HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post

You mean average of 5.58 hours per day over the year? NYC gets and average 6.57 hours per day.
I'm not following you now .This is where you got the whole "only 1 hour of sunlight in December" idea, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the actual sunshine? Cloud cover? Here is lists UFA as recieving 1 hour of sunlight (not daylight) per day in December, Edmonton on the other hand, is one of the sunniest cities in Canada... Maybe it's not complete darkness as most are taking it, maybe it's cloudy and gloomy too.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...europe/ufa.php

But you guys are probably right, Hockey Canada is just a bunch of ignorant *******s...
Well that same site says Toronto gets 2, same with Edmonton.
I'm sorry to break it to you but that's what he said...
Quote:
“They’re telling us to be prepared for 24 hours of dusk or darkness,” Spott was saying Tuesday in Kitchener, where he’s head coach of the OHL Rangers. “This is going to be one of the challenges. . . . Obviously your body is motivated by light. . . . We’ve got some plans to address that, to make sure the boys are getting the light that’s required.”
Not that this whole thing matters **** all but since there's no hockey going on, it's not like there's other things to discuss

Old
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
I'm not following you now .This is where you got the whole "only 1 hour of sunlight in December" idea, no?

Well that same site says Toronto gets 2, same with Edmonton.
I'm sorry to break it to you but that's what he said...

Not that this whole thing matters **** all but since there's no hockey going on, it's not like there's other things to discuss
No. I did my own search for sunshine hours.

2038 is the average hours of sunshine per year for Toronto, = 44% hours are sunshine. December our low gets 27%

I'd love to know who this "they" is.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
just22
meat and taters

Why does everyone even give a ****? Let them do whatever they want if they think it may help them win. Is everyone an expert on HF?

Old
12-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Because the tournament is usually held in such exciting,fascinating, desirable fun places such as Edmonton, Buffalo, Saskatoon, Grand Forks, Leksand etc. etc.

I'm sure they spend almost all of their time either at the rink, the hotel or commuting between these two places anyway.
I'd put Edmonton aside, it's not a bad town, don't know anything about Leksand, but yep on the other three.

Malmo will be party central just because of Copenhagen.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
octopi

vCash: 703

Joining the Rush is all over this.

also unrelated, but involves goalie bowling

Old
12-14-2012, 04:55 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Why does everyone even give a ****? Let them do whatever they want if they think it may help them win. Is everyone an expert on HF?
Don't know about you but I expect well paid professionals to know better than to believe there will be polar nights in a place that's a thousand miles south of the arctic circle. It kind of does make you question their intelligence, no?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Alpine

Had to google it
Dec 14 hours of daylight UFA 7 HOURS 15 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=356
Dec 14 hours of daylight in my hometown Moncton 8 HOURS 39 MINUTES AND 34 SECONDS.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...my.html?n=1129
Toronto 8 HOURS 57 MINUTES 27 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=250
Edmonton is about the same as UFA
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...nomy.html?n=80
We're talking about an hour and SOME minutes.........wow. I hope nobody suffers.
Hope we never play this event in Whitehorse.
Which just for the record is 5 HOURS 42 MINUTES today
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=679

Last edited by Alpine: 12-14-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Don't know about you but I expect well paid professionals to know better than to believe there will be polar nights in a place that's a thousand miles south of the arctic circle. It kind of does make you question their intelligence, no?
To be fair, they are hockey professionals, not geography professors.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Had to google it
Dec 14 hours of daylight UFA 7 HOURS 15 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=356
Dec 14 hours of daylight in my hometown Moncton 8 HOURS 39 MINUTES AND 34 SECONDS.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...my.html?n=1129
Toronto 8 HOURS 57 MINUTES 27 SECONDS
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=250
Edmonton is about the same as UFA
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...nomy.html?n=80
We're talking about an hour and SOME minutes.........wow. I hope nobody suffers.
Hope we never play this event in Whitehorse.
Which just for the record is 5 HOURS 42 MINUTES today
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=679
Again, I am thinking its the whole cloud cover thing, not hours of sunlight. I've never been to Ufa, but if there is as much cloud cover as they say, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down. or atleast thats what HC might be thinking.

I commend them for wanting to give the kids the best, even if I don't agree with the method.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:31 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
To be fair, they are hockey professionals, not geography professors.
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map? Reminds me when embedded journalists were showing up with leafs painted on their shoes during Desert Storm.

But I think it's great how you are willing to go to the ends of the earth to defend them. You, sir, are a true fan and a patriot, I wish I had your devotion.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Again, I am thinking its the whole cloud cover thing, not hours of sunlight. I've never been to Ufa, but if there is as much cloud cover as they say, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down. or atleast thats what HC might be thinking.

I commend them for wanting to give the kids the best, even if I don't agree with the method.
Next will be ice size...to go to left field.
At this age group they will have played on NHL size, Olympic size and under sized through-out their time in hockey.
The media will jump on it because they mostly cover NHL in Canada with little knowledge of community rinks where these kids learnt to play.
I'm sure Nathan MacKinnon is used to fog and cloud. Huberdeau after 4 years in Saint John where businesses advertiise "outside the fog belt" must be scared of the sun
Talking points and built in excuses is all.

Last edited by Alpine: 12-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map? Reminds me when embedded journalists were showing up with leafs painted on their shoes during Desert Storm.

But I think it's great how you are willing to go to the ends of the earth to defend them. You, sir, are a true fan and a patriot, I wish I had your devotion.
Do you really think it was high on his priority list to pull out a map and double check the info that some sort of "expert" game him? Clearly someone was wrong, but to fault someone for info they were given by someone who is suppose to know their stuff?

And remember this came from the Waterloo recorder, not BBC radio. We don't know if those were his exact words taken in context, or a small time writer for a small time paper trying to get hits.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
jekoh

Quote:
You need to be a geography professional to be able to look on a freaking map?
He probably saw it on CNN :

http://c.cslacker.com/2341l.jpg

http://www.ikypros.com/assets/image/...iginal/CNN.jpg

http://media.rtl.fr/online/image/201...-espagnole.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MNNgPxzs8m...%2BNorwich.jpg

Old
12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I just find it hard ot believe that someone at Hockey Canada would have purposely said that Ufa gets 24 hours darkness. Althought I could be wrong, but if they on;y get 1 hour of sunshine a day, I could understand the misquote/misinfo based on hhe was told

You mean average of 5.58 hours per day over the year? NYC gets and average 6.57 hours per day. Our low is 3.73 average hours in Dec.
If Toronto gets 3.73 hours of sunlight in December, as you say, keeping in mind that Toronto is at a significantly lower latitude than Ufa, does a difference of 2 hours and 45 minutes in the course of a day really merit a lot of elaborate measures to compensate? They are not going to be there for 4 or 5 years - just 2 weeks! Someone mentioned just giving them Vitamin D tablets, and that would seem to suffice without a "spend it you've got it" attitude.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:

I don't know about cloud cover in Ufa, but it is rare for places in mid-continent, not adjacent to any major body of water (I exclude rivers here) such as Ufa to have a lot of cloud cover at any time of year. I don't know about the frequency of rain or snow in Ufa, but I do not know that precipitation is generally sparse throughout continental Russia. It would seem to be a real anomaly if Ufa had the same kind of cloud cover you find in Vancouver or Seattle.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
If Toronto gets 3.73 hours of sunlight in December, as you say, keeping in mind that Toronto is at a significantly lower latitude than Ufa, does a difference of 2 hours and 45 minutes in the course of a day really merit a lot of elaborate measures to compensate? They are not going to be there for 4 or 5 years - just 2 weeks! Someone mentioned just giving them Vitamin D tablets, and that would seem to suffice without a "spend it you've got it" attitude.
Elaborate? Turning on a light is elaborate?

Again, not saying I agree with what they are doing, but to jump down their throat for wanting the best for their players is pretty sad.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I don't know about cloud cover in Ufa, but it is rare for places in mid-continent, not adjacent to any major body of water (I exclude rivers here) such as Ufa to have a lot of cloud cover at any time of year. I don't know about the frequency of rain or snow in Ufa, but I do not know that precipitation is generally sparse throughout continental Russia. It would seem to be a real anomaly if Ufa had the same kind of cloud cover you find in Vancouver or Seattle.
I'm not a climatologist, just a guy regurgitating info I read on here. I can only work with what I am given. Kind of like Spott

Old
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Jamin

Quote:

What a joke, someone needs to get reamed to this. It's making Hockey Canada look pretty stupid.
Im just amazed at the outrage of this. People sh*it on Edmonton all the time with facts that arent true and no one cares. Someone slags a russian city and there is 7 pages of outrage calling for hockey canada staff to be fired

Old
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Jamin

Quote:
+5 in Toronto and sunny. I don't know how you guys (not just Russians (I'm looking at you Winnipeg and Edmonton), take temps like that on a regular basis. Thats not even enjoyable winter cold.

Edit: I like how big and open that intersection is! Toronto needs more of those.

Ah yes, we forgot, a chef from Canada is only allowed to make Donair, Beavertails and Poutine. On a special day they get grilled cheese, but only if they win.

Fact!
Because contrary to eastern media it isnt like this on a regular basis. You can count on 2 hands the times the temperature drops below -20.

Currently minus 5 and very sunny.Took my dog for a walk didnt need gloves or a hat. This just goes to my other post. People sterotype about Edmonton and Winnipeg so much and no on cares but god forbid Ulf is getting criticized...

Old
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Because contrary to eastern media it isnt like this on a regular basis. You can count on 2 hands the times the temperature drops below -20.

Currently minus 5 and very sunny.Took my dog for a walk didnt need gloves or a hat. This just goes to my other post. People sterotype about Edmonton and Winnipeg so much and no on cares but god forbid Ulf is getting criticized...
Hey, leave Ulf alone, he didn't do anything wrong!

...or did you mean Ufa?

Hint: Ulf is an Old Norse name (quite common in Sweden, at least), Ufa is the name of the Russian city :p

Old
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post

Minus tirdytoo!

Oh believe me, if some so called professional organization is bringing some ridiculous stuff with them to Edmonton or Winnipeg, I'll be all over that **** too! I don't discriminate when it comes to calling out ignorance and stupidity but there is so much of it and I'm just one man.

Last edited by BobDobolina: 12-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Zine

I knew I recognized Canada's coach from somewhere!

Old
12-14-2012, 04:16 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Old
12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Since we are learning about weather today, that sunshine stat site you are referring shows that Toronto gets 2 hours of sunlight a day. Crucial difference, especially for guys who are inside all the time!
100% more of anything is a crucial difference. In fact, it's double.

Now we are learning about weather and math. I'll throw in a travel tip, do not go to Manitoba or Saskatchewan in the winter, spring, summer or fall.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Alpine

Lewis Black on traveling Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeH0ppqMbk

Closed Thread