HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 03:37 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Any word on the Rick?
two.

"Nach Uniondale!"

Old
11-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Hope this is true and he just isn't getting playing time because of his poor performance for now...

Would hate to see him injured again...
This would be just as bad. this League is on par with ECHL tyoe teams. If he cant play because he cant cut it there then just wow

Old
12-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Alpina
Rookie User

Some rumours say that he has still to many small injuries. But some people who watched a training session reported, that he is practise very well. But it looks like, that he will never play again for the SC Riessersee.

Another problem are the rules of the 2.Bundesliga. Each team have to play with less than six foreign players.

And because of Markus Keller the Nr.1 Goalkeeper is in good form it´s more important that the three foreign offensive players are on the rink. The same in the defense due to some injured players.

He is not even the second Goalie. Only sitting in the VIP box every game.
But it seems, that he is still impressed about the whole area. A mixture of holiday and practice.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:12 AM
WeberStreit

There's a article in the Spiegel, one of the most notorious and biggest news magazine in Europe.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-89470566.html

I try to translate some of it. And to be honest, it doesn't sound good, DiPietro seems to to suck big time:

Bader, the GM of the SC Riessersee is watching the workout of his team. DiPietro is staying in the net. His teammates are firing some slapshots at DiPietro. He isn't stopping a lot.

Bader shakes his head. "He seems to have some troubles with his glove hand."
DiPietro would probably be a happy man, if the glove hand would be his only problem.
The truth is: This guy is a wreck. He has had a lot of injuries in the past. DiPietro can't remember his last day without any pain.
Bader is looking again on the ice. The training ends with a shootout. The players score on almost every shot. Most of the guys of his team aren't even pros. The have to work part time. But that doesn't stop them to score on Rick.

--

Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Renbarg

Meh. The Rick in practice and The Rick in a game are two different things. I'm sure The Rick could stop a distance slap shot from a semi-pro in his sleep. I think that's just a function of him not going all out in practice (which is not uncommon for goalies).

Old
12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Dan-o16

This just continues to be sad...

Old
12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
OpAck

My german is non-existent...but I'm assuming the title of this article is "Man of Glass"? LOL

Yep...that's Rick.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
Just retire and do the Isles (the team you ever so love) a favor by getting your contract off their books.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Just retire and do the Isles (the team you ever so love) a favor by getting your contract off their books.
Renounce all material possessions, and agree to give up the thing you most love doing for life. Then talk.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
OpAck

My Google Chrome Translate works kinda well. And oh my...it really tears into Rick.

SC Riessersee sounds like the Germany's version of the Islanders franchise. Seriously, it's eery. They won their last two championships in 1978 and 1981...then the team fell deeply into debt and have been in a state of chaos ever since. Extremely bare bones payroll, poor performance on the ice and just a mess off the ice for years. The "CEO" and Manager is Ralph Bader...who was a longtime fan of the team with very little experience running a sports franchise (ring a bell?). And he's not like the other CEO/managers around the league...who are largely "suit and tie investment bankers". Kinda unconventional.

Rick apparently was ACTIVELY searching for work during the lockout, enough that he actually paid his way to Germany. It sounds like Bader was expecting an "elite, All-Star" goalie...obviously not doing his homework, though I think they mention that he's aware of Rick's performance (or lack thereof) the past 4 seasons. He mentions that the coach told him he was already set in goal, but Bader couldn't pass up the opportunity...figuring that this cash-strapped team could attract some sponsors. That obviously didn't happen. Rick gets there and as mentioned, is abysmal in practice. They mention his wrecked hip and knees and that Rick probably can't remember his last pain-free day. And now this mediocre team is scoring left and right on this $67M guy.

It ends with Bader suggesting that maybe Rick would be better suited sponsoring the team, and not playing for them. The coach is now pretty clear that he doesn't want him...and with the team 5-14-2-2, the fans are chanting for some other goalie (I guess the other backup is no good either). They mention Bader staring Rick down as he came off the ice and I think Rick smashed his stick in disgust.

In other words...a BIG mess.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
My Google Chrome Translate works kinda well. And oh my...it really tears into Rick.

SC Riessersee sounds like the Germany's version of the Islanders franchise. Seriously, it's eery. They won their last two championships in 1978 and 1981...then the team fell deeply into debt and have been in a state of chaos ever since. Extremely bare bones payroll, poor performance on the ice and just a mess off the ice for years. The "CEO" and Manager is Ralph Bader...who was a longtime fan of the team with very little experience running a sports franchise (ring a bell?). And he's not like the other CEO/managers around the league...who are largely "suit and tie investment bankers". Kinda unconventional.

Rick apparently was ACTIVELY searching for work during the lockout, enough that he actually paid his way to Germany. It sounds like Bader was expecting an "elite, All-Star" goalie...obviously not doing his homework, though I think they mention that he's aware of Rick's performance (or lack thereof) the past 4 seasons. He mentions that the coach told him he was already set in goal, but Bader couldn't pass up the opportunity...figuring that this cash-strapped team could attract some sponsors. That obviously didn't happen. Rick gets there and as mentioned, is abysmal in practice. They mention his wrecked hip and knees and that Rick probably can't remember his last pain-free day. And now this mediocre team is scoring left and right on this $67M guy.

It ends with Bader suggesting that maybe Rick would be better suited sponsoring the team, and not playing for them. The coach is now pretty clear that he doesn't want him...and with the team 5-14-2-2, the fans are chanting for some other goalie (I guess the other backup is no good either). They mention Bader staring Rick down as he came off the ice and I think Rick smashed his stick in disgust.

In other words...a BIG mess.
I don't get it. If Ricky has only played one game why are the fans chanting for another goalie? Has he been playing this whole time? I'm confused.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Renounce all material possessions, and agree to give up the thing you most love doing for life. Then talk.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't think seafoam ignored all medical advice, lied about feeling just swell every injury and compounded his maladies and put his career in jeopardy with weightlifting regiments not suited for goalies/his line of work.''

So, yeah, he should save his pride and retire.

Injured.

With insurance paying.

A lot.

Of money.

For stupid contract.

Paying stupid goalie.

A LOT.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't think seafoam ignored all medical advice, lied about feeling just swell every injury and compounded his maladies and put his career in jeopardy with weightlifting regiments not suited for goalies/his line of work.''

So, yeah, he should save his pride and retire.

Injured.

With insurance paying.

A lot.

Of money.

For stupid contract.

Paying stupid goalie.

A LOT.
I don't really get the DiPietro hate. At least when it comes to his contract. I think any sane person would have signed it. The problem was the fact that the contract was even on the table to begin with.

Had DP been the type of player who basically quit on his team and the fans after getting paid, I'd understand the hate. But he's actually done the opposite. The guy can't stay healthy but he hasn't given up on salvaging a career. I actually respect him for that, regardless of whether or not I think he'll ever succeed in becoming even a decent NHL goaltender again.

Would it be nice to not have that $4.5M on the books? Sure. If it wasn't on the books, do I think the Isles would use it to bring in a UFA to help this team? Probably not. Therefore, I don't really think it matters either way.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Would it be nice to not have that $4.5M on the books? Sure. If it wasn't on the books, do I think the Isles would use it to bring in a UFA to help this team? Probably not. Therefore, I don't really think it matters either way.
If money were the only issue, I don't think anyone here would have a problem either. The issue is that as long as Rick keeps attempting comebacks, he's going to be played to see if his body can hack it because Wang needs to justify his salary. That complicates matters on the ice and in the lockerroom and pisses off the fanbase.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I don't really get the DiPietro hate. At least when it comes to his contract. I think any sane person would have signed it. The problem was the fact that the contract was even on the table to begin with.

Had DP been the type of player who basically quit on his team and the fans after getting paid, I'd understand the hate. But he's actually done the opposite. The guy can't stay healthy but he hasn't given up on salvaging a career. I actually respect him for that, regardless of whether or not I think he'll ever succeed in becoming even a decent NHL goaltender again.

Who HATES DiPietro? I hate his contract and the decisions HE made and what he has and will continue to do to my team.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
If money were the only issue, I don't think anyone here would have a problem either. The issue is that as long as Rick keeps attempting comebacks, he's going to be played to see if his body can hack it because Wang needs to justify his salary. That complicates matters on the ice and in the lockerroom and pisses off the fanbase.
Then criticize Wang. He can tell RD to go home. He still has to pay him, though.

Not accusing you of this, but some people must be really high on themselves if they think they can tell someone to decline a fortune that is actually owed to them.

Rick may be in denial, I don't know. But that has zero to do with his contract.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Then criticize Wang. He can tell RD to go home. He still has to pay him, though.

Not accusing you of this, but some people must be really high on themselves if they think they can tell someone to decline a fortune that is actually owed to them.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I totally agree with you Dan-o. As much as I wish the Rick issue would just go away, I can't fault the guy for trying as hard as he does to not only revive his career, but to not have to leave all that money on the table. On the other hand, it's more than crystal clear that he's never going to regain form, especially if he can't hack it in the German league. So, continuing to play him in the NHL isn't going to benefit anyone. Wang needs to buy him out if there are decent provisions built into the transitional rules for the new CBA. If the cost is still too steep, they need to start making life a little less cozy for Ricky. He needs to be demoted and ride the bus in the A, even if the new CBA doesn't allow teams to bury salary in the minors. He's got to not only be told, but shown that he's no longer in the team's plans. Maybe then he'll get it through his thick skull that it's time to pack it in. But, like you said, that's all on Wang.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:27 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:

Oh, many of us do criticize Wang for the contract.....I just think that recent events should hopefully make DP aware that if he truly believes he can make a comeback, "forcing" the Isles' hand (not literally) to save him a place on the roster when he is obviously still convalescing does neither he, nor the Islanders a bit of good. I'd rather see him work his way back from this in Europe or the ECHL now - before I would have been happy with seeing him take time in the AHL to recover....after this, I'd rather see him playing in a league where he can heal, recover and properly dominate.

Hate and proper allocation of assets/hinderances are two different things....I have no hate for the guy; I only think that this further underlines that an opinion that DP shouldn't be skating in an Islanders jersey until his play proves recovery beyond a shadow of a doubt is slipping towards being an obvious fact.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 12-14-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post.
Old
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
Cheers

Dan-o,

Please, do not ask him to start to criticize Wang again. PLEASE! It's just so annoying.

Cheers,

Wanderson

Old
12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Just read the article.

WOW!!!

Ich bin sprachlos...

Old
12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Islanderfan17

Can't really blame Rick, imagine having an entire career ahead of you and having had so much potential and then it just falling completely out of your hands, that is ROUGH. Rick clearly loves the sport and the team, I can't really fault the guy. Is he in denial? No doubt about it, but this is a human being we are talking about and denial isn't necessarily an uncommon thing.

I'd probably be trying to do the same thing in his spot, though at some point he really does need to hang em' up. There is still PLENTY of ways that he can stay involved in Hockey and have a rewarding career (on top of still getting his contract money).

Old
12-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Just read the article.

WOW!!!

Ich bin sprachlos...
Das muss das erste Mal sein jemand war sprachlos von HF!

My German is rusty.

The hate for Rick being selfish, I can get. The hate that the contract was Rick's fault, I will never get.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
OpAck

Quote:
I don't get it. If Ricky has only played one game why are the fans chanting for another goalie? Has he been playing this whole time? I'm confused.
I wondered that myself. Sounds like there's alot of frustration with the team carrying 3 goalies and the coach was giving starts to the other backup and still keeping Rick in the picture. They probably have a bonafide starter that is not getting the attention/starts he deserves and the fans know it.

May be very similar to the Isles situation in net...the season is slipping away and we're committed to three goalies splitting the load when they should be riding the best goalie.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
onesinceforty

There is a lot of buzz on Islander Mania how the German experiment is over and he is on his way
or already back from the failed final solution. No healthier or effective in Europe.
Put this broken legged horse down already!

Old
12-16-2012, 03:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
There is a lot of buzz on Islander Mania how the German experiment is over and he is on his way
or already back from the failed final solution. No healthier or effective in Europe.
Put this broken legged horse down already!
oy! Too soon! TOO SOON!

Closed Thread