HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

This is the end, beautiful friend.

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 09:07 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
We should open a barcade.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I'm 9 episodes in and I'm addicted to Sons of Anarchy.

Ya'll have been talking so much good about this show I finally got around to starting it and I see why you are so high on it.
I have them DVR'd, but I have not watched the last three. Sutter went too far with his own character, so I took a break.

12-14-2012, 10:05 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
We should open a barcade.
Barcades are great, we got one in Chicago (and now a second imitator in the upscale lakeview) a few months back.

The real issue is you need to have a really strong 21-35 crowd to make it work. There is a big upfront investment (getting 20-30 good arcade cabs will run you between 10-15k easy, if not more), ongoing costs (maintenance, drunk people spilling beer on your brand new pinball machine, high electricity) which will pretty much eat up all your 'arcade' revenue, if not over run it. If i were gonna do it someplace outside of a Major city, it'd have to be in a really strong college town, like Ithaca NY or Ann Arbor MI. Then you have to worry about catering to the under 21 crowd as well, which make things quite a bit more tricky.

If I were to open a video game themed bar, it would have SOME arcade cabs, but not driven by them like most barcades. I'd have a solid LAN PC base (probably 10-15 PCs with the latest games), 3-4 big (60''+ TVs), 5 Classic Arcade Cabs and 1-2 good pinball machines. I'd cater to lots of corp events, do Barcraft events, and do big video game release parties (partnering with a local store video game store to make it a bad ass party).

Old
12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Didn't get the first choice place.

Waiting to get a visit on a place that is right next to the rink where my son plays. If I get that place, I may have a BnB for friends that are too drunk to drive home.

It will be interesting to see how my dinner table conversation goes tonight....

Old
12-14-2012, 10:20 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Barcades are great, we got one in Chicago (and now a second imitator in the upscale lakeview) a few months back.

The real issue is you need to have a really strong 21-35 crowd to make it work. There is a big upfront investment (getting 20-30 good arcade cabs will run you between 10-15k easy, if not more), ongoing costs (maintenance, drunk people spilling beer on your brand new pinball machine, high electricity) which will pretty much eat up all your 'arcade' revenue, if not over run it. If i were gonna do it someplace outside of a Major city, it'd have to be in a really strong college town, like Ithaca NY or Ann Arbor MI. Then you have to worry about catering to the under 21 crowd as well, which make things quite a bit more tricky.

If I were to open a video game themed bar, it would have SOME arcade cabs, but not driven by them like most barcades. I'd have a solid LAN PC base (probably 10-15 PCs with the latest games), 3-4 big (60''+ TVs), 5 Classic Arcade Cabs and 1-2 good pinball machines. I'd cater to lots of corp events, do Barcraft events, and do big video game release parties (partnering with a local store video game store to make it a bad ass party).
What you described in the second paragraph is exactly what I was envisioning. More like a LAN center with a bar, no actual arcade machines.

You don't think putting it near UB or somewhere in the Buffalo area would work?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
For me, brutal. I've never been a big weights guy, so it was a change for me.

This was the workout. Done just like the song. 1 rep of #1, 2 reps of #2 1 rep of #1, etc, etc

The lunges really messed me up, and I messed up the order a couple times. Didn't finish it all, but a lot of people didn't. The guy said I did OK for my first time ever doing it, and that I picked probably the worst possible day to start.
The big question is are you going back for more?

Today I had this:

25 minutes on the AirDyne for calories (410)

9 min AMRAP

5 Clusters [Clean+Thruster] @ 135
10 Box Jumps

I got 3 rounds + 4 clusters

Old
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Overhead squat with a kettlebell in each hand instead of the bar.

And if you were wondering why they were named that....

Old
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Weekend plans?

Nothing tonight for us. I'm okay with this.
Taking the tot to a basket raffle tomorrow morning to support a good cause.
Tomorrow night is our annual Love Actually viewing. Friends and alcohol will be joining us.
Sunday is wide open. <insert dirty joke here>

Old
12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Weekend plans:

Tonight:

- Dinner @ Dino and not sure what's happening after yet....

Tomorrow:

- Radio Show
- Coaching hockey
- CF Rochester Christmas party

Sunday:

- Coaching hockey
- Step mom's birthday party

Old
12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Going to watch The Hobbit tonight, and then out of town for the rest of the weekend for a family christmas party.

I put out a "who wants to go" post on FB last night, and the girl I've been "seeing" eagerly stepped up to the plate. Which is strange, because never in a million years would I imagine she would want to watch that movie.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Weekend plans?

Tomorrow night is our annual Love Actually viewing. Friends and alcohol will be joining us.
Nowhere in here do I see "go view the Hobbit." If you guys didn't see it last night at midnight, Clock is slipping.

Our little guy seems to have either a nasty cold or the flu so it's put all our weekend plans on hold.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Weekend plans?

Work tonight, off tomorrow with no set in stone plans outside of getting new brakes on my car and work Sunday morning and then Sunday dinner possibly with some friends over.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
What you described in the second paragraph is exactly what I was envisioning. More like a LAN center with a bar, no actual arcade machines.

As someone who has never lived in Buffalo, I'm not really the best person to ask. Chicago's Barcade is between Logan Square and Bucktown, the two biggest 'Hipster' heavy areas in the city. It's Chicago's version of brooklyn if you will. It's also located right on the main bike route to get from that part of the city to downtown. Huge population of 20-early 30 somethings who spend lots of money at bars, basically your ideal customer.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

There was already one there. Cyberjocks on Sheridan/N. Bailey. Used to be on Parkside in Buffalo.

It failed. Hard.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Nowhere in here do I see "go view the Hobbit." If you guys didn't see it last night at midnight, Clock is slipping.

Our little guy seems to have either a nasty cold or the flu so it's put all our weekend plans on hold.
Clock is currently viewing it as I type this.

It is part of his work Christmas party. IT NERDS....

Old
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
The big question is are you going back for more?

Today I had this:

25 minutes on the AirDyne for calories (410)

9 min AMRAP

5 Clusters [Clean+Thruster] @ 135
10 Box Jumps

I got 3 rounds + 4 clusters
Yep. I'm going to stick with once a week for now, see how my body reacts to it.

I basically have targets for next year of a half marathon, and the Tough Mudder. (My girlfriend has done the Mudder twice already....so I have to catch up.) I think this will be good for those goals.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
You just made him very angry.
Lol. In all seriousness, as a member of the BDSM community, I had considered writing a book similar to fifty shades, and while this one does contain the occasional bondage reference, I largely avoided it. It felt out of place and a little forced given the characters.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Disgusting ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14...entary-school/
Quote:
DEVELOPING: A gunman opened fire Friday inside a Connecticut elementary school, and authorities reported multiple deaths -- including the gunman -- according to CTNow.com.
Reports also said children were shot but it remains unclear whether any were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
Authorities said the gunman, who was not identified, is dead. An official with knowledge of the situation told the Associated Press that the man apparently had two guns.
Shortly after 9:40 a.m., police reported that a shooter was in the main office of the school. A person in one room had "numerous gunshot wounds," police told the newspaper.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
There was already one there. Cyberjocks on Sheridan/N. Bailey. Used to be on Parkside in Buffalo.

It failed. Hard.
Yeah I went there. I don't remember it being anything other than a LAN center with a concession stand. They probably failed because it was incredibly expensive to go there and just play a random video game for a couple hours.

This would be a bar with gaming attached, not the other way around. Essentially you charge little to nothing for people to actually play the games, and the money is made by hosting parties/events, and on food and liquor.

Although serving food wouldn't be super appealing. I guess at worst it could have a pizza shop.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Yeah I went there. I don't remember it being anything other than a LAN center with a concession stand. They probably failed because it was incredibly expensive to go there and just play a random video game for a couple hours.

This would be a bar with gaming attached, not the other way around. Essentially you charge little to nothing for people to actually play the games, and the money is made by hosting parties/events, and on food and liquor.

Although serving food wouldn't be super appealing. I guess at worst it could have a pizza shop.
I'm not sure a bar and LAN gaming would really work together to be honest. Drinking beers while playing your friends at arcade cabinets for a couple minutes at a time is one thing. Short time commitments, and something that people can watch.

Having a bunch of people sit around and play Starcraft for 40 minutes at a time kinda kills the entire social aspect of the thing. I can do that at home and not have to shower. :p

Old
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:

You'd be a millionaire in no time if you put this in Korea.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I'm not sure a bar and LAN gaming would really work together to be honest. Drinking beers while playing your friends at arcade cabinets for a couple minutes at a time is one thing. Short time commitments, and something that people can watch.

Having a bunch of people sit around and play Starcraft for 40 minutes at a time kinda kills the entire social aspect of the thing. I can do that at home and not have to shower. :p

You can most definitely make something like that a social experience. Don't assume playing Starcraft means the only thing you can do is sit there and play 1v1s on the ladder all day.

In this fantasy world of mine, there would constantly be team games, mono-battles, and silly FFA challenges. The games would try to incorporate as many people as possible, with the games even being casted in the bar. You could also then have small tournaments for prizes, with players going to the bar with friends in-between matches, people just hanging out watching, etc.

As much as it is my love, I imagine the #1 attraction would most likely be shooters and sports games on PS/Xbox. Even the Nintendo Wii would work well here.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I don't mean to discount it. I've been a big gamer for years. I played at Cyberjocks when they first started in a storefront on Parkside Ave, playing C&C : Red Alert for hours on end.

The problem with a physical location for LAN games is that there's no need anymore. Back in the early 2000s, if you wanted to get 8 friends together and play something, it made sense to lug your PCs/Consoles somewhere and hook them all up. Nobody had broadband, and dial up games were a pain in the rear to get going.

Now, it's totally different. If I want to play Diablo, or WoW, or SC2, or whatever, I can sit down in my office, launch a game, and be online with 7 friends in about a minute or two, with voice chat on Ventrillo or Skype.

Cyberjocks failed because as more people got broadband, there was less need to go there. They raised prices to compensate, driving more people away. There's also a significant capital cost too. People expect top end gaming rigs in these places. That's $1500/$2000 per rig every 18-24 months or so, plus game licenses, electricity, space, staff, etc. Not a lot of margin there, even if you get a hopping bar attached.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I don't mean to discount it. I've been a big gamer for years. I played at Cyberjocks when they first started in a storefront on Parkside Ave, playing C&C : Red Alert for hours on end.

The problem with a physical location for LAN games is that there's no need anymore. Back in the early 2000s, if you wanted to get 8 friends together and play something, it made sense to lug your PCs/Consoles somewhere and hook them all up. Nobody had broadband, and dial up games were a pain in the rear to get going.

Now, it's totally different. If I want to play Diablo, or WoW, or SC2, or whatever, I can sit down in my office, launch a game, and be online with 7 friends in about a minute or two, with voice chat on Ventrillo or Skype.
Yeah, like I said before, the PC games will be an after-thought. Mostly incorporated for my own benefit, they wouldn't be the focal point.

But most people prefer to play video games with their friends in the actual, physical real world. Call of Duty / Halo / Madden nights and hang-out sessions with drinking and pizza are the primary method men my age use to socialize.

The obstacle is that for groups of friends larger than 2-4, your average college student only has one television, meh internet, and one gaming system with one copy of the game. Most people aren't willing to pack up their TVs and gaming systems and take them places. Which means only 2 people can play at once. And just talking via headsets over skype while playing on xbox live just isn't the same, all of my friends and I can do this, but we still choose to get together on the weekends and play some games with drinking.

This is basically just a solution to my personal woes when hosting friends for gaming nights. It gets rid of all of the annoying obstacles to an otherwise good time. I know if a place like this existed I'd be there every weekend.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Sometimes it's still more fun to be in the same room. LAN parties are still way more fun than just randomly hopping on battle.net with Mumble. It's a lot easier and more fun to harass and intimidate other players when you're in the same room.

Closed Thread