HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 09:53 AM
  #926
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Not much. Ellis in his 17 year old season would see time against the weaker teams and as a fill in when playing better teams if players needed a rest. Probably had less ES time than his PP time. Spott's not going to leave his best offensive defensemen on the bench when he trusts him defensively.
I think Dougie Hamilton and Morgan Rielly woudl have something to say about "best offensive defenseman"

Secondly just because Spott trusts him defensively in the OHL doesn't mean he's going to trust him against combos like JT Miller and Galchenyuk or Grigorenko and Yakupov.

The WJ's is a whole different ball game. If Murphy was as trusted by Spott as you claim then why was he playing in both CIS games while 4 other defensemen were not?

topched is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
  #927
hersky77
Registered User
 
hersky77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,227
vCash: 500
murphy is going to be the ryan ellis and nathan beaulieu of this tournament. Spot duty during regualr 5-5 play, but will man the pp when ever it gets called upon.

hersky77 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
  #928
ed bruin
Registered User
 
ed bruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newton
Country: United States
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
I think at this point Canada is going to be so strong up front on the top lines that my interest is in looking at the 3rd and 4th.

A lot of people are saying Brett Ritchie on the 2nd line to keep the chemistry with Strome going, but I really am excited at the possibility of having Camara-Jenner-Ritchie on the 3rd line and just banging the hell out of people. All 3 of those guys will absolutely kill people. And people were worried that we were going to be soft...
Yeah I really like the fact Canada is going to their strengths once again and that is gritt, size, and physicality. Also all of them of decent skill as well, it's a great mix of a true checking/energy line with great skill in the middle and in the top 2 line because its a lockout year. Hyped for the Juniors this year!

ed bruin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
  #929
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
On the Tavares-RNH, you're entirely misrepresenting my argument as something it's not. Where did I say Tavares was a better player predraft than Tavares is 1 year removed from his draft? I said it'll be tough for RNH to be as dominant as Tavares was, which is absolutely true. The World Juniors haven't seen someone dominate like Tavares since Jason Allison or Peter Forsberg.

Already adressed the scoring title issue, it doesn't matter, Hodgson had 1 more point, Tavares was the better/more valuable player. And Forsberg beat up on Japan, that's why he got 31 points. Don't let the point totals fool you. Besides, I said he was the most dominant since Forsberg.

I know what this is about, and regardless if RNH is a better player at 19 than Tavares at 18, it's unlikely RNH will dominate the tournement like Tavares did.

If you're proclaiming someone as the most dominant player in the tournament in almost 2 decades, that player probably should have won the tournament scoring title.

Lessy is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:57 AM
  #930
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
How does this make any sense? If RNH is a better player at 19 than Tavares was at 18, then I would expect RNH to dominate the tournament as much or more than Tavares did.
How does what you're saying make sense? Tell me, does the best player always play best? Does the best player always have as good a performance as someone else? Why did Crosby only have 9 points, was he not a generational talent, should he not have had much more? What about Malkin the next year, he was older, faster, stronger, more talented, still didn't dominate like Tavares. You're trying to say merely because RNH is better, that he will dominate as good if not more than Tavares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
You're overrating Tavares quite a bit here. There were people who thought that Hodgson was the real MVP, including some of the media at TSN. Also, from the 2005 team at forward I would say that Bergeron, Getzlaf and Carter were comparable but simply had less prominent roles. Crosby was a better player at the time but didn't have a great tournament. There shouldn't be any debate that Nugent-Hopkins is a better player right now than Tavares was in 2009. That doesn't necessarily mean that he will have the better tournament, but it's not at all unreasonable to expect it.
Here? Maybe. On TSN? Not really. Tavares was a shoo-in for MVP, no chance any one else was going to get it.

To the last parts, it doesn't matter other players were better players at the time, doesn't mean they had better tournements. Same reason why it's ignorant to assume RNH will.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
  #931
Shaun Bisson
Registered User
 
Shaun Bisson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
Lipon and Danault can both give out big hits too.
I've heard that, unfortunately because of being based in Sarnia and St.Catharines, I'm more familiar with the OHL than anything else and I haven't seen as much of Lipon and Danuault as I would have liked. Glad to see that they'll be able to throw the body around.

Shaun Bisson is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
  #932
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
If you're proclaiming someone as the most dominant player in the tournament in almost 2 decades, that player probably should have won the tournament scoring title.
You say that like Hodgson beat him by a lot. He beat him by 1 point, Tavares had 3 more goals, Hodgson had 2 more points in the Kazachstan game.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
  #933
Destroyer100
 
Destroyer100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
I've heard that, unfortunately because of being based in Sarnia and St.Catharines, I'm more familiar with the OHL than anything else and I haven't seen as much of Lipon and Danuault as I would have liked. Glad to see that they'll be able to throw the body around.
I definitely like that line though.

Destroyer100 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
  #934
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
How does what you're saying make sense? Tell me, does the best player always play best? Does the best player always have as good a performance as someone else? Why did Crosby only have 9 points, was he not a generational talent, should he not have had much more? What about Malkin the next year, he was older, faster, stronger, more talented, still didn't dominate like Tavares. You're trying to say merely because RNH is better, that he will dominate as good if not more than Tavares.


Here? Maybe. On TSN? Not really. Tavares was a shoo-in for MVP, no chance any one else was going to get it.

To the last parts, it doesn't matter other players were better players at the time, doesn't mean they had better tournements. Same reason why it's ignorant to assume RNH will.
Crosby only had 9 points because he was 17 years old. Put Crosby in that tournament at 19 and he breaks every single scoring record.

Malkin put up 10 points, one off the scoring lead. So I'd say he did pretty well.

Your logic is just terribly backwards, you're saying RNH is better, but you don't expect him to be better because "sometimes people don't play their best".

Thats like me saying You're faster than me, but in a race I don't expect you to win because sometimes you dont run your fastest.

topched is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
  #935
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,471
vCash: 500
Danault doesn't play that physical. He's a poor man Bergeron. Plays with grit and speed and tenacity. Great to see him making the team. As for the 17 yo twins, if reunited with Huberdeau, I'd be scare for the other countries defense.

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
  #936
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Crosby only had 9 points because he was 17 years old. Put Crosby in that tournament at 19 and he breaks every single scoring record.

Malkin put up 10 points, one off the scoring lead. So I'd say he did pretty well.

Your logic is just terribly backwards, you're saying RNH is better, but you don't expect him to be better because "sometimes people don't play their best".

Thats like me saying You're faster than me, but in a race I don't expect you to win because sometimes you dont run your fastest.
Wasn't Crosby a better player though? Huh I though he would have dominated the tournement

Malkin put up 10 points, but in no way dominated like Tavares, despite being "a better player".

I said you can't expect him to dominate like Tavares, because it just doesn't happen often. You keep calling my logic backwards, but your logic is disproven by just about everything in sports. The best player does not always play to his best. Sure RNH could, but to expect it? You're going to be disappointed.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
  #937
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Wasn't Crosby a better player though? Huh I though he would have dominated the tournement

Malkin put up 10 points, but in no way dominated like Tavares, despite being "a better player".

I said you can't expect him to dominate like Tavares, because it just doesn't happen often. You keep calling my logic backwards, but your logic is disproven by just about everything in sports. The best player does not always play to his best. Sure RNH could, but to expect it? You're going to be disappointed.
I would argue that Crosby at 17 playing second line minutes was not as good as Tavares at 18, in his second world jr getting first line mins.

I'm not going to argue this anymore because your logic is terrible. Come Boxing Day we'll find out just how dominant RNH is going to be and whether or not Murphy is going to be the #7 dman.

topched is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  #938
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I would argue that Crosby at 17 playing second line minutes was not as good as Tavares at 18, in his second world jr getting first line mins.

I'm not going to argue this anymore because your logic is terrible. Come Boxing Day we'll find out just how dominant RNH is going to be and whether or not Murphy is going to be the #7 dman.
Saying my logic is terrible doesn't prove anything. I never said RNH can't be as dominant, I said it's not a guarentee, and with how rare a dominating performance like that is, it's not likely either. Doesn't matter how good RNH is.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
  #939
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
My lineup:

Hopkins-Huberdeau (A)-Scheifele
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Hudon-Jenner (A)-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Ritchie
Lipon

Reilly-Hamilton (C)
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Wotherspoon
Murphy

Ashasx is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
  #940
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Here? Maybe. On TSN? Not really. Tavares was a shoo-in for MVP, no chance any one else was going to get it.
Bob McKenzie specifically said that he thought Hodgson was the MVP, and that other media did as well. So yes on TSN, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
To the last parts, it doesn't matter other players were better players at the time, doesn't mean they had better tournements. Same reason why it's ignorant to assume RNH will.
As I actually said in the post, those players had comparable tournaments. Bergeron had a better tournament. More recently you could make the case that Price or Schenn had better tournaments than Tavares as well. Malkin in 2006 on a weak Russian team had a better tournament too.

As far as Nugent-Hopkins goes, it is not at all ignorant to assume he will have a better tournament than Tavares, as he is a better player and will have better players around him. It's actually, pretty obviously, the reasonable guess to make. That does not mean it's guaranteed to happen but it is likely.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
  #941
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Bob McKenzie specifically said that he thought Hodgson was the MVP, and that other media did as well. So yes on TSN, really.



As I actually said in the post, those players had comparable tournaments. Bergeron had a better tournament. More recently you could make the case that Price or Schenn had better tournaments than Tavares as well. Malkin in 2006 on a weak Russian team had a better tournament too.

As far as Nugent-Hopkins goes, it is not at all ignorant to assume he will have a better tournament than Tavares, as he is a better player and will have better players around him. It's actually, pretty obviously, the reasonable guess to make. That does not mean it's guaranteed to happen but it is likely.
Saying stuff like that doesn't exact prove anything. I remember them saying the opposte of that.

On the second part, you're just talking out your ass now, naming off random players who acccording to you had a better tournment. For the last part, I get people questioning my logic yet no one questions this logic? You can't assume a player will beat one of the best World Junior performances ever, I don't care who the player is. If Crosby is the best player in the NHL, and has been since 2005-06, do you think it was logical to assume he would win the scoring title every season? Was it logical to think that Gretzky would be playoff MVP every time the Oilers won the cup? Everytime someone assumes something will happen because a player is "good", someone else surprises.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:09 AM
  #942
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Danault doesn't play that physical. He's a poor man Bergeron. Plays with grit and speed and tenacity. Great to see him making the team. As for the 17 yo twins, if reunited with Huberdeau, I'd be scare for the other countries defense.
You are absolutely right about Danault. He is gritty, but don't expect him to destroy people left and right. He can throw some checks, but physicality isn't his game. Positionning and forechecking, these are his strongest attributes.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
  #943
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
I don't think they will put two 17 years old player on a second line. I think top six is

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie

I think that they will put one of Mac or Drouin on the third line and the other as the 13th forward to start the tournament.

Hannibal is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:16 AM
  #944
Destroyer100
 
Destroyer100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Steve Spott just said the he can guarantee you that Drouin and Mackinnon will not be on the same line at the start of it but if it works it self out later then it does but they wont start together.

Destroyer100 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
  #945
tc23
Moderator
 
tc23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Hockey Canada announced on Friday that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be the captain of the Canadian national team for the upcoming World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia.

Forwards Scott Harrington of the London Knights and Jonathan Huberdeau of the Saint John Sea Dogs have been named the alternate captains.

More details to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=411646

tc23 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
  #946
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,416
vCash: 500
Wow, Nuge is captain and Huberdeau and Harrington have A's as per TSN. http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=411646

irunthepeg is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
  #947
Destroyer100
 
Destroyer100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
There were so many good choices and its hard to argue with those captains. Happy for them and lets go Canada.

Destroyer100 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  #948
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
At first, I wasn't convinced that RNH should be the captain even if he did play in the NHL (I'm not saying that it matters what I think). But I think he can (and probably already has) meshed well with the guys there. Him being given that responsibility, he will be looked to lead the team, and that might help him elevate his game. Sounds good to me.

jedimyrmidon is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #949
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 500
lol i remember last year everyone was like Harrington who?

Good for him, will be a very nice asset to have back there! Very calming presence

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  #950
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Wow, Nuge is captain and Huberdeau and Harrington have A's as per TSN. http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=411646
I think it is a good choice, but you think Hockey Canada wasn't thinking, if the lockout ends, would Edmonton really recall Team Canada's captain.

There was more that went into this decision than just the obvious.

Mr Writer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.