HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
  #501
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 22,987
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Apparently it's a new rule this year, something about putting your hand over the puck.
Ah... Initially I thought it was for tripping from the fuzzy replay.

3 - CHI Ebbett, 19:50 - Delay of game - Faceoff violation, (76.4) 2 min (PP)

me2 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM
  #502
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 50
He held the puck.

Ugh. That game was a downer to watch.

Kassian looks like an AHL player, it's terrible to say, but those who have been watching the Wolves games can't really deny it. He fits in at the AHL level, and that's it. ****ing depressing seeing these "prospects".

Thank goodness for Corrado, Gaunce, and Jensen.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
  #503
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
hey guys, have been missing the last few games, how has archibald looked, a player of his size contributing is a VERY good thing

i watched one game where i watched him closely and he looked real good but that was just one game..

what are peoples opinions of him and his limitations?
Big, works hard, good shot, average skating but has done better to keep his feet moving lately, good hitter. Not particularly creative but has potential as an NHL 3rd liner. Not the greatest passer, probably needs to improve a little bit.

Good on the PP but needs to stay in the game better at times. Noticed several times today he wasn't ready for a pass — there was one time where Schroeder made a heavy cross-crease pass to him for a one-timer and Archibald seemed to be daydreaming as he didn't even get his stick on the ice in time to receive it, let alone shoot it. Other times seemed to be surprised to be getting a pass on the breakout.

Honestly, hard to find a lot to criticize about a guy that has 4 goals in 6 games. He has certainly earned them, not flukey at all.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
  #504
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Big, works hard, good shot, average skating but has done better to keep his feet moving lately, good hitter. Not particularly creative but has potential as an NHL 3rd liner. Not the greatest passer, probably needs to improve a little bit.

Good on the PP but needs to stay in the game better at times. Noticed several times today he wasn't ready for a pass — there was one time where Schroeder made a heavy cross-crease pass to him for a one-timer and Archibald seemed to be daydreaming as he didn't even get his stick on the ice in time to receive it, let alone shoot it. Other times seemed to be surprised to be getting a pass on the breakout.

Honestly, hard to find a lot to criticize about a guy that has 4 goals in 6 games. He has certainly earned them, not flukey at all.
How is his actual stick handling , does he handle it and shoot it like a player with stone hands who is limited to a third line? can he lift up the puck well when he shoots? or does he just swat at it like alot of grinders

hansen is an example, i feel players on the third line like burrows and hansen who dont just swat at it and have a good handle on the puck typically have a chance at breaking out from that 3rd line mold

I noticed in the game i watched him closely in, the guy was always going to the net and that was impressive

Pseudonymous* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  #505
Lundface*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
He held the puck.

Ugh. That game was a downer to watch.

Kassian looks like an AHL player, it's terrible to say, but those who have been watching the Wolves games can't really deny it. He fits in at the AHL level, and that's it. ****ing depressing seeing these "prospects".

Thank goodness for Corrado, Gaunce, and Jensen.
Gaunce hasn't exactly been lighting it up. (holy crap just noticed Zharkov's numbers..I guess its hard to gauge how well Gaunce is doing) Jensen and Corrado have been doing well on the other hand, which is nice to see.

I'd rank them Jensen, Kassian, Lack, Corrado, Schroeder

Lots of guys in our system look like they have stopped progressing...Sauve, Rodin, Sweatt, Connauton and I'm sure theres more.

Can't say I'm overly excited for this teams future...hopefully the Sedins last a long time

Lundface* is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  #506
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
How is his actual stick handling , does he handle it and shoot it like a player with stone hands who is limited to a third line? can he lift up the puck well when he shoots? or does he just swat at it like alot of grinders

I noticed in the game i watched him closely in, the guy was always going to the net and that was impressive
His shot is good, he can certainly lift it. I wouldn't say he 'swats' at it. Stickhandling outside of that? Grinder level, but I don't know that you can expect more from a big guy like him.

He does all the things coaches tell him to and works hard. Includes going to the net. I think the test will be consistency. As an example, Longpre was getting crowned as the next Burrows 2 games into the season but hasn't shown anything near that level of play since.

We'll see. I'm not a huge fan of making statements about players based on small sample sizes. Pretty much anyone at this level can put together an amazing 5 games once a season but that doesn't speak to their overall ability.

---

As far as breaking out of 3rd line mold, I don't think it will ever happen. His skating is not there and he doesn't have the hockey IQ for it. His tools are not Top 6 material either. He's very much a coach's player in that he'll do exactly what you tell him to — no more, no less. That makes him great as a Bottom 6 guy but it doesn't lend itself to Top 6.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 11:16 PM
  #507
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Gaunce hasn't exactly been lighting it up. (holy crap just noticed Zharkov's numbers..I guess its hard to gauge how well Gaunce is doing) Jensen and Corrado have been doing well on the other hand, which is nice to see.

I'd rank them Jensen, Kassian, Lack, Corrado, Schroeder

Lots of guys in our system look like they have stopped progressing...Sauve, Rodin, Sweatt, Connauton and I'm sure theres more.

Can't say I'm overly excited for this teams future...hopefully the Sedins last a long time
Blame Arniel. Notice how Jensen and Corrado have been doing well. Notice how they're not coached by Arniel.

Samzilla is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
  #508
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Blame Arniel. Notice how Jensen and Corrado have been doing well. Notice how they're not coached by Arniel.
Ya Arniel should be gone before long.

Not like it would be hard to get another coach into the Nucks system.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
  #509
Buffalo In A Carwash
Registered User
 
Buffalo In A Carwash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quesnel
Country: Canada
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
He held the puck.

Ugh. That game was a downer to watch.

Kassian looks like an AHL player, it's terrible to say, but those who have been watching the Wolves games can't really deny it. He fits in at the AHL level, and that's it. ****ing depressing seeing these "prospects".

Thank goodness for Corrado, Gaunce, and Jensen.
One bad game for Kass and he's not an NHL player anymore...

And I think most fans who've been watching the wolves would disagree with your statement.

Buffalo In A Carwash is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:39 AM
  #510
deckercky
Registered User
 
deckercky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Archibald is exactly what Canucks need on the bottom six left wing position. A big, skilled power forward that is willing to drop the gloves and bang. Canucks are have a bright future ahead of them with Kassian, Jensen, and Archibald.
Really hope Archibald turns out. Kassian and Jensen create a roadblock on the right side, but we didn't have a lot developing on left wing. Hopefully he can develop offensively into a 2nd/3rd line tweener like Higgins, as he could be a great piece to have available.

deckercky is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:43 AM
  #511
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Yep, we needed someone in the system to step up at LW this year. I thought Rodin would be the one, unfortunately it hasn't happened. Whether or not it will remains to be seen, though he's got to start scoring more. At this point I don't think he's going to beat out Kassian and Jensen for the top 6 RW spots, so he'd have to make it at LW too.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:53 AM
  #512
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,686
vCash: 500
Jensen can play both wings, and has done so for AIK this season. Actually looking at his goals this season, most of them seemed to be scored while playing LW, although some are hard to determine. But fact is, Jensen can play both wings and is comfortable in doing so.

Jevo is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:16 AM
  #513
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yep, we needed someone in the system to step up at LW this year. I thought Rodin would be the one, unfortunately it hasn't happened. Whether or not it will remains to be seen, though he's got to start scoring more. At this point I don't think he's going to beat out Kassian and Jensen for the top 6 RW spots, so he'd have to make it at LW too.
I agree, a LW or C would be optimal for our 1st rounder, or perhaps if one of the D predicted for the top 15 drops to us we should snag them up. I love the thought of getting Anthony Mantha on our team.

My optimum though would be winning the 4th pick in the lottery with a certain team in Ontario's pick which we received for a certain French-Italian goaltender and drafting Elias Lindholm. Not getting my hopes up though, this draft is so good I'll be happy as long as we take BPA.

Hansen 36 is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:34 AM
  #514
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the lines right now. Ebbett and Kassian don't have the best chemistry, whereas Schroeder and Kassian have a bit more.

Haydar despite his 2 points was still crap at ES and shouldn't be getting so much playing time, especially on the 1st PP unit.

Archibald and Sterling seemed to play OK together.

Sweatt needs to be more consistent, good effort today but needs to bring it every night.

Arniel...

Looks like Haydar and Ebbett is his Rome and Byron Ritchie

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:43 AM
  #515
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Jensen can play both wings, and has done so for AIK this season. Actually looking at his goals this season, most of them seemed to be scored while playing LW, although some are hard to determine. But fact is, Jensen can play both wings and is comfortable in doing so.
Which side has he been used more on? For a goal-scorer you would think it'd be the right as he shoots left.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:44 AM
  #516
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Which side has he been used more on? For a goal-scorer you would think it'd be the right as he shoots left.
He's played LW for most if not all of the season.

Hansen 36 is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:08 AM
  #517
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
He's played LW for most if not all of the season.
I see. Is it because they're stronger at RW?

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 05:43 AM
  #518
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I see. Is it because they're stronger at RW?


I tend to think of Jensen as more of a RW that can play LW, than the opposite.


Notice some people are questioning Schroeder's skill level? If this guy isn't skilled he doesn't sniff the 1st round in 2009. Skill-wise, he's right there with anyone. However, on offense he tends to want to slow the game down - when he should be attacking players more with his opportunities. That's what separates him from the like of Briere and St. Louis. He plays a passive offensive game more often than not. It's great when you have very capable wingers, but not great when you don't, as we've seen with his assist totals.


He's got to continue to be more aggressive one on one. That's when it will finally click for this guy. When it will finally come together for him.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
  #519
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 833
News1130Sports:
Quote:
#Chicago Wolves gm Wendel Young says Eddie Lack and Steve Pinizzotto are out till after x-mas with groin issues.
I hope they're okay by the time they come to Abby.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
  #520
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yep, we needed someone in the system to step up at LW this year. I thought Rodin would be the one, unfortunately it hasn't happened. Whether or not it will remains to be seen, though he's got to start scoring more. At this point I don't think he's going to beat out Kassian and Jensen for the top 6 RW spots, so he'd have to make it at LW too.
Rodin was benched again last night. The guy needs to figure it out quick or he will run out of opportunities. Arniel is quite clearly not happy with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Notice some people are questioning Schroeder's skill level? If this guy isn't skilled he doesn't sniff the 1st round in 2009. Skill-wise, he's right there with anyone. However, on offense he tends to want to slow the game down - when he should be attacking players more with his opportunities. That's what separates him from the like of Briere and St. Louis. He plays a passive offensive game more often than not. It's great when you have very capable wingers, but not great when you don't, as we've seen with his assist totals.

He's got to continue to be more aggressive one on one. That's when it will finally click for this guy. When it will finally come together for him.
Agree with your assessment. Schroeder has great vision and is very skilled, his problem is that he wants to slow the game down and dish it off for a tap in. He has been better lately at using his speed and skill to challenge the defenders. I think the lack of scoring on the Wolves is slowly forcing him to learn how to be more dynamic himself.

But Schroeder also has trouble because at times his linemates, especially guys like Sweatt don't get what he's trying to do. Last night there was a 2-on-1 where Schroeder made a quick pass to Sweatt but it was clear he wanted it back for a one-timer but Sweatt just has tunnel vision so he shot it instead.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
  #521
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,172
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Rodin was benched again last night. The guy needs to figure it out quick or he will run out of opportunities. Arniel is quite clearly not happy with him.



Agree with your assessment. Schroeder has great vision and is very skilled, his problem is that he wants to slow the game down and dish it off for a tap in. He has been better lately at using his speed and skill to challenge the defenders. I think the lack of scoring on the Wolves is slowly forcing him to learn how to be more dynamic himself.

But Schroeder also has trouble because at times his linemates, especially guys like Sweatt don't get what he's trying to do. Last night there was a 2-on-1 where Schroeder made a quick pass to Sweatt but it was clear he wanted it back for a one-timer but Sweatt just has tunnel vision so he shot it instead.
Looking forward to seeing Schroeder play with some of our more trigger happy guys like Booth, Kesler and Jensen someday. I think they'll get along fabulously.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
  #522
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Rodin was benched again last night. The guy needs to figure it out quick or he will run out of opportunities. Arniel is quite clearly not happy with him.



Yup, but they can give this guy the slow roast approach... as long as he doesn't bolt back to Sweden.



Quote:
Agree with your assessment. Schroeder has great vision and is very skilled, his problem is that he wants to slow the game down and dish it off for a tap in. He has been better lately at using his speed and skill to challenge the defenders. I think the lack of scoring on the Wolves is slowly forcing him to learn how to be more dynamic himself.

But Schroeder also has trouble because at times his linemates, especially guys like Sweatt don't get what he's trying to do. Last night there was a 2-on-1 where Schroeder made a quick pass to Sweatt but it was clear he wanted it back for a one-timer but Sweatt just has tunnel vision so he shot it instead.



He has to keep working off the mindset that teammates don't often know what he wants to try and get more selfish as a result. The key question here is can he be more dynamic one on one? If he can, he's going to start creating more. If not, I'm not sure what he does from here...

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:42 AM
  #523
Steveorama
Registered User
 
Steveorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,918
vCash: 50
Not quite ready to brand Rodin a bus_.
But he has the first 3 letters, and the "t" is just waiting to drop in.

Steveorama is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:56 PM
  #524
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,951
vCash: 500
Last game Rodin played he didn't play in the last two periods. Unless there is information otherwise might well have been injured.

orcatown is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
  #525
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Last game Rodin played he didn't play in the last two periods. Unless there is information otherwise might well have been injured.
True, but you would think they would say on the broadcast that he's injured. Not a mention last night. But you're right, it's a possibility. But if he's injured again, that's not very positive either.

Tiranis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.