HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 07:10 AM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The beating score wise should have been delivered tonite,I guess thats why games are played on the ice,rather then blogs,I just want 3 or 4 pts this weekend,wont be easy,Seiloff is off to the US team,though he will be joined by Trochek from Saginaw,Spirit also missing Patterson as he is the 3rd tender for team canada
The hounds will have Sproul back since he did not make team Canada,they wont be easy
May have spoken out of turn,read the sault star says Trocheck expected to play till Sunday,should be the same for
Seiloff,I know both are trying out for team usa and are to report Sunday

Old
12-14-2012, 07:21 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Let's be fair for a second to the Spits; they played with them to the end. There were two reasons tonight's game turned out the way it did:

1. Non-call on Thomson for the hit on Sieloff. If that hit gets called like it should (I saw it clearly, at least 2 for CFB, if not 4), emotions are kept in check. That threw a huge monkey-wrench into everything.

2. Gibson stood on his head. In the third period, he made a pure paddle save, and followed it up with a save on the other side of the net second later. That would have made it a 3-2 game, instead of allowing Czinder to make it 4-1.

Sure, the Spits need guys who can finish, but they weren't fully at fault. The giveaway hurt, no question, as did the officiating. Gibson, though, stole the show.

What irritates me is Thomson ends up going with Murphy a bit after the Sieloff hit, despite others being on the ice that could have handled themselves better, and we lose Clark in a fight (same stoppage, same time, just got the major) to someone. That's two fairly key guys out when we didn't need it.
IMO you are taking the 2 giveaways by Ho Sang to lightly.That was hard on the spits each time they were scored on.Take the 2 giveaways out of the game and it would have been different

Old
12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
goalpostmahoney

Hey did anyone see that the University of Alberta team beat Team Canada world Jr. team 4-1. U of A one of the top ranked teams in CIS hockey. So is U of W top ranked. I have to tell you it is great hockey and only $5 to get in $3 for seniors. Check it out its rough and tough and fast.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Ottomatic

Kerby will be a mid to late second rounder at best. The goals he scores now he won't score in the pro's and without the opportunistic goals what exactly does he bring to the table?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Murphy is all of 5"10 and Thompson is 6"4'... didn't know Thompson was such a tough guy.

Really? I suggest you watch the replay. Murphy picked Thomson out of the scrum and was man-handling him. Can't blame Thomson for that.

And to the poster who mentioned Thomson wanted no part of Bilcke? Why would he? Did you see Kitchener's lineup? Thomson is arguably their best forward. Fighting a depth goon makes zero sense. But I assure you Thomson could handle himself with Ty.

I agree with a lot of the Windsor posters here on some non-calls, etc. But let's not be silly.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:29 AM
RayzorIsDull

Rychel probably gets too much criticism but overall people are right. It probably boils down to if Rychel isn't scoring goals you rarely notice him, he hit the post last night but he was in that goal scoring area as well. Obviously Windsor doesn't have the talent now that they did a few years ago but you need to ask yourself if you can win big with guys like Rychel and Vail. Both of them have been productive players but have they been the best players night in and night out? These guys need to be examples out there for the younger guys and right now they aren't. Barring miracles like Allen, Butcher and Schmaltz showing up there isn't a light at the end of this tunnel. Boughner and Rychel got their 2 championships and are now on the gravy train.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:09 AM
go4john

Anybody know why Maletta was not on the bench in the third? The reason I ask is his parents and sister sit one row below me and in the second intermission his father came back to his seat and whispered in the mother's ear and she began to cry a little bit. The rest of the third they were all texting madly not paying attention to the play. I was wondering if he got pulled out due to an impending trade? If so is this common to pull a kid mid-game? Could be something could be nothing.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Really? I suggest you watch the replay. Murphy picked Thomson out of the scrum and was man-handling him. Can't blame Thomson for that.

And to the poster who mentioned Thomson wanted no part of Bilcke? Why would he? Did you see Kitchener's lineup? Thomson is arguably their best forward. Fighting a depth goon makes zero sense. But I assure you Thomson could handle himself with Ty.

I agree with a lot of the Windsor posters here on some non-calls, etc. But let's not be silly.
I agree, Murphy initiated this and started throwing first, Thomson just finished it.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Spitsfan67*

That Thompson is a P**** I mean yea he's willing to fight a 5'10 Murphy but Sieloff wanted to go with him all game and Bilcke did and nope didn't want to fight but that POS kept running his mouth the entire game, kid should grow some balls if he runs his mouth back it up and stop being a *****, I was hoping he had his head down so Sieloff could nail him...

Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4john View Post
Anybody know why Maletta was not on the bench in the third? The reason I ask is his parents and sister sit one row below me and in the second intermission his father came back to his seat and whispered in the mother's ear and she began to cry a little bit. The rest of the third they were all texting madly not paying attention to the play. I was wondering if he got pulled out due to an impending trade? If so is this common to pull a kid mid-game? Could be something could be nothing.
Didn't notice that he was AWOL in the 3rd BUT yes it is common if a trade has been agreed upon. Should the player be injured it would kill the trade. If a trade was made it has to be cleared/registered with the OHL and you should see some news after the noon hour.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
I agree, Murphy initiated this and started throwing first, Thomson just finished it.
Thanks for adding some sanity.

Seeing some of the anger at Thomson in this thread should make some of the posters realize just how effective he was last night. Yes, he should have got a penalty for the boarding one, but otherwise, he was terrific in his role all night.

The coaching staff has red-lighted him all season on fighting because they want him playing big minutes, but make no mistake. He can hang with any of the heavies if he chose.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Didn't notice that he was AWOL in the 3rd BUT yes it is common if a trade has been agreed upon. Should the player be injured it would kill the trade. If a trade was made it has to be cleared/registered with the OHL and you should see some news after the noon hour.
I don't recall seeing Maletta injured or hobbling to the bench at all last night. I don't think he's getting traded right at this moment either.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
I saw that he did not play after the midway part of the 2nd,found it curious seeing as he certainly was the only one not playing well against Kitchener,infact i thought he was okay playing wise,afterall the other 17 skaters played quite regularly the rest of the game
I did see his mother and sister after the game but not the dad,perhaps he has been moved,besides as I have mentioned before both Maletta and Bateman have been on the trade block for awhile now according to league wide buzz,better part of a month I believe

Old
12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I saw that he did not play after the midway part of the 2nd,found it curious seeing as he certainly was the only one not playing well against Kitchener,infact i thought he was okay playing wise,afterall the other 17 skaters played quite regularly the rest of the game
I did see his mother and sister after the game but not the dad,perhaps he has been moved,besides as I have mentioned before both Maletta and Bateman have been on the trade block for awhile now according to league wide buzz,better part of a month I believe
He might need a change of scenery. I know he was highly touted and maybe that has been part of the issue. Two picks after Maletta the Spirit took Moutrey who had a poor rookie season. He has really stepped it up though with 9g 12a, if Maletta was doing that I don't think people would want him out. Moutrey is going to be a handful very shortly. I will be honest with you I can see the Spits getting a bit for Maletta, I can't see anybody having interest in Bateman though.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Spitsfan67*

Who cares maybe they just benched him...he has been useless and he is a complete waste of a first round draft pick, sooner he is gone the better the spits and Meletta will be....along with Bateman, Mcnoughton and mine as well send Bowen if you don't want to play him send him somewhere he will get more time at least.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
He might need a change of scenery. I know he was highly touted and maybe that has been part of the issue. Two picks after Maletta the Spirit took Moutrey who had a poor rookie season. He has really stepped it up though with 9g 12a, if Maletta was doing that I don't think people would want him out. Moutrey is going to be a handful very shortly. I will be honest with you I can see the Spits getting a bit for Maletta, I can't see anybody having interest in Bateman though.
Rayzor

I agree with what u say about Maletta and Bateman,its going to be tough getting anything substantive for Bateman
I think Murphys arrival and recent success have made Bateman"s presence redundant

Old
12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Ottomatic

Thomson is a bully. He played the same way last time Kitchener played the Spits, acting like the big man when paired up with Posa during a corner scrum. But later in the game wanted no part of Bowen, who pummelled him anyways. It was worth the two games for Bowser IMO.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
OHLTG

Quote:

Yeah, Murphy picked him out, there's no real need to beat down Murphy like Thomson did at the end. If you know it's over, take him to the ice and be done with it.

While Thomson could handle himself with Ty, sometimes you have to answer the bell. It's the proper thing to do.

Regarding Maletta - I don't know what happened, but I know I saw his mom and sister in the community rink area after the game and they looked like nothing was wrong. That said, trades during games happen and I've heard from more than one source that Jordan was on the block. The word "showcasing" had been used recently.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Seeing some of the anger at Thomson in this thread should make some of the posters realize just how effective he was last night. Yes, he should have got a penalty for the boarding one, but otherwise, he was terrific in his role all night.
If it's the hit I'm thinkin' of....wasn't it Alberga that sent Sieloff off with the hit in corner?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
There is interest in Bateman but if Rychel acquired him for 6 picks, there is no way he's getting even close to what he traded for him. It's kind of a lose lose situation.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
clearwater

Quote:
If you gage Moutrey's rookie season poor because of points, then yes but if he was given the same opportuinties as most rookies were given last year he would have produced like this year. Most of the year he was on the fourth line with a defensive role. Now he has been given a bigger role and opprtunities and he is showing how he can play as a big skilled power forward role at 6'3 208 with soft hands and a great shot. He is now generating a lot of interest with the scouts. I heard through a source last year that Windsor saw his ppotential and tried to trade for him last year and the spirit knew what they had and would have nothing to do with it.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
There is interest in Bateman but if Rychel acquired him for 6 picks, there is no way he's getting even close to what he traded for him. It's kind of a lose lose situation.
It's a lose lose situation if you keep him. Just trade him and get it over with. Chances are if he ever lived up to trading 6 picks for him he would be an all star caliber guy but it's not going to happen. Cut your losses.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Windsor Chief

Overpaying for a player is a lose situation from the outset, although meteoric improvement and development could result in the initial trade balancing itself out.
Moving said player later should be judged on that later trade and not on what was paid initially.

That said Malletta has looked solid reminding me of Nemisz, but its a different supporting cast. The team really hurt itself when it failed to move Ellis and Kassian a few years ago.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Thomson is a bully. He played the same way last time Kitchener played the Spits, acting like the big man when paired up with Posa during a corner scrum. But later in the game wanted no part of Bowen, who pummelled him anyways. It was worth the two games for Bowser IMO.
He didn't fight Posa. And I recall him acting tough against Bowen all night. He just wasn't going to fight him. It's a horrible trade for Kitchener and it's Thomson doing his job to a T. I don't think anyone on that Ranger squad has any doubt he can handle himself with the gloves off.

I will agree with OHLTG though. No need to beat the poor kid down once it's over.

But I have ZERO problem with him not fighting Bilcke or Bowen. Sieloff is the only one that would hurt the opponent to lose the guy just as much. But you'll see in all Thomson's fights this year, he is red-lighted by the bench. Pretty much every one, the opponent didn't give him a choice.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
But I have ZERO problem with him not fighting Bilcke or Bowen. Sieloff is the only one that would hurt the opponent to lose the guy just as much. But you'll see in all Thomson's fights this year, he is red-lighted by the bench. Pretty much every one, the opponent didn't give him a choice.
Gotta disagree on two counts here:

1. If you hurt a star player and no penalty is called, you have to answer the bell. Especially if you're a legit scrapper. If Bowen or Bilcke did what Thomson did last night, I'd be disappointed.

2. I've watched four of Thomson's fights this season. Other than Bowen, which one wasn't he given a shot at? The one off the draw, the one in Erie where they squared-off, or the one with Gemel Smith where he wanted Smith and had to be held back by the officials?

Closed Thread