HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  #126
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post


You mean average of 5.58 hours per day over the year? NYC gets and average 6.57 hours per day.
I'm not following you now .This is where you got the whole "only 1 hour of sunlight in December" idea, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the actual sunshine? Cloud cover? Here is lists UFA as recieving 1 hour of sunlight (not daylight) per day in December, Edmonton on the other hand, is one of the sunniest cities in Canada... Maybe it's not complete darkness as most are taking it, maybe it's cloudy and gloomy too.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...europe/ufa.php

But you guys are probably right, Hockey Canada is just a bunch of ignorant *******s...
Well that same site says Toronto gets 2, same with Edmonton.
I'm sorry to break it to you but that's what he said...
Quote:
“They’re telling us to be prepared for 24 hours of dusk or darkness,” Spott was saying Tuesday in Kitchener, where he’s head coach of the OHL Rangers. “This is going to be one of the challenges. . . . Obviously your body is motivated by light. . . . We’ve got some plans to address that, to make sure the boys are getting the light that’s required.”
Not that this whole thing matters **** all but since there's no hockey going on, it's not like there's other things to discuss

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
  #127
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
I'm not following you now .This is where you got the whole "only 1 hour of sunlight in December" idea, no?



Well that same site says Toronto gets 2, same with Edmonton.
I'm sorry to break it to you but that's what he said...

Not that this whole thing matters **** all but since there's no hockey going on, it's not like there's other things to discuss
No. I did my own search for sunshine hours.

2038 is the average hours of sunshine per year for Toronto, = 44% hours are sunshine. December our low gets 27%

I'd love to know who this "they" is.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
  #128
just22
meat and taters
 
just22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Why does everyone even give a ****? Let them do whatever they want if they think it may help them win. Is everyone an expert on HF?

just22 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 08:09 PM
  #129
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Because the tournament is usually held in such exciting,fascinating, desirable fun places such as Edmonton, Buffalo, Saskatoon, Grand Forks, Leksand etc. etc.

I'm sure they spend almost all of their time either at the rink, the hotel or commuting between these two places anyway.
I'd put Edmonton aside, it's not a bad town, don't know anything about Leksand, but yep on the other three.

Malmo will be party central just because of Copenhagen.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
  #130
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,676
vCash: 703


Joining the Rush is all over this.

also unrelated, but involves goalie bowling

octopi is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:55 AM
  #131
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Why does everyone even give a ****? Let them do whatever they want if they think it may help them win. Is everyone an expert on HF?
Don't know about you but I expect well paid professionals to know better than to believe there will be polar nights in a place that's a thousand miles south of the arctic circle. It kind of does make you question their intelligence, no?

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
  #132
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Had to google it
Dec 14 hours of daylight UFA 7 HOURS 15 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=356
Dec 14 hours of daylight in my hometown Moncton 8 HOURS 39 MINUTES AND 34 SECONDS.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...my.html?n=1129
Toronto 8 HOURS 57 MINUTES 27 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=250
Edmonton is about the same as UFA
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...nomy.html?n=80
We're talking about an hour and SOME minutes.........wow. I hope nobody suffers.
Hope we never play this event in Whitehorse.
Which just for the record is 5 HOURS 42 MINUTES today
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=679


Last edited by Alpine: 12-14-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Alpine is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  #133
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Don't know about you but I expect well paid professionals to know better than to believe there will be polar nights in a place that's a thousand miles south of the arctic circle. It kind of does make you question their intelligence, no?
To be fair, they are hockey professionals, not geography professors.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  #134
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Had to google it
Dec 14 hours of daylight UFA 7 HOURS 15 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=356
Dec 14 hours of daylight in my hometown Moncton 8 HOURS 39 MINUTES AND 34 SECONDS.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...my.html?n=1129
Toronto 8 HOURS 57 MINUTES 27 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=250
Edmonton is about the same as UFA
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...nomy.html?n=80
We're talking about an hour and SOME minutes.........wow. I hope nobody suffers.
Hope we never play this event in Whitehorse.
Which just for the record is 5 HOURS 42 MINUTES today
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=679
Again, I am thinking its the whole cloud cover thing, not hours of sunlight. I've never been to Ufa, but if there is as much cloud cover as they say, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down. or atleast thats what HC might be thinking.

I commend them for wanting to give the kids the best, even if I don't agree with the method.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:31 AM
  #135
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
To be fair, they are hockey professionals, not geography professors.
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map? Reminds me when embedded journalists were showing up with leafs painted on their shoes during Desert Storm.

But I think it's great how you are willing to go to the ends of the earth to defend them. You, sir, are a true fan and a patriot, I wish I had your devotion.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
  #136
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Again, I am thinking its the whole cloud cover thing, not hours of sunlight. I've never been to Ufa, but if there is as much cloud cover as they say, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down. or atleast thats what HC might be thinking.

I commend them for wanting to give the kids the best, even if I don't agree with the method.
Next will be ice size...to go to left field.
At this age group they will have played on NHL size, Olympic size and under sized through-out their time in hockey.
The media will jump on it because they mostly cover NHL in Canada with little knowledge of community rinks where these kids learnt to play.
I'm sure Nathan MacKinnon is used to fog and cloud. Huberdeau after 4 years in Saint John where businesses advertiise "outside the fog belt" must be scared of the sun
Talking points and built in excuses is all.


Last edited by Alpine: 12-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Alpine is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:42 AM
  #137
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map? Reminds me when embedded journalists were showing up with leafs painted on their shoes during Desert Storm.

But I think it's great how you are willing to go to the ends of the earth to defend them. You, sir, are a true fan and a patriot, I wish I had your devotion.
Do you really think it was high on his priority list to pull out a map and double check the info that some sort of "expert" game him? Clearly someone was wrong, but to fault someone for info they were given by someone who is suppose to know their stuff?

And remember this came from the Waterloo recorder, not BBC radio. We don't know if those were his exact words taken in context, or a small time writer for a small time paper trying to get hits.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
  #138
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map?
He probably saw it on CNN :

http://c.cslacker.com/2341l.jpg

http://www.ikypros.com/assets/image/...iginal/CNN.jpg

http://media.rtl.fr/online/image/201...-espagnole.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MNNgPxzs8m...%2BNorwich.jpg

jekoh is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
  #139
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I just find it hard ot believe that someone at Hockey Canada would have purposely said that Ufa gets 24 hours darkness. Althought I could be wrong, but if they on;y get 1 hour of sunshine a day, I could understand the misquote/misinfo based on hhe was told


You mean average of 5.58 hours per day over the year? NYC gets and average 6.57 hours per day. Our low is 3.73 average hours in Dec.
If Toronto gets 3.73 hours of sunlight in December, as you say, keeping in mind that Toronto is at a significantly lower latitude than Ufa, does a difference of 2 hours and 45 minutes in the course of a day really merit a lot of elaborate measures to compensate? They are not going to be there for 4 or 5 years - just 2 weeks! Someone mentioned just giving them Vitamin D tablets, and that would seem to suffice without a "spend it you've got it" attitude.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
  #140
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Again, I am thinking its the whole cloud cover thing, not hours of sunlight. I've never been to Ufa, but if there is as much cloud cover as they say, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down. or atleast thats what HC might be thinking.

I commend them for wanting to give the kids the best, even if I don't agree with the method.
I don't know about cloud cover in Ufa, but it is rare for places in mid-continent, not adjacent to any major body of water (I exclude rivers here) such as Ufa to have a lot of cloud cover at any time of year. I don't know about the frequency of rain or snow in Ufa, but I do not know that precipitation is generally sparse throughout continental Russia. It would seem to be a real anomaly if Ufa had the same kind of cloud cover you find in Vancouver or Seattle.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
  #141
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
If Toronto gets 3.73 hours of sunlight in December, as you say, keeping in mind that Toronto is at a significantly lower latitude than Ufa, does a difference of 2 hours and 45 minutes in the course of a day really merit a lot of elaborate measures to compensate? They are not going to be there for 4 or 5 years - just 2 weeks! Someone mentioned just giving them Vitamin D tablets, and that would seem to suffice without a "spend it you've got it" attitude.
Elaborate? Turning on a light is elaborate?

Again, not saying I agree with what they are doing, but to jump down their throat for wanting the best for their players is pretty sad.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
  #142
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I don't know about cloud cover in Ufa, but it is rare for places in mid-continent, not adjacent to any major body of water (I exclude rivers here) such as Ufa to have a lot of cloud cover at any time of year. I don't know about the frequency of rain or snow in Ufa, but I do not know that precipitation is generally sparse throughout continental Russia. It would seem to be a real anomaly if Ufa had the same kind of cloud cover you find in Vancouver or Seattle.
I'm not a climatologist, just a guy regurgitating info I read on here. I can only work with what I am given. Kind of like Spott

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
  #143
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post


What a joke, someone needs to get reamed to this. It's making Hockey Canada look pretty stupid.
Im just amazed at the outrage of this. People sh*it on Edmonton all the time with facts that arent true and no one cares. Someone slags a russian city and there is 7 pages of outrage calling for hockey canada staff to be fired

Jamin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
  #144
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
+5 in Toronto and sunny. I don't know how you guys (not just Russians (I'm looking at you Winnipeg and Edmonton), take temps like that on a regular basis. Thats not even enjoyable winter cold.

Edit: I like how big and open that intersection is! Toronto needs more of those.



Ah yes, we forgot, a chef from Canada is only allowed to make Donair, Beavertails and Poutine. On a special day they get grilled cheese, but only if they win.





Fact!
Because contrary to eastern media it isnt like this on a regular basis. You can count on 2 hands the times the temperature drops below -20.

Currently minus 5 and very sunny.Took my dog for a walk didnt need gloves or a hat. This just goes to my other post. People sterotype about Edmonton and Winnipeg so much and no on cares but god forbid Ulf is getting criticized...

Jamin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
  #145
Schnurvel
Registered User
 
Schnurvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Växjö/Linköping
Country: Sweden
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Because contrary to eastern media it isnt like this on a regular basis. You can count on 2 hands the times the temperature drops below -20.

Currently minus 5 and very sunny.Took my dog for a walk didnt need gloves or a hat. This just goes to my other post. People sterotype about Edmonton and Winnipeg so much and no on cares but god forbid Ulf is getting criticized...
Hey, leave Ulf alone, he didn't do anything wrong!


...or did you mean Ufa?

Hint: Ulf is an Old Norse name (quite common in Sweden, at least), Ufa is the name of the Russian city :p

Schnurvel is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
  #146
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Because contrary to eastern media it isnt like this on a regular basis. You can count on 2 hands the times the temperature drops below -20.

Currently minus 5 and very sunny.Took my dog for a walk didnt need gloves or a hat. This just goes to my other post. People sterotype about Edmonton and Winnipeg so much and no on cares but god forbid Ulf is getting criticized...
Minus tirdytoo!


Oh believe me, if some so called professional organization is bringing some ridiculous stuff with them to Edmonton or Winnipeg, I'll be all over that **** too! I don't discriminate when it comes to calling out ignorance and stupidity but there is so much of it and I'm just one man.


Last edited by BobDobolina: 12-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
  #147
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,385
vCash: 500
I knew I recognized Canada's coach from somewhere!



Zine is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:16 PM
  #148
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Germany
Posts: 42,362
vCash: 500

NyQuil is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
  #149
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Since we are learning about weather today, that sunshine stat site you are referring shows that Toronto gets 2 hours of sunlight a day. Crucial difference, especially for guys who are inside all the time!
100% more of anything is a crucial difference. In fact, it's double.

Now we are learning about weather and math. I'll throw in a travel tip, do not go to Manitoba or Saskatchewan in the winter, spring, summer or fall.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
  #150
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Lewis Black on traveling Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeH0ppqMbk

Alpine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.