HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread 2: Deal reached in early morning hours

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
That's the point.

The league wants it so that some teams can't just sign all the superstars to these deals that circumvent the cap. They want it so that teams can only have 1-2 top paid players and role players. It makes is so that more teams can sign top talent. Now a player might have to decide to play for TOR for much less then he could in PHX.
OK, but PHX, and other teams have internal cap limits. So if they sign 1 player to a $10+ mil contract, they won't be able to ice a competitive team with that 1 player. So you'll have ****** teams with 1-2 awesome players that never make the playoffs, and you'll have the big clubs with 1-2 awesome players with great depth. It will look like the NBA.

What's wrong with the parity the NHL already has? 19 different cup finalists since the last lockout?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Anything that has ESPN and hockey in the same sentence, doesn't even deserve a view.
Great job at paying attention. Lol.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Great job at paying attention. Lol.
I don't pay attention when I see ESPN and hockey.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Ignoring their lack of hockey coverage, ESPN is the top sports media hub in the U.S. Their written and web coverage of the lockout has been good.

If you want to leak a story to a credible source, that's the way to do it. I am more interested in the possible motivation for the leak. Olive branch? Trying to garner moderate support from the PA & owners. Very similar to how the last deal got done, back channels.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 12-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 01:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
ESPN the TV channel and ESPN.com are run very separately. I personally like both LeBrun and Burnside, I think they each do a good job.

This wasn't an ESPN story, anyways. Any site you go to: Yahoo, SI, foxsports, etc etc would have the same story word for word. It's just an AP release.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Hawkaholic

I'll look into it, then. I just saw ESPN and hockey and looked away.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

News coming out that the NHLPA board gave the players the right to vote for a Disclaimer of Interest and start to decertify.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411653

So they can't vote on the proposal but they can vote on this?

At this point the NHL and the PA are having a stupid off.

NHL - Here is our offer

PA - We would like to get mediators involved again

NHL - No

PA - Here is our counter offer

Fehr - "You guys we are so close to being back to playing" What they said no already?

Bettman - Everything is off the table

NHL - Fine we'll meet with the moderator

Moderator - I ALREADY told you your both retarted and that's all I have to say

NHL - Our offer is back on the table but it's take it or leave it.

PA - Oh yeah! We allow our players to vote to decertify.

I really can't wait to see Bettmans response, will it be to fold the NHL and file bankrupcy?

At this point it's really about the ego's of 2 men and how that is more important then getting hockey back.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Illinihockey

Bet the PA decertifies in the next few weeks and the season is dropped

Old
12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Bet the PA decertifies in the next few weeks and the season is dropped
Can also put the 2013-14 season to rest as well ,, This would be long court battle

Old
12-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Can also put the 2013-14 season to rest as well ,, This would be long court battle
Historically, deals get cut before the court battle plays out. Owners don't want to open up their books so they become more reasonable.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Historically, deals get cut before the court battle plays out. Owners don't want to open up their books so they become more reasonable.
But NHL unlike other leagues is truly not in good financial shape ,, I could see NHL taking this all the way

+ if court finds in there favor they can pretty much force any deal on players they want

And unlike NBA/NFL this move by players at last minute may actually be event that kills this

NHL is running out of time to get a year in and if they find this move to be final straw they may just go ahead and cancel it if they are that strong in there belief they can win a fight before the courts (NHL has always been confident they can fight an Anti-Trust claim). NBAPA/NHLPA did not take this course of action at 11th hour which allowed for some dealmaking negotiation

And in NBA the upper class of owners/commish went with a deal that didn't adress the small market issues and we see the small markets paying a heavy price in NBA as more and more dreamteams form and more and more small markets go into financial dire situation

Find it amusing the NHLPA will hold vote on this but wont let there members vote on owners last offer

Old
12-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
But NHL unlike other leagues is truly not in good financial shape ,, I could see NHL taking this all the way

+ if court finds in there favor they can pretty much force any deal on players they want

And unlike NBA/NFL this move by players at last minute may actually be event that kills this

NHL is running out of time to get a year in and if they find this move to be final straw they may just go ahead and cancel it if they are that strong in there belief they can win a fight before the courts (NHL has always been confident they can fight an Anti-Trust claim)

Find it amusing the NHLPA will hold vote on this but wont let there members vote on owners last offer
The NBA claimed 23 franchises were losing money. The NBAPA threatened to decertify and on November 26th they had a deal. Teams claim they are losing money when they really aren't or are engaging in accounting practices that allows them to claim they are losing more than they are. The NHL certainly does not want to open its books up to the NHLPA. All of a sudden Rocky Wirtz won't be able to claim the Hawks aren't making money anymore.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

NHL responds to NHLPA news today by filing complaint with NLRB claiming PA has engaged in bad faith bargaining. Another fight begins...

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...07269791371264
Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The NHL has filed a class action complaint in Federal Court in New York seeking a declaration confirming the legality of the lockout.
And the season is over ,,

Old
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Fight about to go Nuclear

Quote:
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Think it's safe to say that this lockout battle between two sides has entered a whole new stage. Prepare for things to get ugly

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...13221248696321
Quote:
https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw/...14139713183744
@DarrenDreger So if anything todays NHL lawsuit may pressure NHLPA to consider settlement unless they file own lawsuit in California

Old
12-14-2012, 04:40 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

^
Quote:
And the season is over ,,
History has proven time and time again that any threat of decertification means nothing. This is exactly what happen with the NBA before a new deal was struck. This was discussed right before the NFL agreed to terms. Step away from off the ledge.

I'd rather they be doing this than nothing honestly.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
^

History has proven time and time again that any threat of decertification means nothing. This is exactly what happen with the NBA before a new deal was struck. This was discussed right before the NFL agreed to terms. Step away from off the ledge.

I'd rather they be doing this than nothing honestly.
Except the NFL and NBA are not the NHL

Seriously the issues facing NHL are unique and the history of NHL/NHLPA has never been one of actually working thing sout

Everyone comparing path of NBA lockout and NHL lockout need to realize that the paths have nothing in common

Old
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Except the NFL and NBA are not the NHL

Seriously the issues facing NHL are unique and the history of NHL/NHLPA has never been one of actually working thing sout

Everyone comparing path of NBA lockout and NHL lockout need to realize that the paths have nothing in common
The NHL is actually closer to a deal now than the NBA was at that point.

It's not about comparing the two leagues. It's what this vote means. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things. The three situations in that regard are exactly the same. It's the same process in order to invoke the same responses in the same exact court system. It will never go to court. It's posturing and certainly not worthy of your reaction, nor the thread title.

There is a reason why deals were agreed to right after this process started for the other two leagues.

.... and no the NBA and NHL are not that different. NBA was claiming so many teams were losing money which we know to be B.S.

Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

For what it's worth, at least one labour lawyer I spoke with thinks the NHL lockout will end quicker now that it's in the courts.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...10500437233664

Old
12-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

NHLPA/NHL relationship is nothing like any other relationship in sports

This is the most brutal union/league relationship in sports ,,, There is no reason to compare it to any other union/league relationship because

When NHLPA/NHL make moves that could destroy league ,, This isn't a false bluff

This is pure hate we are talking

I would be shocked if this actually led to a settlement ,, I would sport a Stalberg Avy for entire length of season if it happened

That is how confident I am this is going to end the chances of season

Old
12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
NHLPA/NHL relationship is nothing like any other relationship in sports

This is the most brutal union/league relationship in sports ,,, There is no reason to compare it to any other union/league relationship because

When NHLPA/NHL make moves that could destroy league ,, This isn't a false bluff

This is pure hate we are talking

I would be shocked if this actually led to a settlement ,, I would sport a Stalberg Avy for entire length of season if it happened

That is how confident I am this is going to end the chances of season
I'm taking you up on this. We will have hockey in January. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have an agreement this weekend or by next Friday. It's all a side show. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things. The players have not even voted to decertify. There is just a possibility they can vote.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:

NHL is running out of time to get a year in and if they find this move to be final straw they may just go ahead and cancel it if they are that strong in there belief they can win a fight before the courts (NHL has always been confident they can fight an Anti-Trust claim). NBAPA/NHLPA did not take this course of action at 11th hour which allowed for some dealmaking negotiation

And in NBA the upper class of owners/commish went with a deal that didn't adress the small market issues and we see the small markets paying a heavy price in NBA as more and more dreamteams form and more and more small markets go into financial dire situation

Exactly my reaction as well.

The NHL remains a step ahead in this cat and mouse game however. Fehr has probably fed the players more BS along the lines that it has worked for the NBA, it will work here. Just the threat of decert should be enough to squeeze more out of the owners. Wrong again Donald.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Hawkaholic

I find it more amusing that the owners aren't voting on anything. And when they do vote, they only need 8 out of 30 to deny/accept.

...and the majority of the players would say no anyway, whats the point of voting when they already know the result.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:01 PM
needle

RIP Chicago Bandwagon
2008-2012

Old
12-15-2012, 12:03 AM
massivegoonery

Of all the players unions, the NHLPA is the only one with the balls to actually play this **** out until the end. Good on them.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Recoil

Quote:
So you KNOW he's serious if that's what he's putting on the table.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Of all the players unions, the NHLPA is the only one with the balls to actually play this **** out until the end. Good on them.
Decertification would be a disaster for absolutely everybody, including us fans. No idea why you think that's good.

Closed Thread