Notices

2012/2013 Prospects Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Bjorklund is having a very productive year, there is no question. However it is now four years after being drafted and he is only now starting to put things together. I hope the best for him but the odds of him ever playing a game in the NHL are incredibly low at this point.

He should have no problem carving out a productive career in the SEL from the looks of things though.
This I entirely agree with. I think he will have a good career for himself in Sweden and perhaps Russia. Either way it's probably a moot discussion for the purposes of this thread.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:01 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
This I entirely agree with. I think he will have a good career for himself in Sweden and perhaps Russia. Either way it's probably a moot discussion for the purposes of this thread.

he reminds me of martin thörnberg...

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Congrats Tyler Wotherspoon for making team Canada!

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Great news for Wotherspoon! When the season started I don't think any of us would have expected this.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

So Flames prospects at WJC:

Canada:
Tyler Wotherspoon (D)

USA:
Jon Gilles (G)
Patrick Sieloff (D)
John Gaudreau (F)

Finland:
Markus Granlund (F)

Who'd I miss?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
So Flames prospects at WJC:

Canada:
Tyler Wotherspoon (D)

USA:
Jon Gilles (G)
Patrick Sieloff (D)
John Gaudreau (F)

Finland:
Markus Granlund (F)

Who'd I miss?
is the US roster official?

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
is the US roster official?
Not yet all 3 goalies are going for sure but I think they have 2-3 extra defensemen and 3-4 extra forwards.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Not yet all 3 goalies are going for sure but I think they have 2-3 extra defensemen and 3-4 extra forwards.
Thats what I figured, last time I checked the roster TSN they had 9 Defence so theres probably 2 more left to cut.

Gaudreau has to be a lock for them, and i think the odds of Sieloff making it are still somewhat good. Gillies taking the number one I don't think is impossible but the odds are he'll probably end up the backup IMO.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Thats what I figured, last time I checked the roster TSN they had 9 Defence so theres probably 2 more left to cut.

Gaudreau has to be a lock for them, and i think the odds of Sieloff making it are still somewhat good. Gillies taking the number one I don't think is impossible but the odds are he'll probably end up the backup IMO.
I think Sparks gets the backup job to be honest Gillies had a bad summer camp.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
MVW

Sieloff is a game changer and would be a huge asset for the U.S. in a tourny like this. I think he makes it.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Sieloff is a game changer and would be a huge asset for the U.S. in a tourny like this. I think he makes it.
I don't think he will penalties are a huge blow to teams in a one game knock out tournament and with international rules and refs he could be given a major for hitting to the head even if it would be legal in the NHL.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
MVW

Quote:
I don't think he will penalties are a huge blow to teams in a one game knock out tournament and with international rules and refs he could be given a major for hitting to the head even if it would be legal in the NHL.
That's a good point. Sieloff although does pick his spots pretty good and I wouldn't say he's a dirty player at all, but yeah I agree the international rules are alot tighter.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
That's a good point. Sieloff although does pick his spots pretty good and I wouldn't say he's a dirty player at all, but yeah I agree the international rules are alot tighter.
We have seen him twice this year get thrown out of a game for hits I would say are legal in the NHL but the CHL puts a lot of emphasis on protecting players and I think the international rules puts more emphasis on player safety. I think he has the skill to play for the US team but I think it would be safest for the team to not bring him.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
MVW

Quote:
We have seen him twice this year get thrown out of a game for hits I would say are legal in the NHL but the CHL puts a lot of emphasis on protecting players and I think the international rules puts more emphasis on player safety. I think he has the skill to play for the US team but I think it would be safest for the team to not bring him.
My last argument for Sieloff would be that I think he reads and thinks the game quite well. The OHL is a different game than international hockey and hitting is one of his strengths and he is able to play to that in the league he plays in. I'm sure he could dial that aspect of his game down with not much difficulty, and focus on playing a solid game from the backend and chipping in a little from the point.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Penalties should not be an issue for Sieloff. He has played 11 international games for the US in the past and has one minor infraction.

I would be extremely surprised if he did not make the team. Outside of Jake McCabe, not a single player in camp brings a playstyle remotely similar to Sieloff's. His grit and willingness to win will be the main reasons he makes the team. He is also one of the best players defensively in camp which can not hurt, and his mobility is good enough to translate to the larger ice surfaces.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Penalties should not be an issue for Sieloff. He has played 11 international games for the US in the past and has one minor infraction.

I would be extremely surprised if he did not make the team. Outside of Jake McCabe, not a single player in camp brings a playstyle remotely similar to Sieloff's. His grit and willingness to win will be the main reasons he makes the team. He is also one of the best players defensively in camp which can not hurt, and his mobility is good enough to translate to the larger ice surfaces.
It's true that he has done well in the past about he has had 2 incidences just this year in the ohl which might make team USA think twice but I hope he does make it.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:38 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
It's true that he has done well in the past about he has had 2 incidences just this year in the ohl which might make team USA think twice but I hope he does make it.
He was not suspended for either hit though, and one misconduct was actually rescinded afterwards IIRC. You are correct though that discipline is an incredibly important factor in this type of tournament, but Sieloff has shown in the past that he can play within the limitations enforced by IIHF.

I can understand where you are coming from but don't think (and hope..) it will be much of a factor in the selection process considering his history with the program.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
He was not suspended for either hit though, and one misconduct was actually rescinded afterwards IIRC. You are correct though that discipline is an incredibly important factor in this type of tournament, but Sieloff has shown in the past that he can play within the limitations enforced by IIHF.

I can understand where you are coming from but don't think (and hope..) it will be much of a factor in the selection process.
Actually given that Noesen is suspended for the WJC I think he will make it.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Another reason why Sieloff will make it, is because he and Trouba were defense partners last season. Chemistry in a short tournament is vital so having a defense pairing that knows each other well is a huge advantage.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:30 AM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
I believe team USA will make their final cuts after the pre-competition games in Helsinki next week. Which means the three Flames still in the mix are all travelling to Europe and most likely seeing ice time in those two games (vs. Sweden and Finland, both broadcast by TSN).

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Baertschi (8th) and Gaudreau (20th) make Craig Buton's list of top 30 prospects.

Full list here.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:17 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Baertschi (8th) and Gaudreau (20th) make Craig Buton's list of top 30 prospects.

Full list here.
I am shocked to see Gaudreau so high but I love that he is getting some recognition for how well he has played over the past year and a half.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
FLAMESFAN

Wahl has been on fire for the past month after a slow start. Hope he can stay healthy and get another cup of tea with Abby sometime this year.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Wahl has been on fire for the past month after a slow start. Hope he can stay healthy and get another cup of tea with Abby sometime this year.
He may get a shot when the lockout ends depending how the team ends up but I doubt it.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:42 PM
MVW

I think it may be to little to late for Wahl and the Flames. They have drafted so many more skilled players over the last 2 seasons that are Feasters guys and I don't really see where he fits into our plans. Just my thoughts.

Its hard not to recognize Gaudreau's accomplishments. The NCAA is a tough league and Johnny has been dominant not playing alongside Kreider. Nothing is a guarantee with prospects, but the Flames definitely appear to have 2 gems in Sven and Gaudreau.