HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas to Toronto

Old
12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
The Leafs don't need a one year solution net. They certainly would be moronic to give up anything for a 38m year old bandaid that isn't going to fix what is wrong. None of Thomas' previous accomplishments help the Leafs next season.

TO is 3 years from being relevant and 3.1 year from proving I was wrong.
This post is full of WiN

Please insert Luongo joke here (______)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
More classic unmisremembering. Thomas played well, by he didn't carry the Bruins anywhere. They lost ALL THREE close games.
I'm starting to think you have no idea what your talking about. With the exception of a bad goal in game 2 overtime. Tim Thomas was UNREAL. He kept them in games they had no business being in while Luongo was getting beat by a barrage of softies in 4 of the 7 games.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
I'm starting to think you have no idea what your talking about. With the exception of a bad goal in game 2 overtime. Tim Thomas was UNREAL. He kept them in games they had no business being in while Luongo was getting beat by a barrage of softies in 4 of the 7 games.
Vancouver was decimated with injuries and while they often out-shot the Bruins they rarely created quality scoring chances. Vancouver simply didn't have the horses and lost the battle of attrition

Thomas was good, but let's not pretend he was the savior for the Bruins in that series. He played solid, like the rest of the Bruins. The same couldn't be said about the Canucks. That was the difference. 'UNREAL'...Thomas was as good as he had to be..not unreal.

Back on topic though. It's unlikely the Leafs chase and acquire a goaltender that's temporarily retired, no?

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Pfft. Why do you think the Canucks couldn't score? A big reason is because Thomas was denying the barrage of shots he faced. Even in the games he lost, he kept his team in it to the very end. The Sedin's magically stop scoring when playing against Thomas? Hmmmm.
Chara, Seidenberg, Bergeron (et al) had a lot to do with that.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Yeah but I think he retired earlier because he didn't want to be embarrassed again by getting shoved aside by Rask.
Rask never beat out a healthy Thomas. No reason to think he would have this season either.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
ive always believed that if Thomas was on Vancouver, and Lu on Boston, the Bruins still win the cup. they were the better team.
LOL. I've always believed that if Thomas was on Vancouver and Lu on Boston, Vancouver would have swept.

Luongo gave his team no chance to win. He was mentally fragile and couldn't handle the pressure of playing on hostile ice in Boston. Now imagine him playing on hostile Vancouver ice 1 more game (assuming it went 7, which it wouldn't have).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Tim Thomas and the Toronto and really far more liberal Canadian media, this needs to happen just to watch this disaster.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
we definitely watched different games. the canucks had very very few quality scoring opportunities, just soft weak shots. im thinking you cant tell the difference due to thomas's acrobatic style.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:22 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
LOL. I've always believed that if Thomas was on Vancouver and Lu on Boston, Vancouver would have swept.

Luongo gave his team no chance to win. He was mentally fragile and couldn't handle the pressure of playing on hostile ice in Boston. Now imagine him playing on hostile Vancouver ice 1 more game (assuming it went 7, which it wouldn't have).
no clue how anyone could see it this way. the entire canucks team no showed most of the series. luongos only way to win was shutouts. and he made it to game 7. the only game the nucks won that wasnt a shutout, thomas handed burrows an open net. like i said, i duno what you are talking about, but it doesnt jive with the games that were played.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:00 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
You can start to think whatever you want. While he may have kept them in a games that they lost he wasn't very necessary in the 4 wins. And he was the goat on the OT goal. (just ask Luongo)

He certainly deserved the CS, nobody else really stood out enough. That's pretty common when goalies get it.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:52 AM
LSnow

Quote:
You can start to think whatever you want. While he may have kept them in a games that they lost he wasn't very necessary in the 4 wins. And he was the goat on the OT goal. (just ask Luongo)

He certainly deserved the CS, nobody else really stood out enough. That's pretty common when goalies get it.
And the under-rating of Thomas starts only after of one year, yet Toews still gets over-rated for his accomplishment.. Weird world.. Someone probably soon says that Quick had superior performance.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Tim Thomas and the Toronto and really far more liberal Canadian media, this needs to happen just to watch this disaster.
That hasn't stopped him before. The guy thrives on the ice. He'd probably be even more motivated to be the best.

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

and this is when I realized that you have no idea what you're talking about. We couldn't score, and we didn't get a lot of quality scoring chances. Luongo collapsed with the team, he didn't cause it.

Canucks fans can't comment on players or goalies being able to preform in the playoffs without people calling out our guys, even though it's irrelevant.

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:34 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
and this is when I realized that you have no idea what you're talking about. We couldn't score, and we didn't get a lot of quality scoring chances. Luongo collapsed with the team, he didn't cause it.

Canucks fans can't comment on players or goalies being able to preform in the playoffs without people calling out our guys, even though it's irrelevant.
Game 7 Vancouver played great, Thomas played great, Luongo sucked.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
AK1990

Guys there's a simple solution.

If Thomas wants to come to Toronto and Burke feels he still has lots to give. Offer him a minor league deal with tons of incentives to bump his salary. The guy doesn't strike me as a player who will demand lots of money. He'd much rather show the world he's right and their wrong. It's a win-win situation. Burke can still look for a goalie and if Thomas plays great. He rolls with him at a marginal cost compared to luongo. I'd take a year off motivated Thomas over over hyped since he left Florida and clutch less luongo.

AK1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:36 AM
glenbuis

I hope the leafs get Thomas but i'm pretty sure he comes with a 5 million dollar price tag if he comes.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik Kristal View Post
Guys there's a simple solution.

If Thomas wants to come to Toronto and Burke feels he still has lots to give. Offer him a minor league deal with tons of incentives to bump his salary. The guy doesn't strike me as a player who will demand lots of money. He'd much rather show the world he's right and their wrong. It's a win-win situation. Burke can still look for a goalie and if Thomas plays great. He rolls with him at a marginal cost compared to luongo. I'd take a year off motivated Thomas over over hyped since he left Florida and clutch less luongo.
Really? You think offering a two-time Vezina winner a minor-league deal would fly?

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Clueless Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
I hope the leafs get Thomas but i'm pretty sure he comes with a 5 million dollar price tag if he comes.
If its a one year deal I'm okay with that. It gives Burke a chance to re-evaluate what Reimer can do.

Better than going into the season with two unproven goalies IMO.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
That hasn't stopped him before. The guy thrives on the ice. He'd probably be even more motivated to be the best.
I think he was referring to the disaster it would be in interviews not on the ice. There is no doubt that TT would bring the skills on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post

I agree the interviews would be the greatest on top of that TT in HBO live. YES PLEASE!!!

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Could care less what his views and opinions are as long as he helps the team win.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Vancouver did not have a good game 7.

And yes, I mean the team.

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:52 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
And the under-rating of Thomas starts only after of one year, yet Toews still gets over-rated for his accomplishment.. Weird world.. Someone probably soon says that Quick had superior performance.

I do not recall mentioning Toews or Quick in my post.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Interesting take on Vancouver's effort in game 7, I've not heard anyone say anything even close to what you've just said. Luongo wasn't nearly good enough, but neither was anyone on the ice in riot blue.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
DougGilmour93

I'd offer Thomas a 2 yr deal worth 8 million (4 per year)

Or

a one year deal for 5 million.

DougGilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I'd offer Thomas a 2 yr deal worth 8 million (4 per year)

Or

a one year deal for 5 million.
and you dont think a more appealing city would make a similar offer? (im not dissing toronto, but timmy is an american right wing extremist)