HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Jesus

vCash: 500
Prometheus (2012)

Not only is it disappointing, considering everyone involved, and the sci-fi universe it takes place in, but it is actually quite a bad film

5.5/10

Old
12-12-2012, 06:12 AM
StringerBell

Bourne Legacy (2012)
51/100

A wholly mediocre film that was predictable every step of the way. The writers really dropped the ball on this one, and no one offered anything of significance to save it. Would not watch again.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
What are some of your other favorites off the cuff. I had not interest in seeing it but if your tastes are at all similar to mine then I might check oit out based on your recomendation.

I like Ben Affleck (not counting Gigli/Pearl Harbor, feel free to flame away) and am rooting for him to do well here.
The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum are must-watches, IMO.

If you like Ben Affleck, you have to watch The Town.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
12-12-2012, 04:26 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
There Will Be Blood

8/10

Old
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
kihei

vCash: 4632

This Is Not a Film (2011), directed by Jafar Pahani: In 2010, Pahani, the Iranian film director of Mirror (discussed on the "movie of the week" page) and Offside, was sentenced by the state to a six year prison term, still under appeal, and a 20 year ban on writing and directing films, as well as a ban of equal length on leaving the country. He is currently under house arrest and could be whisked away to prison in a heartbeat. In part, his perhaps unwise response to this violation of his human rights was to make this documentary, which depicts a day in his life under house arrest in his very attractive apartment in Tehran. The film is meant to show the severe limitations on his freedom, both personal and artistic, which it does, but he is such a creative artist that the movie is actually continuously interesting and entertaining. There is a cast of characters who almost seem scripted as they fit into the film so well. After a brief fruitless telephone conversation with his lawyer, we first hear from his wife and son who are delivering New Year's presents to friends and family; they give him a call to remind him to make sure he feeds Igi or their daughter will kill them if anything happens to her pet. Igi turns out to be a four foot long iguana who at one point crawls up on the preoccupied Pahani's lap like a kitten before finally settling in precariously on the top of a nearby book shelf. Later a friend comes over to be a cameraman for Pahani, and cautions Jafar not to say "cut," as that's directing, and he mustn't do it. Cleverly acting out the scenes, Pahani reads parts of a script of a movie that he was going to make but was forbidden to continue, and for the only time in the film, his emotions get the best of him. Overcome with feeling, he pauses briefly and eventually says in frustration "If we could tell a film, why would we make a film?" A neighbor with a noisy dog and a young arts student doubling as the building's garbage collector for a few days also figure prominently and humorously.

I felt such conflicting emotions watching this film. The nature and extent of Iran's oppression is amply demonstrated; the nation's ultra-repressive laws seem like a kind of self-inflicted madness. The point that suspicion has become part of life's necessities is subtly made, too. But Pahani's bravery and good humour, and his sheer skill in making such a fine work out of this material, provides my strongest impression. In anyone is an example of the strength of the human spirit under even the most soul-destroying circumstances, it is Pahani.

This Is Not a Film makes a superb companion piece with Bahman Ghobadi's Rhino Season, another film that also uses cinema in an imaginative way to underscore the despicable treatment with which Iran attempts to intimidate and silence its artists.

subtitles

Best Documentaries of 2012 so far

1) This Is Not a Film, Pahani, Iran
2) Stories We Tell, Polley, Canada
3) Storm Surfers in 3D, McMillan/Nelius, Australia
4) Searching for Sugar Man, Bendjelloul, Sweden/UK
5) Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Gelb, Japan/US
6) Chasing Ice, Orlowski, US
7) The Imposter, Layton, UK
8) The Swell Season, August-Perma/Mirabella-Davis, Ireland

Last edited by kihei: 12-18-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 12:33 AM
kihei

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), directed by Peter Jackson: The Dwarves long to return to their ancestral mountain and retrieve the treasure that they were forced to leave behind, but they will have to slay a very formidable dragon to do so. Gandalf decides to help them, and he enlists a reluctant Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) into joining the cause. Compared to The Lord of the Rings trilogy that is not much plot to hang three movies on. Still, most of the people who loved the first trilogy likely won't mind, because this new one is more of the same all around: much talk, followed by a lot of running from one place to another, interspersed with (mostly) clever action sequences. Unfortunately the ugly Orcs remain paper tigers when it comes to fighting, so visual razzle dazzle replaces any semblance of tension. Freeman is well suited to play the lead hobbit but Richard Armitage as Thorin is a leaden replacement for Viggo Mortensen in the go-to hero role. The ending is like bad opera, and it takes nearly three hours to get there. All in all, the movie is handsomely mounted, but hit and miss. It has all the heart of a theme park ride.

Last edited by kihei: 12-14-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 01:16 AM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - 10/10

Old
12-14-2012, 08:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Killing Them Softly: 9/10
I was beginning to wonder if my heart had deadened to movies as a whole these last few weeks...I haven't seen much (new or old) but what I have seen has not excited me. Maybe it's for that reason that I'm overrating Killing Them Softly...its flaws may be more apparent in a stronger year. But as 2012 winds down and looks more and more like a dud of a year in films, thank god there was this movie. It's not perfect, it's not brilliant, but it was incredibly enjoyable. The political theme may have been laid on too thick for some - indeed, we could probably have cut out a couple of those radio snippets or voiceovers from Bush/McCain/Obama. But I didn't really mind. The atmosphere was incredible (a huge strength of Dominik's previous outing), the soundtrack great (if as unsubtle as the political subtext - VU's "Heroin" while they're shooting up heroin? Really?), and the acting is top-notch. I don't know much about Andrew Dominik but our sensibilities and appreciations seem to be pretty much in line.

Bad Santa: 4/10
Isn't it awful when an otherwise respected and trusted and reliable friend hypes a movie up to you, forces you to watch it together, and all you can do is sit there stonefaced wondering what on earth they see in this movie? To be fair, a lot of people like this movie - I didn't. It wasn't funny and I wasn't hoping for any kind of redemption for Billy Bob Thornton's character, so with very few laughs and no rooting interest, what am I doing here? I will concede that it was a great acting job on his part, definitely the movie's highlight. Otherwise, who cares?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:57 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Killing Them Softly: 9/10
I was beginning to wonder if my heart had deadened to movies as a whole these last few weeks...I haven't seen much (new or old) but what I have seen has not excited me. Maybe it's for that reason that I'm overrating Killing Them Softly...its flaws may be more apparent in a stronger year. But as 2012 winds down and looks more and more like a dud of a year in films, thank god there was this movie. It's not perfect, it's not brilliant, but it was incredibly enjoyable. The political theme may have been laid on too thick for some - indeed, we could probably have cut out a couple of those radio snippets or voiceovers from Bush/McCain/Obama. But I didn't really mind. The atmosphere was incredible (a huge strength of Dominik's previous outing), the soundtrack great (if as unsubtle as the political subtext - VU's "Heroin" while they're shooting up heroin? Really?), and the acting is top-notch. I don't know much about Andrew Dominik but our sensibilities and appreciations seem to be pretty much in line.

In case you haven't noticed, Survive Style 5+ is coming up on the "movie of the week" thread. I didn't pick it to lure you in, but I thought later that we never had a proper discussion of that one, so you might be interested. It's my next pick after Vivre Sa Vie, so it won't be coming up for a while.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

In case you haven't noticed, Survive Style 5+ is coming up on the "movie of the week" thread. I didn't pick it to lure you in, but I thought later that we never had a proper discussion of that one, so you might be interested. It's my next pick after Vivre Sa Vie, so it won't be coming up for a while.
All right! I'll definitely pop in to give my thoughts and look forward to reading everyone else's. I've seen it so many times I don't feel the need to see it again

Old
12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
eldiablo17

The Man With the Iron Fists (2012)

Strangely enough this is a film where its greatest strength and greatest weakness are both it's direction. RZA has a vision; this is a relentless, bloody, exploitative film that takes no prisoners. All these aspects are things I really appreciated about the movie and are what makes worth watching... if it is worth watching at all. I say that because at the same time RZA's obvious lack of experience brings this movie down. The editing of action sequences isn't great and I think that is mostly due to the poor shot coverage they did, the story is far too convoluted for such a simple tale, and while it does embrace its own ridiculousness, Iron Fists is heavily inspired by anime which does not always work in live action. Given how much this movie borrows from much better films, I can't help but think it should had just been a loose remake of something like "Yojimbo" or a Leone western, in the same vein of the exceptionally fun Korean film "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" adapted the source material. Then we could have focused on the type of film RZA wanted to make rather than what actual content there was.

There are some redeeming factors to this movie and I think it is better than many of the other "western" Asian action films that have come and gone in the past few years but it still isn't as technically sound or fun enough to make it notable.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
The Man With the Iron Fists (2012)

Strangely enough this is a film where its greatest strength and greatest weakness are both it's direction. RZA has a vision; this is a relentless, bloody, exploitative film that takes no prisoners. All these aspects are things I really appreciated about the movie and are what makes worth watching... if it is worth watching at all. I say that because at the same time RZA's obvious lack of experience brings this movie down. The editing of action sequences isn't great and I think that is mostly due to the poor shot coverage they did, the story is far too convoluted for such a simple tale, and while it does embrace its own ridiculousness, Iron Fists is heavily inspired by anime which does not always work in live action. Given how much this movie borrows from much better films, I can't help but think it should had just been a loose remake of something like "Yojimbo" or a Leone western, in the same vein of the exceptionally fun Korean film "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" adapted the source material. Then we could have focused on the type of film RZA wanted to make rather than what actual content there was.

There are some redeeming factors to this movie and I think it is better than many of the other "western" Asian action films that have come and gone in the past few years but it still isn't as technically sound or fun enough to make it notable.
Wow, that's a pretty forgiving review of a movie that definitely doesn't deserve it

Old
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Wow, that's a pretty forgiving review of a movie that definitely doesn't deserve it
Haha, you're probably right. Sometimes you just have to accept an experience happened, roll over, go to sleep and move on. Which is what I tried to do last night. It certainly wasn't good but I will stand by it being better than Ninja Assassin or that one Josh Hartnett was in from a year ago. At the end of the day while it did very little well, I wasn't offended by it and it never made me angry just watching it which I guess bumps it away from being a horrible movie for me. It just... exists in some indifferent part of my conscious now.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Haha, you're probably right. Sometimes you just have to accept an experience happened, roll over, go to sleep and move on. Which is what I tried to do last night. It certainly wasn't good but I will stand by it being better than Ninja Assassin or that one Josh Hartnett was in from a year ago. At the end of the day while it did very little well, I wasn't offended by it and it never made me angry just watching it which I guess bumps it away from being a horrible movie for me. It just... exists in some indifferent part of my conscious now.
Yeah I judge my bad movies on a similar scale. Iron Fists was a bad movie, but not a rage-inspiring one or anything. I think I gave it a 3.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Yeah I judge my bad movies on a similar scale. Iron Fists was a bad movie, but not a rage-inspiring one or anything. I think I gave it a 3.
In all fairness I was quite intrigued when it first came out due to the style and cast, if I saw it then I probably would have been a lot more disappointed, seeing in now let me come in with very low expectations. On my own little notepad I think I gave it a 2/5.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:09 PM
StringerBell

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
65/100

Maybe my expectations for this were too high, or I'm simply 5 years too late, but this documentary just didn't do it for me. I expected stronger voices and stronger convictions, but it seemed to be lacking direction. The California piece with interviews from Gray Davis and clips of Enron traders' phone calls discussing their unethical behaviour was the strongest part. They really dropped the ball when covering the company Execs, however. Interesting watch but not something I'd feel compelled to recommend.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Shareefruck

Safety Not Guaranteed - 2/5
Sort of annoyingly hipstery.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Sleepwalk with Me

The story of Mike Birbiglia and his experiences with a fledgling comedy career, a staled relationship, and a sleepwalking disorder.

Movie wasn't as funny as I expected, but was honest and heart felt. Type of movie that might get some people really thinking about where they are in their own life if they were involved in a relationship that didn't seem to be progressing natural. Even, perhaps, eye opening to some.

7/10

Old
12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
The Hobbit 8/10

Not as great as the LOTR trilogy, but still great nonetheless. However if you go into the movie expecting it to be as good as LOTR you will likely be disappointed. The back story, at the beginning, and introduction were bit dragged out, but as the movie went on it got continuously better. The cinematography, score, and Andy Serkis were all fantastic.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
The Viper
Legolas

The Hobbit - 10/10

I loved this movie, it was amazing, really glad PJ kept the movie as close to the book as possible and the other awesome part was that we get a sub plot into it unlike the book and And Serkis omg was amazing as Gollum again, he definitely deserves an award for it

Old
12-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Dave

The one thing that bothers me about people who are watching lotr and now the hobbit, is how often they laugh at Gollum as though his point in the movie is to make it more light-hearted a la jar jar binks in starwars. Gollum isn't comedic relief, he might be one of the most disturbed characters in the entire series.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:45 AM
eldiablo17

The Lord of the Rings, Episode 1: The Albino Menace (2012)

Although I write that in jest, I believe it is a lot more helpful to approach the movie in this way rather than just an adaptation of "The Hobbit". This isn't "The Hobbit" as we know it, but a prequel for the events of the Lord of the Rings much in the same way, quality aside, the Star Wars prequels were. The focus is different from the book and the sense of stakes is substantially higher. Once we get by that this isn't solely about Bilbo's adventure we can move on to see if this adaptation of the origins of the Lord of the Rings has any merit.

The answer for me is mostly yes. This is a solid adventure film, not nearly on the level of the original trilogy but it does enough right to keep its head above water despite the myriad of problems. There is way too much fat on this movie, it moves around too quickly to keep the tone in check, it has poor character development, and I thought it borrowed a little too much from the LOTR, as well as a bunch of other complaints I could make. Nothing major just several little inadequacies when combined just bring down the overall quality. What I did really love was the sense of fantasy Peter Jackson was able to bring, and given what we know of the Lord of the Rings and the unnecessary intro to the events that led to the Dwarves abandoning the mountain, I thought that was rather impressive. I felt the movie moved quite well for it's time despite the astounding amount of easily, easily, cut-able scenes. Also for the most part I enjoyed the performances, new and old. Particularly Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

I saw this in 3D at 48 fps and for me this was one of the most interesting parts of the film. The 3D is useless here, completely irrelevant. The framerate though was very interesting. I agree with most when they say that it felt off. Many minor movements felt like they moved too quickly, short cuts were hard to comprehend, and in general it looked like a soap opera. I don't want to say it looked bad even at its most uncomfortable because something this new may be just the audience associating it with a low-quality product (Soap Operas or behind the scenes footage) because at it's best I thought it looked amazing. The depth of that was able to be brought to the screen absolutely astounded me. It felt like Peter Jackson was taking me inside the action of some grand play live right before my eyes. It looked spectacular. With how good some of it looked I really think this is the future, maybe not 48 fps, but some advanced number than the norm now. The problem with "The Hobbit" is that I don't think Peter Jackson has any clue how to use 48 fps. I think he was just making a regular movie that happened to be in that format, causing many scenes to look awkward. It may be awhile but sooner or later people are going to figure out how to frame, light, and move around with this and I can't wait for the results.

Finally, I think I have to come down on the pro or con side of the direction Jackson decided to take with this movie. Not doing "The Hobbit" as a standalone, or 2 trim, films and going with something that connects to the Lord of the Rings. It is impossible to give a decisive answer right now and with the best parts of "An Unexpected Journey" coming at the end, I think The Desolation of Smaug has a very good chance of being better. On the other hand I think it is easy to see how indulgent Peter Jackson is being with this material. I hate to make this statement because I have no clue of what the entire trilogy is going to look like, but I think it is crazy how they edited this movie. The fact that they didn't have the balls to cut so many unessential scenes just shows the viewpoint of Jackson to the material, a viewpoint he has stated, that this is the last time he's visiting it so he wants to get everything in. I don't think he is able to make the necessary cuts and thats the reason this has ballooned from one or two films to a nine hour trilogy. So, unfortunately I wish they just stayed away from everything non-hobbit, despite me liking this movie overall and having higher hopes for the next two.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
The Viper
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The one thing that bothers me about people who are watching lotr and now the hobbit, is how often they laugh at Gollum as though his point in the movie is to make it more light-hearted a la jar jar binks in starwars. Gollum isn't comedic relief, he might be one of the most disturbed characters in the entire series.
It's really the evil side of Gollum that makes him disturbing and scary

Old
12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Hugo: I enjoyed it. Visually stunning. I thought the acting was superb. Story was appealing. Overall would give it an 8/10.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Old Joy - 7/10

This movie was very hard to rate. The 7 really doesn't mean a lot at this point. Like Meek's Cutoff and Wendy and Lucy, this movie is very slow. There is a fine line when it comes to slow movies, and unfortunately at times, Old Joy crosses that line into bland territorry. It's really strange, but I have enjoyed the movie a lot more after it's been done than when I was actually watching it. Individually, the scenes are boring, but the film really comes together once it is finished. Without a doubt, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The final scene was also extremely powerful. Reichardt showed the same skill making this that she always does. The scenery is beautiful yet not glamourous. Like with all her movies, everything in the film serves to draw attention to the story, not distract from it.

The Bourne Legacy - 3/10

I liked the original trilogy but this movie just seemed pointless. It didn't make a lot of sense, the chase sequence was far too long and it randomly ended without feeling finished.

Closed Thread