HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah like Recchi Giroux and guys like that his hockey sense and agility helps him get in good situations and avoid bad ones.
Recchi is another guy I see a little in Hudon. Not that he will be anywhere near as good as the doctor was in his prime, but that's another skilled small guy who played a smart game, and while not "tough" or reckless had no problem playing physical when he had to.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:28 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Archambault scored 2 goals.

From the little I saw of him a couple weeks ago the only knock I saw was he definitely needs to get stronger. He got knocked down twice in the same shift DD style.

Otherwise he made some very nice passes and was pretty tenacious on whoever had the puck. Still hard to gauge his upside though. Can't see him not getting a contract at the end of the year.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Archambault scored 2 goals.

From the little I saw of him a couple weeks ago the only knock I saw was he definitely needs to get stronger. He got knocked down twice in the same shift DD style.

Otherwise he made some very nice passes and was pretty tenacious on whoever had the puck. Still hard to gauge his upside though. Can't see him not getting a contract at the end of the year.
DD style? Never saw a trend of him getting knocked down. Maybe you mean palushaj or pouliot

Old
12-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
DD style? Never saw a trend of him getting knocked down. Maybe you mean palushaj or pouliot
no those two got regularly ROCKED with big hits.

DD get pushed down because he is so small, but he always stays on his feet or to knees and pops back up.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
no those two got regularly ROCKED with big hits.

DD get pushed down because he is so small, but he always stays on his feet or to knees and pops back up.
I remember when Erik Karlsson basically carries Desharnais to the boards.

DD definitely gets knocked around, but the thing is he usually just plays through it like nothing happened. He also, unlike Palushaj and Pouliot, has enough awareness to avoid getting hammered regularly by huge hits.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Already an assist for Thrower. Great return by him so far.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm so ****ing pumped that he seems to have calmed down and is getting back on track.

Kid is important to our future. Not Galchenyuk important, but his style of play.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Kristo with a goal and 2 assists. MacMillan with 2 assists.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I remember when Erik Karlsson basically carries Desharnais to the boards.

DD definitely gets knocked around, but the thing is he usually just plays through it like nothing happened. He also, unlike Palushaj and Pouliot, has enough awareness to avoid getting hammered regularly by huge hits.

I love how even though he's pinned to the boards he keeps trying to play the puck with his hand. DD never quits!

Old
12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Love me some MacMillan

Old
12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
What is Throwers game like? Should we be expecting big points or solid defense? I know he has a mean streak and likes to brawl but who would you compare his game style to?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 PM
zzoo

Kristo is ranked #22 now, with 1.2 ppg. How is NCAA caliber compared to OHL or WHL ?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What is Throwers game like? Should we be expecting big points or solid defense? I know he has a mean streak and likes to brawl but who would you compare his game style to?
Wishnewski is who I find him the most similar to, there are differences but that is probably the closest that I can think of.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:03 PM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Kristo is ranked #22 now, with 1.2 ppg. How is NCAA caliber compared to OHL or WHL ?
For what it's worth: Kristo's team has played the 4th hardest schedule out of 59 Divison 1 teams, according to a popular mathematical ranking formula for college hockey.

source - KRACH Rankings USCHO.com (click on "SOS Rk" to sort by strength of schedule)

Last edited by WaltWhitman: 12-14-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 10:04 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
NCAA>CHL
But isn't kristo among the oldest, if so I would have hoped for something better than 22...

Old
12-14-2012, 10:07 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Wishnewski is who I find him the most similar to, there are differences but that is probably the closest that I can think of.
Seems like a good call. Could it be fair to say he might not quite have Wiz's offense but could be better in his own zone?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Seems like a good call. Could it be fair to say he might not quite have Wiz's offense but could be better in his own zone?
The Wiz did a lot better point-wise in Montreal then he did elsewhere in the NHL, so I would compare him to the Wiz who played elsewhere. Maybe a less retarded or a more responsible Wiz would be a better way to describe him.

I caught most of tonight's game and he looked a lot better then he did at the start of the season, to me he was more or less a write-off at the start of the year.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
NCAA>CHL
But isn't kristo among the oldest, if so I would have hoped for something better than 22...
1.2 PPG equates to around 52 points for the season, which is about where I would expect Kristo to be. He very well could get hot and hit 60 points this year, but 50 is more realistic imo.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Kristo also missed 2 games due to suspension, which impact where he is in that points list. Give him 3 more points and he's top 12.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:33 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Kicking myself that I didn't notice that the Saskatoon game was on Shaw earlier. Caught the 3rd period though.

Thrower had a couple takeaways, clearing attempts and stood someone up. Not much really noticeable.

Had to say I liked what I saw from Dietz. He's a good skater and made some really nice, crisp passes whether they we're first passes or in the offensive zone.

When you consider how good he is along with how far down our depth chart he is, you can't help but feel good about the future.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:48 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
NCAA>CHL
I never would've thought that it would be the better league but whenever I watch those UND highlight vids, the play looks really really fast so it makes sense.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:41 AM
crakced

I was at the game last night. Thrower looked pretty good, he made a nice pass across the offensive zone that got him his assist. He also played solid D on the night. Had a nice play in the third on the PK where he broke up a scoring chance, sidestepped a check and came in on a partial 2 on 1. Unfortunately he shot high and missed the net. I thought he was the Blades best defense man on the night.

Dietz played pretty well on the night. A few nice passes and a decent hit or two. He did have a few mistakes trying clear his zone where passes were intercepted or just off the mark and a couple rushes that got broken up. His play on the point on the PP was quite impressive as him and his D partner controlled the puck really well.

All in all a good game and a 5th straight win for the Blades

Quote:
Kicking myself that I didn't notice that the Saskatoon game was on Shaw earlier. Caught the 3rd period though.

Thrower had a couple takeaways, clearing attempts and stood someone up. Not much really noticeable.

Had to say I liked what I saw from Dietz. He's a good skater and made some really nice, crisp passes whether they we're first passes or in the offensive zone.

When you consider how good he is along with how far down our depth chart he is, you can't help but feel good about the future.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Treb

Quote:
I never would've thought that it would be the better league but whenever I watch those UND highlight vids, the play looks really really fast so it makes sense.
It has a lot to do with the fact most players are 18-21, compared to the CHL 17-19.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Et le But

Well NCAA players are older and therefore more developed, so it's better in that sense, but the quality of opposition is even more uneven, I mean this isn't NCAA football we are talking about, the quality of opposition in NCAA is very uneven...even on a down year North Dakota is going to be one of the best programs in the country.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Was flipping back and forth between the Michigan/Western Michigan game and Galchenyuk's.

Mac Bennett- no points and a -2 but thought he played a good game and was one of Michigan's top players despite them not looking very good and the poor goaltending again really hurt. Bennett was on the top pairing as usual with Trouba, on the PP and PK as well. The one goal against when he was on the ice was an empty netter and it was more unlucky on his part as he knocked the puck away from one forward only to have it go right onto anothers.

Was impressed with his defensive game, which in his Freshman year was the big concern, now he looks very confident in his own end. He made a nice breakup of a 2 on 1 as well. His coach was asked about him and he said he's the one who runs the D as is their go to go on defense (or something to that nature). His passes are always hard, crisp, and accurate but Michigan's offense was in a real funk.

Mike Cichy- First time seeing him since he left North Dakota, looks bigger and heavier but overall had a disappointing night and his coach said they want more effort out him which was also said by his former coach at ND. He was playing 3rd line RW and 2nd PP unit but for the most part did little.

Galchenyuk is a beast, could have easily had 3 or 4 goals on the night as he hit the post. His shot from up high was just sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He looks way better in the offensive zone from what i've seen. His defensive zone play needs work as he's a bit of a risk taker so there's going to be some adventures when he has the puck in his own end. But his physical game/grittiness and offensive skills make him an interesting prospect imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakced View Post
I was at the game last night. Thrower looked pretty good, he made a nice pass across the offensive zone that got him his assist. He also played solid D on the night. Had a nice play in the third on the PK where he broke up a scoring chance, sidestepped a check and came in on a partial 2 on 1. Unfortunately he shot high and missed the net. I thought he was the Blades best defense man on the night.

Dietz played pretty well on the night. A few nice passes and a decent hit or two. He did have a few mistakes trying clear his zone where passes were intercepted or just off the mark and a couple rushes that got broken up. His play on the point on the PP was quite impressive as him and his D partner controlled the puck really well.

All in all a good game and a 5th straight win for the Blades
good to hear, i've caught a few games so far and Thrower's been both good and bad but from what i've heard he's been really solid since his return from injury so perhaps he is back on track which would be great to hear. Dietz is a guy that always seems to play solid and looks like one of those types that does most things well, nothing really great but just solid overall. Also sounds like the Blades are starting to figure it out and are finally playing solid hockey.

Closed Thread