HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Sorry to interrupt guys.... just wanted to let ya know I'm looking forward to watching the big game Saturday.
We made it up to the Big House earlier this year and had a blast.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:09 AM
ricky0034

vCash: 500
Greinke to the Dodgers 6 years $147m

Verlander is gonna get so much money

Old
12-09-2012, 08:35 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I wouldn't he surprised if he becomes the first player to get @30 mill a year.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:17 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Tigers got last chance to match Anibal Sanchez's offer. I guess the other teams didn't know about it the Cubs basically started leaking they signed him and are stunned he allowed the Tigers this option. We will see if their new offer is good enough but interesting development.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Sanchez isnt worth 75 million. Let him walk.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Sanchez isnt worth 75 million.

You're right...he's worth $80 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

As I say quite often...that's too much money but I ain't paying him.

Keeping this entire group is going to next to impossible but I think Mr. I wants this title bad...overpaid for Hunter and overpaid to keep Sanchez. You need that strong rotation to compete with Kansas City's improved pitching and Chicago will still be around in the division race. Plus, you gave up Turner to get Sanchez and Infante...you're almost justified in keeping him for that reason.

Now, figure out the closer situation (trade for Hannrahan as rumored?), trade Boesch for something useful and perhaps make a change at short if the price is right for Drew.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:06 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Chicago overachieved like crazy. I dont expect them to contend with the Tigers. As for KC, how many years have we heard about the youth of the Royals getting ready to make the jump? I will believe it when i see it.

Detroit should easily win the division with or without Sanchez, and he got massively overpaid. But hey, it's not my money, and i can only hope it works out and i am proven wrong.

I expect 90 wins MINIMUM this season.

Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 12-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

The Tigers arguably have the best pitching rotation and batting order in the league respectively. The X-Factor is definitely Rondon and the bullpen

Old
12-14-2012, 12:21 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
The Tigers arguably have the best pitching rotation and batting order in the league respectively. The X-Factor is definitely Rondon and the bullpen
The X factor is whether they choke in the playoffs. They got embarrassed in the World Series. It looked like Yankees were playing.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
We overpaid, and I don't think this means Porcello is being moved. I think it means Smiley will start the year in Toledo and Porcello will be our #5. I'm betting we see Scherzer moved next winter, if we can get Verlander to re-up. If Verlander refuses to ink a new deal, and we can get Scherzer signed, I'd consider moving Verlander for whatever we could get.

Unless the Tigers are looking to permanently move their payroll into the $160-170m range in the next few years, we're going to have to move someone big.

12-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
You're right...he's worth $80 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

As I say quite often...that's too much money but I ain't paying him.

Keeping this entire group is going to next to impossible but I think Mr. I wants this title bad...overpaid for Hunter and overpaid to keep Sanchez. You need that strong rotation to compete with Kansas City's improved pitching and Chicago will still be around in the division race. Plus, you gave up Turner to get Sanchez and Infante...you're almost justified in keeping him for that reason.

Now, figure out the closer situation (trade for Hannrahan as rumored?), trade Boesch for something useful and perhaps make a change at short if the price is right for Drew.
Sox are not gonna be contending

AJ likely gone
Myers gone
Floyd likely traded
Dunn still on team

Old
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ilitch should tell Dombrowski to go and get R.A. Dickey.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
We overpaid, and I don't think this means Porcello is being moved. I think it means Smiley will start the year in Toledo and Porcello will be our #5. I'm betting we see Scherzer moved next winter, if we can get Verlander to re-up. If Verlander refuses to ink a new deal, and we can get Scherzer signed, I'd consider moving Verlander for whatever we could get.

Unless the Tigers are looking to permanently move their payroll into the $160-170m range in the next few years, we're going to have to move someone big.
Tigers will have a new TV deal in '14..remains to be seen how that or ownership will effect it.

I think Porcello will stay for now but eventually be traded. Either this season or next.

Scherzer or Fister might be moved but that's way down the line and they'll approach that bridge when they get there. This team is built to win now, Illitch wants to win and I don't blame him for going for it.

Sure..Sanchez is a tad overpaid, but 5/75 is actually a reasonable and fair number. Especially in FA where people will do the same thing next year and complain about X player receiving a contract that Y player received three years ago.

I can see the drawbacks but Cameron and Justice are fine with it. Even Keith Law is generally OK with it.

Also makes trading away Turner not potentially regretable in the long run

Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

They should move Porcello if they can get anything for him. He's going to make more money than he's worth this year, they will never, ever have a defensive unit that allows him to be serviceable here, and he's still young enough so that other teams might be fooled into thinking he has "upside".

Smyly is already better, he's cheaper, he's left handed, and Porcello is no better than any of a dozen guys they can get on a minor league deal for peanuts.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I would love to see Dombrowski package Porcello + Peralta and see if he can get an upgrade at SS.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM
sarcastro

Rumor has it the Padres are interested and the Tigers might be able to get Gregerson. That would be absolutely outstanding IMO. Gregerson is awesome and the bullpen could be brilliant if they got him - Coke, Wrong Turn, Dotel, Gregerson, Benoit, Rondon, Villareal. Even if some of those guys are acting flaky (Benoit), that's enough high-quality arms where they could pick up the slack if multiple guys are in a funk.

SS, I'm not as worried about. It'd be nice if they could get a better defender there who could also swing a non-embarrassing bat, but there aren't many of those guys around.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...lker-webb.html

Old
12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Tigers will have a new TV deal in '14..remains to be seen how that or ownership will effect it.

I think Porcello will stay for now but eventually be traded. Either this season or next.

Scherzer or Fister might be moved but that's way down the line and they'll approach that bridge when they get there. This team is built to win now, Illitch wants to win and I don't blame him for going for it.

Sure..Sanchez is a tad overpaid, but 5/75 is actually a reasonable and fair number. Especially in FA where people will do the same thing next year and complain about X player receiving a contract that Y player received three years ago.

I can see the drawbacks but Cameron and Justice are fine with it. Even Keith Law is generally OK with it.

Also makes trading away Turner not potentially regretable in the long run
The fact that teams overpay in free agency is more of a reason to work to stay out of it than to excuse a deal. Still, I get that it makes sense short term, and that Ilitch is gunning for it all. The problem comes in a few years where we'll have seven or eight guys eating up $150m, unless someone significant is dealt.

With Porcello, I think we hang onto him for another year unless someone gives up something significant - and definitely more than a bullpen arm. All we have behind him is Smiley, and then Crosby? If we deal Porcello, and we roll with Smiley as the #5 and Crosby as the first call-up, we're probably trading for another starter at some point.

Which comes back to deal Scherzer in a couple of years. We'll need cheap talent to fit around the big contracts, and a trade is only way to supplement the draft. Scherzer would clear a big contract off the books and should bring in a fair haul.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:40 PM
sarcastro

They can't keep all four of the current top starters indefinitely, so this probably means that if we assume they'll spend whatever is necessary to keep JV, then Scherzer probably has one or two more years before they have to deal him and I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Fister forever either.

They should be able to keep the big 4 together for a couple years though, and that's really their window anyway. With VMart coming back and with Valverde out of the picture, 2013 is probably going to be their best chance at a title. I really hope they get one or two helpful pieces for Porcello.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:56 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Let me preface this by saying, I have never been a fan of the Lions. Thankfully the person who introduced me to the NFL for the first time was a Packers fan, so their years of awfulness has never bothered me, but damn, they are awful.

Things that need to happen in order for the Lions to not be awful.

William Clay Ford Sr. needs to sell the team to an owner who isn't mentally challenged. Any competent owner would fire the majority of the coaching staff and Martin Mayhew should have been fired a very long time ago. The guy cannot draft unless he gets a top five pick.............and even that is debatable.

Fire Tom Lewand

Fire Martin Mayhew for obvious reasons

Fire Jim Schwartz - The guy is not a good coach and never has been.

Trade Stafford and Suh and rebuild again. You cant afford to keep Suh so you might as-well get something for him. Get as many picks as possible. Some schmuck will give you a 1st round pick for Stafford.

Even bad teams get a lucky break and end up drafting a decent team, but that is something the Lions have never been able to do.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:59 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying, I have never been a fan of the Lions. Thankfully the person who introduced me to the NFL for the first time was a Packers fan, so their years of awfulness has never bothered me, but damn, they are awful.

Things that need to happen in order for the Lions to not be awful.

William Clay Ford Sr. needs to sell the team to an owner who isn't mentally challenged. Any competent owner would fire the majority of the coaching staff and Martin Mayhew should have been fired a very long time ago. The guy cannot draft unless he gets a top five pick.............and even that is debatable.

Fire Tom Lewand

Fire Martin Mayhew for obvious reasons

Fire Jim Schwartz - The guy is not a good coach and never has been.

Trade Stafford and Suh and rebuild again. You cant afford to keep Suh so you might as-well get something for him. Get as many picks as possible. Some schmuck will give you a 1st round pick for Stafford.
I get he's struggling but you don't trade Stafford. The coaching and playcalling is TERRIBLE.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I have never been impressed with Stafford. His #'s are not indicative of a good QB since the Lions throw the ball almost every play and the team is almost always trailing which means opposing defenses are in prevent which guarantees you a ton of yards.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
I have never been impressed with Stafford. His #'s are not indicative of a good QB since the Lions throw the ball almost every play and the team is almost always trailing which means opposing defenses are in prevent which guarantees you a ton of yards.
Yeah I'm not saying he's been great, but the play calling by Linehan is amazingly bad. Its either a shotgun draw up the middle or a pass to Calvin. Watch other teams' run their offense and look at all the different personnel groups and formations they use. The Lions run their offense like its the 1980s.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
TatarTangle

If Stafford stopped throwing sidearm like a pansy he'd put up 5,000 yards again

Or he's been hurt all season and we just don't know about it.

*edit* On a semi-related note; has anyone played Madden 13 and what do you think about it?

Old
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
If Stafford stopped throwing sidearm like a pansy he'd put up 5,000 yards again

Or he's been hurt all season and we just don't know about it.
He threw sidearm last year and got 5,000 yards and 41 TD.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
TatarTangle

I was watching a different team then, his form was fine last year

Closed Thread