HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCabe Signs with Maple Leafs

Old
06-01-2006, 10:54 AM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitso
McCabe is average defensively. Kaberle is solid defensively.
McCabe is below average...Kaberle improved on the defensive end this season to the point where I can classify him as average.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Here's an interesting thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...16#post5648716

How much will Jovo get? Mitchell? McKee? Corvo?

...and LGK has a thread that has XM saying the Rangers are going $8 million for Chara.

What's next, Mike Weaver $1.75 million?
Jay Wells coaxed out of retirement for the League minimum?

Thats the thing about a salary cap. Doesn't make it so you can't blow all of it on one player.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
McCabe is below average...Kaberle improved on the defensive end this season to the point where I can classify him as average.
It is quite apparent that you do not watch the Leafs or you are just not a good judge of talent.

Either way, I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt as I'm sure you'll do the same for me.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
of course they are. thats TSN's "home team". If McCabe were in say New York or Philly they would have no problems talking about him not really being that good defensivly. Serious overpayment IMO
Also, that scouting report was written before the new season...when McCabe could still run interference and use his "can opener"

Old
06-01-2006, 11:33 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
It is quite apparent that you do not watch the Leafs or you are just not a good judge of talent.

Either way, I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt as I'm sure you'll do the same for me.
Whatever you say, chief...but there aren't very many people who would classify McCabe as an average defensive player.

Old
06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Whatever you say, chief...but there aren't very many people who would classify McCabe as an average defensive player.
But you would have to consider the popular HF opinion which is heavily biased against the Leafs and those who play for them. When reading a discussion on HF regarding McCabe, you'd think they were talking about Jillson, rather than a first pairing and a career plus +/- defenseman.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 12:00 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
But you would have to consider the popular HF opinion which is heavily biased against the Leafs and those who play for them. When reading a discussion on HF regarding McCabe, you'd think they were talking about Jillson, rather than a first pairing and a career plus +/- defenseman.
Look, I think McCabe was probably worth his old salary of 3.85 mill. He's a good Offensive d-man and he's reasonably physical. But, despite the "Leaf-hating" that can be seen at HF, he has serious defensive shortcomings. If you pay a player that much for his shot from the point, you better hope that he continues to consistently get those pucks past the goalie to at least somewhat justify his salary. Otherwise you've got another Penguins-era Gonchar on your hands.

Old
06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
guzmania

Now I don't see the Leafs that much but any guy who averages ~30 minutes time on ice, for a team that misses the playoffs, and has a plus/minus of -1 is hardly a huge defensive liability. The Leafs played a pretty tough schedule seeing Ottawa 8 times. If you played the Sens 8 times and came out with a -1 for the series you might be thankful. I believe he was the QB on the Leafs PP, which I believe was #1 PP in the league. As late as the middle of May Leafs fans thought he might sign for $4 - 4.5 million. Market's screwy, but I don't think it was a super huge over payment, terms excluded.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
devilinto

Well Alot of the People here In toronto think this was a good move. I tend to agree. They have waited for this guy to become a good defencemen. And he has done just that!

As for the Kings paying Norstrom and Miller. Lets just hope Lombardi plans on making some moves!

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 06:05 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO
Well Alot of the People here In toronto think this was a good move. I tend to agree. They have waited for this guy to become a good defencemen. And he has done just that!

As for the Kings paying Norstrom and Miller. Lets just hope Lombardi plans on making some moves!
I'd rather overpay Norstrom than McCabe.

Old
06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Norstrom is worse offensively than McCabe is defensively. The job of a defensemen is to play defense, obviously, but if you have a forward who just plays offense or is a checking line player he doesn't get 4.25 million. Norstrom's contract is 1 of the worst in the NHL, he's old, he's slow and he's lead the Kings to no playoff appearances in how many years now?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Osprey

Here's something interesting to throw out there: McCabe had only 19 even-strength points, while Norstrom had 15, despite being defensively-oriented.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen
Norstrom is worse offensively than McCabe is defensively. The job of a defensemen is to play defense, obviously, but if you have a forward who just plays offense or is a checking line player he doesn't get 4.25 million. Norstrom's contract is 1 of the worst in the NHL, he's old, he's slow and he's lead the Kings to no playoff appearances in how many years now?
I'd rather overpay a defenseman to play defense than to play offense...I'm not saying it was the best deal, but give me a choice between McCabe and Norstrom and I'll take Norstrom.

Also, with regards to Osprey's comments, McCabe's chemistry with Kaberle is also something to consider with regards to the PP numbers.

Old
06-01-2006, 08:29 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Here's something interesting to throw out there: McCabe had only 19 even-strength points, while Norstrom had 15, despite being defensively-oriented.
Can you get me TOI for even strength, PP and PK, please?

Old
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
I'd rather overpay a defenseman to play defense than to play offense...I'm not saying it was the best deal, but give me a choice between McCabe and Norstrom and I'll take Norstrom.
I'd rather overpay a younger dman who plays an offensive game than overpay an older defensive dman. We agree to disagree, cricle gets the square.