HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 01:38 AM
  #851
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'm sure it can be open to interpretation. If you want to put it that way than ok, but if so then I don't see how RNH has any bearing on Murphy and Rielly's position to man the point on the pp which was how this all started in the first place.
Probably because OilerTyler pointed out that RNH has a better record at running a powerplay than Reilly.

But, yes, it ultimately doesn't matter because they'll be in different spots on the ice.

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:40 AM
  #852
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I didn't know Nugent Hopkins runs the point on the OKC barons powerplay. That's usually what quarterback means. But I guess your senseless laughter means that you have a different meaning.
Im laughing at your stubborn ignorance.

You do know that Hopkins was the first unit pp Qb for the Oilers in the NHL right?

And their pp was one of the best in the league. You knew that right?

No, you are going to tell us all that only the dman can be a pp qb.

Tell me something. Was Wayne Gretzky running the pp for the Oilers back in the day?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:44 AM
  #853
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im laughing at your stubborn ignorance.

You do know that Hopkins was the first unit pp Qb for the Oilers in the NHL right?

And their pp was one of the best in the league. You knew that right?

No, you are going to tell us all that only the dman can be a pp qb.

Tell me something. Was Wayne Gretzky running the pp for the Oilers back in the day?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
Theres no need to get so angry, he simply said he didnt know.

I do agree with you, RNH is one of the best PP QB's in the game today...but geez man lol

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:48 AM
  #854
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Theres no need to get so angry, he simply said he didnt know.

I do agree with you, RNH is one of the best PP QB's in the game today...but geez man lol
Im not angry. Just responding in a similar manner to how my post was responded to.

Im quite agreeable if Im not condescended to.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:49 AM
  #855
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Charles Hudon - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Boone Jenner - Phillip Danault - J.C. Lipon
Jonathan Drouin - Nate MacKinnon - Ty Rattie
Anthony Camara

Morgan Rielly - Dougie Hamilton
Xavier Ouellet - Scott Harrington
Griffin Reinhart - Ryan Murphy
Tyler Wotherspoon

The problem on the PP is that both RNH and Murphy run the PP from the right point. I'm sure Murphy could be the triggerman on the left side as well.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:51 AM
  #856
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im laughing at your stubborn ignorance.

You do know that Hopkins was the first unit pp Qb for the Oilers in the NHL right?

And their pp was one of the best in the league. You knew that right?

No, you are going to tell us all that only the dman can be a pp qb.

Tell me something. Was Wayne Gretzky running the pp for the Oilers back in the day?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
Wow...take a deep breath bud, I can literally imagine your vein popping. Your interpretation of a pp qb and mine are different that's all. If you'd like to find a dictionary with Powerplay qb in it then show it to me then I'll believe your word is law, but until you do, I believe a pp qb is the person who mans the point on the pp, like Ryan Ellis did in the past.

Does Letang run the Penguins pp or Crosby? If you think that I didn't know RNH was good on the pp than you are arrogant and ignorant.


Last edited by Atomos2: 12-14-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Atomos2 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:02 AM
  #857
Andy Dufresne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Take a look at last years team again.

Skill Guys:
Bournival
Connolly
Huberdeau
Pearson
Scheifele
Schwarz
Stone
Strome

Grinders:
Gallagher
Hamilton
Howden
Jenner
DSP

The problem wasn't too many grinders but rather the skill guys turned into useless tweeners. Bournival, Connolly, Pearson and even Scheifele were moreorless useless in the tournament. Meanwhile the four (DSP hurt) grinders all made a huge impact in the tournament.
What a bunch of completely useless 20/20 hindsight ********. Gallagher and Howden are...grinders? Laughable, Lipon made junior as an undrafted walk on 1 year after he scored 3 goals in the Saskatchewan Midget League, he has grinder credentials that a guy like Howden can't even touch. To even mention Gallagher as a grinder would have been ridiculous before he made that team.

There's been many comments in this thread about Lipon that show zero understanding about who Lipon actually is. Some of you should do some ****ing research before making comments about players you don't know anything about (other than stat watching)

Also- has it ever occured to some of you that not every center can just be moved to the wing, and he's just going to be the same player he was as a center? McNeil is a center (and a damned good one), but Lipon making this team has nothing to do with McNeil. Lipon is a winger, not every center can be counted on to move to wing succesfully. Guys like Scheifele who are top 6 NHL talents are a different story (moving to wing) vs guys battling for the last spots on a WJC team. Just my opinion....

Andy Dufresne is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:17 AM
  #858
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
they played the University of Alberta in the final camp game. Subban was absolutely terrible, and this is against guys with nowhere near the overall skill teams like the Russians and Americans will have. I'm really concerned about our goaltending situation.
I guess Vasilevski is absolutely terrible too. Remember Canada lighting him up and almost coming back from 6-1.

Even great goalies have bad outings. Maybe you should relax a little.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:24 AM
  #859
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Charles Hudon - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Boone Jenner - Phillip Danault - J.C. Lipon
Jonathan Drouin - Nate MacKinnon - Ty Rattie
Anthony Camara

Morgan Rielly - Dougie Hamilton
Xavier Ouellet - Scott Harrington
Griffin Reinhart - Ryan Murphy
Tyler Wotherspoon

The problem on the PP is that both RNH and Murphy run the PP from the right point. I'm sure Murphy could be the triggerman on the left side as well.
Might as well just have 3 scoring and 1 checking line.

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:28 AM
  #860
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Wow...take a deep breath bud, I can literally imagine your vein popping. Your interpretation of a pp qb and mine are different that's all. If you'd like to find a dictionary with Powerplay qb in it then show it to me then I'll believe your word is law, but until you do, I believe a pp qb is the person who mans the point on the pp, like Ryan Ellis did in the past.

Does Letang run the Penguins pp or Crosby? If you think that I didn't know RNH was good on the pp than you are arrogant and ignorant.
Please answer the question.

Was Wayne Gretzky the pp qb for Edmonton or not?

Yes or no?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:29 AM
  #861
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Might as well just have 3 scoring and 1 checking line.
That is what I did. A scoring line doesn't mean it gets more minutes than a checking line however.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:36 AM
  #862
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Please answer the question.

Was Wayne Gretzky the pp qb for Edmonton or not?

Yes or no?
I was born in 1988 so I wasn't alive in those days, so Idk. Maybe that answers your question. Can you answer mine?

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:36 AM
  #863
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
That is what I did. A scoring line doesn't mean it gets more minutes than a checking line however.
Hudon, Strome and Ritchie can check and score. Ritchie will punish people and Hudon does not stop going at players. Even Yakupov had enough of his relentless checking in the SSS. Who needs a dedicated checking line when you have players like this that can also score. Besides, with this roster it will be other teams worried about being able to check three offensive lines and trying to figure out who to focus on.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:41 AM
  #864
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Hudon, Strome and Ritchie can check and score. Ritchie will punish people and Hudon does not stop going at players. Even Yakupov had enough of his relentless checking in the SSS. Who needs a dedicated checking line when you have players like this that can also score. Besides, with this roster it will be other teams worried about being able to check three offensive lines and trying to figure out who to focus on.
You use a designated checking line because Danault is the best defensive center Canada has had in many many years. His defense is already a 60/65 as a center IMO. That allows you to give Strome and RNH softer minutes that they will tear apart.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:41 AM
  #865
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 40,320
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Please answer the question.

Was Wayne Gretzky the pp qb for Edmonton or not?

Yes or no?
please stop putting Gretzky and rnh together

thanks

LPH is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:47 AM
  #866
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I was born in 1988 so I wasn't alive in those days, so Idk. Maybe that answers your question. Can you answer mine?
Well, that isnt a yes or a no now is it?

The lengths people will go to in order to be right on a message board.

Its quite sad actually.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:51 AM
  #867
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, that isnt a yes or a no now is it?

The lengths people will go to in order to be right on a message board.

Its quite sad actually.
Well if you are satisfied with a yes that's a complete guess or a no that's a complete guess than ok.

Yes Gretzky was a ppqb. I have know idea if that's true or not but as long as you feel better than I'll stick with that answer. Does that make you happy? You are right.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:58 AM
  #868
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
You use a designated checking line because Danault is the best defensive center Canada has had in many many years. His defense is already a 60/65 as a center IMO. That allows you to give Strome and RNH softer minutes that they will tear apart.
I missed a word in my post. I meant to say who needs a "second" dedicated checking line...

What I meant is why bother having two full lines dedicated to defense when you can have a third scoring line that can play D equally well.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:59 AM
  #869
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Well if you are satisfied with a yes that's a complete guess or a no that's a complete guess than ok.

Yes Gretzky was a ppqb. I have know idea if that's true or not but as long as you feel better than I'll stick with that answer. Does that make you happy? You are right.
Well, considering he has what, a thousand more points than anyone else in the history of the game, ya, yes is a safe guess.

Much of the time he would qb the pp from behind the net. If you can believe it. I had never seen it done before, and nobody has really done it on a consistent basis since.

But ya, Hopkins is the straw that stirs the drink on the Oilers pp. Schultz is a big part of the pp on the AHL Barons though. Hard to say if they will work together on the same pp or on different units if the nhl ever gets to playing games again.

As far as dmen go, Rielly is a pretty good pp qb. I do know that from seeing him do it. Maybe Hamilton is too, but Rielly would be my pick. Of course Ryan Murphy is that guy too.

Maybe we see Rielly/Murphy on the same pp together?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:02 AM
  #870
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I missed a word in my post. I meant to say who needs a "second" dedicated checking line...

What I meant is why bother having two full lines dedicated to defense when you can have a third scoring line that can play D equally well.
Ah yes, understood. I imagine Strome would get second toughest minutes with Hudon and Ritchie.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:21 AM
  #871
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, considering he has what, a thousand more points than anyone else in the history of the game, ya, yes is a safe guess.

Much of the time he would qb the pp from behind the net. If you can believe it. I had never seen it done before, and nobody has really done it on a consistent basis since.

But ya, Hopkins is the straw that stirs the drink on the Oilers pp. Schultz is a big part of the pp on the AHL Barons though. Hard to say if they will work together on the same pp or on different units if the nhl ever gets to playing games again.

As far as dmen go, Rielly is a pretty good pp qb. I do know that from seeing him do it. Maybe Hamilton is too, but Rielly would be my pick. Of course Ryan Murphy is that guy too.

Maybe we see Rielly/Murphy on the same pp together?
Ok, I understand. It wasn't my intention to get into an argument, I think it was just a terminology thing. I knew RNH is Team Canada's best weapon on the pp and that he controls the play.

It was just the word pp quarterback which I usually think back to Ryan Ellis in world jrs as an underager from a few years ago (when Mcguire was gushing over him like a school girl). It's how I envisioned it. Not because of talent, but because of traditional powerplay positioning. Just my viewpoint

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:49 AM
  #872
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Ok, I understand. It wasn't my intention to get into an argument, I think it was just a terminology thing. I knew RNH is Team Canada's best weapon on the pp and that he controls the play.

It was just the word pp quarterback which I usually think back to Ryan Ellis in world jrs as an underager from a few years ago (when Mcguire was gushing over him like a school girl). It's how I envisioned it. Not because of talent, but because of traditional powerplay positioning. Just my viewpoint
It is a confusing term. If you look up hockey terminology on Wikipedia it will tell you that the PP QB is a defenseman, but that isn't really the case, as it may have once been. With many powerplay being run from the half boards, and even the great one from behind the net, the PP QB is now considered more the fulcrum on puck distribution. It's not just from the "back field" anymore, which is why QB was the term to begin with. Henrik Sedin and Joe Thornton have been the assist leaders for a long time by running their powerplays from the half boards.

Not sure why Liquor needed to browbeat you on the point as it isn't a 100% definitive term.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:17 AM
  #873
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
No, I know that.

I'm asking who they'll play from now until the tournament starts for tune up games?
vs. Finland (Dec 20th) and vs. Sweden (Dec 22nd)

Stats01 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:45 AM
  #874
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Exactly, the whole top 6/ bottom 6 philosophy is old. I'm not saying get rid of physicality all together but you need some freakin skill on all 4 lines now-a-days. I like the mix of this team, especially on the big ice surface. If this was played in Canada I'd probably want a bit more sandpaper..maybe..still this team kicks ass. Like I said earlier to someone, you have to go into each tournament differently
i think HC played the hand they were dealt. When all was said and done, this camp was really all about picking four forwards and two defencemen.
They went with those that showed up with "compete" label.
How many people out there thought Mc Neil, Monahan, Wilson were shoe- ins. In stead they went with Lipon, Drouin and Camara in their place.
The only shocker on D was Wotherspoon and that was done because Spott got his way with Murphy and the stay at home defencemen had to be the next safest style of play choice.
Good job HC.

clarkebr is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:55 AM
  #875
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hopefully Ryan Murphy doesnt hurt us too bad, but I shudder to think what he is going to look like against the Russians.


he should only play PP, he is a joke 5 on 5.


murphy = marc andre bergeron.

TheFatOne is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.