Around The League - Hockey is back!

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I hope so. They're so close but both sides are too stubborn to move a little bit.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:59 PM
DarthYenik

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...on-nhl-lockout

Not sure how this would effect the players since they're mostly non-American, and I think most if not all of the owners are probably Republican.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:09 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post

Not sure how this would effect the players since they're mostly non-American, and I think most if not all of the owners are probably Republican.
Implying all rich people are republicans. Most well to do people I know voted democrat this year.

And this won't effect anything. He already said the same thing on Leno a few months ago.

Last edited by DuckJet: 12-14-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 02:50 AM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post

How's that budget going Obama?

Can you do right by your tax payers? Government makes a lot of money you make a lot of money, so do right by your tax payers. I say, you can figure out how to spread out a bunch of taxes.

Yes, I took his quotes in the article and reworded them. I just don't get why Obama even talks about this topic and makes it seem so simple, when he hasn't help create a budget since 2009. Not trying to get into politics, just saying why is he even talking about this?

Old
12-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Exit Dose

The president is often asked about things that aren't directly under his control. That said, labor disputes can find their way into presidential politics; such as Reagan and the 'air traffic controllers' strike.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
The president is often asked about things that aren't directly under his control. That said, labor disputes can find their way into presidential politics; such as Reagan and the 'air traffic controllers' strike.
Ah yes, but that was directly about federal government employees. Whether or not one agrees with how Reagan handled it, it was his job to handle it. Unless the US plans to nationalize the NHL I'm thinking Obama has bigger fish to fry than to worry about sports.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Ah yes, but that was directly about federal government employees. Whether or not one agrees with how Reagan handled it, it was his job to handle it. Unless the US plans to nationalize the NHL I'm thinking Obama has bigger fish to fry than to worry about sports.
I don't think giving an opinion about a major labor dispute is keeping him from performing his job.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
I don't think giving an opinion about a major labor dispute is keeping him from performing his job.
It does make him look like a hypocrite when he's engaged in a similar pissing match with much larger consequences, however.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
It does make him look like a hypocrite when he's engaged in a similar pissing match with much larger consequences, however.
Let's get back to the topic.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Let's get back to the topic.
That's BEEN the topic here today

So, the NHLPA is authorizing the NHLPA to vote on the disclaimer of interest - has anyone seen hard data on what % needs to vote aye to disclaim? I personally think between the hard liners who want $$ and the grinders/Hamrlik who want to be done with the Fehr show there would likely be enough to pass. .

Old
12-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
That's BEEN the topic here today

So, the NHLPA is authorizing the NHLPA to vote on the disclaimer of interest - has anyone seen hard data on what % needs to vote aye to disclaim? I personally think between the hard liners who want $$ and the grinders/Hamrlik who want to be done with the Fehr show there would likely be enough to pass. .
If that's the option where the union leadership more or less quits representing the players I don't think there is a set % because technically it would not be the player's option. If the players have any say in the decision I would think it would invalidate the legality of the decision. The courts would potentially see it as nothing more than a negotiating ploy and the players would likely lose any suits they would bring afterwards...assuming I haven't mixed this up with something else I read somewhere.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
War's on.

Quote:
NHL filed a Class Action Complaint in Federal Court in New York seeking a Declaration confirming the ongoing legality of the lockout.
Quote:
NHL also filed charge w/NLRB alleging threat of disclaiming interest means PA is bargaining in bad faith under National Labor Relations Act.
https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/279706277247074304

Old
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Exit Dose

Swell.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
DarthYenik

I hate these people. Just everyone involved.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Exit Dose

http://frozenroyalty.net/2012/12/15/...-frustrations/
There's audio at the end from Getzlaf. I'll admit that his comments make me a little worried.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Anything can happen but I don't think Getz' comments at the end mean too much.

Even if he is declared a UFA the day they sign a new CBA I'm sure he will still talk to the Ducks before signing anywhere else. Having an exclusive window is nice but it isn't like he doesn't know somebody would offer him more than the Ducks. If there is an exclusive window and he wants those offers for leverage he will just wait anyway.

I think the key is the Ducks have to offer him a good (read - big) deal to make sure he knows he's wanted. If BM tries to go cheap during an exclusive window he might just cook his own goose.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Murray isn't the guy who is cheap, his strategy is based on the budget he is given. If the owner, who may or may not know there is a lockout, wants to lowball Getzlaf, then I truly believe the franchise's time in Anaheim is counting down.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Paul4587

If it comes down to losing a season, Getzlaf and Perry would be stupid not to wait and test the market. What do they lose by doing so? They'll be the best free agents out there.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I still like Charlie Finley's idea during the early years of free agency in baseball. You want free agency? Fine. Every player becomes a UFA every year. No more multi-year contracts. Earn your keep every year. Those who do, get paid well, those who don't, don't. No more parlaying one good year into a ridiculous long term contract.

Oh how much fun that would be to watch as a fan.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
I'm numb from all of this rhetoric and false hope. At this point, I don't care if they play this season.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I'm numb from all of this rhetoric and false hope. At this point, I don't care if they play this season.
I am feeling like this for a good few months.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

A good Getzlaf interview. I just wish someone would spell out to him how the NHLPA offers actually have never been close due to all the poison pills.

Quote:
I'm not confident at all. I've tried to be confident through this whole thing and the fact is it seems every time we try to come close, they push away. So, until they're willing to come close, then there is nothing to be positive about. It's a sad truth, but that's a fact. Unless they have a timeline that I don't know about, that their all the sudden one day say ‘okay, we'll try and work it out', then, until then, it's not looking great.
This is good though

Quote:
On his contract expiring at the end of this 'season' and the fans being concerned:

Yeah and so am I. It's a huge concern for me and I'm sure it is for our management and everybody because our team is going to be in a tough situation when it comes July 1st and if this lockout goes as long as it does. I'm sure there are a few other teams like that around the league but my main objective has always been to stay here in Orange County. I love it here. This is where my family is and hope to be. But you know, that's one of those things where hopefully I can get worked out where I have a chance to talk to them before the free agent market hits.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
But you know, that's one of those things where hopefully I can get worked out where I have a chance to talk to them before the free agent market hits.
This makes no sense at all. Is the new CBA going to have a Getzlaf clause that forces him to sign elsewhere if the Ducks don't get an exclusive window?

Old
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
This makes no sense at all. Is the new CBA going to have a Getzlaf clause that forces him to sign elsewhere if the Ducks don't get an exclusive window?
I think he could mean that it would be more tempting for him to sign elsewhere if he got to the stage where he could test the market straight away. That's the way I interpreted it anyway.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Exit Dose

There's talk of more games being canceled this week. I think I've finally reached a state of zen with this crap. I don't care about having an NHL season. I'm far more excited to see the WJCs mixed in with some Admirals games.

Cancel them all.

Closed Thread