Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 05:01 PM
TZM
Par too easy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Lehkonen is a boom/bust type of player, he could easily be worthy of a top-10 pick if not for his size.

I would love if we managed to grab all of the Finns projected to go in the 1st (Barkov, Ristolainen, Lehkonen). Barkov will require a top-3 pick, but we should be able to grab Ristolainen around #20 and Lehkonen around #25 if we're lucky.

Then again, we'd have to give up too many assets for those I'm afraid.
I agree that Lehkonen could be a top10 pick if he wasn't so small. He needs to bulk up quite a bit. I put him in the same category as Teuvo Teräväinen, altho I think Lehkonen is better now than Teuvo was a year ago. I just see tremendeus potential in him because he's a shoot first guy and he understands the game well. He'll be a top20 pick if he plays like this throughout the season.

Ristolainen never was a top10 pick for me. He's got size and he's pretty confident but he makes far too easy mistakes - well he's a young guy after all. Still a great prospect for sure.

I wouldn't be dissappointed if GMs chose to pick Barkov but I'd maybe take Drouin or Monahan before him, if the pick was in top5. Ristolainen would be value for later than top20. I'm so high on Lehkonen that I'd take him in top15.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I agree that Lehkonen could be a top10 pick if he wasn't so small. He needs to bulk up quite a bit. I put him in the same category as Teuvo Teräväinen, altho I think Lehkonen is better now than Teuvo was a year ago. I just see tremendeus potential in him because he's a shoot first guy and he understands the game well. He'll be a top20 pick if he plays like this throughout the season.

Ristolainen never was a top10 pick for me. He's got size and he's pretty confident but he makes far too easy mistakes - well he's a young guy after all. Still a great prospect for sure.

I wouldn't be dissappointed if GMs chose to pick Barkov but I'd maybe take Drouin or Monahan before him, if the pick was in top5. Ristolainen would be value for later than top20. I'm so high on Lehkonen that I'd take him in top15.
I disagree on Ristolainen. Sure, he's mistake prone, but he's still young as you said. He has tremendous potential though, there really isn't a weak area in his game. He has a full set of tools and he can use some of them very effectively already. He's big, has good hands, his skating is good and he has a heavy shot. To me, his only downside could be his defensive awareness and/or his hockey IQ. Of course, that's a rather big minus.

To me, it really depends on where he's available. If he's there on mid 1st, I'd consider him seriously. If he's there on late 1st, say #22 ->, take him and run.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

programming alert: Lucia's Irish are playing Michigan State on NBCsportsnet now.

Edit: wrong thread... oops

Old
12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I think it should be noted that Craig Button has Ristolainen at 23 on his most recent LIST. He saw Ristolainen in person 2 weeks ago, I believe.
Button doesn't generally care for European defensemen who don't put up points. His final rankings for 2011 had Adam Larsson at 8. I wouldn't put too much stock into Button's ranking for Ristolainen as he's just the kind of player Button doesn't tend to care for.

Button's lists are most interesting because of how they resemble a real NHL team's list. A group like FC or THW will generally put out a "consensus" type list. Button puts out a scout's list. He'll be way higher on a player than others, and is willing to put that player right up near the top, just like a real scout might (he had Phillips at 15!). On the other hand, he'll have a player almost completely off the list because he doesn't care for him (Grigorenko at 20?).

Old
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Best counter I can find is Hampus Lindholm last year. #10 on Button's and only had 9 points or something. Can't really disagree with that. Also depends on what kind of LHD LD we want to add.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Best counter I can find is Hampus Lindholm last year. #10 on Button's and only had 9 points or something. Can't really disagree with that. Also depends on what kind of LHD LD we want to add.
Also, Brodin was 10th on Button's list in June 2011.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Artturi Lehkonen had a two point night. His stats are now 31gp - 9 goals - 12 assists - 21 points.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:40 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Would love to add Barkov or Ristolainen to our pool.. Its always nice to have players with size..

Old
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

say the wild get another 4-8 draft pick. We know who will go 1,2,3. Do the wild have to choose a top forward since there are so many in the draft? Any thoughts who we would like in the 4-8 range?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Dr Jan Itor

If we get #4, we grab Monahan.

If we fall 5-10, I really wouldn't mind trading down to 10-12, grabbing an extra 2nd (maybe Fasching or Santini are still there), and taking the 6'5'' Russian D, Zadarov.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

At Canada's eval camp today Drouin looked incredible, he was the best player on the ice for Canada as a 17 year old. As expected, Mackinnon was also very impressive. Shinkaruk was good but didn't necessarily stand out. Monahan was basically invisible (which is neither good nor bad for a draft eligible player).

Old
12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If we get #4, we grab Monahan.

If we fall 5-10, I really wouldn't mind trading down to 10-12, grabbing an extra 2nd (maybe Fasching or Santini are still there), and taking the 6'5'' Russian D, Zadarov.
agreed

Grab Monahan or Drouin if posible!!!! If not trade down and hope to get Zadarov, Pulock or Ristolainen

I do like the idea of getting more D prospects if Fletcher doesn't get one of his top 3 offensive hopefuls

Old
12-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I'd like to think that we'd draft Jones over Mackinnon, simply because we need defense more.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'd like to think that we'd draft Jones over Mackinnon, simply because we need defense more.
I'd like to think that we'd draft the best player available. A different story is, though, that which one of them is the better prospect, or if it's someone else entirely (Barkov).

Old
12-14-2012, 09:38 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Yeah, you don't draft for need with the 1st overall.

I think you can't pass Mackinnon. He's light-years ahead of any forward prospects we have, including Granlund.

IMO, he's better than Hall, RNH, and Nail.

Jones is going to be amazing. Whoever gets him (plz not the Oilers!!!!) is going to so happy. But I think we'd go Mackinnon.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:48 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

move this recent draft talk to 2013 prospect/draft thread? I would love to talk about who the wild are going to draft over there and who are going to be the top picks.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
P10p

Say Minnesota gets 1st overall, the team in third wants Mackinnon so bad they offer us their whole draft for first overall? I'd have to consider taking one of Drouin, Barkov, or Jones all those picks and stocking up on D with the other high picks. Idk just tossin ideas around thinking of NYI last year.... lol

Old
12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
P10p

Actually thinking about that, I'd have to keep the first overall lmao.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Say Minnesota gets 1st overall, the team in third wants Mackinnon so bad they offer us their whole draft for first overall? I'd have to consider taking one of Drouin, Barkov, or Jones all those picks and stocking up on D with the other high picks. Idk just tossin ideas around thinking of NYI last year.... lol
If a team in 3rd wants to trade us a butt load of picks or their whole draft practically, I would do that in a heartbeat. Top 3 you are guranteed mac, jones or barkov. so at the very worst you get an outstanding player in jones or barkov and a ton of picks.

If a team outside of the top 3 wants to trade for the first overall, I would probably say no.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
D U M B A

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
I still don't know which side is more pathetic, New York for proposing that trade or Columbus for turning it down.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:11 PM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

CBJ saying no to all their picks is a frickin parody.

My gut tells me we end up with Risto.. and i wouldnt mind it.. At all..

Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Three players I can see Minnesota having high on their lists:

Keaton Thompson
Steven Santini
Connor Hurley

Old
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
If a team in 3rd wants to trade us a butt load of picks or their whole draft practically, I would do that in a heartbeat. Top 3 you are guranteed mac, jones or barkov. so at the very worst you get an outstanding player in jones or barkov and a ton of picks.

If a team outside of the top 3 wants to trade for the first overall, I would probably say no.
would you still do it if it was say the 2004 draft? 1: ovie 2: Malkin 3: Cam Barker, its not easy to say oh do it for the whole draft, if there isn't someone who is a solid player at number 3 you don't trade down.

sure its always a crap shoot, but at the end you have to weigh the benefits of trading down to 3rd overall to pick up a bunch of picks, i would rather have a franchise center, then a bunch of fillers.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:15 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
would you still do it if it was say the 2004 draft? 1: ovie 2: Malkin 3: Cam Barker, its not easy to say oh do it for the whole draft, if there isn't someone who is a solid player at number 3 you don't trade down.

sure its always a crap shoot, but at the end you have to weigh the benefits of trading down to 3rd overall to pick up a bunch of picks, i would rather have a franchise center, then a bunch of fillers.
I would do it for this years draft since its way deeper than last years for example. With top 3 you are guaranteed a good player. With a draft class thats less deep, I probably wouldnt

Old
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

lets talk about some of the local guys for this years draft. Would you spend a draft pick on guys like Cammarata, Kloos, Besse, Coatta? those are just a few that come to mind.

Closed Thread