HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Mackinnon-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie
Lipon-Jenner-Danault
Camara

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellett
Reinhart-Murphy
Corrado

Subban
Paterson

Binnington

This is just the lines that I would want, but I don't think that HC would ever put two 17 year olds on the second line. I could see Drouin as 13th forward and Mackinnon centering the 4th line, though.
Corrado was cut

Old
12-14-2012, 01:36 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
All you need to do is put your two best goal scorers on the line with RNH. Would mackinnon not be one of those two players?
I don't think so.

Huberdeau is definitely a better scorer at this level than MacKinnon. You have to remember that jr. level production doesn't necesarrily mean wj success.. Even jr. studs like Stamkos didn't have amazing tourneys.

But I would say you're better of having MacKinnon be the engine of whatever line he is on... whether its a sheltered fourth line, or energy line... rather than have him feel he needs to defer to RNH. Because of that I like Huberdeau and Scheifele for the first line.

I see MacKinnon as 4th line C, alongside someone like Danault who is defensively responsible... or 2nd line W where he can keep up with Strome.

Right now I like:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
MacKinnon-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Camara
Drouin-Danault-Rattie
Lipon

Old
12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliedad29 View Post
By that logic, Brossoit definitely should have been a lock too... he played amazing against Russia at SSS (shutout with several great stops) and was clearly no worse than 2nd best goalie in camp... probably the best if you take into account he made more saves than Paterson or Binnington had shots.

Spott clearly knew who he was taking before camp began!
Uh, did you watch game 2 vs. the WHL? "Amazing" is not how I would characterize that performance.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliedad29 View Post
By that logic, Brossoit definitely should have been a lock too... he played amazing against Russia at SSS (shutout with several great stops) and was clearly no worse than 2nd best goalie in camp... probably the best if you take into account he made more saves than Paterson or Binnington had shots.

Spott clearly knew who he was taking before camp began!
So?

This isn't some peewee tryout. Hockey Canada has followed these players for years... they know the ins and outs of each players game.

Spott went with the guys he felt were the best and thats that.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:52 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I don't think so.

Huberdeau is definitely a better scorer at this level than MacKinnon. You have to remember that jr. level production doesn't necesarrily mean wj success.. Even jr. studs like Stamkos didn't have amazing tourneys.

But I would say you're better of having MacKinnon be the engine of whatever line he is on... whether its a sheltered fourth line, or energy line... rather than have him feel he needs to defer to RNH. Because of that I like Huberdeau and Scheifele for the first line.

I see MacKinnon as 4th line C, alongside someone like Danault who is defensively responsible... or 2nd line W where he can keep up with Strome.

Right now I like:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
MacKinnon-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Camara
Drouin-Danault-Rattie
Lipon
Rattie on the 4th and Ritchie on the 2nd. I'm think you put Rattie on a scoring line. Its kinda what he does.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Mackinnon-RNH-Rattie
Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Schiefele-Lipon
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Drouin

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellett
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Paterson

Binnington

Old
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
umwoz

I have a feeling people will be quick to turn on RNH, Scheifele or Huberdeau if they aren't producing.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
I have a feeling people will be quick to turn on RNH, Scheifele or Huberdeau if they aren't producing.
I definitely will. I don't think it will happen, but I'll definitely will turn on them if it does because it shouldn't.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Mackinnon-RNH-Rattie
Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Schiefele-Lipon
Camara-Jenner-Danault
Drouin

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellett
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Paterson

Binnington
YYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Old
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Agree. Whipping boys on the blueline will be Murphy, Hamilton, Rielly.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Spot on prediction. Everyone thinks that just because RNH spent a year in the NHL he's going to come as some hockey god and score 30 points or something.

If each of the top line ends up only PPG or maybe a bit better I would not be surprised, nor would I be that mad as long as we claim gold

Old
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Rattie on the 4th and Ritchie on the 2nd. I'm think you put Rattie on a scoring line. Its kinda what he does.
Brett Ritchie is leading the OHL in goalsw ith 27 in 32games, playing on a line with Ryan Strome. I'd say its "kinda what he does" also.

Keep in mind given the players Spott chose we're really going to be rolling 3 scoring lines and an energy line. A combo of Rattie and Mackinnon with Danault holding down the defensive end could be dynamite.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Seeing as how he's Edmonton's first line centre I think they would recall him without thinking twice. Surprising move by Team Canada and this is coming from an Oilers fan. The second there's a resolution to the lockout RNH is on the first flight to Edmonton. Losing your captain in the middle of the tournament is a distinct possibility and a risk I'm surprised Hockey Canada is going to take.
So you're saying it will be worse to lose him now just because he wore a letter on his chest? Wearing the "C" doesn't make you act, or play any different...

Old
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
Steve Spott just said the he can guarantee you that Drouin and Mackinnon will not be on the same line at the start of it but if it works it self out later then it does but they wont start together.
This seems like a very strange/poor decision. These guys have terrific chemistry, they're dynamite together, why mess with a good thing?

Regardless, whatever lines they go with, this team should be sick. They're very, very stacked. Personally, I'd like to see something like this:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Hudon - Strome - Ritchie
Drouin - MacKinnon - Rattie
Danault - Jenner - Lipon
Camara

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellett
Reinhart - Murphy
Wotherspoon

Subban
Patterson
Binnington

Last edited by ponder: 12-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
This seems like a very strange/poor decision. These guys have terrific chemistry, they're dynamite together, why mess with a good thing?

Regardless, whatever lines they go with, this team should be sick. They're very, very stacked.
Just gotta keep in the mind the pressure and intensity that WJ games have. Those two might fly against Germany, but when you're playing Russia and don't have the last change, you can bet Yakupov and Grigorenko would be out against their line over and over again.

Best to keep them split up for now, let them get settled in their own end. If/When they show they can handle their own end, then maybe you throw them on together.

Old
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
IMO you have to put Rattie with RNH.

Rattie is a PURE goalscorer, last season in the WHL Beartchi fed him so many goals it was ludicrous. Put an even better play maker in RNH with him, and you will have a very very dangerous line.

Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

This looks like a really really strong team hahaha

Good ol' lockouts. Guaranteeing the gold.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
This looks like a really really strong team hahaha

Good ol' lockouts. Guaranteeing the gold.
I wouldn't be so confident. Many teams could suprise you this year.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
So you're saying it will be worse to lose him now just because he wore a letter on his chest? Wearing the "C" doesn't make you act, or play any different...
True but losing the player with the C can be devastating for the rest of the players and the team as a whole. He's obviously the best player on the team but I'm not convinced he's the best leader, especially given that if there's a resolution to the lockout he's gone. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers and HC have a little handshake deal in place somehow that was contingent on RNH getting the C. Remember the Sens aren't lending Zibanejad to Sweden from the AHL.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsRatchet View Post
I wouldn't be so confident. Many teams could suprise you this year.
On paper it's Canada then everyone else. With Gibson and Vasilevski and a single elimination tournament anything can happen though.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:49 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I definitely will. I don't think it will happen, but I'll definitely will turn on them if it does because it shouldn't.
I won't be...
Bad luck happens. Even the best players have scoreless streaks.
You can create chances and do all the right stuff and it doesn't work out. Especially with small sample sizes as a little tournament.
Now if it looks like the three can't keep their head above water, that's different.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
True but losing the player with the C can be devastating for the rest of the players and the team as a whole. He's obviously the best player on the team but I'm not convinced he's the best leader, especially given that if there's a resolution to the lockout he's gone. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers and HC have a little handshake deal in place somehow that was contingent on RNH getting the C. Remember the Sens aren't lending Zibanejad to Sweden from the AHL.
I think it doesn't matter. Losing RNH, possibly Huberdeau and Hamilton would be a disaster whether they're wearing a letter or not.

Because he's played in the NHL, was the first overall pick etc. he's going to be looked up to and counted on. Was the easy decision.

Doubt there is a "handshake deal" in place... Hockey Canada wouldn't let that happen. The reason Zibanejad isn't going is two fold... 1. He already won a gold medal last year, scoring the OT goal 2. He needs to adjust to the NA game

RNH was cut two years ago and has unfinished business... this is likely something he wanted.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:56 PM
puckfan13

MacKinnon should probably end up playing next to RNH and Huberdeau to be honest. Have a feeling he might end up there by the end of the tournament.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Agreed, but rightfully so. They are without question Canada's best forwards. They are the leaders (captain) of the team. The don't need to be leading the tournament in points, but they need to be producing on a regular basis.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM
odishabs

Huberdeau - Nugent Hopkins - Schiefele

MacKinnon - Strome - Ritchie

Hudon - Jenner - Rattie

Camara - Danault - Lipon

Hamilton - Rielly

Harrington - Ouellet

Rienhart - Murphy

Subban