HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
  #951
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Why not wait 8 months and be certain he's more ready next September? We have far more to lose than to gain here. What's the reward...he puts up a 0.6 PPG in 40-50 games?
Playoffs? Galchenyuk accelerating his development in the sense that, with a half year plus playoffs under his belt, he will be that much better next season and the one after, etc.?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
By already stating to the world they pretty don't value the WJC experience THAT much, they are showing that they are willing to take a risk with his development. So yes, there is reason to be concerned that they are not thinking this with the team's long-term interests and Gally's development in mind.
That's ridiculous. There shouldn't be any doubt about that. They're obviously thinking about the long term interest of the team here. You seem to think that there is some golden rule with prospects, and that because he missed a season due to injury, he'll need to be lagged a year for the rest of his career. He's proved already that the injury is behind him, his timing is back, his legs are back, his conditioning is great. What else is there to fret about here? If he's good enough to play, he should play. WJCs and that crappy Sarnia team have got nothing on the experience he will gain playing and practicing in the pros. You seem to ignore that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
They've also created media pressure by coming out and saying he'd be at camp. Talk radio here has had plenty of Galchenyuk talk since Bergevin said he'd skip the WJC to come to a camp if there is one. The ''average'' fan now expects Galchenyuk to be on the roster.
So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I know that Sarnia plays pond hockey basically. Since it looks like he won't be traded, Galchenyuk carrying that team and their flaws to the 2nd round would be a very solid accomplishment for his development.
It would be a nice accomplishment, never argued otherwise, but I'd rather him perform in the NHL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Fine then. I won't try to convince you otherwise on this point. If you can't see how having control of Galchenyuk's rights from age 19 to 26 > having control of his rights from age 18 to 25, I don't know what to add.
You deal with that 7 years from now. If he is who you thought he is, then he's not going anywhere, and him getting a payday is a beautiful problem to have. You think Carolina is mad that they "had" to sign Skinner to such a big contract? I'll bet they are more than happy to have a star player added to the roster.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good example of a kid who, through 3 years of his career, hasn't reached the stardom level people expected. Now why is that? Could it be because he needed more seasoning in the Q? Could it be because he was on a rotten team to start his NHL career?
Could it be that the people you speak of that expected him to reach stardom already, were a little too ambitious? Kulikov is an awesome player, injuries have slowed him the last couple years but he's really good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
We all know that's unlikely to happen, Therrien has made it clear as day he's keeping the DD line together and they'll obviously be the #1 PP unit.
Obviously? I don't see that as obvious at all. That line is mediocre at best on the PP. Cole and Pacioretty should be split up on the PP for sure, as neither of them can handle the puck under pressure. They're both suited to be down low crashing the net.

If it were me, my PP would look something like this:
Pacioretty/Cole-Plekanec/DD-Galchenyuk
Markov-Subban

HankyZetts is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 03:58 PM
  #952
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Gally.

Even more so because of annoying hab fans who want to trade the world for Huberdeau. He's tremendously talented, but over blown by Hab fans who want him and not even Florida fans who should be pimping the guy.
Agreed, I think Galchenyuk has a higher upside than Huberdeau.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
  #953
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,976
vCash: 597
Hanky, let's just end this now, I think we've both made it clear where we stand and nothing is going to change our minds at this point, lol.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
  #954
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Hanky, let's just end this now, I think we've both made it clear where we stand and nothing is going to change our minds at this point, lol.


Agreed Marc, always a good debate with you! And I know that we both want nothing more than Galchenyuk to succeed, wherever he plays!

Cheers!

HankyZetts is online now  
Old
12-13-2012, 08:06 PM
  #955
SeriousFan09
Registered User
 
SeriousFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
With Sarnia playing on the 15th and Team USA camp starting on the 16th, do we know if Galchenyuk is playing on the 15th and he will be heading to camp after the game is over, or will he skip the game to arrive a day early for the camp?

SeriousFan09 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  #956
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,976
vCash: 597
This quote by Beaulieu seems to indicate he's playing tomorrow and Saturday:

http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/12/13...ter-slow-start

Quote:
For Beaulieu, this means making sure the Christmas vacation doesn’t start early, as the Sting hope to pick up points on what is their longest home stretch of the season, as well as before losing stars Alex Galchenyuk and Connor Murphy to the American world junior team.

“We stressed this week to make sure the kids are not on holidays now. We’ve got two games to play and we want the four points,” Beaulieu said.

“We’ve got to get our points while we can before we lose Murphy and Gally. Those are two big guys that we’re going to miss a lot until January 5.”

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:16 AM
  #957
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
You deal with that 7 years from now. If he is who you thought he is, then he's not going anywhere, and him getting a payday is a beautiful problem to have. You think Carolina is mad that they "had" to sign Skinner to such a big contract? I'll bet they are more than happy to have a star player added to the roster.
IMO that's one of the benefits of being a big market team, you can let those budding stars stay in junior at 18 without worrying about potential marketing opportunities. Carolina needs young stars like Skinner to sell the team... Philly didn't need Giroux to do the same. Now you can say that Skinner wouldn't have developed as well in junior, or that Giroux wouldn't have developed as well in the NHL - personally I think the latter is more likely than the former, but that's hard to prove either way. What we do know is that Philly got more value out of Giroux as far as age and contract factors.

Roulin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:23 AM
  #958
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO that's one of the benefits of being a big market team, you can let those budding stars stay in junior at 18 without worrying about potential marketing opportunities. Carolina needs young stars like Skinner to sell the team... Philly didn't need Giroux to do the same. Now you can say that Skinner wouldn't have developed as well in junior, or that Giroux wouldn't have developed as well in the NHL - personally I think the latter is more likely than the former, but that's hard to prove either way. What we do know is that Philly got more value out of Giroux as far as age and contract factors.
Every player is different, and must be treated differently. I think in both cases, the players were handled perfectly.

Your point about Philadelphia getting better "age" value is debatable. Who's to say that Skinner adjusting to the NHL at 18 isn't a huge advantage in his development? Every prospect, whether they are 18 or 22, have to adjust when they come up to the NHL. I feel that the younger a player adjusts to the NHL(assuming they can at that age), the better he will be in the long run. Your natural progression as a player will be relative to the top competition in the world as opposed to the top in your age group. Some guys just aren't ready at 18, different curve for everyone.

HankyZetts is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 06:07 AM
  #959
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
What we do know is that Philly got more value out of Giroux as far as age and contract factors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Every player is different, and must be treated differently. I think in both cases, the players were handled perfectly.

Your point about Philadelphia getting better "age" value is debatable.
Contracts are about to change, our assumptions of the past CBA are likely to be very bad for the next one. If the 4 years ELC, 5 years-max contract and 28 years UFA happen, I would say bring them as young as possible. 5 years contracts will make the league even younger.

SOLR is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
  #960
Maitz
Chucky#27
 
Maitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Guys, we have to trust our coaching and managing staff about keeping Gally up this year. Wasn't Bergevin in charge of player development in Chicago? Also Therrien saw a lot of young good guys in Pittsburg. They know how to manage pure and young talent.

Maitz is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
  #961
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,194
vCash: 500
Don't see what big issue is...we should be happy that our management feels he could make a big difference on the team and if he can, then he should be in the NHL (assuming this cluster**** gets resolved) as opposed to CHL/WJC's.

It pretty much validates what we've all come to know about Galchenyuk...he's going to be a very, very good player

417 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:19 AM
  #962
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,976
vCash: 597
The Sting just traded Hottot to the Steelheads for a 3rd and a 6th.

It means they now have an overage spot open and have more ammo to add a piece.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
  #963
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,556
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The Sting just traded Hottot to the Steelheads for a 3rd and a 6th.

It means they now have an overage spot open and have more ammo to add a piece.
Not surprising, since he left the team a while ago.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #964
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Contracts are about to change, our assumptions of the past CBA are likely to be very bad for the next one. If the 4 years ELC, 5 years-max contract and 28 years UFA happen, I would say bring them as young as possible. 5 years contracts will make the league even younger.
Is the extended ELC still on the table? I was under the impression proposals now include either a 3 or even 2 year ELC... either way, Galchenyuk has already been signed to a 3 year ELC under the previous CBA's rules.

Roulin is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:21 PM
  #965
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
There is definitely a lot to be gained by playing the WJC. This is stiff competition against your own age-group, there is high pressure situations, you need to get things under your belt before the NHL. Playing a high-stakes elimination game for the States as the go-to guy is better experience than playing 3rd line wing in the regular season with pieces of **** like Bourque.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:32 PM
  #966
Dada
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
anybody knows who are his linemates on team USA ? for the selection camp

Dada is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  #967
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Camp doesn't open until the 16th.

DogsFan* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  #968
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,421
vCash: 500
I should understand that the junior season has stopped until the end of the WJC?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  #969
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I should understand that the junior season has stopped until the end of the WJC?
No, the season continues. Most players miss about 4 or 5 games.

DogsFan* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  #970
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I should understand that the junior season has stopped until the end of the WJC?
Nope, he will miss a few games... but that won't really change much in the standings, Strome is going as well.

His linemates are going to be Gaudreau and someone else like JT Miller I predict but you never know.

poetryinmotion is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  #971
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Nope, he will miss a few games... but that won't really change much in the standings, Strome is going as well.

His linemates are going to be Gaudreau and someone else like JT Miller I predict but you never know.
I'd like to see him with Stefan Noesen, personally.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM
  #972
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,421
vCash: 500
So... why hasn't there been a game for quite a while?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:30 PM
  #973
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
So... why hasn't there been a game for quite a while?
CHL teams traditionally load their games up on weekends. These are still kids in school, don't forget. Gally's last game was Sunday and his next game is tonight. Pretty normal for a CHL sched.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
  #974
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
There is definitely a lot to be gained by playing the WJC. This is stiff competition against your own age-group, there is high pressure situations, you need to get things under your belt before the NHL. Playing a high-stakes elimination game for the States as the go-to guy is better experience than playing 3rd line wing in the regular season with pieces of **** like Bourque.
I don't think that's a general rule for EVERY single player...can't make blanket statements like that, all players are different and they should be handled as so.

417 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
  #975
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
CHL teams traditionally load their games up on weekends. These are still kids in school, don't forget. Gally's last game was Sunday and his next game is tonight. Pretty normal for a CHL sched.


Tonight!? Suddenly am happy!!

I wanna see some dirty videos of Galchenyuk on this forum!


... wait, that came out wrong

PricePkPatch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.