, in hopes of keeping them around.

Edler as a rental would probably fetch a 1st from a contending team, but I can't see much more added.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:53 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
how bout we don't trade Edler

ok? thanks!
yeah he'l just have to settle for 4.6-5mil or so as a home town discount.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Quincey was a RFA and I think most agree Nashville overpaid for Gaustad. But it was a special situation where they had to show Suter and Weber that the team was going for it, in hopes of keeping them around.

Edler as a rental would probably fetch a 1st from a contending team, but I can't see much more added.
A first does us no favor. We'd want assets back that we can use to patch other holes if Edler is being moved. Just a thought from our side.

Edler = Gaustad is what you're saying? Yes, circumstances forced Poiles hand, but just a first at the deadline? Edler gets no love around here man. No love.

And an RFA Quincey wouldn't, on any planet, be worth Edler as a deadline rental. Look at other high profile players on the last year of a contract before UFA...I mean guys like Kovalchuk are much more valuable then Edler, comparing apples to apples, but if anyone thinks that a top pairing D, again as a rental, will fetch the same as an RFA top 4 (using the term loosely) Dman, I don't think anyones on the same page here then.

Edler is easily top 20 as a defender in this league, and I'd value him more then any other defender we have, if apples are apples.

Not to say we should expect the moon for a potentially UFA player we have every intention of resigning, but we should just keep him unless a team wants to pay what we need for him.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Edler
Conditional 1st if he doesn't resign

Stewart
Conditional 3rd if he does resign

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Edler

Stewart
Not a good deal for Vancouver. Pass.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Quote:
Edler

Stewart
Wait... are the Canucks getting the conditional 1st if Stewart doesn't resign? Or the conditional 3rd? Which way are the picks going...

Mailbox Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:59 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I highly doubt Vancouver would move him at the deadline regardless...they are a lock to at least make the playoffs and will need him once there. They'll roll the dice and try to resign him for sure. If not, his rights become worth a 4th rd pick probably?

However...

If he was signed, we're looking at the Brent Burns Trade at a bare minimum. As an impending UFA, he returned a top six fwd, albeit a low ranking one by all counts, a B prospect and a late first.

Your probably looking at the frame work of that trade...except better. A forward that is a solid second liner, not one that struggles there, an A prospect, not blue chip by any means, but a really good one and a 1st rd...and depending on where that is probably a 2nd as well. You could do a top four defensemen as well.

Thats just for Edler.

As for Schneider...probably a top line fwd, or something similar to the edler package.

From the jets, fair value(not saying i would do it...but for the sake of value and because it is the team i am the most familiar with)

E.Kane, Burmistrov, Klingberg/Kosmachuk, 1st, 2nd.

Once again...not saying id do it...but i think thats pretty fair value.
This.

It's unlikely any team is willing to load up a package for these players and visa-versa from Vancouver. These enormous blockbusters just don't happen but if a trade of Schneider and Edler were to go down, it would be an enormous return.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Edler

Stewart
That's absolutely terribad. I wouldn't give a 1st for Stewart alone.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
CarvinSigX

What if the Blues pick was a 1st or a good prospect?

Edit: What has to be added from the Blues?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
A mid to late 1st for a 26 year old dman that has scored at a 50 point clip over the last 3 years that has star potential?

Yikes. Not even close.

Edler would command a kings's ransom, regardless of his contract status. Dmen of his ilk are almost never made available. Especially at his age.

I don't see any reason why Edler would leave Vancouver. He'll be re-signed.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
What if the Blues pick was a 1st or a good prospect?

Edit: What has to be added from the Blues?
T.J. Oshie or Patrick Berglund would need to be part of the package for Gillis to listen IMO. Without them, the Canucks have no incentive to move Edler. Vancouver is looking to win a cup - you don't move a 25:00 a night dman if that is your goal.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:33 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
T.J. Oshie or Patrick Berglund would need to be part of the package for Gillis to listen IMO. Without them, the Canucks have no incentive to move Edler. Vancouver is looking to win a cup - you don't move a 25:00 a night dman if that is your goal.
Let's assume Vancouver can't afford him due to the cap. They decide they'd like to retool the team a bit and Edler could do that, even if they have to do it. Edler says he'll sign in St. Louis. Is this even close to getting talks going?

Vancouver
Edler

St. Louis
Stewart
Cole
Rattie/Jaskin

Old
12-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Let's assume Vancouver can't afford him due to the cap. They decide they'd like to retool the team a bit and Edler could do that, even if they have to do it. Edler says he'll sign in St. Louis. Is this even close to getting talks going?

Vancouver
Edler

St. Louis
Stewart
Cole
Rattie/Jaskin
If we absolutely had to trade him, that's probably fair, but I don't think that's the case here. I think other teams might be able to make a better offer, though, in terms of pieces invovled.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

Vancouver
Edler

St. Louis
Stewart
Cole
Rattie/Jaskin
I wouldn't do it without 1 of Oshie or Berglund in the deal. The Canucks needs are at 3rd line centre and 2nd line RW.

That package makes the Canucks worse in the short term. That isn't the type of deal a cup contender looks at...

Old
12-13-2012, 09:39 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If we absolutely had to trade him, that's probably fair, but I don't think that's the case here. I think other teams might be able to make a better offer, though, in terms of pieces invovled.
Yeah, that would be in line with what I would expect. Follows the formula from the Burns trade pretty nicely. Could switch Cole/Rattie for a 1st too. I would still try and shop him for a more quality piece, but I would be happy with this type of deal if I couldn't get one.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
palindrom

Let's at least determine this:

Vancouver by this trade would want to rebuild or to make a cup run?

Then we can determine the kind of return they are looking for.

And, especially in Edler case, i think the right timing is the deadline.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:11 PM
StringerBell

If it were to happen, as unlikely as it is, we would be looking to retool on the fly.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
It would be because the cap dropped significantly and they couldn't afford to keep him, nothing to do with spending to the cap. They'll spend to the cap with or without him.

If he was traded before the season I would expect a return similar to Burns, but slightly less due to the shortened season. He returned a #6/7 forward, good prospect and a 1st. Therefore I don't really see where the logic of picks/grinders comes in.
It seems to me that the Flyers would have similar cap constraints / concerns, no?

There is no realistic scenario where the Flyers acquire Edler via trade.

If he makes it to free agency....after Timonen retires? That's a very different situation?

As to the 2nd liner + prospect + 1st / 2nd. That's probably fair. Burns is a decent comparable.

But that's a long way from Couturier + Voracek + 1st.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:17 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
It seems to me that the Flyers would have similar cap constraints / concerns, no?

If he makes it to free agency....after Timonen retires? That's a very different situation?

As to the 2nd liner + prospect + 1st / 2nd. That's probably fair. Burns is a decent comparable.

More familiar than you are with the contents of my post you quoted. I never mentioned the Flyers once.

And nice ninja edit there.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

That was what I would be looking for with Schneider included.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
More familiar than you are with the contents of my post you quoted. I never mentioned the Flyers once.

And nice ninja edit there.
Not sure it was a "ninja edit." Re-reading what I posted, it seemed a bit catty, so I softened it.

I'm just not seeing how the Flyers would be in a significantly different situation as it relates to the Caps than the Canucks. If that's the case, they wouldn't be able to afford Edler, and thus would not be inclined to offer any sort of absurd overpayment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
That was what I would be looking for with Schneider included.
I realize that. Still seems a pretty significant overpayment. Even if you assume Voracek straight-up is a fair offer for Schneider (I don't think you would find a single Flyers fan who would do that), it still leaves Couturier + 1st for Edler as a rental.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I don't see any reason why Edler would leave Vancouver. He'll be re-signed.
Maybe he'll want to join the Red Wings Swedish community, that is better than Canucks Swedish community. Better köttbullar.

Time to fix this thing that went wrong at 2004 draft.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote