HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2 View Post
Niagara doesn't have a captain, soo...
No problem with RNH as captain, makes sense, but for some reason I thought it might go to Jenner.
He isn't exactly the most composed player on the ice so I'm glad he wasn't named the Captain.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Should've been Huberdeau.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
So many hurt bums over the Captaincy.

Doesn't matter who got letters, the team will be just fine in the leadership department.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Should've been Huberdeau.
You mean the guy with such great composure that he tackles refs?

Old
12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
You mean the guy with such great composure that he tackles refs?
Who wouldn't trust a guy that has the sense to tackle refs ?

Old
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
True Hockey Fan

vCash: 500
Camara - Danault - Lipon

A good 4th line. Speed, skill, physicality, agresivity.... I think they will light up against Russia and USA

Don't worry about offense or scoring. The most important thing is denfese. If we don't allow more then 3 goals, it's ok. What I see in this team is speed, skill, skill, speed and good defense ability. And that's very important on the big ice. Well, I can't wait for the game in Finland. I guess Paterson will be in the net.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Hamilton isnt even the Captain of his junior team. I figured it would have been Huberdeau or Harrington.

Then again neither was RNH.
How do people figure that Huberdeau/Harrington/whoeverelse should have been captain. It logically doesn't make any sense. How do you argue not giving RNH the captaincy? He is the BEST player on the team, has the most experience and has pretty much scored at a PPG clip in the NHL! People actually think junior experience > NHL experience?

This doesn't come as a surprise to me, great job by Team Canada the choice was probably ridiculously easy for them to make using simple logic.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:12 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
There goes any chance at gold...
You are correct. I don't like this team and I've said it in previous posts. Rnh is going to get hit and hit and hit out of the tournament team Canada has picked a small team. Wilson should have been on this team also McNeil

Spot is a fool. He can't see what will happen. You don't need Lipon or drouin.
They are 1 injury away from 4 th place. I hope that heads will roll at HC after this wjc

My lineup trying to put some big bodies per line. I don't want any players on my team getting abused.

Strome-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner--Drouin/ratie
Hudon--Danault Lipon/ratie

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Last edited by MyNameIsNobody*: 12-14-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Spl
Old
12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
How do people figure that Huberdeau/Harrington/whoeverelse should have been captain. It logically doesn't make any sense. How do you argue not giving RNH the captaincy? He is the BEST player on the team, has the most experience and has pretty much scored at a PPG clip in the NHL! People actually think junior experience > NHL experience?

This doesn't come as a surprise to me, great job by Team Canada the choice was probably ridiculously easy for them to make using simple logic.
Disagree with your logic.

Yeah RNH played in the NHL but what does that mean? Connolly played in the NHL last year, Schenn the year before that, but they werent captains.

To me RNH got named captain because of the way he has handled himself since being loaned to Canada. He has come in with no sense of superiority, and appears to have set a real good example for Mackinnon. Hes not the most vocal kid, but when you look at him now, hes come miles from the way he was since he got drafted.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

RNH is named captain, I expect an Oilers hate circle jerk to start up soon.

RNH's captaincy percentage is unsustainable.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm pretty rattled McNeill didn't make the team. I thought he would be really really effective on the third line. I'm not sure what Drouin will add to the team.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
RNH is named captain, I expect an Oilers hate circle jerk to start up soon.

RNH's captaincy percentage is unsustainable.
This whole martyr complex is old and tired.

As for the WJC, excited to see how things play out.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Landeskog: AHAAHAH I'm Captain of the Avalanche!!!

Nuge: hehe Cool. I'm the Captain of a country.
Hahaha Because technically RNH is. Country does sound more impressive even if the age of the teams they captain is different.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Disagree with your logic.

Yeah RNH played in the NHL but what does that mean? Connolly played in the NHL last year, Schenn the year before that, but they werent captains.

To me RNH got named captain because of the way he has handled himself since being loaned to Canada. He has come in with no sense of superiority, and appears to have set a real good example for Mackinnon. Hes not the most vocal kid, but when you look at him now, hes come miles from the way he was since he got drafted.
RNH's NHL experience has been quite different from that of a Connolly or a Schenn. As a first overall pick, playing in a Canadian market, he has been under a microscope and probably had more microphones shoved in his face than the rest of the team combined. This makes him very well suited to the media obligations of a captain.

Add to that he has already achieved the immediate aspiration of even the most gifted players on Team Canada; that is, playing significant minutes in the NHL. They will naturally look up to him.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:29 PM
SDig14

I think the leadership will come from many players.

There will be guys like RNH who lead by example on the ice, and there will be some really good leaders in the room that don't need a letter to do their job.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Clearly the choice was made based on who could afford to take the team out for perogies and ice cream after games.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Rnh is going to get hit and hit and hit out of the tournament team Canada has picked a small team.
How exactly did you come to this conclusion? Has he been hit out of games in the NHL? Nope. Has he been hit out of games in the AHL? Nope. Was he hit out of the tournament in the WC? Nope. Yet, you think he won't be able to handle the physicality of a U20 tournament? The kid is 6'1 and I bet around 185 right now, he isn't exactly small for a U20 tournament. He isn't big by any means, but what you posted is ridiculous.

Last edited by Kid Dynamite: 12-14-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
You are correct. I don't like this team and I've said it in previous posts. Rnh is going to get hit and hit and hit out of the tournament team Canada has picked a small team. Wilson should have been on this team also McNeil

Spot is a fool. He can't see what will happen. You don't need Lipon or drouin.
They are 1 injury away from 4 th place. I hope that heads will roll at HC after this wjc

My lineup trying to put some big bodies per line. I don't want any players on my team getting abused.

Strome-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner--Drouin/ratie
Hudon--Danault Lipon/ratie

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon
Who do you expect Canada to play, the 1975 Philadelphia Flyers?

Old
12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
How exactly did you come to this conclusion? Has he been hit out of games in the NHL? Nope. Has he been hit out of games in the AHL? Nope. Was he hit out of the tournament in the WJC? Nope. Yet, you think he won't be able to handle the physicality of a U20 tournament? The kid is 6'1 and I bet around 185 right now, he isn't exactly small for a U20 tournament. He isn't big by any means, but what you posted is ridiculous.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
RNH's NHL experience has been quite different from that of a Connolly or a Schenn. As a first overall pick, playing in a Canadian market, he has been under a microscope and probably had more microphones shoved in his face than the rest of the team combined. This makes him very well suited to the media obligations of a captain.

Add to that he has already achieved the immediate aspiration of even the most gifted players on Team Canada; that is, playing significant minutes in the NHL. They will naturally look up to him.
Good point.

All in all, I thought Huberdeau would get it because he is a returning player, has been commonly seen by most as the best player in the CHL for the past 2 years, and was the primary Captain at the Summer Series. Not sure if his actions in his last junior game changed things, but he would have been my pick.

of course, in the end, you cant really go wrong

Old
12-14-2012, 05:41 PM
SDig14

Quote:
How exactly did you come to this conclusion? Has he been hit out of games in the NHL? Nope. Has he been hit out of games in the AHL? Nope. Was he hit out of the tournament in the WJC? Nope. Yet, you think he won't be able to handle the physicality of a U20 tournament? The kid is 6'1 and I bet around 185 right now, he isn't exactly small for a U20 tournament. He isn't big by any means, but what you posted is ridiculous.
No kidding.

RNH is good because of the fact his head is NEVER down, and his vision is his best asset on the ice.

The kid rarely gets hit, in fact he throws more hits than he receives. It is pretty clear to anyone that has watched him play for any length of time.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Who do you expect Canada to play, the 1975 Philadelphia Flyers?
Apparently people are worried the Swedes and Russians are going to run us over? It seems a bit strange.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Apparently people are worried the Swedes and Russians are going to run us over? It seems a bit strange.
Even if we went with a "bigger" team, I'd still be worried about beating the Swedes and Russians. I'm confident Canada will win it all, but I think it will be a harder path to gold than people seem the think on here. Most teams got relativly better. Russians and Swedes are maybe a bit weaker, but still have some great players. With that said, I did state that Huberdeau should've been Captain, but I should've added that I don't mind Ryan Nugent-Hopkin being Captain. He doesn't seem to be a vocal leader, but considering the fact that most if not all of the players on the team are leaders for their respective junior teams, I don't think being vocal or not will matter, because one of them is going to step it up if the need being.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Typical Canadian way.

Call the other teams soft.

Then when a Canadian gets blasted, omg suspension suspension.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:00 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Even if we went with a "bigger" team, I'd still be worried about beating the Swedes and Russians. I'm confident Canada will win it all, but I think it will be a harder path to gold than people seem the think on here. Most teams got relativly better. Russians and Swedes are maybe a bit weaker, but still have some great players. With that said, I did state that Huberdeau should've been Captain, but I should've added that I don't mind Ryan Nugent-Hopkin being Captain. He doesn't seem to be a vocal leader, but considering the fact that most if not all of the players on the team are leaders for their respective junior teams, I don't think being vocal or not will matter, because one of them is going to step it up if the need being.
Ya, I would imagine they should be fine.

It's tough to think that the Swedes will be as good this year. They will not have Mika Zibanejad, and potentially there 2 best defenders in Brodin and Klefbom, who was rumoured to be their captain, are both hurt and will not play.

I think it's clear Canada is the heavy favorite on paper, but like you said I think it will be closer than some think and anything can happen in one-game eliminations. There are no guarantees of gold, but anything less will be a disappointment.

Closed Thread