HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Mantha....oh how sweet it would be. That kid is putting up scoring ability like Skinner in his draft year but is 6'2.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Mantha....oh how sweet it would be. That kid is putting up scoring ability like Skinner in his draft year but is 6'2.
Finally got to watch him last night and... man... a little disappointed, actually. He's clearly very skilled, but he couldn't give a **** about playing hockey properly most of the game. Kind of scary actually... after seeing his work ethic and overall play, he could end up being a total bust in the Daigle territory or a total boom in the early-days Heatley territory. Scary pick! Seems like I'm not alone after reading the prospects thread.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:15 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Finally got to watch him last night and... man... a little disappointed, actually. He's clearly very skilled, but he couldn't give a **** about playing hockey properly most of the game. Kind of scary actually... after seeing his work ethic and overall play, he could end up being a total bust in the Daigle territory or a total boom in the early-days Heatley territory. Scary pick! Seems like I'm not alone after reading the prospects thread.
And another reason to point out why stats don't always tell you everything. On pace for 50 goals and plays like he could give a rats ass....well put me in the Erne/Carrier group then.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

Big Stick....
Anyone else see the resemblance

Old
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
And another reason to point out why stats don't always tell you everything. On pace for 50 goals and plays like he could give a rats ass....well put me in the Erne/Carrier group then.
Yeah, it's weird. He might be a star one day, but who knows if he'll ever be a player you win with. I would be scared drafting him in the Top 15 (which is where he's ranked right now on most lists), after that you probably take a gamble and hope for the best (unless there's someone better and more consistent still around).

I would have a hard time deciding between him and Carrier. I know Carrier is not quite as skilled, but he's still pretty talented (and his points are not far behind Mantha) and at least he can project as a Bottom 6 player unlike Mantha.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
What are the chances we could grab Jordan Subban in the 2nd round? Really like to see him in Canuck colours.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
What are the chances we could grab Jordan Subban in the 2nd round? Really like to see him in Canuck colours.
I think Subban is a guy whose ranking will heavily depend on the fitness testing at the combine. His talent level is up there for the 1st round, just the size issue...

Old
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I think Subban is a guy whose ranking will heavily depend on the fitness testing at the combine. His talent level is up there for the 1st round, just the size issue...
He's so much smalled than his brothers, I have wonder if he's got a growth spurt in him. If not, what about moving to forward and still playing pp qb? I haven't seen him enough to pass judgment.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He's so much smalled than his brothers, I have wonder if he's got a growth spurt in him. If not, what about moving to forward and still playing pp qb? I haven't seen him enough to pass judgment.
Yeah, I haven't either unfortunately. Probably best to ask on the main boards. What I have seen, he seems very highly skilled — even more than his brother, I think.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I would rather take JC Lipon in the second round, if he's still there and there are no obvious fallers.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:04 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

THN should take advantage of this lockout and put out a a mid season prospect ranking mag. I sure as hell would buy it.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Gillis and Co. have got to have their best draft in years or we're officially in trouble. And for God's sake, don't trade the first when it's supposed to be the deepest draft since 2003.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:21 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
This is him this past summer with Laylor Systems (PK trains there too)

The guy looks built for his age. Makes me wonder if he has much growing left, height-wise. As we saw with Schroeder who filled out early and didn't grow at all after the draft.

From my brief viewings (Handful of full games and the highlights from last season when i was doing the Gaunce video), i'd say he is less aggressive physically than PK certainly. He is a slick puck rusher with a good quick shot and some very skilled hands. Skates like the wind. Good PP QB. However, last season, there are some serious concerns defensively. Positioning, gap control, and coverage in front of the net are areas he needs to work on. Also, i'd say based on last seasons' highlights, he owes Malcolm a few kegs of beer for the times he bailed him out or caused a goal against. From the couple games this season, i'd say he is improving but still a work in progress.

Chances of him in the 2nd round are high. I think his pedigree and name will bring him there. But whether or not its the right choice for us in the 2nd round is another matter. I'm not so sure where i'd take him as its still early in the season. But the strengths/weaknesses for Jordan are pretty much the same as they were for PK in his draft year (minus of course the concern about size), so maybe we should take on a motto of "Never bet against a Subban".

Old
12-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Yeah, I'm not hesitant to take a shorter player I believe there are certain physical walls they can hit, but essentials like puck battles, skating, puck skills, taking a hit don't concern me (I'm 5'8'' so take it from me personally). Just don't expect him to clear a crease at that size.

Besides, aren't the youngest children supposed to get taller than their older brothers? If not, I have been cheated in the gene pool.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:52 AM
ahmon

Its unfortunate for Jordan Subban if hes 6' ft we are talking top 5 pick territory.

From what I have seen he is even more skilled than PK.

Its not out of the question he gains an inch or 2. Hes still 17.

a 2nd is not a bad investment.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I can't figure out why a lot of Canuck fans want this guy, I get he's 6'2" and scores goals, but the concerns with him are commitment, consistency of effort etc...

He'll have a game where he scores 4 goals and then the next night he'll be invisible.

I like Jason Dickinson right now, if we're going with a forward.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:23 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Nathan Mackinnon is a rich version of Kesler. Some nasty similar traits to Kesler, but also all of the great traits too. The difference? He has great vision.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Nathan Mackinnon is a rich version of Kesler. Some nasty similar traits to Kesler, but also all of the great traits too. The difference? He has great vision.
or he has players on his line worth passing too....

Old
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I can't figure out why a lot of Canuck fans want this guy, I get he's 6'2" and scores goals, but the concerns with him are commitment, consistency of effort etc...

He'll have a game where he scores 4 goals and then the next night he'll be invisible.

I like Jason Dickinson right now, if we're going with a forward.
Personally I'd prefer we draft a higher risk potential game breaker than a safe bet to become a decent second-liner.(I don't know too much about Dickinson, admittedly)

Old
12-14-2012, 01:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Personally I'd prefer we draft a higher risk potential game breaker than a safe bet to become a decent second-liner.(I don't know too much about Dickinson, admittedly)
Download a recent TSN draft center podcast and listen to Button and Dickinson's coach (former Canuck Scott Walker) beem about him.

I've only watched one full game of his on TV (against Oshawa) and lots of highlights and he's dynamic in all facets (skating, passing, stick handling, puck protection...even at 6'2" 175lbs)

I like the fact he hasn't grown into his body too...

I think you have to hit on your first round pick, and Mantha is far too risky for me.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Chances are there as of right now, hopefully he doesn't have a growth spurt and start to tear up the OHL towards the end of the season so we can pick him up. I see Jordan being a lot like P.K. , somewhat average junior numbers and gets drafted late in the 2nd round, then has a huge year in the OHL the next year, plays in the WJC and skyrockets. Let's hope Jordan follows his older brother's footsteps so we can snatch him in the 2nd round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would rather take JC Lipon in the second round, if he's still there and there are no obvious fallers.
With JC Lipon making Team Canada, he's gunna be a late 1st rounder or an early 2nd rounder, I don't see us getting him in the 2nd round.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Wouldn't go as far as directly comparing Mackinnon to Kesler, yes they both play with a lot of heart, but Ryan broke into the league as a defensive player, it wasn't until around 2008-2009 that he really found his scoring touch. Nathan has that scoring touch already, and even though you could consider Mackinnon as a TWF, I think he's destined to be a playmaker who can also score goals and play the body. Nathan Mackinnon is the real deal.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Download a recent TSN draft center podcast and listen to Button and Dickinson's coach (former Canuck Scott Walker) beem about him.

I've only watched one full game of his on TV (against Oshawa) and lots of highlights and he's dynamic in all facets (skating, passing, stick handling, puck protection...even at 6'2" 175lbs)

I like the fact he hasn't grown into his body too...

I think you have to hit on your first round pick, and Mantha is far too risky for me.
If we're looking for a big body putting up big points then Carrier is a much safer (and better) option due to his commitment level and work ethic.

I'm scared of Mantha. He can score 4 goals and still look (and play) like he doesn't care the other 56 minutes in that game. Maybe he's a game-breaker but in such a deep draft do you really want Canucks to be the team that drafts a bust? With our prospect pool? Ugh.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
If we're looking for a big body putting up big points then Carrier is a much safer (and better) option due to his commitment level and work ethic.

I'm scared of Mantha. He can score 4 goals and still look (and play) like he doesn't care the other 56 minutes in that game. Maybe he's a game-breaker but in such a deep draft do you really want Canucks to be the team that drafts a bust? With our prospect pool? Ugh.
Carrier seems to have some concerns too.

Tries to do it all himself (hard to blame him), but it's nice to see kids who can play within a team concept and still exude skill and commitment.

Not to mention, I trust our OHL scouts more than the Q.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Carrier seems to have some concerns too.

Tries to do it all himself (hard to blame him), but it's nice to see kids who can play within a team concept and still exude skill and commitment.

Not to mention, I trust our OHL scouts more than the Q.
I haven't had a chance to watch Dickinson since the beginning of the season but his production over the past 15 games has been disappointing to say the least. I was personally hoping for an upwards trend over the season.

Closed Thread