HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

All CBA talk. A deal? A deal!!!

Old
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Royisgone

vCash: 500
Interesting article from Scott Burnside suggesting a deal can be done.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...cba-right-here

We will find out soon enough if one side or both is willing to lose an entire season over this.

I have a feeling something like what Burnside lays out will be done, and reasonably soon.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Aaron Ward from TSN is reporting that the NHLPA executive board (ie, the player reps) voted last night to have the rest of the membership vote to authorize a disclaimer of interest.

Basically, if this vote passes, the exec board CAN proceed with the disclaimer. They don't have to.

Probably a last ditch effort to get an agreement done that saves the season. If the PA files the disclaimer, almost no chance they get any kind of season in. (Although the disclaimer is a faster process then decertification.)

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Aaron Ward from TSN is reporting that the NHLPA executive board (ie, the player reps) voted last night to have the rest of the membership vote to authorize a disclaimer of interest.

Basically, if this vote passes, the exec board CAN proceed with the disclaimer. They don't have to.

Probably a last ditch effort to get an agreement done that saves the season. If the PA files the disclaimer, almost no chance they get any kind of season in. (Although the disclaimer is a faster process then decertification.)
Now we just need to fans to file a similar Disclaimer of Interest and have the NHL self-implode.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Now we just need to fans to file a similar Disclaimer of Interest and have the NHL self-implode.
Where do I sign

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Just read up on the timeline of the recent NBA lockout. The disclaimer of interest was the tipping point of that lockout to get a deal agreed to. So I guess there's some hope there that the same could happen.

Although lets not kid ourselves. This is the NHL. If there is a way to mess it up, they'll find it.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Just read up on the timeline of the recent NBA lockout. The disclaimer of interest was the tipping point of that lockout to get a deal agreed to. So I guess there's some hope there that the same could happen.

Although lets not kid ourselves. This is the NHL. If there is a way to mess it up, they'll find it.
Wasn't there a much larger disparate between the 2 sides though in the NBA negotiations?

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:05 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Wasn't there a much larger disparate between the 2 sides though in the NBA negotiations?
You could argue that. Some of the similarities are hilarious though. Players were making 57% of revenues, league said 22 teams lost money, it's basically a carbon copy of where this lockout started in many respects.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
You could argue that. Some of the similarities are hilarious though. Players were making 57% of revenues, league said 22 teams lost money, it's basically a carbon copy of where this lockout started in many respects.
Gee, whose right-hand man did Bettman used to be? Stern's. Which law firm also reps the NBA? Proskauer. And the NBA's attorney? Batterman.

Similarities, indeed. Gary wants his old boss's CBA.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Ah, for some reason, I thought it was 60%+ for the players for some reason.
I hope this makes something happen, but I doubt the NHL is moving from their position.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Ah, for some reason, I thought it was 60%+ for the players for some reason.
I hope this makes something happen, but I doubt the NHL is moving from their position.
Well, the hook here is control of the process. Right now, the league holds all the cards. The only way the players can get back in is to agree to what the NHL wants.

If the union dissolves and sued the NHL, that changes the equation. The league can no longer dictate. Things then become up to the court to decide, and the league will be stuck accepting the court rulings, or litigating the heck out of things. Either way, they lose control of the process.

It's the only real chip the players have to play. It will either push both sides toward an agreement quickly, or torpedo the entire thing.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:35 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

But if the NHLPA decertifies Donald Fehr will not be in the room--surely that will destroy the planet and ruin any chance for the poor players to get a fair share from the greedy owners?

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:59 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

NHL just filed suit in federal court to declare the lockout legal, and filed an unfair labor practice complaint with the NLRB. Basically a pre-emptive strike to get ahead of the PA filing their disclaimer.

What a crapshow.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
aceface33

Quote:
NHL just filed suit in federal court to declare the lockout legal, and filed an unfair labor practice complaint with the NLRB. Basically a pre-emptive strike to get ahead of the PA filing their disclaimer.

What a crapshow.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
But if the NHLPA decertifies Donald Fehr will not be in the room--surely that will destroy the planet and ruin any chance for the poor players to get a fair share from the greedy owners?
As FDR said, The only thing we have to fear is Fehr itself.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
It's finally in the courts. Thank God. Maybe this thing will finally end soon.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

What would be the upshot if the teams losing money went chapter eleven/bankruptcy? How would that play with nhlpa attempts to force the owners to carry on a losing business and what impact would it have on not only the individual players but also the mass of players re future employment?

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
What would be the upshot if the teams losing money went chapter eleven/bankruptcy? How would that play with nhlpa attempts to force the owners to carry on a losing business and what impact would it have on not only the individual players but also the mass of players re future employment?
I don't even....

Old
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's finally in the courts. Thank God. Maybe this thing will finally end soon.
I don't think so. Both sides are in it to win now as evidenced by the NHL's 2 legal moves today. Obviously I hope I'm wrong

Interesting note, Miller's comments to Mirtle about disclaimer/decert is cited in the NHL lawsuit.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
littletonhockeycoach

It's evident to me that the NHLPA hardliners are not interested in any deal that makes them look like they gave into the League. I think they would rather blow it all up than repeat 2004-05.

It sounded like substantial progress was being made last week between the players and the gamg of 6 owners (Tues). But I suspect that was threatening to the hardliners who took back control after Tuesday's meetings which resulted in a train wreck. (For the record, I felt Bettman's outrage was petulant and childish but I suppose he had his reasons. Remember, all these guys are professional attorneys and every thing they say or do or emote is a calculated tool of the trade. Sorry Hizzhonor.)

The PA would rather "die on its own hill" now rather than accept a deal that's perceived as having been authored by the League. It's become all about who is in control and it doesn't matter who gets hurt in the process. Winning has been defined (redefined?) as not giving into the other party

This has gone too far and unless the membership (or the BoG) revolts, the season is gone. And probably next season as well.

Good thread title. A pox on both houses.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I wonder what regulars that post here won't be back after the lockout (aka, done with the NHL)

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:46 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I wonder what regulars that post here won't be back after the lockout (aka, done with the NHL)
As fans we like to make these empty threats, but we all come back.

And the NHL knows it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
As fans we like to make these empty threats, but we all come back.

And the NHL knows it.
Sucks but truth

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:46 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Buffalo native, Sabres fan since 1970 who bleeds blue and gold, overall hockey junky. Nothing beats the drama of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I never really left and admit I'm not going anywhere.

But the spectacle both parties have made of this is embarrassing, idiotic and will be shown to have been totally unnecessary. It's left a bad, bad taste in my mouth.

Both sides have taken the game I love, it's traditions and best qualities, and smeared them across the glass in the name of indignant self rightiousness.

Squabbling over perceived injustices disguises nothing other than narcissismic self interest and selfishness. Both sides puff up like roosters on steroids clucking about how they are being disrespected or abused by the other side. All played out to and thru the media.

You'd think one or the other side would realize how unique it is that they are able to play a game (for pay) or to own a team?.

When I put this in perspective after watching the horror of NewTown and what those poor parents are going thru, all I can say is both sides in this dispute are a bunch of selfish rat ********.

They should have the common sense to be celebrating their good fortune. Instead they are tearing it down in order to win what will prove to be an illusionary pyricc victory.

What a bunch of @sses.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Afino
The Juice

I'll watch, but I'll refuse to support via my wallet for a long time to some.

However, at this point, I don't care if they lose the season anymore. I've found other stuff to do.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I'll watch, but I'll refuse to support via my wallet for a long time
Ideally, that's what I would do.

But I know that if there's a mini-season and Center Ice is reasonably priced, I'm buying it.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote