HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
You can pick up an Easton Eq 50 for less than $100 bucks here http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...-clear-sr.html

I used this stick for awhile, I liked it. It's not the most durable, but for some players it's not a huge issue. I don't know what level you play at, so it would be up to you to determine if it is a big deal.

Also, I believe all clearance is 20% off right now at Hockeymonkey.
I'm only 16, so I just play in like rec leagues, nothing serious. So I could care less if I'm using a 300$ or a 75 dollar one. The main reason I've used this EQ50 is I picked it up at a draft party for 75 bucks in 2011 so it was a steal. I've been using it since and it just broke on me, it's been over a year old.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
SCritical

so I'm looking to buy another stick. I've been using an intermediate easton EQ20 with a Hall curve, cut down to about 75 flex. I like this stick for my level of play, but I've cracked the shaft.

I like the Hall curve, I wouldn't want anything steeper than that. I would like a stick with a higher flex if possible.

I'm 5'3, 170lb and play all positions but I shoot with close snapshots more than anything else.

I'm looking for another lower end stick around the $100 mark, I have used a lower end Bauer stick before -Vapor X:Lite - but I wasn't happy with it, it seemed heavier and stiffer than the EQ20. I wouldn't mind looking at another brand, I've only ever used those two sticks so I don't know what else is out there.

I think that's everything...any advice?

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:06 AM
AIREAYE

You want a whippier end result? Or stiffer?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You want a whippier end result? Or stiffer?
Whippier would be nice

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
AIREAYE

In the current models, you could look for maybe a Nexus 600 in intermediate, which comes in a 60 flex. A softer hosel area as part of it's true mid-kick would feel a bit whippier. I'd avoid Vapor. An INT 55 flex Warrior stick also sounds like it could work; perhaps a closeout Bandito or Dolomite.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Ruhnie

After dumping close to a grand into top end sticks this year, and having 3 of them break on me far too quickly for my liking, I am both heartbroken and confused as ever about what stick(s) to try next. Maybe you fellas can help me out.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs and don't have a preferred shot, I use snappers, slapshots, and wristers, but likely in that order. I play all skater positions regularly as well.

My 1-pc stick history, from memory (oldest to newest):

Easton Synergy
Warrior MacDaddy
Easton S17
Easton SE16
Warrior Dolomite DD
Bauer Vapor APX
CCM RBZ
CCM RBZ 60

I usually go with either a 75/77 or 85/87 flex, but tbh I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to "feel" with the flex, or if I have ever really noticed it or loaded any stick properly. I do feel like my shots are a bit faster and more accurate with the 85 flex however.

My biggest points of confusion are with kickpoint and flex. The only thing I could say I notice is on the low kick sticks they feel less responsive somehow, and if I shoot the way I normally did before having one like that, my shots were wonky. When I shoot slower and "let the stick do the work" the shots are much better but it doesn't feel natural.

Both the APX and RBZ treated me well, but man are they expensive. I went through 2 APXs this year and both lasted me about 2-3 months each. The RBZ made it about 5 months. I decided I couldn't bring myself to go top end again right away and picked up the RBZ 60, but I am not as happy with it. Any thoughts? Just go back to the RBZ and suck it up? Thanks.

Last edited by Ruhnie: 12-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
jsykes

What do you not like about the RBZ 60 in comparison to the RBZ?

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:54 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
After dumping close to a grand into top end sticks this year, and having 3 of them break on me far too quickly for my liking, I am both heartbroken and confused as ever about what stick(s) to try next. Maybe you fellas can help me out.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs and don't have a preferred shot, I use snappers, slapshots, and wristers, but likely in that order. I play all skater positions regularly as well.

My 1-pc stick history, from memory (oldest to newest):

Easton Synergy
Warrior MacDaddy
Easton S17
Easton SE16
Warrior Dolomite DD
Bauer Vapor APX
CCM RBZ
CCM RBZ 60

I usually go with either a 75/77 or 85/87 flex, but tbh I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to "feel" with the flex, or if I have ever really noticed it or loaded any stick properly. I do feel like my shots are a bit faster and more accurate with the 85 flex however.

My biggest points of confusion are with kickpoint and flex. The only thing I could say I notice is on the low kick sticks they feel less responsive somehow, and if I shoot the way I normally did before having one like that, my shots were wonky. When I shoot slower and "let the stick do the work" the shots are much better but it doesn't feel natural.

Both the APX and RBZ treated me well, but man are they expensive. I went through 2 APXs this year and both lasted me about 2-3 months each. The RBZ made it about 5 months. I decided I couldn't bring myself to go top end again right away and picked up the RBZ 60, but I am not as happy with it. Any thoughts? Just go back to the RBZ and suck it up? Thanks.
You are probably just going to have to suck it up b/c once you've gone top end it is hard to go back. To me everything, even mid-range sticks, now feel like a lead pipe.

What about the Sher-wood N12? People have a lot of good things to say about this stick. It is very light and a little easier on the budget at $189

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/N...7-41/?mtx_id=0

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ruhnie, are you breaking the sticks? Where are you breaking them and how?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
What do you not like about the RBZ 60 in comparison to the RBZ?
- heavy
- durability issues after a week. Toe of blade is already cracked and chipped up with chunks missing. Several divots and chunks on the shaft as well. After a week!
- Not a true 1 piece construction. I don't like the puck feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
You are probably just going to have to suck it up b/c once you've gone top end it is hard to go back. To me everything, even mid-range sticks, now feel like a lead pipe.

What about the Sher-wood N12? People have a lot of good things to say about this stick. It is very light and a little easier on the budget at $189

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/N...7-41/?mtx_id=0
Yeah you are right, I just hate that I seem to always miss the big sales on top end sticks. None of the TotalOnes left w/ my blade and flex I will take a look at that Sher-wood, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ruhnie, are you breaking the sticks? Where are you breaking them and how?
Yeah they always break above the blade low on the shaft. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the way I take faceoffs. I am terrible at them lol.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I just picked up a couple Dynasties after my AK-27 broke. I had that stick for like 3 or 4 years, so upsetting.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

At your height and from what it sounds like your strength is, I'd probably look at 75 flex sticks over 85, although if you're playing high level hockey and have a great shot, don't mess with it.

You'll probably want to feel the stick flex a bit when shooting, and if you cut 85 flex sticks down several inches, especially with low kick sticks, you might not feel them flex at all. Some guys like that, others hate it.

If money's no object, you might like an 87 flex Nexus 1000 or Total One. Sounds like you prefer mid kick stiffer sticks. Otherwise you might want to try a 2-piece to save money. I haven't used Base shafts but their blades have pretty good feel and are fairly light weight.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
At your height and from what it sounds like your strength is, I'd probably look at 75 flex sticks over 85, although if you're playing high level hockey and have a great shot, don't mess with it.

You'll probably want to feel the stick flex a bit when shooting, and if you cut 85 flex sticks down several inches, especially with low kick sticks, you might not feel them flex at all. Some guys like that, others hate it.

If money's no object, you might like an 87 flex Nexus 1000 or Total One. Sounds like you prefer mid kick stiffer sticks. Otherwise you might want to try a 2-piece to save money. I haven't used Base shafts but their blades have pretty good feel and are fairly light weight.
Yeah I think I just never got used to the low kick sticks. I started playing before even the first Synergy came out, but always used 2-pc composite shafts, which I assume are pretty much mid kick. Whenever I went to the S17 I felt like I couldn't feel or control anything. The SE16 had better feedback to me, as did the APX. The RBZ was night and day better feedback. How does the Nexus/TO compare to the RBZ?

Old
12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not exactly sure, but both are higher kick sticks with some of the best feel and blade durability out there.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:02 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Anyone have experience with the Staal, Toews, or Richards curves from Bauer?

Looking for suggestions. Input appreciated!

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Staal = P91A = Drury, 5.5 lie very open heel wedge
Richards = P106, 5.25 lie somewhat open mid-heel
Toews = P14, 5.5 lie somewhat open mid-toe

What are you using now?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Staal = P91A = Drury, 5.5 lie very open heel wedge
Richards = P106, 5.25 lie somewhat open mid-heel
Toews = P14, 5.5 lie somewhat open mid-toe

What are you using now?
Spezza. I like something with some curve but nothing to extreme.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Spezza from Reebok? Like the open mid-heel?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Spezza from Reebok? Like the open mid-heel?
I believe it's just a heel curve. But I could be wrong. But yes, that's the one. Similar to the Phaneuf.

Edit: I should add I'm considering picking up a Total one, or a Reebok 11k. They both seem to be awesome sticks, the Total one is 15$ more. Still deciding which one to get. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by elnewby: 12-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 06:16 PM
AIREAYE

P91A Staal is the closest. The P106 is a deeper curve that plays a little lower in lie; my go-to curve.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:40 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
P91A Staal is the closest. The P106 is a deeper curve that plays a little lower in lie; my go-to curve.
Richards curve, correct? How do you like it?

Old
12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
TieClark

I got a pro stock Ai 9 for free last week... any way I can tell the flex on this thing? Doesn't have the normal specs on it

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:40 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Richards curve, correct? How do you like it?
Easier to pick corners/sides with it than a P91A. The loft of the P91A makes it easier to shoot high, but the lack of a 'curve' by conventional description makes it necessary to turn your wrists and aim properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I got a pro stock Ai 9 for free last week... any way I can tell the flex on this thing? Doesn't have the normal specs on it
Namebar on the front of the stick?

Old
12-16-2012, 09:05 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Easier to pick corners/sides with it than a P91A. The loft of the P91A makes it easier to shoot high, but the lack of a 'curve' by conventional description makes it necessary to turn your wrists and aim properly.

Namebar on the front of the stick?
Ritchie... it's Brett Richie's stick

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

So do I go with a Total One in a Richards/Staal Curve or the Reebok 11k in a Datsyuk/Hedman/Phaneuf/Duchene curve. I'm really torn between the two, The 11k is 15$ cheaper and I'm not super picky.

Mainly just looking for a good all around curve, nothing to crazy. Mainly for wristers/snappers. I have a Zetterberg and a Spezza curve now. Like the Spezza for the most part. Not a fan of the Zetterberg so much though.

Last edited by elnewby: 12-16-2012 at 01:56 PM.