HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dal-nj

Old
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
capitalsrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
They said that in 08/09 as well...
I hope your talking about the devils...

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
40 games is different than trusting your team in Kinkaid who has proven in no way that he will be a starter in 2 years. Devils are not going to get by with bad goaltending as seen by how they aren't exactly a powerhouse with the best goalie of all time.
Quote:
Those are there biggest assets because they have nothing on offense, not because they are good assets.

I can see it now...

Wedgewood being backed up by Kinkaid who will apparently be the goaltending tandem for New Jersey in two years.
Did anyone ever say that Kinkaid will be the starter?

No, we just said that the most likely scenario, and the best, is that the Devils sign a UFA goaltender when Marty and Hedberg's deals are up. Someone like Theodore, who is a UFA that year, and they split time with Kinkaid or Wedgewood, whichever is ready. There's no reason for the Devils to give up their BEST defensive prospect for a goaltender prospect whose questionably better than Kinkaid or Wedgewood. He hasn't exactly had the best statlines.

Then again, you can look and see that the Devils have two AHL goalies in the top 10 in GAA and I believe Frazee is top 10 as well in save percentage. I think people around here really underestimate Frazee, myself included until I started watching him play.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
40 games is different than trusting your team in Kinkaid who has proven in no way that he will be a starter in 2 years. Devils are not going to get by with bad goaltending as seen by how they aren't exactly a powerhouse with the best goalie of all time.
What has Campbell proven at the pro level? Why would Campbell be any better goaltender at the NHL level than Wedgewood or Kinkaid?

Jason MacIsaac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
No, but you can get the obvious facts that a 3rd round C prospect average AHL goalie is not going to successfully replace Martin Brodeur, A future HOF and probably the best goalie of all time. Devils fans expect that their goaltending situation will be fine because they have never had any problems in the past years and have never had to worry about it. You will realize how much the team relies on Brodeur after he leaves and you put Wedgewood in his place.
We're not asking our prospects to replace Marty. No one can replace him.

All we want is an adequate guy who knows what he's doing and doesn't blow games.

See: Scott Clemmensen, 2009.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
We drafted his ass in the first round. We're waiting to see how he pans out, so no deal.
My feeling exactly. Success or failure, I want to see it play out in Dallas.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:34 PM
hefsbeaver

as a fan of neither of these teams I would think that Merril has more value than Campbell as long as he is healthy

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
We're not asking our prospects to replace Marty. No one can replace him.

All we want is an adequate guy who knows what he's doing and doesn't blow games.

See: Scott Clemmensen, 2009.
in 2009 Brodeur wasn't retiring.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
That's not the point of that example though. It just shows that if the Devils can play at an exceptional level for the majority of a season with a goalie tandem of Clemmer and Weekes, replacing Marty at this moment is not a major concern as some make it out to be.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Don't know why you're shooting down the idea of Wedgewood, or Kinkaid eventually being an NHL starter. I doubt that's the tandem in 2014. I'm pretty sure we'll sign an older stop gap goalie, and one of the prospects will back up for a year.

As far as 08/09 goes that was the perfect year for Brodeur to go down if there was one. Most years we really needed Brodeur since the last lockout. In 10/11 it didn't matter who was in net cause the whole team sucked for half a year, and goaltending was not the biggest problem. Last year he wasn't that good in the first half.

Aside from that we were fine without him for most of the 08/09 season because we scored 40+ more goals than the season before. In 07/08 we were shutout 11 times. Scored under 200 goals, and our goal differential was a positive by not even 10 with a Vezina season from Brodeur. In 06/07 Brodeur won 32 games by only a goal. Clemmensen, and Weekes didn't win nearly that many games by just a goal. As good as Clemmensen played that year, Brodeur was even better the two seasons before that. If Brodeur gets injured in either of the previous two seasons before that then we miss the playoffs or barely make it as an 8th seed. Even with Clemmensen playing as well as he did.

Last edited by Bleedred: 12-14-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
hlaverty06

I could see Backstrom-wedgewood or Kipper-Wedgewood pairing splitting time 50-50. Let Wedgewood get comfortable and then bring up Kinkaid

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Who gives a ****.

The team can win games without Brodeur now, that's obvious. Right now, today, December 14th, 2012, Marty Brodeur an average goaltender at best. So that means, for our team to be successful, we need to replace him with....a goaltender that's average or better.

Marty's legacy is never going to be touched. We don't want it to be. And we're not giving up prime assets for a question mark guy that isn't better than the question marks we already have.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Lol, why does the reason for Brodeur's absence from the lineup matter in regards to how the Devils perform without him?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:23 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lol, why does the reason for Brodeur's absence from the lineup matter in regards to how the Devils perform without him?
He carries the team

Old
12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
He carries the team
5 years ago he did.
Coming out of the lockout with an offense that was consistently in the bottom half (bottom third) of the league and a defense that was watered down from its glory days.... Brodeur dragged some pretty mediocre teams into division titles and playoff berths.

There's a reason why he won those Vezinas.

Over the course of the past few years, and especially now under DeBoer, the team is transitioning itself to rely a lot less on goaltending and more on the offense.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
He carries the team
Not for the last 5 years.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
He carries the team
So he psychologically carries the team? Because if he's out of the lineup it doesn't really matter what the reason is in terms of New Jersey's on-ice performance.

Also, to repeat, you might have missed Brodeur's below average performance in the regular season last year.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

The last we saw of Brodeur from post all star break until the SCF ended he was well above average posting a consistent 921 save percentage, and 2.05 GAA all the way up until game 6 of the SCF. That disaster of a game took his save percentage from 922 down to 917 for the playoffs.

Won't say he was carrying the team because we had a better team offensively than the 06/07, and 07/08 teams. MUCH better, but I can remember him stealing quite a few games for us in the second half, and the playoffs.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
So he psychologically carries the team? Because if he's out of the lineup it doesn't really matter what the reason is in terms of New Jersey's on-ice performance.

Also, to repeat, you might have missed Brodeur's below average performance in the regular season last year.
I wouldn't say below average.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I wouldn't say below average.
Brodeur had an average regular season, he's been average recently except for times when he gets hot. However, like someone said earlier, this is not the Devils goaltender of the early post-lockout teams that carried mediocre teams on his back. This is obviously a weathered down goalie, who has brief showings of his prime performances, but aside from that, he's just like every decent goalie in the league.

As he is now, he's replaceable, and the Devils had a hell of a season considering that Brodeur is no longer the top goalie he once was. This team does not need Brodeur to bail them out and steal games like he used to, he rarely does that. They just need him to get the job done, if they find the right goalie that can mesh with their style of play, then we will be fine. Hedberg fit so well here because he fits our system, just like Brodeur fit the trapping Devils of the early 2000s. His stick handling and rebound control made the trap even better.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

If Hedberg plays the whole playoffs we don't make it past the Flyers likely. Main reason is because Brodeur's puck handling shutdown the forecheck of the Flyers, and Rangers. Didn't work so much on the Kings. And that was with the 3 gaffes he made in the playoffs while playing the puck too that caused goals against. Sadly that's all that will be remembered. Hedberg is among the worst goaltenders in the league at playing the puck. It's very often that you will see him battling with 3 of 4 members of the opposition behind the net, and when this happens it's for sure a goal against.

Also Brodeur was not as below average as you think last year. Pull up his split stats on yahoo. He was robbed possibly 60 to 70 saves last year which would bring his save percentage up from a 908 to 911 or 912. On average the team gave up 2 less shots on goal per game this year at home. That's pretty significant, and this has been the case since around 99 with the undercounting of shots in New Jersey. This is legit too. One year he had a home save percentage of 905, and a road save percentage of 923 while playing the same amount of games, and almost the same minutes in net.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hedberg is among the worst goaltenders in the league at playing the puck.
Perhaps, but he'll always have this:

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Perhaps, but he'll always have this:

Haha don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with Hedberg clearing the puck down the ice. It's when he wanders out of his net that gets your heart racing.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
hlaverty06

I cringe everytime Moose touches the puck.....

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote